Airport-resort transporation?

lonegungirl

Mouseketeer
Just wondering what other solos do getting from the airport to the hotel--Mears seems cheaper, but people say it could take hours to get to the hotel. The transporation board largely recommends towncar service, but mostly for groups of people--it's fairly expensive for one, I would think.

Any ideas?

I always splurge and take a town car service. It's nice to sit and relax in a town car instead of being in a big bus with a ton of screaming kids :) I figure I'm worth the extra money, and I usually save a good chunk of change by doing the grocery stop to get breakfast items and snacks.

Karen

if only for a few days - I take mears....

if I am going for at least 5 days or more - I rent a car.

but I haven't flown in a long - long - time....

there are others airport shuttles besides mears - they cost more (of course if you bring that thing from WDW - they will generally match your price) - but you get on their van - (not Bus) - so either no other stops - or maybe one or two...

I've done both several times, keep switching back and forth since I don't know which I prefer. Last time I took Mears and had a very pleasant time-waited less than 15 minutes, nice conversons on the way to the hotel-even met another solo whose mother-in-law was so shocked over her going alone that she and her husband stopped talking about it, let the MIL think she wasn't going! I'm going to take Mears again in January, then see what I think. So I'm sorry I can't give you an answer on which is better-after 6 solo trips, I still haven't figured that one out!

I'm still torn about Mears, so this is no real help in your decision!

I go back and forth - Mears is the least expensive for a olo, esp if trying to stay within a budget...my concern is not how long I'll have to wait at the airport, but how early I'd have to be picked up by Mears to make an 8:15 flight out of MCO...Town Car service will pick me up at 6:30 which is early enough!!

It is about $87 more (including tip) to use a Town Car..wow..did not realize the savings!!!

Maybe Mears is calling my name! Five nights at Disney this time.

:sunny:

I didn't realize there were other shuttles besides Mears...I'll have to investigate them. What thing from WDW?

Thanks for all the input!

Originally posted by lonegungirl
I didn't realize there were other shuttles besides Mears...I'll have to investigate them. What thing from WDW?

Sometimes there is a $3 discount coupon included in your reservation confirmation.

:sunny:

I was very pleased with Mears, but last time I was there was 2001. I hardly had to wait at all and I thought is was very economical.

One thing I'm doing for my December solo trip is the following:

I'm getting two one-way car rentals from Alamo.

I'll arrive 1pm on a Wednesday. I'll pick up a compact car from Alamo at the airport. $26.03 all taxes and fees.

From the airport, I'll head to Universal Studios until closing, then I'll stop off at Wal-Mart or Publix and pick up a few essentials, then off to check into my Disney resort.

The next morning early, I'll drop the car off with the valet at the Dolphin and head for the Studios. (Some say just telling the valet to check the car in upon opening is sufficient, others say you may need to go to the desk once it opens at 9am)

The day before my return home, I'll be at Epcot. I'll swing by the Dolphin Alamo rental desk before they close at 4pm and pick up my rental keys and paperwork for my return trip. ($32.51 all taxes and fees) I'll then head back to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations. After that is over, I'll stop by the Dolphin again and have the valet get my car from the lot and head to my resort.

The next morning, I'll load my stuff into the rental car after checking out and drive over to Universal and spend time until about 3pm at Universal, then head for the airport returning my car.

So for a price in between Mears and a towncar, I get two trips over to Universal, an unlimited grocery stop, and even a stop at Belz outlet if I wish. I'm also not paying for days I don't need on a rental car.

Carol

Does the car rental thing only work at the Swan & Dolphin? What if we are staying at the Poly and AKL?

The Dolphin is where the Alamo/National rental car desk is.

I personally will be staying at Ft. Wilderness. It doesn't matter where you stay to use the rental car desk.

The day I drop off the car, I'll be going to MGM Studios, so it is a short walk/boat ride from the Dolphin to get to the Studios.

The day I pick up my car for the return, I'll be at Epcot, so it is a short walk/boat ride from Epcot International Gateway over to the Dolphin.

Carol

I love Tiffany town car service. Their cars are clean and the drivers are always friendly. Ive been using them for years and never had a bad trip. If you request in advance they will do a 20 minute complimentary grocery store trip. Check out thier website you can print a $10 off coupon.

Crystal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter