• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advance dining reservation $ penalty?

MandyLovesMulan

A girl worth fighting for!
Just wondering what activity would trigger the credit card penalty for no-shows. Will you get charged if you show up 10 minutes late? Or do they only charge you if you never show that day?

Just want to know how closely I have to watch the clock, and how nervous I should be if I have an unexpected incident (ride shut down, bus delay/issue, etc.) happen before an ADR?

Will you get charged if you show up 10 minutes late?

It's really restaurant discretion if they seat latecomers, although most will tell you that restaurants try to accommodate within reason.

Or do they only charge you if you never show that day?

See above: "within reason." I wouldn't show up two hours late without a catastrophic monorail failure to back me up. I wouldn't plan to be late. I would be aware of timing. If a ride breaks down, there will be accommodation.

A year ago we had a significant issue at the TTC that prevented us from transferring for our park ADR. The CM at the TTC offered to call the restaurant directly for us to either accomodate a rebooking or to hold the reservation.

Also, not that this is typical, but we had an ADR last trip that we unexpectedly couldn't make. We called Disney dining to cancel within a couple hours of our ADR but we were never charged on our credit card for the cancellation.

You should check in for your ADR 5-15 minutes prior to the actual ADR time.
I'm not sure what the grace period is for being later. Most places I would assume they would hold your table for about 15 minutes after that I'd expect to be charged.
Of course Disney is great about things beyond your control happening so if you were stuck on a ride or someone in your party randomly got very ill I'm sure Disney wave the no show fee if you explained the situation but if you're just late because you are late don't expect mercy.

We were a little late (maybe 10 minutes or so) to an ADR for Via Napoli a few years ago. DH called them to let them know we were running late but on our way. We had no problems getting in once we got there.

Thanks, everyone... I am a strict time keeper, but I have never been to Disneyworld so I just wanted to know what to do in case problems arose.

:-)

We have never been charged and we have been late many times. Sticking to disney's rigid schedule of booking everything in advance doesn't help things. We've been 30 minutes late before and while they weren't thrilled and made us wait a bit, we weren't charged.

I also read I believe on here, that you can just move the reservation to another day further out and then cancel to avoid the fee as well.

You should check in for your ADR 5-15 minutes prior to the actual ADR time.
I'm not sure what the grace period is for being later. Most places I would assume they would hold your table for about 15 minutes after that I'd expect to be charged.
Of course Disney is great about things beyond your control happening so if you were stuck on a ride or someone in your party randomly got very ill I'm sure Disney wave the no show fee if you explained the situation but if you're just late because you are late don't expect mercy.

Tables aren't actually held for anyone. When you make an ADR, you aren't actually reserving a table. Upon check in, you're seated at the next available table for your party size.

We've never been charged for being late, though we were charged a no-show fee for an Epcot meal (I think it was San Angel Inn) a few years ago. It was pouring rain that day and we had no interest in walking from Yacht Club to San Angel and eating a meal while soaking wet so we cancelled a few hours beforehand and tried to get the no-show fee waived but they wouldn't do it. Wasn't a huge issue since it was only $20 but they will charge it most times if you don't show.

in my experience if you can get a CM to log on and cancel an ADR for you they have the discretion of whether to waive or not. During our recent trip I cancelled Sci Fi an hour ahead of time (we just weren't hungry) and a lovely CM at Guest Services waived my fee. Another day my DH was struck down with a migraine and our hotel concierge (Riverside) cancelled the ADR and waived the fee. However, I have no doubt that if I just failed to show rather than call ahead I would be charged.

Finally, we were late for dinner at Park Fare due to Thunder Mountain closing due to inclement weather and our being stuck in the queue (the irony of it being "thunder" mountain was not lost on me) but they were running so far behind schedule it made no difference and they sat us when they had a table.

From experience, the manager goes through the no-shows at closing and charges. So you've got leeway IF there's room for you if you're a little late.

Just wondering what activity would trigger the credit card penalty for no-shows. Will you get charged if you show up 10 minutes late?

ADR "NO-SHOW" CANCELLATION FEES 411:
ALL Table Service eateries, both Disney-owned and non-Disney-owned are covered by this policy.
1) The rule says you are charged $10 per person for "no-show" ADR's.
. . . penalty applies when none of the party appears for the ADR
. . . penalty does not apply as long as some guests in party appear
2) The "no-show" penalty procedure
. . . podium person lists ADR as no-show (checks "On Hold" box in computer)
. . . usually after 30-minutes tardiness you are marked as a "no-show"
. . . once listed as "no-show", your name and number of your guests are listed
. . . the computer is reviewed by a manager at the end of the operating day
. . . the eatery manager SOLELY determines whether or not to charge you
. . . if charged, the cost penalty is on your credit/debit card immediately
. . . there are no exceptions for missing ADR's for such things as late flights
. . . if worried about late/delayed flights, don't book a TS meal until well after arrival time
. . . there are NO exceptions for being delayed due to crowded WDW rides or attractions
. . . it is up to you to plan you day to meet ADR times
. . . if you get there and decide not to wait for your ADR, you WILL be charged the no-show-fee
3) Exceptions - policy
. . . penalty is not assessed for cancellations made the day before ADR
. . . the ADR must be canceled by 11:59pm the previous day to avoid a no-show penalty
. . . for pre-paid meals, there are 24-48 hour cancel periods (eg. CRT, HDDR, Luau)
4) Exceptions - not policy, and at manager's discretion
. . . cancellations for lunch/dinner made early in the same day
. . . you come to the eatery ANYTIME during the same day and apologize
. . . a few minutes tardy, podium person usually will not denote you as "On Hold"
5) No-Show Penalty Trial Period Backstory
. . . this was done on a trial-basis for 4-weeks in Epcot
. . . cut down no-shows by over 75% at Epcot eateries
. . . Le Cellier cut daily no-shows to 1-page from 2-3 pages
. . . now a policy, as no-shows greatly can reduce eatery revenue
. . . a no-show takes a ressie someone else might have kept
. . . the policy was then trialed for character meals and signature meals
. . . being so successful, it is in effect for almost all table service meals across-the-property

NOTE1: During busy periods, there might not be a grace period and late-is-late, and they
might even cancel your ADR. However, whether the ADR was canceled due to tardiness or
not, the penalty fee will not be imposed, as long as you showed at the podium.

NOTE2: IMPORTANT
If you show up 2-hrs before your reservation, you still might get the penalty fee.
The "Ala Carte" dining reservation system
. . . the system only shows/allows only 2-hrs of ADR's for check-in purposes
. . . if you show within that time, the SEATER (aka, host/hostess) checks you in with no problem
. . . if you are earlier or later, the SEATER must write your name and confirmation number down in long hand
. . . the long hand note is given to the manager
. . . the manager, then, will look at the non-shows at the end of the day and not charge you
Why doesn't this happen all the time?
. . . some SEATER's are simply lazy
. . . others just don't care
If you show up 2-hrs early for your ADR, ask the SEATER if they have noted your confirmation number that you have appeared to the ADR.
If the SEATER does not note your arrival, you can bet you will see a no-show penalty-fee on your credit card.

We were at AK on July 5th this year. It was incredibly hot, I had ridden Expedition Everest first thing and was feeling very ill. We had an ADR for lunch at Yak & Yeti so I called and asked about canceling. They did it with no penalty.

I just find it interesting that they would charge a fee since they could easily give away the reservation to a walk up.

2) The "no-show" penalty procedure

. . . there are no exceptions for missing ADR's for such things as late flights
. . . if worried about late/delayed flights, don't book a TS meal until well after arrival time

So, I take it I should cancel my 8:00pm ADR just in case our flight doesn't arrive in Orlando (expected arrival is probably around 12noon same day)... who knows if a terrorist situation may happen in an airport and my flight will be delayed without 24 hours notice.

How easy is it to get a walk-up for a Sunday dinner night at Trail's End?

Any advice?

A little anecdotal addition to TheRustyScupper's history of the No Show Penalty.

I had a friend who would book ADRs at each theme park for each day of her trip so that she always had somewhere to eat no matter which park she ended up in. It is people like her that made it so hard for others to find ADRs and it is people like her who caused restaurants to sometimes have empty tables. She had no intention of keeping three of her reservations each day.

I'm sure she was not the only one doing this.

I personally think they shouldn't have penalties, the restaurants are so booked that if someone drops, someone else is going to take the spot. Plus most of them are so busy they are running behind schedule and won't take walk ins. So if I cancel Chef Mickey an hour ahead of time, they won't find someone to take my place? Pleeeaaase!!!

A little anecdotal addition to TheRustyScupper's history of the No Show Penalty.

I had a friend who would book ADRs at each theme park for each day of her trip so that she always had somewhere to eat no matter which park she ended up in. It is people like her that made it so hard for others to find ADRs and it is people like her who caused restaurants to sometimes have empty tables. She had no intention of keeping three of her reservations each day.

I'm sure she was not the only one doing this.

I think this is why disney limits reservations booked at the same time.

I think this is why disney limits reservations booked at the same time.

There was a glitch for a while on the app that let you book as many as you wanted. There is reasons for booking like the other person and booking multiple restaurants. You book 6 months in advance. Obviously if you book and then you can't get fast passes at a certain park, you aren't going to eat there most likely. Dining and fast passes should be done together. Honestly don't blame that person one bit. I would do it myself if you could still get away with it.

Its actually so bad now that I couldn't book fast passes one night around dinner because Disney was insisting that I wouldn't make the fast passes after chef mickeys and was insisting I cancel my chef mickey reservation. I had to check into chef mickey first and then book the fast pass.

I agree... I had to stick to fastpasses at parks where I reserved dining. Might habe been better to change parks, but all dining was booked already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter