A blast from the past

wayneg

Today we got our box of photo's out of the cupboard. We were looking for pics from our New York trip in 2002 to put on Matt's Blog for Sept 11th but I decided to find pics from our 1st trip in 1993, see if any showed changes. Here are a few.

MK parade
Scan0198Medium.jpg

Scan0199Medium.jpg

Scan0200Medium.jpg

Scan0201Medium.jpg

Boards around Small World & Skyway above.
Scan0202Medium.jpg

20,000 Leagues under the Sea and Karen, who is not happy I am posting this pic:rotfl:
Scan0203Medium.jpg

Mickey's Starland, previously known as Mickey's Birthdayland and more recently Mickey's Toontown Fair.
Scan0204Medium.jpg

Mickey & Minnie's car
Scan0205Medium.jpg

Daisy's Cafe, I don't remember this.
Scan0206Medium.jpg

The old Mail box
Scan0207Medium.jpg

Discovery Island
Scan0208Medium.jpg

Aladdin Parade, MGM Studios
Scan0209Medium.jpg

Scan0210Medium.jpg

Scan0211Medium.jpg

These next 2 pics are from an Airtours show, until seeing these pics we thought we had been to Mickeys Backyard BBQ but it looks like it was a mixture between the BBQ and Airtours, the reps put on a show and the characters came out for singing dancing and photo's.
Scan0212Medium.jpg

Scan0213Medium.jpg

Last one of a balloon seller with the older style balloons.
Scan0214Medium.jpg

When I get some time I will add to this thread, I have found Matt's scrapbook from his 1st visit in 1997 so will try scan some of the contents.

Anyone else want to add historical pics? please do.

Discovery Island? Where is/was that?

Very cool pictures! Thanks for sharing. :) :goodvibes

Thanks for the link! I was wondering if it was once Treasure Island.

I did read some time ago the blog by those guys. There was a thread where someone found it and linked it on the DIS. Lots of night pictures. Those guys were nuts! Nuts.

It does sound like it was a neat place years ago.

Thanks for the link! I was wondering if it was once Treasure Island.

I did read some time ago the blog by those guys. There was a thread where someone found it and linked it on the DIS. Lots of night pictures. Those guys were nuts! Nuts.

It does sound like it was a neat place years ago.

No, never treasure Island as far as I know, it was Discovery Island a link here about the story http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/...iscovery-island-and-river-country-water-park/

have heard that it might be reopened
Paul

Not heard anything myself. Always a chance but would have thought they would wait until the economy picked up before developing something like that. Time will tell.

No, never treasure Island as far as I know, it was Discovery Island a link here about the story http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/...iscovery-island-and-river-country-water-park/

Oh. I was going by the link; disneycontestblog.com you posted.

"History of Discovery Island…

In 1974 Disney took an 11 1/2 acre island on Bay Lake, and named it “Treasure Island.” There was a pirate theme that they followed for some time. In 1978 the island was renamed “Discovery Island”. The island finally closed in 1999, and it is said that the animals were relocated to Animal Kingdom. Speculation to why is based on the low admission sales, and also the Animal Kingdom opening.

Oh. I was going by the link; disneycontestblog.com you posted.

"History of Discovery Island…

In 1974 Disney took an 11 1/2 acre island on Bay Lake, and named it “Treasure Island.” There was a pirate theme that they followed for some time. In 1978 the island was renamed “Discovery Island”. The island finally closed in 1999, and it is said that the animals were relocated to Animal Kingdom. Speculation to why is based on the low admission sales, and also the Animal Kingdom opening.

Never saw that, you live and learn.:thumbsup2

Wow! Looking forward to 97 pics, thats the first time. Went with the castle as the cake and i loved the song to the parade "25 years of disney magic" so much so we found the original version and its on our wedding video!

great pics Wayne :)
Fab looking at the old pics, theres a few threads on the main board I like looking at when I get time.

I scanned in a couple of pics at my mums a few weeks ago ... coincidentally they were also from 1993!

tomorrowland
scan0004.jpg

20000 leagues under the sea
scan0003.jpg

and our park pass
scan0002.jpg

I remember those parades!! Ive being going since I was 6 and I sometimes wonder if I have any true memories of my first time as some things seem to merge but definitely remember the MK parade. I think the Aladdin parade was at MGM a while - I can remember seeing that a few times. I think one of the only photos we have of Discovery island is of the massive turtles.
I'll try to dig out our photos from 1992 - I think most will be of US and Busch (spent most of time in those parks and only spent a week in Orlando).
Great photos :)

I have been intrigued by the Discovery Island threads and blogs for a good couple of years now. So eerie when you see the undercover footage that 'tresspassers' have taken of the place. It is like it was just abandoned as it was with everything still there. The DIS Unplugged board has fairly regular threads running on it so that is a good source of information if you keep an eye on it regularly.

Amazing pics Wayne - I hadn't been yet in 93 although my brother had and it is incredible how different it all looks. Has Karen forgiven you for posting pics without her consent yet? :lmao:

Has Karen forgiven you for posting pics without her consent yet? :lmao:
I had her consent(I wouldn't dare post without it :rotfl2:) she just wasn't happy how she looked but it was the only one we had relating to 20,000 leagues.

You all look so young!

I met my DH in 1993 but we didn't go to Florida until 1997 - just did Universal then a driving tour of Florida.

V interesting to see the airtours bbq pics. DH went to Florida with his family in 1991 and did a bbq (all he remembers is it was rubbish and they were late) - bet it was this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter