2008 DDP discussion, questions, rants and vents

Your plans were probably fine, it was the plan that did not work for you.
For my family the dining is part of the fun, and we also enjoy the travel time. Yep, we are that family most DIS'ers feel badly for because we never get the most bang for our passes :confused3.

If you and ADR"s are not friends and you don't enjoy what goes into getting to the restaurant , it really is best to pass on what savings there is to using teh plan and enjoy your vacation your way.

I agree , tome the restaurants are a big part of Disney, I need that time at a TS to cooloff ,relax and enjoy the food , characters, atmosphere. DDp is perfect for me but if you want to spend more time in the parks then cs is better!there is plenty of good cs places , so to each there own !!

As much as I enjoy the DDP I do agree it does become a big part of your trip, sometimes too much so. One thing I will NOT do is plan around ADR's. We usually travel during not so busy times (early January, mid May usually) so we have not found it necessary to make ADR's as some say you need to during busier times. That said, we have never had to wait more than 20 minutes to be seated even w/o an ADR. We did make an ADR last week at Kona Cafe (Monday 5/12) since we were meeting friends who were also at WDW the same week. However, I made the ADR only a few days before and got a 6:40 p.m. time. Made it for 4 people.....at the last minute our friends' daughter and her boyfriend also decided to join us. When we got to the podium at about 6:25 I told the hostess we were now 6 instead of 4.......no problem.....we still only waited 20 minutes.

My trip is planned during free dining:) Are you allowed to use table service as a counter service? Not that I want to but it might just be a "lets just grab something here instead".
I'm a newbie so forgive me if someone else has asked the question :confused3

Thanks bunches!

As much as I enjoy the DDP I do agree it does become a big part of your trip, sometimes too much so. One thing I will NOT do is plan around ADR's. We usually travel during not so busy times (early January, mid May usually) so we have not found it necessary to make ADR's as some say you need to during busier times. That said, we have never had to wait more than 20 minutes to be seated even w/o an ADR. We did make an ADR last week at Kona Cafe (Monday 5/12) since we were meeting friends who were also at WDW the same week. However, I made the ADR only a few days before and got a 6:40 p.m. time. Made it for 4 people.....at the last minute our friends' daughter and her boyfriend also decided to join us. When we got to the podium at about 6:25 I told the hostess we were now 6 instead of 4.......no problem.....we still only waited 20 minutes.
You have been VERY lucky I saw countless people turned away who didn't have ADRs in Feb and in May!! We like to eat around 5 or 6 so adrs work for us !!

Your plans were probably fine, it was the plan that did not work for you.
For my family the dining is part of the fun, and we also enjoy the travel time. Yep, we are that family most DIS'ers feel badly for because we never get the most bang for our passes :confused3.

If you and ADR"s are not friends and you don't enjoy what goes into getting to the restaurant , it really is best to pass on what savings there is to using teh plan and enjoy your vacation your way.

Yeah, you are right. I remember the first time I saw someone using the ddp. It was several years ago and we were at Starring Rolls Bakery. Since then I have wanted to try the plan. Well, now I can say I have and it just didn't work for my bunch...........lol. We really loved eating at The Plaza, Crystal Palace, and Tony's. Next year we may eat at these places again. I will make ADRs for a character breakfast but, the rest I will try on a daily basis. And acutally, I envy your family. You know how to rest and take the time to enjoy more than just the rides at the parks(my gang could learn from your family).

The ddp basically dictated our trip.

We were there the first week of May and the only place I saw anyone turned away was at The Plaza. I had to change my ADRs at the Kona and Tony's not once but twice and had no problem at all. Last year we went in Feb and got a table at Sci Fi with a 15-20 minute wait without ADRs.

Hello All! I have been to the World 18 times this year, but this is my FIRST time with the DDP. We are going in September, with the free dining, but my DBF brought up an awesome question that i didnt know, so i figured you all would! When on the DDP, are there specific things you can order from the Resturants on the list, or if it's a DDP Resturant, can you order whatever? Just not sure if they give you like a specified menu or how it works?? and for a CS you get an entree and dessert and drink and same for TS?? Thanks everyone!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks, EnglishRose. Only four and a half more months to go-- I'm getting excited! Planning IS a lot of fun-- we're still juggling ADRs, so I'm spending ages online reading menus. Yum.
I greatly appreciate all the good wishes and sweet comments you have given to us.

Take care!

DizWisher
aka
Miri

Thanks, EnglishRose. Only four and a half more months to go-- I'm getting excited! Planning IS a lot of fun-- we're still juggling ADRs, so I'm spending ages online reading menus. Yum.
I greatly appreciate all the good wishes and sweet comments you have given to us.

Take care!

DizWisher
aka
Miri[/QUO

You are welcome I remember when I was new to the Dis! Theyhelped me so much! Before you know it you will be helping out new Dissers !Keep reading these boards and you will soon be an expert:lmao:

Hello All! I have been to the World 18 times this year, but this is my FIRST time with the DDP. We are going in September, with the free dining, but my DBF brought up an awesome question that i didnt know, so i figured you all would! When on the DDP, are there specific things you can order from the Resturants on the list, or if it's a DDP Resturant, can you order whatever? Just not sure if they give you like a specified menu or how it works?? and for a CS you get an entree and dessert and drink and same for TS?? Thanks everyone!!! :thumbsup2

With a *few* exceptions you can order whatever you want. I have heard that some Sushi at some places is excluded. I have also heard some things at Tutto Italia are excluded.

However, the steak and lobster are included - that gets asked a lot. :goodvibes

I went first week of May last year for 9 days and saw people turned away from Crystal Palace, Boma, Coral Reef, and obviously CRT is not going to happen without an ADR. I htink it definitely depends on the person. I am a planner and would go nuts if we did not have Adr's. My DH is the opposite he hates schedules. We compromise by me booking an early breakfast and a late dinner that way the day is pretty unscheduled. He is funny though because when I dont have a plan he is lost. LOL.

My trip is planned during free dining:) Are you allowed to use table service as a counter service? Not that I want to but it might just be a "lets just grab something here instead".
I'm a newbie so forgive me if someone else has asked the question :confused3

Thanks bunches!

Not sure about trading down I would call Disney since it is free dining but, you will need to make ADRs now, especially with free dining. So you will be pretty set anyway with meals. Also, you can use your CS all at one time if you choose.

Can anyone tell me what the 'Signature' restaurants are that use 2 TS credits??

Do Jiko and Yachtsman require 2 credits?? :confused3

Yes, Yachtsman Steakhouse is 2TS as well.

California Grill, Citricos, Narcoossee, Artist Point, Flying Fish, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Brown Derby*, Jiko, Yachtsman Steakhouse.

* Does not apply the standard Signature restaurant dress code.

Bistro de Paris and Victoria and Alberts are other fine dining Disney restaurants, but they don't accept the Dining Plan.

Hi, we returned home two days ago from our first visit to WDW. A week after the cruise. We bought the basic dining plan on the advice of our travel agent. I kept telling my dh I thought it would be too much food for our family of 4 (kids ages 13 and 9). But he wanted the plan and the adr's, so I did it. By day two, he admitted I was right - way too much food for us. We are light eaters I guess. I felt so much guilt having so much food left on our plates after each meal. Many nights we didn't even order dessert or only one for all 4 of us. We also had a table service meal, four counter service meals and 8 snacks left the day we flew home. Thankfully at the Wilderness Lodge where we were staying I mentioned this to one of the cm's and she told me to go and get stuff at the counter service place at the Lodge and take it home. We were told we could count three snacks in place of any counter service meal. So we got two counter service meals packaged up to eat at the airport, and traded two more for 6 snacks. Combined with the 8 snacks we never used, we brought home 14 snacks in a big bag on the plane. Rice crispy mickey heads, chocolate chip cookies, dream bars, fruit, chips, etc. We had food in the house after being gone two weeks! We never did trade in our one table service meal that wasn't used. DD 13 was sick one night and the rest of us cancelled our Boma adr and ate instead at the hotel restaurant.

Regarding ADR's. I made them about a month out and had no problem with waiting or anything. We walked right into every restaurant at the time of our reservation and were immediately seated. We cancelled Boma due to a sick child and had no problem rescheduling it for the same time another night. We dined at the California Grill one night which uses 2 credits, so had a night without plans. Then a big rain storm hit us while at Epcot and we decided to stay there instead of walking in the rain to get transportation to Boma, so I called WDW dining and cancelled that reservation. So we never got to eat there. We then walked up to the Italian restaurant ( I believe called Tutto Italia) at Epcot at about 6 p.m. and got a seat immediately without a reservation. We all felt it was our best meal at WDW. Service was perfect, food great, atmosphere wonderful. Maybe it was watching the rain out the window, but it was our favorite night. No ADR's and flying by the seat of our pants.

When we return to WDW, we won't get the dining plan. Just too much food for us. Yes, we saved money if we would usually order that much food, but we don't. Hubby and I often share meals while dining out, so we will do that in the future.

The ddp isn't for everyone ! We are big eaters so it works great for us I go solo sometimes and am thinking about the deluxe but that would be too much food for me!!

Hi,
We are a family of 3 adults and a child - 5. If I am reading it right, according to the Disney website, we wouldn't qualify as a family for free dining because we aren't a family of 2 adults, 1 junior child, and a small child. Is this right? Or could we qualify for free dining with the above criteria? :confused3

Hi,
We are a family of 3 adults and a child - 5. If I am reading it right, according to the Disney website, we wouldn't qualify as a family for free dining because we aren't a family of 2 adults, 1 junior child, and a small child. Is this right? Or could we qualify for free dining with the above criteria? :confused3

they are just giving an example family - you still qualify

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter