Adult only restaurants...dare I suggest it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cstraub, I respect your opinions but have to disagree that WDW or any other resturant is a great place for your children to "learn" how to behave in nice restaurants. I'm guessing those manners should already be in place. I've had meals ruined, yes ruined, by young children running around. Seems sometimes the parents couldn't care less as long as they're eating the meal they want. It amazes me the lack of consideration displayed by some families. Yes the parents are more to blame, but who to blame wasn't the intent of my initial posting. Again, I was merely suggesting 1 maybe 2 restaurants. As one poster commented, "entitled children have indulgent parents". I guess I just don't understand why some would take serious offense to not being able to bring their 2 year old into a "fine" restaurant that will probably cost over $100 for 2 people. I counted the number of times you and your family have visited Disney properties; 12 times for a total of 79 nights over the last 2 1/2 years. That's great, you're very fortunate. I guess the chances that we'll be sitting next to each other at a Disney restaurant sometime in the future are pretty good. Hopefully by that time all lessons will have been mastered.

WillCAD said:
I think it's a pretty big leap for a kid to go from, "Sorry buddy, that's a restaurant for grown-ups" to "Why do those grown-ups hate me so much they won't let me into that restaurant?"

Being restriced is part of a kid's life. You can't go to school till you're 6, you can't drive a car till you're 16, you can't vote till you're 18, you can't drink or smoke till you're 21. Parents often put their own restrictions on, as well, such as you can't cross the street on your own till you're 10, or you can't ride your bike to school till you're 12, or you can't date till you're 16.

So "you can't get into that restaurant till you're 16" isn't a terribly traumatic experience for a kid. In fact, it becomes one of those wonderful milestones in a kid's life that marks the passage from childhood to adulthood.

Just out of curiosity, perge33, are you against adults-only restaurants everywhere, or just against them at WDW?

Very well said

Robin, thanks for the info- I'm glad I covered myself. I have another question for you though- have you gone to V&A's or Shula's with a child? Just curious what their prodecure is for handling the situation- esp. Shula's with the free childcare. Also, since they don't have high chairs or booster seats, I'm not sure what the protocol would be for that part of it.

Additionally, the Disney Cruise Line has an adult only (specifically stated as such) restaurant Palo, which is excellent. So, it doesn't seem out of line to have one in WDW with probably close to 100 places to dine when there's one on a boat with only 5 real restaurants. No one seems upset about this. It's just a fact of life.

As far as children being hurt, I don't really think they would be. My 3 year old nephew understands the little chair is for him and the big chair is for me. A kid could also understand that Rock N Roller Coaster is for grown ups and older kids and the Barnstormer is for him. Why couldn't a child understand that about a restaurant? (And why can't some adults understand that about Pleasure Island? but that's another story entirely.)

Also, I have to agree with melomouse- kids do need boundaries- as a teacher it's difficult to see kids growing up (yet not always maturing) too too fast- from the "good" to the "bad". As an extreme example- I know a married Junior, three engaged seniors, 7 pregnant freshmen, sophomores or juniors and one sophomore with a 2 1/2 year old child. 8 and 9 year olds are discussing HBO and R rated movies. 3 and 4 year olds are going on the fastest rides in WDW. They make miniskirts and knee high boots in the toddler section! How far can this go? Kids are often in a big rush to do it all and don't see any value in enjoying childhood, enjoying the journey. Adults need to set boundaries so kids are safe and to help them enjoy childhood again. Just let them be little and enjoy all the wonderful things you only get to enjoy when you're little, instead of rushing into the adult world that you live in for the rest of your life. Childhood is comparatively much shorter than adulthood. Let them have little milestones to look forward to as much as they can. It's not good to let them do it all too soon. This is obviously not directly related to restaurants (!) it went much further afield, but I wanted to share my perspective on kids and boundaries.

Anyway, I love the idea of an adult only restaurant in WDW and I think it would do well. I love kids, but I think it's important for adults- singles, couples,parents, whatever- to have a place where they can get away, if only for an hour or two.

I think an adults only restaurant would be nice. :thumbsup2
Can I make a reservation? I like to try all the new dining experiences.

LuluLovesDisney said:
Very well said

Robin, thanks for the info- I'm glad I covered myself. I have another question for you though- have you gone to V&A's or Shula's with a child? Just curious what their prodecure is for handling the situation- esp. Shula's with the free childcare. Also, since they don't have high chairs or booster seats, I'm not sure what the protocol would be for that part of it.

I have not taken my DD to either restaurant. I would never dream of taking her to V&A's and Shulas doesn't have anything she would eat. Plus, she loves the kids club at the Dolphin (which is free for 2 hours with a meal at Shulas or Blue Zoo). They feed her, play with her and give her free game tokens for the Arcade while my DH and I can have a relaxing meal alone. What's not to like?

DH and I have had this same discussion more times than I can count. It usually comes up about 9:30 at night when we are eating in one of the signature restaurants where we are treated to an exhausted, over-stimulated 5 year old (who should be in bed) running around his/her table, making lots of noise, and spilling a drink. It only gets worse if there are multiplemall children at the tabel. This doesn't seem to bother the parents-so if they are oblivious to it, we don't expect them to notice that it is bothering the other diners.

I understand and agree that chldren should be exposed to all types of dining environments and food experiences. We have discussed the idea of certain (signature) restaurants having either separate rooms for adults only or not seating children under a certain age (maybe 10) after 6 or 7 o'clock. The CA Grill used to not seat children in the Wine Room, but the last time we were there, there was a large party with several young children (at 9 PM). Fortunately, these were well behaved and fell asleep at the table as opposed to running around.

Will somebody please explain why parents wait until 8:30 or 9:00 PM to take small children to dinner? The kids are exhausted and cranky and half the time are too tired to eat which only makes the problem worse as the parents try to coax and cajole them into eating. They just want to go to bed.

mrsscooter said:
Even we have two children ages 3.5 and 5.5 and love all things family oriented and especially at Disney, it would definitely be a wonderfull treat to have dinner without the "mommy, he's looking at me" or the constant "sit on your bottom, turn around and eat your dinner and stop looking the other people" coming from our table, or someone elses. And, like someone mentioned, if not an adults only, definitley an adults only section. So, maybe one day there will be a table of imagineers out to dinner to discuss the latest strategies of park planning and get so frustrated with not being able to think or to hear their partners due to the table of children (like mine) next to the, that they will finally "come up" with the idea of an adults only style resturant. LOL -- hopefully I will not get flammed........... :furious:

ITA! Although I do have a DD who is almost 6, I can completely understand wanting to have an adults only restaurant. Even though I have a child, I have gotten very annoyed by other children in restaurants (particularly my SIL, who allows her kids to freely roam and disrupt any given sit-down table restaurant).

But most of my annoyance isn't from a tired child who is crabby, it's from the ones are throwing food, fighting, screaming (not a crying scream), and generally disturbing the peace simply because they can. I can usually tell the difference between a tantrum/meltdown from exhaustion and a kid who likes to "cause trouble" (for lack of better term) and the parents who are basically ignoring the kid.

My DD is reasonably well behaved, but she does have her moments. I'm sure that some other parents with difficult children would appreciate that "serious diners" could go to other restaurants (or a separate section of the same). Next time we go with the grandparents, I'd love for DH and I to have a meal in one of the Epcot restaurants without DD (such as in Italy or France). Love her to death, but I would love the opportunity to enjoy some good dining just the two of us.

Matter of fact, when we went on our first cruise (DD was 1yo), DH told the travel agent he preferred a line that did not usually have as many children. (obviously not Disney, LOL). DD stayed with my mother while we went on that one.

Straughn said:
Will somebody please explain why parents wait until 8:30 or 9:00 PM to take small children to dinner? The kids are exhausted and cranky and half the time are too tired to eat which only makes the problem worse as the parents try to coax and cajole them into eating. They just want to go to bed.

I'd say that it is poor planning on the parents fault, maybe desperation to get an ADR at that restaurant that they didn't think ahead of time. The child was probably dragged to the park at opening and has been going nonstop. Heck, I myself would be cranky by then! My DD would be extremely ill from hunger if we waited that late to feed her. On our 2nd cruise we specifically requested the 1st seating at dinner to avoid that very problem (6:30pm).

I'm not sure if I like your idea or not. From the "it's not fair" standpoint, that's tough because what you're hoping to eliminate (and me too, everywhere I eat) is misbehaving, unruly kids, not kids in general. And of course that's impossible to do. I'm not sure it's fair, for instance, for my well behaved children to miss out on a special dining experience because of the chance they'll be loud or rude. At the same time, if there were an adult-only restuarant, I would not be offended or really care at all. Here's what I'd REALLY like to see happen: a children's curfew...no kids out of hotel rooms in DW after 10 pm. JUST KIDDING of course, but that's my personal pet peeve as a parent...seeing tired kids dragged around way past their bedtimes. I just feel sorry for them! :teeth:

Doesn't the adult-only idea already exist with JellyRolls and PI? :confused3 I haven't been able to read every response, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, just my 2 cents as a parent. Making that rule would eliminate unruly kids at a few select restaurants, but it'll also eliminate deserving kids from the experience. Just not quite fair.

I'm a hopeless case. I guess I'll never understand why some parents refuse to see that there may be some things in life where their children will just have to wait to experience. My parents would never dream of taking me to a bar when I was a kid to drink with their friends. Now I'm not talking about restaurants with a bar in them. I'm talking about the corner BAR. As an adult Ive been in many bars to catch a sporting event and have a beer with other adults and there are the "families" with the kids in tow. Inappropriate? I think so. But there would be anarchy if those cash paying patrons were denied entry. Of course thats a different environment than a "fine dining" restaurant, I understand the difference, but why do parents have to indulge their children with everything?!! A previous poster asked why their children have to be denied the experience of a nice restaurant. Heaven forbid! I never intimated EVERY restaurant at WDW be designated child free. But would they be scarred for life if they couldn't eat at 9:00 p.m. in the Yachtsman Steakhouse? "Not fair" for your children to be "denied a special dining experience"?!! How about it being not fair to be subjected to disturbances in a restaurant that is clearly not for children!! Yeah, I know, EVERY PLACE ON EARTH SHOULD ALLOW CHILDREN. Hey, they Disneyfied Las Vegas, you can't walk down the street without getting hit in the ankles with a stroller. It must be a generational thing. I guess it was an unreasonable suggestion afterall to expect such a small concession. What's that you say?!! We're denied the opportunity to be inconsiderate of others in ONE restaurant?!! Let's throw our park hoppers into Lake Buena Vista! I can be sarcastic and I apologize. I'm just frustrated after too many times listening to airplane noises while the Gerber shuttle makes it's landing and I'm dressed in a jacket and tie trying to enjoy the wine and candelight. I'm sure junior will cherish those memories forever. I'm done. I feel so much better.

I was just trying to show the other side of things. I understand your argument, and agree with you in general. I don't like seeing children in inappropriate settings either, but mostly because I feel sorry for them having to endure a (boring to them) adult experience, not because of my annoyance with them in particular. Don't get me started on kids going with their parents to late night movies!! I just wanted to remind everyone that there ARE children who behave, and parents who don't subject them to things like dinner at 9pm at a steakhouse (you'll never see my kids there). As I said, if Disney instigated an adult-only rule, I wouldn't object. I just wish more parents had more sense...then kids wouldn't get a bad rep.

Maybe it's just because I've either been a kid or been with kids when experiencing Disney parks...it's hard to imagine anyone wanting an adult-only event somewhere like Disney. I'll have to try it sometime!

i would love if disney created an adults only restaurant, heck even adult only resort pools & hot tubs like on the cruise ship. couples need some quiet & romance.

I'm a hopeless case. I guess I'll never understand why some parents refuse to see that there may be some things in life where their children will just have to wait to experience.

It isn't a matter of the children having to wait for the experience, it is the parents who don't want to wait until the children are old enough to actually enjoy the experience. This is a typical of people who, now that they are parents, don't want to adjust their life style one iota from when they were childless. I speak from experience, I have a step daughter who thinks that way! If the parents want to do something, well just drag the kids along, with no thought as to how the child might react to it. Unfortunately, DH and I believe that when kids are little, the parents need to adjust their lifestyle to accommodate the little ones, not the other way around. Small children don't need to experience events they are too little to comprehend or appreciate.

It is the same thing with parents who drag a small child on a ride that is too intense for them-but hey, the child met the height requirement, so it must be OK. And then they wonder why the child is hysterical.

(OK, let the flaming begin!)

Straughn said:
DH and I believe that when kids are little, the parents need to adjust their lifestyle to accommodate the little ones, not the other way around. Small children don't need to experience events they are too little to comprehend or appreciate.

Thank you, well said. SOME parents refuse to deny THEMSELVES a meal in certain restaurants, and this goes for anywhere, without regard for their surroundings.

DH and I would like to eat at a adults only restaurant. We are a childless couple. We have witnessed good and bad experiences while dining with families. Our last experience was very good. It's really a reflection on the parent.

We just simply would like the option of an adults only restaurant. We used to enjoy dining at the Akershus in Epcot. We have not gone since it's become a character restaurant. It's just not for us.

melomouse said:
Hi -
I'm an "older" mom of schoolaged kids. I cannot agree with you more that there needs to be some WDW restaurants - besides V & A - for adults only. Again, it's about boundaries and entitlements. I am one of those weird adults who believe that there are certain places that need to be reserved as adult experiences only, much as I adore my kids and have, at times, given them "the world"!:guilty: In my mind, otherwise there is nothing for them to look forward to as adults. Children are children, not miniature adults. Let's save the pricey entree at the ritzy restaurant for when they are older and not make it part of their Disney experience.

Well I am a "younger" Mom and I agree with you 100%. We have three boys- 3 and under. When I go out with DH for something adult/romantic the one night a vacation that I can- I don't want someone elses child ruining it. I have enough sense not to bring my very well behaved children (yep still children) to Citricos at 9:15pm for dinner- but there are a lot of people who do not.

If closing off an entire restaurant or even a section is too much- I would even suggest a "No children permitted after 8PM" type policy in just one restaurant. I'm still ticked that I can't really enjot PI anymore- I just can't drink my face off and then look at someone's 8 year old. :(

PI is not adults only. Two clubs, maybe three, have age restrictions. Children are permitted in all the others.

This is just to mention since an above post characterized PI as "adults only." The debate over whether or not it should be that way has been done many times on these boards.

Really glad, fellow "New Yawker", that you have gotten support on this concept.

I am also delighted to see I have compatriots here who adore WDW but think sometimes things have gotten a bit out of hand with the "children" and even "family" concept, so much that maybe kids should NOT be in a pricier restaurant after certain times. Used to be that higher prices and lack of kid's menus would be enough for parents to get the message to leave the little precious ones behind for a few hours.But.. Noooooooo...LOL:confused3

Susie - I am glad to see a "younger" mom with similar values and beliefs. Sometimes I think - especially on the DIS world - that it must be because I'm a bit older that I think so differently from so many I hear from on these boards!!!

And straughn - you are so right on!!! Thanks!

melomouse

I thought the wine room at the Contemporary was adults only. At least that's what we were told when we ate there last.

Most all of our dinners this trip will happen after 8:30 so I'm hopeful we won't run into too many ill mannered families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter