Adri's MAW/GKTW trip to meet Cinderella (July 17-23, 2010)

I think that going back to the village for an afternoon nap is a great idea! I was trying to decide if we would be able to do the same!

There is so much information and so many things to do it can get overwhelming especially when you try to make plans that may or may not happen due to weather or kids getting tired. I bet whatever you guys decide will be perfect!

Okay, I have to share this fun news with you guys. MAW called me last week and asked me to email a picture of Adri. The lady explained the reason why, but honestly, they called in the most chaotic of moments, that I just emailed the picture without really understanding why they needed it. I then emailed later and asked her if she could tell me again why she needed it. I thought it was cool but didn't fully understand until tonight.

Basically there is a casting director out of Columbia (our capitol) who has casted for all the major reality TV shows. She is raising money for SC's MAW by setting up an online competition b/w stars & fans of the various shows to see which show can raise the most money. The event is called "Reality Wish" and it's going to be an annual event that they do. This is the first year. Well, Adri was chosen to be the child whose wish they are raising money for. So right now the competition is taking place and stars & fans from The Amazing Race, Big Brother, Survivor, The Biggest Loser, and King of the Crown are raising money for Adri. It's been going on a week and nearly 3K has been raised for her trip. The cool thing is that on the page, the casting director is keeping a photo album updated of all of the reality stars that donate money & agree to be an ambassador (meaning they will spread the word and tell their fans & friends to give as well), and there are so many of my favorite reality stars on there - donating to Adri! So cool. She also says that they are going to have a party and invite any of the stars that are close enough to come (probably none of them) to come meet her. So we are just so excited. You guys have no idea how appropriate this is for me. I am the biggest reality TV junky, so the fact that my kid is the first recipient of the "reality wish" is so fun for me!

I am a huge reality TV junkie too! Congrats! That is so neat!

Lnyn

I thought I had posted before, but I guess I did not. I can't wait to follow you and your family on Adri's journey!

-Kristin

The casting director contacted me today. They are about $1000 shy of her money goal so she has some ideas of other ways to raise money. She said she was going to be in LA for a week and would be getting autographs (I guess to sell for $?). She also said that a couple of the Survivors that are in tonight's finale want to give to Adri but have to wait until after tonight (a contractual thing). This whole thing has been so fun. The casting director has been super nice to our family and relentless in raising money for her wish. I don't know why she picked Adri but it has been so fitting for me. I love looking through the pictures to see who has given!

I don't know when her wish party will be, but we'll get to meet her then. I wish Adri was big enough to care about any of that stuff. Disney can be her fun, and this can be mine. :)

The casting director contacted me today. They are about $1000 shy of her money goal so she has some ideas of other ways to raise money. She said she was going to be in LA for a week and would be getting autographs (I guess to sell for $?). She also said that a couple of the Survivors that are in tonight's finale want to give to Adri but have to wait until after tonight (a contractual thing). This whole thing has been so fun. The casting director has been super nice to our family and relentless in raising money for her wish. I don't know why she picked Adri but it has been so fitting for me. I love looking through the pictures to see who has given!

I don't know when her wish party will be, but we'll get to meet her then. I wish Adri was big enough to care about any of that stuff. Disney can be her fun, and this can be mine. :)

This is sooooo cooool!!!!! I am excited for you guys! Did you post a link to the fundraiser site? I would love to look at it!

I would love a link to the site for the reality wish as well! I have searched for it online and I cannot find it!! I think it is really cool and I love reality shows!!!

Thanks Lynn. Sheesh I can't believe I never posted that on here myself. Anyway, the totals are in. All of the money was raised for the trip ($5100 and some change) and her wish party has been booked. It's going to be a lunchtime thing just a few days before we leave, but we are more comfortable with that. We are fine with the MAW people and the casting director personally inviting anyone they want to, but we didn't want a massive facebook invite for anyone who donated. When we were in the hospital someone set up a caringbridge site that has had 55K hits since January. A "prayers for Adri" page on facebook that was set up has over 5K members. It's neat that some many people supported us - we don't know that many people!, so we have no clue why her story got so much attention - but we want to err on the safe side when it comes to posting information out there, you know? I had a weird situation in a CVS once, several months before her surgery, where a stranger told me to watch out because people take little girls that look like her (WHAT?!?!), and so I'm not as naive as I used to be and try to be cautious.

Anyway, not a big deal, just something that as a mom we asked if we could just let them personally invite any donors they'd like to and it would just be our family. I think that will be less overwhelming for Adri and allow her to really interact with the people who had the biggest hand in getting this money raised. We have had fun with all of this.

Adri's wish party is going to be next Wednesday at a local park. There will be pizza, cake, and some gifts. We are so excited! We'll then leave on Saturday. I am in full-on planning mode now. :)

I feel pretty sure I've said this before, but DH and I keep talking and we really want this to be a trip where we soak it all in instead of cramming it all in. We tried to cram last spring when we went and it just made for very tired mommy and daughter. Adri had lost her voice by the end of the week because we pushed her too hard. So our plan is to come home every day for a nap and then go back to the parks after that based on how the kids are doing. There may be a night where one of us will stay back with Cooper and the other will take Adri back to MK for a parade or something.

But we both agree that if we soak in everything that GKTW has to offer, get to do BBB and CRT as well as Cooper's first haircut at the Harmony Barbershop (booked that yesterday - so excited!), then everything else in the week is just going to be gravy.

So our loose plan as of now is to get there Saturday late afternoon and just explore GKTW, go to orientation, do Mayor Clayton's party, and get to bed early. Sunday will be MK day with a break in the middle of the day. Monday will be a Disney day but what we do is TBD based on how things went the first day. Tuesday is our day of ressies - Cooper's haircut, Adri's BBB, and CRT for lunch. We'll nap again and head back out to the parks that evening. Then Wednesday is going to be our very low key day to give the kids a break. We'll do Sea World that morning and then nap. We aren't going to make any plans for the evening. If all went well we may go to Universal for a little while, but maybe not. We may just play at the pool and explore the village. Thursday is going to be our Universal day to come home for a late nap and enjoy the Christmas festivities that evening. Then Friday we leave. We've decided to go home the long way (adds an hour to an 8 1/2 hour drive) so that we can visit some very good friends in South Georgia. Because of that we're going to spend a good bit of Friday afternoon with them and then drive to Atlanta to a hotel and make the last 2 1/2 hours home on Saturday morning. Then on Monday DH goes back to work and it's when he does his 10 hour days, he graduates the following Saturday, and Adri has her MRI the following Tuesday. It's going to be busy busy so we want to soak in all the fun while we're there.

This trip is exciting. We will be going to Disney for the first time on my son's wish trip. We will be staying at GKTW too. I hope your trip goes well and look forward to hearing all about it!:grouphug:

Hi! Adri's party is today right? I can't wait to hear how everything goes. I hope you have nice weather for it. You're trip is coming so fast! It's all very exciting. :cool1:

The wish party was so much fun! It was perfect. Just perfect. We honestly had been a little nervous about the party. Adri didn't really understand the concept. I mean, she's 3. She knows she's going to Disney and she knows she wished for that, but she's been to Disney before so she isn't fully grasping that this is a special trip. But the idea of a party because of a trip she just didn't understand. In her mind, what's a party where none of her friends are there and she doesn't know anybody? So we've kind of been talking a lot about how special this is and how thankful we are and all of that, to build excitement.

We get there and it's just the Marketing Coordinator for the SC chapter and the casting director that did all of the fundraising. And honestly, we weren't sure if that was going to be it or not. We introduced ourselves and within a few minutes Adri was asking for lunch and Tona (casting director) said that one more special guest was coming. I wasn't sure who it was.

Turns out that Cyrus (from King of the Crown, which was the show that by far raised the most money $ from the competition) is good friends with Tona. He told her that there was a girl he coached in pageants that had actually been all of the princesses at Disney and was great with kids. So they invited this girl to the party. She couldn't be in Disney princess character because of her contract with them, so she was just princess Mikayla. But she comes walking through the park and Adri's eyes got so bright. Now mind you, it's noon in a very popular park in the area and there are kids EVERYWHERE oohing and ahhing over this girl. She comes up to our shelter that was reserved and Adri runs to meet her. She says, "are you Adri?" and Adri grabs her hand and they walk to the shelter together.

Once they got there, she gave Adri a princess book and brought pictures of every Disney princess (who actually, were all her - she has played every one at MK except for Mulan) and each of them had signed a special message. Then she taught Adri how to wave like a princess, curtsy (sp?) like a princess, hug like a princess, dance like a princess, play pat-a-cake like a princess and on and on. Then Adri sat in her lap and she read her a book. Then we had lunch, opened presents, and ate cake. And this girl - in blazing heat and fully decked out in princess garb did it all with Adri. And she was in character the whole time. It was awesome. Then after the eating and present opening, Adri took her to the playground where they did all sorts of stuff. She even convinced her to go down the slide with her in her big dress and crinlin. Her mom was there with her so it was just our family, the MAW staff person, the casting director, the princess, and her mom. But it was perfect. I think a big crowd would've been intimidating.

The girl and her mom were so gracious and I think the casting director and MAW staff girl had fun watching all of the interaction. Adri was in heaven! One of her gifts was a dress with matching crown, shoes, earrings, and wand, so they dressed up and posed together. Then she also got a princess teepee and they sat in there and had a tea party together. Honestly, this was like a wish for Adri. She's not going to understand when the Disney princesses don't just follow her around the whole time. Ha!

I'm going to edit some pictures and upload them but wanted to share the story. Tona said that they could've bombarded us with people (I guess a lot of the reality contestants actually wanted to come?), but I'm actually glad we did it this way. This was more fitting for the wish. She did invite us to a dinner that she is doing in September where there will be a "reality stars" table so that the people that gave will have a chance to meet her. She also had a bunch of signed pictures for us but had to check with MAW before giving them to us (something about national standards for MAW and not doing "extras" that could be considered a wish), so that will be a fun treat for me later. :)

I can't wait to see pictures! It sounds absolutely awesome!

Lynn

Sounds like a wonderful party! I am so excited for you guys! It is so close! I can't wait to hear all about it and see all your pictures when you get back! Have a wonderful and safe trip!!:cool1:

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Aww... Love the one of them hugging, your DD is beautiful!!! And the Princess, she's beautiful as well! I'm so glad the party went so well! :thumbsup2

Awwwwwww! That first one says it all with that smile! And the hugging one is so sweet. It sounds like an amazing party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter