We stepped back a bit on our ADRs last March. Partly due to our party size and partly due to some of our traveling party having more limited budgets. We ended up enjoying the freedom of more time and the lighter meals we went with by doing lunches instead of many dinners. It’s a trend we plan to stick to on future trips.

It seems as if the restaurants are slimming down their food inventory. I worked in food for many, many years and I know that it is impossible to have enough variety to make everyone happy. I can't imagine with the amount of people that the Disney restaurants get, and the whole gamut of special requests that people want, that it is an absolute nightmare to order food. Especially perishable item. I think that it is easy to sit back and thing, "why can't they just keep (insert whatever) in stock", but multiply that by a dozen items across a hundred restaurants, I can see how that is not possible.
I know that they used to have more, but I can't imagine the amount of waste they went through doing so in the name of trying to make everyone happy. This is a difficult situation. On one hand, you do want for everyone to be able to have something that they can eat. On the other hand, you just can't stock every food item and keep throwing so much away. I find that unethical.
I also think that we are hearing more about how they couldn't accommodate someone because people have become so much more picky now. I guess that is why Disney allows people to bring in their own food, unlike most amusement parks.

We have kids with multiple allergies. Unfortunately QS takes just as long as TS (tracking down the chef, placing multiple separate orders etc). We can’t just pick up something from a gift shop (AKL directed us to do that when they had no openings for the last 2 hours for mobile orders at Sanaa - our worst deluxe stay by far).

Steakhouse71 steak was triple salted and tough and service extremely slow during our last visit. Space220 dinner was extremely long and disappointing (2.5 hrs). We had submitted a special diets form and they took everything off our sons plate (egg, dairy allergy) and he had fries and a dried piece of meat (can’t remember if it was chicken or steak). They had no marinara or even grilled veggies! He only ate a few fries (vs Topolinos chicken and pasta was so delicious and not dry). My special order birthday dessert was missing and the manager apologized but did nothing else. Everything had closed so our son went hungry; we missed harmonious (our only night at Epcot). We might try the lounge but everyone screams no if I bring up dinner. We were supposed to get 3 sets of trading cards and we reminded our waitress twice and she never gave them.

There were some surprisingly good places like Topilinos and CRT (had been mediocre for the past 5 years), so you know Disney can deliver good service and meals but they choose not to. Despite having great meals we cancelled Topolinos due to Genie+ conflicts on our second HS night.

These past few trips we’ve done more QS than we usually have in the past and it made the trip so much more flexible and relaxing (no worrying about Genie+ conflicting etc). That said, during peak times Disney needs to up its staffing (reports of 2 hrs to order at QS during Christmas week). Pecos Bill took us 1.5 hr standing in line just to order during Spring break (marching bands ordering with coupons).

It’s really hard to get ADRs simply due to the current crowds. I would say book what you planned, then read some recent reviews/watch YouTube videos and then cancel.
I apologize I don't know how to select just a part of the post.

But I agree. I'm switching almost everything to QS, but even then, often the meal for vegetarian kids is a PB&J UNCRUSTABLE. Insert fuss face here. There used to be grilled cheese everywhere we went.

I apologize I don't know how to select just a part of the post.

But I agree. I'm switching almost everything to QS, but even then, often the meal for vegetarian kids is a PB&J UNCRUSTABLE. Insert fuss face here. There used to be grilled cheese everywhere we went.
The rooms also don’t have any freezer sections in the fridge. We used to be able to buy special fish sticks and give our son some before heading out to the parks. Requests for a freezer are rarely met.

I refuse to get on board with trying to dine at the “hottest spots”. Everyone says “there’s no reservations!” sure not at the “hot spots” but Disney has tons of places! I love eating at the “unpopular “ spots. Easy to get reservations!

Yup! We go for a long time and even though we have our RV, we don't like going back and forth to eat there and to be honest we love a lot of places at Disney! This year, the value is just not worth it! We have our Beaches, Sanaa, WCC, Space 220 and a handful of others but that is it. We are doing more eating at Universal and more cooking on our own during our extended stay. We even cut down on park days and bought an AP to Universal. We still love Disney but you have to realize things are getting crazy when we can include flights and a trip to Paris AND go to DLP for less than a trip to WDW!! We did that trip 3 years ago and are doing it again next year but it really makes you think twice about everything! LOL

I'm another one who's gone almost exclusively counter serve. The last couple trips I've had just one TS meal-the morning I leave, I've had a big breakfast. Since I'm flying, who knows when or if I'll get to eat again. I haven't missed the overpriced TS at all.

The high dining prices were never a problem when we were booked under Free Dining but without it you do have to ask yourself why you are at WDW. On a list of the reasons great food is low down on the list. :)

This upcoming trip we have only 3 ADRs over 6 days- Space220, Ale & Compass and The Creperie. The rest will be QS and lounges. It doesn’t feel like I’m giving anything up. And we’ll have more flexibility to do as we please in the moment.

IMO, a lot of them are one and done. Did Cinderella, did BOG. The one I keep going back to is Hollywood and Vine. The buffet is back and it was really good. The seasonal characters are fun, and I think it's good value with little kids who are really excited by that interaction.

Cinderella was really a let down. I guess I had watched old videos of princesses interacting. It was just Cinderella in the lobby. Very disappointing.

I'm from a foodie city, so the top ADRs at Disney for food do not impress me.

IMO, the only Disney restaurant that I would actually go to for the food is Jaleo. And to be fair, there are few of those in other cities also, the one in Vegas is also exceptional.

IMO, a lot of them are one and done. Did Cinderella, did BOG. The one I keep going back to is Hollywood and Vine. The buffet is back and it was really good. The seasonal characters are fun, and I think it's good value with little kids who are really excited by that interaction.

Cinderella was really a let down. I guess I had watched old videos of princesses interacting. It was just Cinderella in the lobby. Very disappointing.

IMO, the only Disney restaurant that I would actually go to for the food is Jaleo. And to be fair, there are few of those in other cities also, the one in Vegas is also exceptional.
Sorry wrong thread.

CRT was one of our best meals this Spring Break (we had skipped it for a few years pre pandemic due to mediocre experiences for the previous 5 years). They vastly improved the menu and allergy accommodations. For the first time our son left not hungry having eaten spaghetti with marinara and grilled chicken. They even had ripple (original) milk as a dairy substitute (his favorite brand back home!). We had a late dinner and Cinderella didn’t even show up for a wave by in the dining hall. The kids couldn’t care less (our teen had done the princess dining for years since she turned 5). They have a captive audience so not immersing kids in the princess experience works good for our wallets (less princess purchases) and bad for Disney.

Last edited:
We had a late dinner and Cinderella didn’t even show up for a wave by in the dining hall.

There's no princesses in the dining room at all right now. you're supposed to go to the line in the lobby for just Cinderella. Hopefully, they bring back princesses in the dining room.

I booked the ADRs for the first part of my stay (doing a split stay) and noticed a lot of availability for Cinderella's Royal Table, even at 60+1 and 2. I think a lot of people are not booking due to the lack of princesses and mediocre food.

Also agree about the majority of Disney food not being impressive. I live in an area with a lot of fantastic Asian restaurants. Any of the restaurants with Asian inspired food are a joke in comparison.

I booked the ADRs for the first part of my stay (doing a split stay) and noticed a lot of availability for Cinderella's Royal Table, even at 60+1 and 2. I think a lot of people are not booking due to the lack of princesses and mediocre food.

Also agree about the majority of Disney food not being impressive. I live in an area with a lot of fantastic Asian restaurants. Any of the restaurants with Asian inspired food are a joke in comparison.
We got the steak and it was Topolinos quality. Mussels were good and a good portion as well

I just cancelled Chef Mickeys breakfast. Still have Topolino breakfast and Crystal Palace brunch. We are doing mostly quick service for lunch and dinner. I have always loved TS places but the prices and lack of flexibility made me cancel most. I don’t want to be stressing about rides, genie plus and working around reservations. My little kids are 5 and 7 and haven’t been to many character meals so we will keep the 2 we have. Once DS turns 10 there is no way I’ll be paying adult prices for him.

I am pretty excited for the return of Crystal Palace though. It was a favorite when DD18 was small but we haven’t been to breakfast in years now. Picked the latest time so I can get breakfast/lunch.

We got the steak and it was Topolinos quality. Mussels were good and a good portion as well
Eh, I don't really think any of the restaurants in MK are good or worth the money. To each their own though. It just means one less person booking them.

I've been going to Disney my entire life. Unfortunately, I think I have finally found my "financial responsibility" nerve while planning my latest Disney trip. I was just reviewing all my ADR's for my upcoming visit. Then I did the *unthinkable*! I looked up all the menus and the *GASP* prices! o_O Well - needless to say - I just let a bunch of my top tier ADR's go! I have been disapointed here and there about the big ticket ADR's and would rather ride the rides and enjoy "foods around the world" or at other smaller/less expensive places that I haven't had a chance to visit. More money back in our pocket *hundreds and hundreds more* 👛and I know we won't have a "lesser" time. In recent visits I have tried places that I haven't been able to try normally. Places that don't need crazy stressful ADR's to enjoy. I have already been to:
Space 220, Storybook Dining at Artist Point, Be Our Guest, CRT, Topolino's and so many others. I am BLESSED silly to have tried all these restaurants. Now, I'm purposely stepping back to let others enjoy them. Anyone else feeling this way? Anyone else feeling like the price for the top tier reservations is just not worth it anymore?

Editing to add: that we can pay responsibly for the ADR's. We just feel the value isn't there in a lot of cases. I have left VERY expensive meals feeling a bit jipped. I am not judging those who want to go "all out" and save all year for their trip to make millions of memories with their family. I'm simply saying it's time for me personally to stop freaking out about top level ADR's and just enjoy being at the park. I have had some memorable times at AKL's - The Mara, The Food Courts at Pop Century or All Star Resorts, Caribbean Beach resort's Banana Cabana, even Hollywood Studios or Main Street's Starbucks. I am done paying hundreds for one meal.

I agree with you.There can be a lot of hype about hitting all the "must-do" spots but I think eventually after enough trips you realize which restaurants are truly worth it (subjectively) and which you can skip. We've traditionally been big on table service meals in Disney but we're trying to get away from that on our upcoming trip, mostly bc we have young kids who don't tolerate lots of sit downs. We walked away from several pricey meals on our last trip feeling like it wasn't worth it bc we spent the whole meal just trying to keep them chill. Too much stress! We're going into the next one with the mindset that we're going to try all the quick service and snacks we usually skip bc we're too full from big meals, and just book a couple of our personal can't-miss ADR's.

My family has decided to change things up too to be more practical. We limit ourselves to one tables service meal per day, allowing us to spend more time enjoying rides and the ambience in the parks. We have a suite in Kidani Village so our plan is to take advantage of the full kitchen there, have groceries brought in to make breakfast before hitting rope drop. And with a free flowing day ahead of us, we'll hit a quick service location for whatever strikes our fancy at that time.

And while we are limiting ourselves to one table service meal a day, we still realize we are on vacation so we don't mind splurging for that. We just factor that in our vacation budget beforehand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter