AI that's not a "drunk fest"

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
DW & I are trying to figure out where to go for our 30th anniversary in June. We were hoping/planning for Hawaii, but a job change put that out of our reach (cost and time off).

DL is an option (the crowds and the hassle of WDW doesn't interest me).
A cruise is an option
An AI is an option
Gatlinburg is an option.

Is there an AI you can recommend that's not a "drunk fest"? At best we are social drinkers. I will occasionally have a cocktail or beer when out to dinner, DW might have a cocktail or wine. We're not "get our money's worth of alcohol" people.

I am more into activities than DW, but not hugely so. DW likes sitting and cross stitching, I prefer to be moving and will take walks around areas. I like taking advantage of opportunities, but don't like spending money for "extras" (which is why I'm thinking AI/Cruise).

Any thoughts on Apple Vacations (or suggestions of similar)?

TIA

AI's in the Caribbean might be a good option - if you look for ones that are more "family oriented", they tend to be a little less "party" and a little more relaxed (albeit, with a lot more kids running around ;) ).

I like cruising, but even if you're not a big drinker, the little extras do tend to add up during the trip - the occasional drink, maybe a specialty restaurant, plus any excursions, etc.

A few years ago DW and I went to Live Aqua in Cancun and it was definitely not a drunk fest. It's on the pricey side, which probably limited those just wanting to get drunk at the cheapest price possible, but we went in the off-season when prices were lower. Beautiful, relaxing, good food--highly recommend.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...h_Resort_Cancun-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

There are also some good cruise deals right now so it's a good time to be looking. We like to check out Vacations To Go:

https://www.vacationstogo.com/

And Travelzoo has weekly specials on cruises and other vacations with a Top 20 list every Wednesday:

https://www.travelzoo.com/

Well, we're not really AI people, but we have been to a couple. If the Pacific coast of Mexico is of interest, we stayed at Melia, Puerto Vallarta. Nice location on the beach, across the street from the Marina and away from the most hectic part of the tourist zone but still walkable and very reasonably-priced ocean-view jr. suites. Specifically addressing the liquor situation, I was actually surprised at how few places there were to get a drink. There was a lobby lounge that was open in the evenings with sedate piano music, pool bars during the day and of course table service at the dining venues. But it really did not seem at all like a place anybody went specifically for the free booze. It would have been possible to stay well-lubricated, I suppose, but you'd really have to work for it.

My husband and I have done sandals. We chose a smaller resort that tended to have an older demographic. I am sure some overindulged but they were a minority. I also liked that they took the no tipping thing seriously and it was nice to lock out wallets away unless we did an excursion or other off site trip.

I'd do a cruise, on a line like Celebrity.

Disneyland would be my second choice. DCA is a great place for adults to just hang out and relax with a drink while enjoying atmosphere. You don't have to "do" a lot and the small footprint of DLR makes it relaxing. I'd splurge on a room at the Grand Californian and a celebratory dinner at Napa Rose, along with some spa treatments or massages.

My husband and I have done sandals. We chose a smaller resort that tended to have an older demographic. I am sure some overindulged but they were a minority. I also liked that they took the no tipping thing seriously and it was nice to lock out wallets away unless we did an excursion or other off site trip.
Which Sandals did you go to?

Couples in Jamaica is my favorite resort brand. Sans Souci tends to be the most romantic I think. They only allow couples, so I think that cuts down on some of the rowdiness. They offer a lot included in the price, like a trip to Dunns River Water Fall if you stay in Ocho Rios, a snorkeling trip, some different water sports, and a shopping trip. Sans Souci has some beautiful areas to walk. I have been there a couple times myself and just send honeymooners in September.

We've found Sandals tend to not be a "drunk fest," although we've also stayed at several Iberostar resorts and not felt that the vibe was an overall "party" atmosphere. We prefer Sandals as it's couples only. We've done the ones in Jamaica (South Coast), Grenada, Bahamas (Emerald Bay), Antigua, & Curacao (their newest). We were scheduled to go to St. Lucia but canceled due to COVID and haven't yet rescheduled. We were going to stay at the smaller one in the middle, as you can stay at one and play at all three (free shuttle service between the resorts).

We went to Aruba as a family years back and while not all inclusive I don't remember thinking the island was over the top pricey and it had a family friendly vibe with plenty to explore. The whole family stayed at a timeshare but the Hyatt definitely caught my eye for my to do list.

I would also say the Disney Cruise was wonderful & if I was of the mind to entertain a cruise this would be the likely choice, mostly because everything was top shelf & the adult only space was blissfully under-occupied. This cruise was very much a 5 star experience IMO.

We enjoy Dreams resorts. Have done them with our kids and certainly not a booze fest. Not sure if they have them in Hawaii (we did Mexico). There’s one in Costa Rica that looks nice (Our favorite place to travel )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter