Airmiles Armchair Chatter

What is Airmiles cardlink?
Hi Hon
A few select stores
Pay with ANY Mastercard you choose to link gains you airmiles.
"Link any Canadian-issued Mastercard to your AIR MILES® card and get to your next reward sooner. It’s simple, secure and opens up an entirely new way to earn AIR MILES Bonus Miles"

https://www.airmilescardlink.ca/
Their time line for posting Airmiles

I made a qualifying purchase and have not received any Miles. What should I do?​

If you’ve made a qualifying purchase with a linked Mastercard and Miles still haven’t appeared in your account after 30 days of qualifying purchases, don’t worry. Simply file a Missing Miles inquiry and a Customer Care Ambassador will assist you with your request.

My biggest problem with this is they have only a few sponsors and the per mile spend is high.
Subway & Beaver Tails used to be sponsors ,,no longer.

Last edited:
I got a quote for 1 day HS tickets for Dec 15th for 2 people, 4975 AM. I'm not half way there or I'd get at least one of the tickets now. Quote is only good for 2 weeks but at least I have something to aim for. Would save a bit on my December trip (I already bought tickets to MVMCP Dec 14th, still haven't even booked the flights!). It's roughly $350 USD for the tickets, $465 CAD. 4418 AM at 95 AM per $10 CAD. So not really a great deal. But, free.

Hi Hon
A few select stores
Pay with ANY Mastercard you choose to link gains you airmiles.
"Link any Canadian-issued Mastercard to your AIR MILES® card and get to your next reward sooner. It’s simple, secure and opens up an entirely new way to earn AIR MILES Bonus Miles"

https://www.airmilescardlink.ca/
Their time line for posting Airmiles

I made a qualifying purchase and have not received any Miles. What should I do?​

If you’ve made a qualifying purchase with a linked Mastercard and Miles still haven’t appeared in your account after 30 days of qualifying purchases, don’t worry. Simply file a Missing Miles inquiry and a Customer Care Ambassador will assist you with your request.

My biggest problem with this is they have only a few sponsors and the per mile spend is high.
Subway & Beaver Tails used to be sponsors ,,no longer.
Yeah, I consider these as a little bonus if I shop there anyways but I don’t go out of my way. Out West it has Save On Foods which is a grocery chain but I don’t shop there often. If I do though, I will make the purchase up to over $100 with a gift card that we will use (Netflix is good for that) to get the AM. It is only 10 AM for $100 spend though so i rarely do it.

FreshCo has Scneiders bacon on for $3.99 the item pictured in the flyer is Classic cut. I went to the store to pick some up. Both Classic cut and Salt reduced were labelled at $5.99 on the shelf. OK the price will adjust at the cash. Some of the salt reduced had a $4off coupon attached. I'll get that and it will be free.

Got to the cash salt reduced rang through at $5.99 then she took the $4 off. I thought it should have been $3.99 then the $4 off. Anyone else have experience with FreshCo and their sale items in the flyer. Is it only the pictured item. 1688649804963.png

I asked about it at the store and they gave me some song and dance about how it was only the pictured items... I still got a good deal and I know I shouldn't whine but I could have had a better deal.

FreshCo has Scneiders bacon on for $3.99 the item pictured in the flyer is Classic cut. I went to the store to pick some up. Both Classic cut and Salt reduced were labelled at $5.99 on the shelf. OK the price will adjust at the cash. Some of the salt reduced had a $4off coupon attached. I'll get that and it will be free.

Got to the cash salt reduced rang through at $5.99 then she took the $4 off. I thought it should have been $3.99 then the $4 off. Anyone else have experience with FreshCo and their sale items in the flyer. Is it only the pictured item. View attachment 775270

I asked about it at the store and they gave me some song and dance about how it was only the pictured items... I still got a good deal and I know I shouldn't whine but I could have had a better deal.
Hi Hon
I did a check in with Sister who has been shopping and price matching here for years.
She say they always take the coupon off the last ticketed price (non sale).
Sorry Hon but you did score a really good deal for bacon .
Hugs Mel

If anyone is interested, I received a quote from personal shopper for MNSSHP. 2 adult tickets for Sept 1st, 3625 AMs. If my calculations are correct, that's about $381 CND. The cost on the WDW site is $253 US. Using 1.35 as an exchange rate, that would make it $341 CND.
So, not the best deal but not bad either. I've talked with DH and he has decided that he would rather not go. He's a person who likes to go to bed early, get up late. I, on the other had, like to go to bed late and get up late. I might go alone, I have to think about this. Want to go to the outlets that day so I could be wore out by then. Shop till you drop and all. ;)

One day offer! Get up to 100 Bonus Miles
1 AIR MILES Bonus Mile per litre when you fill with any grade Shell Fuel, and 1 Bonus Mile for every $1 spent on Car Wash and qualifying non-fuel products.*
Starts Mon, Jul 10
shelljuly10.jpg
Ready to use

Print

Terms + Conditions​

Offer is exclusive, non-transferable and available only to the recipient of the offer invitation. Collector must click on the “Opt in” button in the offer invitation prior to transacting to participate in this offer. Offer only valid July 10, 2023 at participating Shell locations (excluding Shell Flying J locations). Get 1 AIR MILES Bonus Mile per litre when you fill with any grade Shell Fuel, and 1 Bonus Mile for every $1 spent on Car Wash and qualifying non-fuel products (excludes tobacco products, lottery tickets, gift cards, prepaid credit cards, phone cards, and any other goods or services specified from time to time or as excluded by law). Maximum 100 Bonus Miles per collector number for this offer. No coupon required. A valid AIR MILES card must be presented/collector number entered at time of transaction. This offer may be combined with other bonus offers. Shell reserves the right to make changes to this offer and to terminate the offer at any time, for any reason and without notice. Please allow up to two (2) weeks post-promotion for Bonus Miles to be posted to your collector account.

Hugs Mel

quickly followed by some really f-ing OMG whaaat news
20230707_133609.jpg
Why didn't I know this before I turned down the WestJet offer?!!!

urgh read the fine print - the annual fee is going from $120 to $155.88 ! It's really time to research other cards now

Last edited:
Dang Dang Dang! Jacqueline.
I hate it when credit card companies charge a fee to use their cards.
I know you liked using the Cobalt for Airmiles,,, maybe have a hubby chat about where you see your hard earned Airmiles/points being spent in the future and look for something to fit that.

You'll think of something ,,,yah I know it doesn't take the sting away... but
I am sure if anyone can find a good deal it will be you.
Don't discount WestJet offer ,,bet if you called them they'd still offer it.
Also BMO Mastercard and American Express have a few offers.
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/membership-benefits/air-miles-reserve.html

Thinking of you.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Dang Dang Dang! Jacqueline.
I hate it when credit card companies charge a fee to use their cards.
I know you liked using the Cobalt for Airmiles,,, maybe have a hubby chat about where you see your hard earned Airmiles/points being spent in the future and look for something to fit that.

You'll think of something ,,,yah I know it doesn't take the sting away... but
I am sure if anyone can find a good deal it will be you.
Don't discount WestJet offer ,,bet if you called them they'd still offer it.
Also BMO Mastercard and American Express have a few offers.
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/membership-benefits/air-miles-reserve.html

Thinking of you.
Hugs
Mel
That image I shared is telling us that the Airmiles Platinum AMEX card will be discontinued and if we don't tell them otherwise they will "upgrade" it to the Cobalt card. The reward program seems to be points that you just apply to your statement but the return isn't even close to what we currently get. The increase in the annual fee (we were already paying it, didn't mind that) with the decrease in return led us to decide to drop down to the card with no annual fee. We don't want to have just one credit card - the all your eggs in one basket type thing- so we'll be looking at which card to go with. Might upgrade the Mastercard

guess it makes sense that Amex decided to cut ties now that BMO bought Airmiles, clearly a conflict of interest for them

Now that you mention *Conflict of interest*
So many changes lately.
You can now get Shell gas cards on the Scene+ website.
I thought Petro Canada was their gas station. Oh well.
Ultimate Dining cards are available on Scene Gift Card rewards too.
I know that Starbucks just joined TD Bank.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/credit-cards/starbucks

I know Be Well (Rexall) can be linked to Petro Canada & Royal Bank

Hugs
Mel

try this one on for size, Petro Can is actually joining the Triangle Rewards program- you know, Crappy Tire! It's hard to keep track of everything ! Apparently Canadians are more reward card driven than others and everyone is looking to cash in on our loyalty. However, it's becoming more expensive to offer us the rewards we want which is driving this shuffling of programs.

I'm finding it frustrating to track all of the different offers, stores, which app to open. I've honestly just gotten to the point where if I need something I'll buy it at the store that's most convenient for me!

That image I shared is telling us that the Airmiles Platinum AMEX card will be discontinued and if we don't tell them otherwise they will "upgrade" it to the Cobalt card. The reward program seems to be points that you just apply to your statement but the return isn't even close to what we currently get. The increase in the annual fee (we were already paying it, didn't mind that) with the decrease in return led us to decide to drop down to the card with no annual fee. We don't want to have just one credit card - the all your eggs in one basket type thing- so we'll be looking at which card to go with. Might upgrade the Mastercard

guess it makes sense that Amex decided to cut ties now that BMO bought Airmiles, clearly a conflict of interest for them
I have the Cobalt and it is a hugely powerful travel points card. So much so that it has replaced most other credit cards in my daily use.

It earns at a 5x rate at grocery stores and restaurants.

The Amex Rewards points transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan, 1:1.2 to Marriott Bonvoy, and many other airlines and hotel chains.

I highly recommend it! But I also recommend signing up for it on your own so you can get a welcome bonus. Would be enough for a return flight to Disney on points. And if you sign up through the Great Canadian Rebates site you get money back. ;)

Off to find a Shell that actually has Gift Cards that they can load.
I tried 2 Shell gas stations today and it was a no go,,,can't get them to load.
Come on Shell you are messing up my Amazon Prime plans here.
LOL

Hugs Mel
View attachment 775639

Totally! I’ve been trying to buy a $50 Amazon card to get the AM, as I know with Prime days coming up I’ll be spending there. I’ve been to 3 stations so far with no luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter