2008 DDP discussion, questions, rants and vents

Hi all,

I'm assuming Mickey's Backyard BBQ is not part of the Deluxe Plan right?

Thanks,

Bianca

Edit: Found the answer to my question above. Thanks!

I thought it might be of interest to all of you if I posted my calculations as to the savings we will reap from our December Deluxe Dining Package Trip.

The Cast: Me (DW 30); DH 35; DM (age undisclosed); DD (3)
All Star Movies
19 December - 26 December 2008
19 December: Room only (MVMCP)

20 December
Animal Kingdom 9am RD (9:00 – 17:00)
Donald’s Safari Breakfast (aiming for 8:10am ADRs) (3 Adult credits + 1 child Credit) OOP Cost would be: $67.96
Main attractions EE; it's tough to be a bug; maharajah jungle trek; safari; Rafiki's planet watch
Snack for lunch (3 or 6 adult snack credits + 1 or 2 child snack credits, depending on how hungry we are): $32
Afternoon rest/ nap
Spirit of Aloha Luau (6 adult credits + 2 child credits) OOP Cost would be $207.96
Total for day 1 OOP: $275.92 + $32 = $307.92
Total on plan: $229.84
Gratuity for day 1 (18%): $12.23

21 December
7am RD at Magic Kingdom
Snack for breakfast at Main Street Bakery (3 adult snack credits + 1 child snack credit): $16
Main attractions: Dumbo, IASW, Peter Pan, Pooh, BTMR, SplashM, Buzz, Toontown fair; Aladdin; Philharmagic;
Crystal Palace Lunch (aim for 12:00 ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $74.96
Rest in afternoon
Hoop-Dee-Doo (17:15 show) (6 adult credits + 2 child credits) OOP Cost would be $207.96
Wagon Ride afterwards
Total for day 2 OOP: $282.92 + $16 = $298.92
Gratuity for day 1 (18%): $13.49

22 December
8am RD at Hollywood Studios
Play ‘n Dine Character Breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (aim for 8:00am ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $88.96
Main attractions: GMR; American Idol (if it's open); VotLM; Beauty and the Beast; Toy Story Mania; Playhouse Disney; Muppet Vision 3D; RnR
Rosie’s All-American Café (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $45.01
Afternoon rest/ nap
Hollywood Studios
Fantasmic Dinner Package
50s Primetime Café (early dinner 16:30) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $99.91
Osbourne Festival of Lights
Total for day 3 OOP: $233.88
Gratuity for day 3 (18%): $33.99

23 December
Magic Kingdom (7:00 – 23:00)
Snack for breakfast (3 adult snack credits + 1 child snack credit): $16
Main attractions: whatever we feel like doing
Lunch at Cinderella’s Royal Table character dining (12:00 ADR) (6 adult credits + 2 child credits): $131.96
Afternoon nap/ rest
Early dinner (5:00 ADR) at Whispering Canyon Café (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $140.38
Back to MK for Spectromagic at 8pm
Total for day 4 OOP: $272.34 +$16 = $288.34
Gratuity for day 4 (18%): $25.26

24 December
EPCOT (9:00 – 19:00 and 11:00 – 21:30)
Snack for Breakfast (3 adult snack credit + 1 child credit): $16
Main attractions: Soarin; Turtle Talk; Mexico ride; Living with the Land; Imagination; SE; Universe of Energy; M:S
Lunch at Tutto Italia (Aim for 12:00 ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $134.8
Rest/ afternoon nap
EPCOT
Explore WS
Dinner at Teppan Edo (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $132
Candlelight Processional
Total for day 4 OOP: $266.8 +$16 = $282.80
Gratuity for day 4 (18%): $48.02

25 DecemberMass at 8:00
Chef Mickey’s Breakfast (aim for 10:00 ADRs) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $81.96
Explore Resorts, Mini golf, Downtown Disney, The Boardwalk etc (Whatever we feel like)
Afternoon nap/ rest
Mickey’s Backyard Barbeque (6 adult credits + 2 child credits): $158.96
Total for day 5 OOP: $240.92
Gratuity for day 5 (18%): $14.75

26 December
Check out of All-Star Movies
7am RD at AK
Ohana’s Best Friends Breakfast with Lilo and Stitch (aim for 10:30am ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $67.96
Check in to Priceline Hotel (evening)
Total for day 5 OOP: $67.96
Total on plan: $0 (6 nights)
Gratuity for day 5 (18%): $12.23

Drinks in Parks (guestimated for 3 adults 1 child over 7 days): $432
Refillable Mugs: $49.96
Snacks: $120
Food: $1640.74
Total OOP: $2242.7
Total on Plan: $1379.04
Savings: $863.66

That saving allows us to do Discovery Cove, which we love, on New Year's Day.

Gratuity total: $159.97

I hope this helps some of you in testing if the Plan will work for you.
We aren't having three full meals every day, but are capitalising on the dinner shows and character dining experiences as we love those as does our DD3. She last went at 20 months and still remembers meeting all the characters. Crystal Palace was her favourite as she loves Pooh Bear. And if we don't use all our snacks during that time we can take some with us to the second half of our vacation at USF/ IOA, SW, BG and DC.

Happy Planning,

Bianca

I was thinking about trying the Deluxe Dining Plan for the 1st time for an upcoming trip in December.

I just wanted to make sure that I understand how it works in comparison to the Basic Dining Plan.

So with the Basic Dining Plan, you were given CS points, TS points, and Snack points. So if all my TS points were used up and I only had CS points leftover, I obviously couldn't use CS points at a TS restaurant.

But with the Deluxe Dining Plan, you are given meal credits that are not broken up into CS points and TS points. I can use them all at TS restaurants if I wanted to, correct?

Also I was curious if the meal points were broken up into Breakfast points, Lunch points, and Dinner points or are they just considered meal points and can be used anyway you want. For example if I only used the meal points for breakfasts and dinners and not for lunches, would that be okay. Or would I be told, no sorry you've used up all your breakfast and dinner credits and now you only have meal credits for lunches?

I was thinking about trying the Deluxe Dining Plan for the 1st time for an upcoming trip in December.

I just wanted to make sure that I understand how it works in comparison to the Basic Dining Plan.

So with the Basic Dining Plan, you were given CS points, TS points, and Snack points. So if all my TS points were used up and I only had CS points leftover, I obviously couldn't use CS points at a TS restaurant.

But with the Deluxe Dining Plan, you are given meal credits that are not broken up into CS points and TS points. I can use them all at TS restaurants if I wanted to, correct?

Also I was curious if the meal points were broken up into Breakfast points, Lunch points, and Dinner points or are they just considered meal points and can be used anyway you want. For example if I only used the meal points for breakfasts and dinners and not for lunches, would that be okay. Or would I be told, no sorry you've used up all your breakfast and dinner credits and now you only have meal credits for lunches?
Hi Kyle,

As I understand it, you can use the credits in any way you like, TS or CS, breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is what we are doing. It's much more flexible than the basic plan in that way.

I worked out the savings by looking at the menus for each place we wanted to eat and guessing the most likely choices. This gives you a ball park savings figure.

Bianca

Hi Kyle,

As I understand it, you can use the credits in any way you like, TS or CS, breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is what we are doing. It's much more flexible than the basic plan in that way.

I worked out the savings by looking at the menus for each place we wanted to eat and guessing the most likely choices. This gives you a ball park savings figure.

Bianca

Thanks Bianca!

Where can I find out how much the ddp costs per adult/child per day? I cant' search through 114 pages in this thread, LOL! Does anyone know?

Edit: Found the answer to my question above. Thanks!

I thought it might be of interest to all of you if I posted my calculations as to the savings we will reap from our December Deluxe Dining Package Trip.

The Cast: Me (DW 30); DH 35; DM (age undisclosed); DD (3)
All Star Movies
19 December - 26 December 2008
19 December: Room only (MVMCP)

20 December
Animal Kingdom 9am RD (9:00 – 17:00)
Donald’s Safari Breakfast (aiming for 8:10am ADRs) (3 Adult credits + 1 child Credit) OOP Cost would be: $67.96
Main attractions EE; it's tough to be a bug; maharajah jungle trek; safari; Rafiki's planet watch
Snack for lunch (3 or 6 adult snack credits + 1 or 2 child snack credits, depending on how hungry we are): $32
Afternoon rest/ nap
Spirit of Aloha Luau (6 adult credits + 2 child credits) OOP Cost would be $207.96
Total for day 1 OOP: $275.92 + $32 = $307.92
Gratuity for day 1 (18%): $12.23

21 December
7am RD at Magic Kingdom
Snack for breakfast at Main Street Bakery (3 adult snack credits + 1 child snack credit): $16
Main attractions: Dumbo, IASW, Peter Pan, Pooh, BTMR, SplashM, Buzz, Toontown fair; Aladdin; Philharmagic;
Crystal Palace Lunch (aim for 12:00 ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $74.96
Rest in afternoon
Hoop-Dee-Doo (17:15 show) (6 adult credits + 2 child credits) OOP Cost would be $207.96
Wagon Ride afterwards
Total for day 2 OOP: $282.92 + $16 = $298.92
Gratuity for day 1 (18%): $13.49

22 December
8am RD at Hollywood Studios
Play ‘n Dine Character Breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (aim for 8:00am ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $88.96
Main attractions: GMR; American Idol (if it's open); VotLM; Beauty and the Beast; Toy Story Mania; Playhouse Disney; Muppet Vision 3D; RnR
Rosie’s All-American Café (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $45.01
Afternoon rest/ nap
Hollywood Studios
Fantasmic Dinner Package
50s Primetime Café (early dinner 16:30) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $99.91
Osbourne Festival of Lights
Total for day 3 OOP: $233.88
Gratuity for day 3 (18%): $33.99

23 December
Magic Kingdom (7:00 – 23:00)
Snack for breakfast (3 adult snack credits + 1 child snack credit): $16
Main attractions: whatever we feel like doing
Lunch at Cinderella’s Royal Table character dining (12:00 ADR) (6 adult credits + 2 child credits): $131.96
Afternoon nap/ rest
Early dinner (5:00 ADR) at Whispering Canyon Café (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $140.38
Back to MK for Spectromagic at 8pm
Total for day 4 OOP: $272.34 +$16 = $288.34
Gratuity for day 4 (18%): $25.26

24 December
EPCOT (9:00 – 19:00 and 11:00 – 21:30)
Snack for Breakfast (3 adult snack credit + 1 child credit): $16
Main attractions: Soarin; Turtle Talk; Mexico ride; Living with the Land; Imagination; SE; Universe of Energy; M:S
Lunch at Tutto Italia (Aim for 12:00 ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $134.8
Rest/ afternoon nap
EPCOT
Explore WS
Dinner at Teppan Edo (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $132
Candlelight Processional
Total for day 4 OOP: $266.8 +$16 = $282.80
Gratuity for day 4 (18%): $48.02

25 DecemberMass at 8:00
Chef Mickey’s Breakfast (aim for 10:00 ADRs) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $81.96
Explore Resorts, Mini golf, Downtown Disney, The Boardwalk etc (Whatever we feel like)
Afternoon nap/ rest
Mickey’s Backyard Barbeque (6 adult credits + 2 child credits): $158.96
Total for day 5 OOP: $240.92
Gratuity for day 5 (18%): $14.75

26 December
Check out of All-Star Movies
7am RD at AK
Ohana’s Best Friends Breakfast with Lilo and Stitch (aim for 10:30am ADR) (3 adult credits + 1 child credit): $67.96
Check in to Priceline Hotel (evening)
Total for day 5 OOP: $67.96
Total on plan: $0 (6 nights)
Gratuity for day 5 (18%): $12.23

Drinks in Parks (guestimated for 3 adults 1 child over 7 days): $432
Refillable Mugs: $49.96
Snacks: $120
Food: $1640.74
Total OOP: $2242.7
Total on Plan: $1379.04
Savings: $863.66

That saving allows us to do Discovery Cove, which we love, on New Year's Day.

Gratuity total: $159.97

I hope this helps some of you in testing if the Plan will work for you.
We aren't having three full meals every day, but are capitalising on the dinner shows and character dining experiences as we love those as does our DD3. She last went at 20 months and still remembers meeting all the characters. Crystal Palace was her favourite as she loves Pooh Bear. And if we don't use all our snacks during that time we can take some with us to the second half of our vacation at USF/ IOA, SW, BG and DC.

Happy Planning,

Bianca

For some reason I am not following your tip calculations :confused3 .

It appears you are not counting in a tip at the buffets? This is how my calculations for your ADRs come out.

Day one 12/20 $49.67

Day two 12/21 $50.94

Day three 12/22 $41.94

Day four 12/23 $48.96

Day five 12/24 We came out the same.

Day six 12/25 $58.14

Day seven 12/26 We came out the same.

Total I got for tips(without rounding up to the whole dollar) $309.91.

Refillable mugs are good at your hotel, not in the parks. You can use snack credits to get drinks in the parks though. The dining plan will save you some money but probably not as much as you have calculated. Believe me, the buffet waitress or waiter will remind you that the tip is not included in the plan. Your "bill" will have the suggested tip at the bottom with the total, it suggests 18 or 20%..............and gives you the amount........:rotfl2:.

We did not save very much money on the ddp at all(a few dollars here and there).

Dear Jennifer,

The deluxe plan is $69.95 per adult and $19.99 per child. The "basic" plan is I think $32.99 for adults and $9.99 per child. These figures are per day.

I hope this helps.

Bianca

Just wanted to clarify that the regular DDP is: • $37.99 per guest 10 years old and over and
• $9.99 for children 3-9 years old.

and also the price for both plans is per NIGHT rather than day.

For some reason I am not following your tip calculations :confused3 .

It appears you are not counting in a tip at the buffets? This is how my calculations for your ADRs come out.

Day one 12/20 $49.67

Day two 12/21 $50.94

Day three 12/22 $41.94

Day four 12/23 $48.96

Day five 12/24 We came out the same.

Day six 12/25 $58.14

Day seven 12/26 We came out the same.

Total I got for tips(without rounding up to the whole dollar) $309.91.

Refillable mugs are good at your hotel, not in the parks. You can use snack credits to get drinks in the parks though. The dining plan will save you some money but probably not as much as you have calculated. Believe me, the buffet waitress or waiter will remind you that the tip is not included in the plan. Your "bill" will have the suggested tip at the bottom with the total, it suggests 18 or 20%..............and gives you the amount........:rotfl2:.

We did not save very much money on the ddp at all(a few dollars here and there).
Dear Dana,

I have included the tips for all the buffets but not for those that are tip included e.g. Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Mickey's Backyard and Cinderella's Royal Table (as indicated in the Deluxe Dining Plan brochure).

On day 1 we eat at Donald's Safari Restaurant (OOP would be $67 or so) and at Spirit of Aloha (tips included). An 18% gratuity on $67 is $12.23, not $49. I haven't figured the tips into the saving because we'd have to pay those whether we go the plan route or pay OOP. We also don't tip at CS e.g. Rosie's All-american Cafe is a CS burger joint, hence the Day 2 calculation (18% of $188.87 = $33.99). Should we be tipping there?

I know refillables are only good at the hotel. We tend to buy a lot of drinks at night (before bed time) and early in the morning before setting out, so this will save us there. The others will likely come from snack credits and we tend to share anyway.

Bianca

Dear Jennifer,

The deluxe plan is $69.95 per adult and $19.99 per child. The "basic" plan is I think $32.99 for adults and $9.99 per child. These figures are per day.

I hope this helps.

Bianca

The standard plan is $37.99 for each adult, and I believe the deluxe was just a typo, but that's .99 vs .95

DDP
$37.99/night adult
$9.99/night child

DxDDP
$69.99/night adult
$19.99/night child

Dear Dana,

I have included the tips for all the buffets but not for those that are tip included e.g. Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Mickey's Backyard and Cinderella's Royal Table (as indicated in the Deluxe Dining Plan brochure).

On day 1 we eat at Donald's Safari Restaurant (OOP would be $67 or so) and at Spirit of Aloha (tips included). An 18% gratuity on $67 is $12.23, not $49. I haven't figured the tips into the saving because we'd have to pay those whether we go the plan route or pay OOP. We also don't tip at CS e.g. Rosie's All-american Cafe is a CS burger joint, hence the Day 2 calculation (18% of $188.87 = $33.99). Should we be tipping there?

I know refillables are only good at the hotel. We tend to buy a lot of drinks at night (before bed time) and early in the morning before setting out, so this will save us there. The others will likely come from snack credits and we tend to share anyway.

Bianca

Sorry Bianca, I had a memory lapse for a moment................:rotfl2: You are right. I forgot about the tip being included at some of the restaurants. And no you shouldn't tip at the CS :) I am sure the cm wouldn't mind.......though ;)

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

PS We love Crystal Palace too.

We haven't used the dining plan since May of 2007 and as far as I can tell the biggest changes are no appetizer and no tip included, is this correct? If so I was wondering if anyone has been able to "trade" a dessert for an appetizer? My husband is not a big dessert eater but loves appetizers!!!

We haven't used the dining plan since May of 2007 and as far as I can tell the biggest changes are no appetizer and no tip included, is this correct? If so I was wondering if anyone has been able to "trade" a dessert for an appetizer? My husband is not a big dessert eater but loves appetizers!!!

This will not happen.......not only are desserts a more profitable item for Disney, but by removing the appetizer they eliminate a course thus resulting in quicker table turnover. If you are willing to pay extra for the appetizer then they are more then happy to let you stay for that extra course.

:thumbsup2

This will not happen.......not only are desserts a more profitable item for Disney, but by removing the appetizer they eliminate a course thus resulting in quicker table turnover. If you are willing to pay extra for the appetizer then they are more then happy to let you stay for that extra course.

:thumbsup2

He speaks the truth, there has been no success in trading.

You have been VERY lucky I saw countless people turned away who didn't have ADRs in Feb and in May!! We like to eat around 5 or 6 so adrs work for us !!

Booking for a September trip has been a nightmare. We cant get reservations for any time before 8pm anywhere. We were very upset, but one of the agents said to call back in August. Apparently so many people put down deposits but dont pay in full, and then Disney has to go and cancel their reservations....popcorn:: No one ever spoke to us about this new tipping thing, I had no idea until reading this post. I asked a family that just got back that was on the dining plan what they did about tipping and they said they thought it was included. OOPPS! :rolleyes1 They never tipped anyone! Do you think waiters there are having the problem that not everyone knows about the tipping thing yet, even though it is on the receipts?:surfweb:

We used DDP about a year ago. We purchased it with a small discount from either being DVC Members or Annual Passholders.

While it may be a good plan for some, it was not for us. Given that we usually eat breakfast in our DVC unit and I usually cook one dinner after a day at a water park, it just didn't pay. My family (DH, 12 year old, and myself) usually tries to eat at a sit down restaurant for dinner. Given that my 12 year old in no way eats the same as an adult at a buffet, we thought we would give DDE a try--she was 10 or 11 at the time.We had unused snack credits and some unused meal credits as well at the end of one week.

It would have been nice to buy a package for maybe 4 days (even though our trip was 7). Even with the approx. $35 cost per day, that would have paid if we could have just purchased fewer days.

It would be nice to have some sort of a plan with a bit more flexibility as the DDP allowed us to try restaurants that maybe we wouldn't have spent the money on otherwise.

Am i right in reading the info that for a counter service breakfast you get both juice AND a non alcholoic beverage. i do not remember this being the case in 06 or else i just did not take advantage of it. whould be great to get juice for breakfast and grabb some H2O for the parks. anyone have experience with this. thanks!

Am i right in reading the info that for a counter service breakfast you get both juice AND a non alcholoic beverage. i do not remember this being the case in 06 or else i just did not take advantage of it. whould be great to get juice for breakfast and grabb some H2O for the parks. anyone have experience with this. thanks!
Yes...and I don't think I took advantage of it in 2006 but I did last year. You DO get a beverage AND a juice at breakfast with the DDP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter