A couple of layout issues

andrewilley

GNU Terry Pratchett
A small request: Please could you move the date/time stamp for posts to the TOP of the message rather than the bottom? Especially with longer messages, it's very hard to spot when a message was posted.

And (very minor) FYI, the two 300x250 Google Adsense ad blocks at the bottom of pages are not properly centred.

Andre

I agree with the date/time stamp issue. It used to be so easy to see when a comment was posted, now I have to search for it.

Another layout request/suggestion is to put a line between the text of the post and the signature so the post is more legible. Or a way to turn off signatures.

Or a way to turn off signatures.

Ah, I forgot to mention that. I've got several posts for which I disabled my sig on the old boards (mainly for FAQ posts where I don't need my sig cluttering up the information content) but on the new forums ALL of my posts now show my full signature, even those FAQ posts, and I can't seem to find a way to turn it off 'per-post' in any of the message editors.

Andre

And the date/time is miniscule!! If it can't be moved, could it at least be more prominent?

I've had signatures turned off for a long long time. May have to turn them back on again to see how they look! (Or not! I got tired of people spamming me with their sigs).

And the date/time is miniscule!! If it can't be moved, could it at least be more prominent?

I could see that simply moving that whole line to the top of the message might not be ideal as it would also move the Quote/Reply/etc links to the top too, which may or may not be desirable (some board styles put those at the top, some at the bottom - personally I think the bottom makes more sense as you need those functions after you've finished reading a message).

My suggestion (without taking up too much extra space) would be to slightly expand the thick blue divider line that sits at the top of each message and make it contain some useful text info about the following message, such as posting date/time, # message number within the thread, number of likes, etc. Perhaps the Edit button would sit well there too)

Andre

Is there a way to see newest threads first? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Yep!
Down at the bottom of the page.
See the picture I attached. If you click the link I circled in red, the section I circled in purple appears.

Attachments

• threadoptions.jpg
    threadoptions.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 8
When I was on the DCL forum, the threads were not showing up with the most recent thread first. I don't know why?

Someone else mentioned that...but they do show recent first for me and I haven't changed settings. There are 6 stickies at the top of that forum, that will remain on top regardless of most recent post date. But below those should be in order. If not, click on the far-right column (Last Message) and sort either ascending or descending order. You can also do this at the bottom of the forum by clicking Thread Display Options.

When I was on the DCL forum, the threads were not showing up with the most recent thread first. I don't know why?

The DCL forum displays messages correctly sorted by their last-reply time for me. It's not possible that you accidentally clicked on the column header line and thus changed the sort order is it? (Another great new feature by the way, thanks for mentioning it lanejudy)

Andre

yes moving the time stamp and post number to the top would really be ideal.

And (very minor) FYI, the two 300x250 Google Adsense ad blocks at the bottom of pages are not properly centred.

LOL Admins, well that's one way to fix it. ;)

Although it might be worth making the number of ads a bit more dynamic, based on page width, as having that third 300x250 ad block drop down onto a second line looks a bit messy.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter