Affordable cell phone plan

pittsburghmom

Mouseketeer
My husbands current employer pays for his cell phone. He is leaving to a new position with a different company and will no longer have this perk. We are looking for an affordable cell phone/plan. I am currently on my parents family plan with a basic phone (not a smartphone) for $30/month (I reimburse them the cost of course). We are looking to get me off my parents family plan and get myself a smartphone along with my husband. Where should we start looking for affordable plans? Hubby stopped by Bestbuy on his way home from work and was quoted $120/month for 2 phones/4gb data.

Ting has been great for DH and I for over 2 years. We've traveled coast to coast with great coverage. They have a website with great customer service to get you set up.
Our monthly bill for the two of us, he has a Samsung 9 I have an apple 7 is $40 including tax.
That is for talk, text and data. We love it and have saved a bundle compared to Verizon Wireless that we had for years.

I switched to Total Wireless which runs off of Verizon's towers. It is $100 for 4 lines with 25 GB of data. They have cheaper plans for less phones as well. I got my parents some pretty decent LG smartphones for less than $70 each.

If you have Xfinity internet, then you can get Xfinity mobile, which is the cheapest I've found. Texts and Calls are FREE. Then it's $12 per GB of data. We have 3 phones, and don't allow my daughter to use data on her phone, and our total price for all 3 is usually around $35 a month. They use Verizon towers.

I would ask people in your community who they recommend.

Some companies have more towers and better service and rates in different parts of the country. Also, might want to find out how service is in bad weather.

And reception can vary within a few miles.

The big thing you want to avoid is buying a brand new phone from your new carrier. Sometimes the carriers like to hide the cost when it is spread over 24 months. We have had good success buying manufactured refurbished phones off ebay that last a few years. Currently using Samsung S7 with Sprint. Paying about $90 a month for 2 lines and 50GB data (we use the hotspot as our home internet). They also pay our annual AAA dues.

I have Virgin Mobile (runs on Sprint). It is $35/mo for unlimited talk, text and 10 G of Data. I bought an iphone for $300, since I don't replace my phones until they break. I generally get 3 + years on one.

My spouse uses AT&T prepaid for $40/mo, unlimited talk, text and 4G of Data. We got that iphone for $200 I believe

This article give good basic info on how to figure out what is the best service for your usage and it's easy to update costs via sites such as cnet and whistleout:

http://money.com/money/4807786/best-cell-phone-plan-2017/

As pps have noted the service that works for someone in another region of the country might not be just as good for you due to towers, reception, and where you regularly call.

We use AT+T on a family plan for 3 since it has some of the best reception nationwide and we used the system originally for business as well as personal use.
The other company known for good reception in my region is Verizon.
Many cell providers provide a map of cellphone towers which is also useful in narrowing down choices.
I rarely use the cell provider's data since I get free use via our cable provider when in range. Also my city provides free data within the counties' limit ( NYC encompasses 5 counties) and I've no problem using free Wi Fi at hotels, malls, and while traveling on planes and trains. It's nice when a company allows your data to accrue but not a deal breaker for me. Just be sure you've a good security set up when using free Wi Fi.

HTH

We have Cricket Wireless and have had them for 4+ years. $100/month for 4 lines, all in. Uses AT&T towers, reception is very rarely an issue. Very happy with them.

We have Cricket Wireless and have had them for 4+ years. $100/month for 4 lines, all in. Uses AT&T towers, reception is very rarely an issue. Very happy with them.

We are also happy with Cricket. We've been with them about a year. A Motorola smart phone will run about $40. I just replaced mine after dropping it. We have an unlimited plan for two people for $85 per month. Service runs off AT&T towers.

If you're military or a vet, you can't go wrong with the T-Mobile One plans...with 2 phones on the plan, they include Netflix (so, if you're paying that anyway) and if you have any military experience, you are only $80/month for 2 phones (taxes and fees included)...and it's pretty much unlimited everything with fun entertainment deals as another perk every Tuesday...

We pay $150 a month for 3 smartphones on Verizon. Free text and calls and unlimited data. With teenagers unlimited data is a lifesaver.

I do get $15 off for doing automatic payments and $10 off for having Fios internet.

I pay $80 a month for 2 phones with 4 GB shared data with Verizon. Unlimited texts and calls. I can't imagine ever needing 4 GB of data per month with free WiFi everywhere

I pay $80 a month for 2 phones with 4 GB shared data with Verizon. Unlimited texts and calls. I can't imagine ever needing 4 GB of data per month with free WiFi everywhere

Lots of places have free wifi but they run very slow. Funny enough at my kids schools the connection is very slow. They also use cell phones in class now for schoolwork. My kids stream music and videos so having a good connection is important or the music and videos will keep cutting out. We also use our cell phones to stream music in our cars. That runs on data.

Lots of places have free wifi but they run very slow. Funny enough at my kids schools the connection is very slow. They also use cell phones in class now for schoolwork. My kids stream music and videos so having a good connection is important or the music and videos will keep cutting out. We also use our cell phones to stream music in our cars. That runs on data.
My daughter seems to have found a way to stream music in her car, by linking her Google Phone on WiFi and using the SYNC in her car and not using any data.
Me, I listen to satellite radio. 60's on 6!

My daughter seems to have found a way to stream music in her car, by linking her Google Phone on WiFi and using the SYNC in her car and not using any data.
Me, I listen to satellite radio. 60's on 6!

I drive an old car. No Bluetooth! lol My SO streams though. I wonder if he truly does use data or not??

Also my SO's job does not let employees connect to the wifi on their cell phones. Only lap tops. I'm on wifi all day at work.

I don't think $50 a line is bad for unlimited data. Some pay more for way less data.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter