• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I have noticed some people claiming there is no DAS abuse.

I know anecdote is not data, but my sister falsely claimed DAS for the past few years for her family of five for her two week break.

She has been trying to talk me into doing it by telling me how easy it is. She learned about it from someone from work.

I took great pleasure in smugly telling her they were locking it down. She is going to try anyway for this summer, will be interesting to see if she can still get it!

I know anecdote is not data, but my sister falsely claimed DAS for the past few years for her family of five for her two week break.

She has been trying to talk me into doing it by telling me how easy it is. She learned about it from someone from work.

I took great pleasure in smugly telling her they were locking it down. She is going to try anyway for this summer, will be interesting to see if she can still get it!
Keep us posted. Will be good to know how easy it will be to get DAS for scammers, and if the new system works.

And anyone applying on May 20th or after regardless of their trip date (since you could in theory apply day of, it’d just be via video chat at WDW instead of with a live person).

Essentially the easiest way to think of it is this:

Applying May 19th or earlier for WDW DAS? Old Qualification Rules & Party Size Rules but possible new changes to how DAS works in the parks while you’re there (Ex. 10 minute rule).

Applying May 20th or after for WDW DAS? ALL New Rules Apply. New process in parks starts. New accommodation options SHOULD be available to utilize in the parks and therefore will be assigned instead of DAS for some guests.

All these date specifics make my head hurt but at least we mostly get how the transition will work now 😂
Along with Disney tossing this out there with (perhaps intentionally) vague language around DAS alternatives, the dates have been kind of confusing. My sister and brother-in-law have a WDW trip planned beginning June 3, so calling 30 days before (early May), she said she's still confused about whether she will be evaluated for DAS under the new criteria or the old. She's leaning towards waiting until she gets there to do the chat with the accommodations team.

My sister and brother-in-law have a WDW trip planned beginning June 3, so calling 30 days before (early May), she said she's still confused about whether she will be evaluated for DAS under the new criteria or the old. She's leaning towards waiting until she gets there to do the chat with the accommodations team.
If she does pre-registration sometime early in the 30-day window (early- to mid-May prior to May 20th), the old qualification rules will be in effect.

If she does pre-registration on or after May 20th, the new qualification rules and potentially alternate accommodations will be in effect.

If she waits until she arrives, registration will still be via video chat, and unfortunately we don’t know if that will be a separate connection link or if it will just be the regular link with potentially hours wait. If she goes that route please let us know how it works.

If she does pre-registration sometime early in the 30-day window (early- to mid-May prior to May 20th), the old qualification rules will be in effect.

If she does pre-registration on or after May 20th, the new qualification rules and potentially alternate accommodations will be in effect.

If she waits until she arrives, registration will still be via video chat, and unfortunately we don’t know if that will be a separate connection link or if it will just be the regular link with potentially hours wait. If she goes that route please let us know how it works.
Will do! And thanks for clarifying the dates - it's been a bit confusing!

I'll pass on what you said about the dates - she may well do it after May 20th, as she's hoping for an alternative to DAS for her needs. For her, she's always felt it was overkill, but there wasn't an alternative, so she used it when she needed it.

Why would they NEED to help the other person? Disney only needs to accommodate a disabled individual's needs, not someone's wants.

A suggestion from Disney could be for possible drop-in travel companions to buy Genie + and to enter LL's together when it's the Genie + members time to go. Another could be to let the non-Genie person wait in line for about the length of standby before the DAS member enters LL.

Many ways for Disney to accommodate the solo disabled traveler without having to accommodate the non-disabled adult traveler who might stop in to the trip. If the solo disabled traveler can travel alone, they already show they don't need the companion pass and a DAS of 1 would be sufficient for need.

It may not be what a DAS holder wants. But return to line and other non-DAS options may not be what other disabled folks want, either. Everyone will fall into the "Disney is looking much more at needs vs wants" policy.
I guessed you missed the part about how Walt Disney created Disneyland so the whole family could do things together? And the logistics of having CMs have to figure out where/when the two adults meet up to ride together is just absurd. I mean, why would there need to be more than one adult in any group then? It could be the one disabled person and one adult to support. no need for DAS to be for any more than 2 people. The other parent, the other kids, they can just go in the standby line too, right? Or buy lightning lane :)

I guessed you missed the part about how Walt Disney created Disneyland so the whole family could do things together? And the logistics of having CMs have to figure out where/when the two adults meet up to ride together is just absurd. I mean, why would there need to be more than one adult in any group then? It could be the one disabled person and one adult to support. no need for DAS to be for any more than 2 people. The other parent, the other kids, they can just go in the standby line too, right? Or buy lightning lane :)

Without minor kids, that may be what's coming. I only mentioned what I did b/c of Disney not letting anyone change DAS parties themselves and having to go back through full reg. Why do that, unless you are looking at 4 as a Max and not a "permitted for all"...

That immediate family original wording may have been pointing right at this issue.

I think this is much more common than people realize. I know someone who was going to try to do it (I don’t know if they were successful though). I know someone else that did successfully use it (they do have a physical disability but claimed something else to get it fraudulently). I know someone who got a pass (similar to Disney) at Seaworld (fraudulently). So we will see if this new process will weed people like that out.

Please keep us posted as to their success obtaining DAS in the future.

I think this is much more common than people realize. I know someone who was going to try to do it (I don’t know if they were successful though). I know someone else that did successfully use it (they do have a physical disability but claimed something else to get it fraudulently). I know someone who got a pass (similar to Disney) at Seaworld (fraudulently). So we will see if this new process will weed people like that out.

Please keep us posted as to their success obtaining DAS in the future.
I agree - we have an acquaintance that does need an ECV for Disney, but for the last two or three years, she's gotten a DAS as well, even though (per her words), the ECV met her needs. No idea what she said to get it, but I know that the last two trips (she's a passholder), her DAS was denied. She wasn't outraged about it or anything, but definitely disappointed...I just smiled inside.

I don’t know if anyone is saying abuse does not exist at all. I am sure it does, I am just not sure it is the main problem. I also don’t want to punish many who need an accommodation to stop a few abusers.
I think based on what Disney has released so far, it's clear that while abuse is a problem, overuse is just as big (or bigger) of a problem.

I don’t know if anyone is saying abuse does not exist at all. I am sure it does, I am just not sure it is the main problem. I also don’t want to punish many who need an accommodation to stop a few abusers.
I agree... there will always be folks who try to circumvent the system, but whether or not it's raging out of control is another issue. Too often it seems "improvements" have unintended consequences.

What ever Disney's reasoning is for changing the DAS System, I just hope that it truly is an improvement, and their good intentions don't affect guests who need the accomodations but are negatively impacted in the process.

But there will always be people "testing" the limits.

I absolutely agree that people should have to provide some sort of actual dignoses note. And agree with the statement that people using the ECVs / wheelchairs now should potentialy no longer be needing the DAS.
However, there are a lot of other hidden disabilities other than cognitive / developmental disabilities out there that are not falling trough the cracks.

1 - we've been asked to stop saying how DAS should be fixed, as Disney has decided and it doesn't include diagnosis note at this time.

2 - mobility disabilities alone haven't qualified a person for DAS for quite some time.

3 - it's important to remember that a person can have more than one accommodation need. A person with a developmental disability and needs that do qualify them for DAS may *also* have a physical disability requiring use of an ECV/wheelchair/stroller as a wheelchair. They shouldn't be denied DAS simply because they have a co-occurring mobility impairment.

I registered this morning. I only waited about 5 minutes which was nice. Today was 30 days from the start of my trip, so my entire trip is after the changes. They also told me that I will have it for the entire length of my trip even though only the first day is currently within 30 days. My condition is one that I think will be addressed with alternative accommodations after the change. They did allow me to prebook some attractions. They did not mention the 10 minute rule, but I did not ask about it either.

Everybody knows there are liars and cheats in this world. I’m sorry you have to see your sibling guide her children along such a path.

Food for thought, I would listen to what she says in how she does it and email it to Disney with the info and her name. Sure it probably won’t get anywhere as far as banning her goes as a claim from some email is not proof of lying but it might help their team as they try to evolve their process to sort the liars from the disabled.

1 - we've been asked to stop saying how DAS should be fixed, as Disney has decided and it doesn't include diagnosis note at this time.

2 - mobility disabilities alone haven't qualified a person for DAS for quite some time.

3 - it's important to remember that a person can have more than one accommodation need. A person with a developmental disability and needs that do qualify them for DAS may *also* have a physical disability requiring use of an ECV/wheelchair/stroller as a wheelchair. They shouldn't be denied DAS simply because they have a co-occurring mobility impairment.
1 - okay but as long as there is no need for a diagnosis note, the risk for abuse will remain much higher.

2 - Did you see that I mentioned 'potentialy no longer need DAS'? Obviously there are a lot of reasons for people needing DAS and still have an EVC/wheelchair. If mobilitiy disabilities alone haven't qualified for a while already, fine.

What you don't address is how people with hidden disabilities will be negatively affected by these changes. This is a step in the completely wrong direction and so much better managed by Disneyland Paris for instance. But let's see how it will work in reality. It will not affect us for quite some time and the process might look completely different in October 2025.

1 - okay but as long as there is no need for a diagnosis note, the risk for abuse will remain much higher.

2 - Did you see that I mentioned 'potentialy no longer need DAS'? Obviously there are a lot of reasons for people needing DAS and still have an EVC/wheelchair. If mobilitiy disabilities alone haven't qualified for a while already, fine.

What you don't address is how people with hidden disabilities will be negatively affected by these changes. This is a step in the completely wrong direction and so much better managed by Disneyland Paris for instance. But let's see how it will work in reality. It will not affect us for quite some time and the process might look completely different in October 2025.
My child has a hidden disability, and I've made comments throughout the thread indicating concern for how those with hidden or rare disabilities will be negatively affected. My child is 1 of 600 in the world. I'm well aware of the concerns.

I appreciate it's a long thread and most won't go back and read through it, but please don't make assumptions.

I registered this morning. I only waited about 5 minutes which was nice. Today was 30 days from the start of my trip, so my entire trip is after the changes. They also told me that I will have it for the entire length of my trip even though only the first day is currently within 30 days. My condition is one that I think will be addressed with alternative accommodations after the change. They did allow me to prebook some attractions. They did not mention the 10 minute rule, but I did not ask about it either.
Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter