Airport Experiences in SoCal

When was the last time you flew out of LGB?

I flew out of there a few times last year. None this year since for various reasons, all of my trips involved LAX. I know they're supposed to be finishing up a new terminal or something but unless you don't have to go into that outside courtyard or walk to planes anymore, there's still some outdoors parts involved.

You people who hate LAX crack me up. All I can assume is that you have no experience with actual airports anywhere else.

If you can get a convenient non-stop flight from where you live to either SNA or LGB, then yes both of those airports are smaller with all the commensurate benefits (and drawbacks). ONT and BUR are less convenient for getting to and from Disneyland, so even if you can get non-stops to/from them, they are not going to be a good choice.

LAX is a world-class airport that serves tons of airlines, has a wealth of flight times to choose from, offers every possible rental car option, and is convenient to several of the nation's most-trafficked interstate highways. Getting to and from the airport is no harder (and in fact easier) than pretty much any other major airport in the country. But if you'd rather pay more for less convenient flight options to those other local airports, have at it!

Getting an Uber/Lyft from LAX is really annoying since you have to take the bus to this lot which takes a lot of time. Many airports allow much more direct pickup. Even airports like SFO allow you to just go upstairs and get an Uber/Lyft.

LAX also does not have a central rental car area so you sometimes have to wait a long time for your specific rental car company's shuttle.

CLEAR in LAX is often closed which means longer lines at security.

The layout of LAX is very inefficient from a foot-traffic perspective. Airside, they have walkways on either end of terminals meaning you often have to walk nearly the entire length of multiple terminals to get to the Centurion lounge which can take 20+ minutes from far terminals. SEA for example, has the Centurion lounge in the center making it easily accessible from all gates and has a consolidated rental car facility.

I will give LAX credit for the fact that their Global Entry lines from international arrivals are generally accurate and efficient. Global entry at SFO can sometimes be extremely inefficient and have misidentified me before, leading to delays with TSA. And I guess I should also give them credit for the fact that they have decent lounges for Star Alliance and OneWorld elites even though it can be sometimes annoying to go all the way to the international terminal to use them.

I do agree though that I wouldn't prefer to fly into ONT over LAX for Disneyland. I have flown BUR but only because I was planning to stop somewhere else on the way and it made sense.

You people who hate LAX crack me up. All I can assume is that you have no experience with actual airports anywhere else.

If you can get a convenient non-stop flight from where you live to either SNA or LGB, then yes both of those airports are smaller with all the commensurate benefits (and drawbacks). ONT and BUR are less convenient for getting to and from Disneyland, so even if you can get non-stops to/from them, they are not going to be a good choice.

LAX is a world-class airport that serves tons of airlines, has a wealth of flight times to choose from, offers every possible rental car option, and is convenient to several of the nation's most-trafficked interstate highways. Getting to and from the airport is no harder (and in fact easier) than pretty much any other major airport in the country. But if you'd rather pay more for less convenient flight options to those other local airports, have at it!

Well, let's see. I have flown into or out of the following airports:
YYJ (this is my home airport and I laugh at the fact that it is technically an international airport. 13 gates and 2 baggage carousels, lol!)
YVR
YYC
YUL
YEG
YYZ
YOW
SEA
SNA
BUR
LAX
MCO
PSP
IAH
JFK
CUN
EWR
MSY
ATL

All of those have been within the last 15 years, going back further I would have to add the ones in England, France, Amsterdam, and South Africa (plus others I am 100% sure I have forgotten) but you get my point.

Airports are nothing new to me and I can say that LAX is one of my least favourite airports to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I'll fly there and in fact we are flying out of LAX in April but it is not an easy airport to get around especially if you are flying internationally. And let's not kid ourselves, traffic getting to and from LAX can be pretty awful.

In July, 3 of us flew to LAX on WestJet and 1 on Air Canada. It should be simple to meet up since we were all coming from Canada, right? Well, no because WestJet lands at terminal 2 and Air Canada at terminal 6 so arranging for our car and driver to get all of us was a bit of a hassle.

We clear customs and immigration on the Canadian side (usually either Vancouver or Calgary) so I have no idea what LAX is like to clear there.

LAX is consistently on the top 10 worst North American airport lists, although to be fair, Toronto Pearson (YYZ) usually ranks worse. Having flown through both, I totally agree with that.

I just booked flights today and went with LAX. Cheaper than SNA and better flight times allowing for longer day on our departure day, hopefully it isn't an utter disaster to drive back to LAX HAHAHA

Unless they change the plan, it should drastically cut down on the number of buses going through the loop, especially at Arrivals. It'll entirely get rid of the Rental Car buses and the C-Line shuttle. I believe hotel shuttles and some buses will move over to the West ITF, with local buses moving to the East ITF. (Hopefully, anyway.)

I'm quietly hoping that a direct Metro route might encourage more people to go that way, too. (Weirdly, Google Maps doesn't know that the C-Line shuttle exists, so their route recommendations can be stupidly over-complicated, and often include a mile-long walk to/from Sepulveda via a local bus route.)
Oh yes, I think the APM would help a lot! I think the goal was to get it ready in the for the Olympics? But, another delay to Feb 2025 would still meet that goal. (Obviously, the sooner, better. 😁)
I would hope the APM would carry people over to a transportation center. Would the APM take the place of the C-line?
I have been tempted to try to take the mass transit option to DL, but at this point it seems to take a long time with multiple transfers. It would be really cool if they could come up with a quicker option.
(Also wish they would do a train at MCO to WDW, but I guess that train has left the station. 😁)

I would hope the APM would carry people over to a transportation center. Would the APM take the place of the C-line?
The East ITF station on the APM will be both a C-line and K-line station. So it'll be a direct connect.

They're doing something smart - they're turning the C-line north at Aviation / LAX (where the shuttle currently goes) and having the C-line terminate at the East ITF. The western stations that are currently on the C-line will become the southern leg of the north/south K-line. So it means that people will be able to go directly to LAX (finally).

I have been tempted to try to take the mass transit option to DL, but at this point it seems to take a long time with multiple transfers. It would be really cool if they could come up with a quicker option.
I've only taken the mass transit option once, and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Google Maps is missing the C-line shuttle, so their time estimate is about a half-hour more than it actually is in reality. It's still really long, though. (And the C-line is just "okay" as far as train lines go.)

That one trip, it took two hours from the moment I stepped on the C-line shuttle at LAX to the moment I stepped out at the Harbor drop-off. (I had another half-hour walk to my hotel.) I did get lucky at Norwalk, though - I was expecting to have a 20-minute wait for the 460 bus, but the previous 460 was running late, so I walked out of the station and hopped right on.

But that 460 bus is a slog. It's marked as an Express, but it's a Local from Norwalk to Fullerton, and there are a million stops. I wish there was a 460A that just hit the highlight stops occasionally during the day. But, honestly getting from LAX to DLR for $2 was kinda nice. (Not something I would do regularly, but, as a solo traveler, I don't mind that if I have nothing planned and no reason to hurry.)

I do think I got lucky, though. I think that trip could easily have been another half-hour or more.

I also took the Metrolink option once. FlyAway bus to Union Station, Metrolink to ARTIC, then OCTA. It took maybe twenty minutes longer, but I also got super lucky with my arrival time - I only waited about ten minutes at each stop. But it was honestly kinda nice - broken up like that, it didn't feel like two hours. (The train is a little bit more fun than the buses.)

(Also wish they would do a train at MCO to WDW, but I guess that train has left the station. 😁)
Agreed! I'm trying out the Mears option on my next visit to see how it compares. (I used to get a rental car, but I figured if the bus option more or less worked at DLR, I might as well try it once at WDW.)

I fly regularly for work (2-3 times a month, internationally a few times a year). LAX is most definitely not easier to get to than any other major airport in the country. The lack of public transit connections alone makes it less accessible than many other airports of the same size. And the layout of the airport is terrible. I often have to go from a domestic terminal to the international and it’s comical how many twists and turns it takes to go from one terminal to another.

I've travelled all around the world. LAX sucks. Don't be so presumptous about people on this board. You sound like you work in PR for LAX. 😂

In fact, many large international airports suck. Air travel can be a MASSIVE hassle for all sorts of reasons. So if I say LAX sucks, it doesn't mean other airports don't suck. Many of them do. But, yeah, LAX definitely sucks.

I've travelled all around the world. LAX sucks. Don't be so presumptous about people on this board. You sound like you work in PR for LAX. 😂

In fact, many large international airports suck. Air travel can be a MASSIVE hassle for all sorts of reasons. So if I say LAX sucks, it doesn't mean other airports don't suck. Many of them do. But, yeah, LAX definitely sucks.
I’ve flown LAX for 40 years. It has been and continues to be the worst. I’ve had easier times at Ohare.

We always go to SNA for DL trips. Soooo much easier and less stressful to fly into than LAX. I'd rather tack on an extra hour or so of flight time to end up at SNA with it's easy-peasy and quick exit, then be at the parks/hotel in half an hour or so. Have never tried ONT or even looked at flights there. How far a ride is that to DL?
It took us about 45 minutes when we came in at super high rush hour and were in the road between 4pm and 5pm.

I’m from Houston (very large international airport here) and have flown all over the world. We’ve gone to all the major airports on the east coast, west coast, and Europe as well as some in the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico. I can tell you I have definitely flown into many major airports including CDG which is a similar size. LAX is my least favorite every time I fly into it to the point that we won’t fly into it anymore.
I live by Ohare and I can tell you getting there is a heck of a lot easier than LAX. Plus as I stated the airfare to SNA is comparable if not cheaper
Agreed. Not a fan of LAX. Traffic is awful, airport is set up in an odd configuration, and rental car pickup is always a hassle. Definitely not a fan of LAX.

International visitor from Europe. I have to LAX as thats where the direct flights from my country go to.

My country Ireland, has a special arrangement with US Homelands Department where we do passport and custom checks in Dublin airport. This means we arrive at LAX the same domestic passengers.

Pre-clearance! It's so weird -- you pass through US CBP on foreign soil, and there's these giant signs that say "WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES" with murals of the US national monuments all over.

I did this in Vancouver, BC and it was odd physically being in Canada while being welcomed into the United States, and still spending money in CAD.

We fly from the east coast, and especially given the inconsistency of flights over the past few years, I'll take a nonstop over any flight with a layover, no matter the airport. There are 3-4 nonstops between LAX and our home airport every day, and you can't beat that in terms of flexibility. We couldn't go nonstop into any other SoCal city except San Diego. We usually stay at a hotel near LAX and book a 5/6 AM flight on our departure morning. Helps us get back on east coast time and avoids the anxiety about rush hour and traffic before an evening flight.

My advice is to avoid checking bags when flying into LAX if at all possible. I've only flown through there because I can get a direct flight and had ABD to pick me up, but even still baggage claim took nearly an hour of waiting around.

I can also get a direct flight to John Wayne, but it usually costs more and is further from my friend who I usually stay with in LA.

My advice is to avoid checking bags when flying into LAX if at all possible. I've only flown through there because I can get a direct flight and had ABD to pick me up, but even still baggage claim took nearly an hour of waiting around.
For international people, flying with only carry on may not be an option.

My family is flying into LAX in a couple of weeks, and now I have anxiety lol. We are also renting a car which sounds like will add to the headache as well. I'm just thankful that DFW is my home airport and is generally a breeze.

My family is flying into LAX in a couple of weeks, and now I have anxiety lol. We are also renting a car which sounds like will add to the headache as well. I'm just thankful that DFW is my home airport and is generally a breeze.

You'll be fine! Give yourself lots of extra time when returning your rental car just in case the shuttles take awhile, since all rental car facilities are technically offsite. We have pre check and only do carry-ons and left our airport area hotel at 3 AM for a 5 AM flight. We returned a rental car and still had plenty of time to sit at our gate before boarding. Had we needed to check a bag, I would have wanted another 30 minutes. LAX has never seemed any better or worse than major east coast hubs, BUT...we don't check bags and have pre-check. TBH I think those two things make more of a difference than which airport you're using.

I'm just thankful that DFW is my home airport and is generally a breeze.
Give yourself lots of extra time when returning your rental car just in case the shuttles take awhile, since all rental car facilities are technically offsite

That's funny. We recently returned from a trip to DFW had a terrible time navigating the airport. The rental cars are farther off site than just about any other airport we have visited. I guess we are all accustomed to what we use on a regular basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter