2 Adults only packing 1 bag

We travel with our entire gear, wet suit, mask, regulators, BC, fins, snorkel, booties, gloves, hoods, sometimes 2 wetsuits, video camera, still camera and housings for both, dive computers, extra camera housing battery, video camera lights. We pack our regulators, computers, masks, my still camera gear and one day's worth of clothes in my carry on. The video camera and gear with a day's clothes in honey's back pack carry on. Currently we have biggest checked luggage allowed in a nylon type material that the two wet suits, 2 sets of fins (we use big split fins) 2 BCs, gloves, booties, hoods, etc. go in. We just buy new when what we are using gets too ripped to use, we go to the store with our little portable scale and get the lightest ones we can find with wheels. We've discovered the hard way that when dragging two huge suitcases - one with heavy gear one with clothes, and 4 carry ons (2 with the above, one lap top case for downloaded video and pictures and if internet is available for honey to work) and one personal item, normally a big tote that I carry that holds other misc. stuff like passports, wallets, bathing suit, etc. that wheels and carry ons that will stack on top of those all come in handy. I think we got our current at Homegoods. We go through luggage about every 3 trips. We used to use hard side, which are by far the best for dive gear but it is just too heavy so you can't get as much in it.

As far as taking lessons in West Palm, I kind of agree with your husband. West Palm diving can be easy or pretty rough. Our first open water dives were there and the seas were at least 6 ft. high and the currents ripping. We have had 100 ft. visibility and only 20 ft. visibility there. It's drift diving there so doing a hot jump and then getting back on a boat in 6 ft. seas your first time in the ocean can be a bear. I learned on that trip, you can indeed throw up in your regulator and that I'm one of the best current divers around. We have had trips there with almost no current, which turns a drift dive into a slow reef dive. If diving wrecks, there are more challenges involved, although I'd assume they wouldn't do that on their first dives but dropping to a wreck in a ripping current with no line can be fun.

Thanks! My sister said WEst Palm is full of currents and she stays close/doesn't wander, she sees lot she of sharks and turtles there. We tried to snorkel and her dive out of key largo and Marathon in April but the seas were too high. We are going to try again next April and see what happens.

Thanks! My sister said WEst Palm is full of currents and she stays close/doesn't wander, she sees lot she of sharks and turtles there. We tried to snorkel and her dive out of key largo and Marathon in April but the seas were too high. We are going to try again next April and see what happens.

It depends on what shop you dive with. We actually dive out of Boynton Beach and the shop we dive with just hands you a flag and says go for it that way. The boat watches all the flags, knows by your bubbles when you doing your safety stop and comes pick you up. They do put a dive master in the water for those who want to follow but we are both master divers and since we do photography, prefer to go on our own. Most of the sharks are nurse sharks, which are the puppy dogs of the ocean, we have encountered one or two reef sharks and once an odd hammerhead.

DH and I do the shared checked bag even when we each have our own checked bag. So if one bags goes missing there are clothes for both of us in each suitcase. We also carry on a bag with one complete outfit.... if we are only checking one bag there are two complete outfits in the carry on's. Learning curve... we went to the Dominican with some friends and her bag did not make it, it was really bad, she did not take a carry on except a small bag with some books, and her travel pillow... It took 2 days to get her bag, she ended up having to buy a bathing suit and pair of short and T-shirt, and dress at the resort...$$$.

I lay everything I think I might want on the bed - then look at what are plans are then start picking out from there, I keep with a color palate, I do this so that I can pair down on accessories, shoes, make-up. DH does this to... we try to go this route and it saves space.

We always pack a swimsuit even when we travel somewhere colder, in case we decide to go the spa, or there's a hot tub...

DH and I both have a lightweight water proof jacket that travels with us everywhere.

As a rule, one day outfit, and one night outfit per day... Now this totally depends on looking at what we are doing, Knowing what we are doing saves a lot of time... and Knowing what I am going to wear is a huge plus... So if I know that we are going to leave the hotel and be gone all day and not back until well after dinner, what I pack to wear that day, is much different that what I pack when I know one day we will come back to the hotel to rest, and change before a nice dinner or show...

We are heading to NYC, for DH's birthday so we will take one checked bag and each a carry on and we will be fine. We could more than likely just carry on but we both like our own pillows, we both have neck and back issues.

By the way I do all the packing for the both of us... He picks out his stuff, and then I make sure it all matches, and that he has what he will need. Then I divide everything up to go into the suitcase or suitcases... While its a bit more work at the beginning, its nice not to worry about it once we are in vacation mode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter