2 Adults only packing 1 bag

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Ok, so the airlines are getting nuts with all the fees these days and I really only want to pack 1 large bag.

Has anyone used those Mash travel organizing bags ?.:scratchin
I've seen videos but can 2 sets of these fit in 1 bag?.

TIApixiedust:pixiedust:

That's why we always fly Southwest airlines. 2 free checked bags plus 1 carry on.

Not sure how big the bag you are using but be careful about oversize fees. Dh and I used to share a suitcase but it ended up being cheaper for us to each bring our own and pay the regular bag fee.

I use packing cubes, and I roll my stuff and put them into them. I can't say they let you put more in your suitcase, but they do help keep everything nice and organized.

Not sure if Mash is a brand or something but the packing cubes come in all shapes and sizes, so it is not possible for anyone to tell you if you will both fit in one bag.
We definitely managed to pack in one suitcase with my partner. But this is due to him not having lots of stuff. My biggest packing items are always meds, toiletry bag and then clothes and shoes.
With IKEA (the cheapest I have ever found) packing cubes I can fit us both into 30 inch Samsonite soft luggage. The cubes can save you some space but they are not magic :D If you are saving, definitely skip the cubes and watch some you tube vids on how to pack efficiently without them.

I love SW,but the prices were too high.
Flying out on United.
Suitcase size is 29"x19.5"x12.5".
I think most of the mesh organizer contain 3 bags.

When we go on diving trips my honey and I always share a bag since you are allowed two bags and one holds dive gear. Get yourself a small suitcase scale to make sure you aren't overweight and look on your airlines web site to check their rules, they aren't all the same. We have found the cloth bags hold more than the hard side but don't last more than two or three trips and are obviously lighter so less weight. We have learned through the years to take less clothes, a pair of shorts or pants can be worn multiple times and shirts take up less room.

My husband and I always share one bag for a 6 night trip, but we each bring a carryon and a personal item on United. Plenty of room if you limit shoes.

Yes !!!:yay: just called United to verify my tickets and they are Standard:chat:. Which means I get 1 free carry-on,1 free personal item.:jumping1:
Were all set. Thanks guys, :disrocks:

Last edited:
We pack light and I use packing cubes I got on Ebags, they really make a difference. We stay onsite so we do laundry half way thru the week, it works well.

Doesn't United now charge for a carry on bag???
Only if you purchase the basic economy ticket. Then they make you check (and pay for) your full-sized carryon.

For basic economy: You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. Everyone else who brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge.

Last edited:
One thing to consider is in the rare case your bag gets lost/delayed then all you have is your carry-on. We usually pack 2 suitcases, with half of our stuff in each. That way we both have 3 or 4 days of clothes, and can do laundry if really really delayed.

Or you could both just Joe Tribbiani it lol!

When we go on diving trips my honey and I always share a bag since you are allowed two bags and one holds dive gear. Get yourself a small suitcase scale to make sure you aren't overweight and look on your airlines web site to check their rules, they aren't all the same. We have found the cloth bags hold more than the hard side but don't last more than two or three trips and are obviously lighter so less weight. We have learned through the years to take less clothes, a pair of shorts or pants can be worn multiple times and shirts take up less room.

OT but what kind of bag do you use for your dive gear?

My husband and son are currently in lessons, Sunday is their last pool day and the weekend after they go to RI. My sister is cringing at that and said they should of just taken lessons in West Palm with her dive master when we go in April but my DH didn't want to deal with "school" during vacation!

Anyways, I could just ask her about a bag since she travels all over its her dive gear but I keep forgetting. My son and DH just have boots, mask and flippers and they have not progressed to a wet suit yet.

I am talking plane travel, BTW.

OT but what kind of bag do you use for your dive gear?

My husband and son are currently in lessons, Sunday is their last pool day and the weekend after they go to RI. My sister is cringing at that and said they should of just taken lessons in West Palm with her dive master when we go in April but my DH didn't want to deal with "school" during vacation!

Anyways, I could just ask her about a bag since she travels all over its her dive gear but I keep forgetting. My son and DH just have boots, mask and flippers and they have not progressed to a wet suit yet.

I am talking plane travel, BTW.

We travel with our entire gear, wet suit, mask, regulators, BC, fins, snorkel, booties, gloves, hoods, sometimes 2 wetsuits, video camera, still camera and housings for both, dive computers, extra camera housing battery, video camera lights. We pack our regulators, computers, masks, my still camera gear and one day's worth of clothes in my carry on. The video camera and gear with a day's clothes in honey's back pack carry on. Currently we have biggest checked luggage allowed in a nylon type material that the two wet suits, 2 sets of fins (we use big split fins) 2 BCs, gloves, booties, hoods, etc. go in. We just buy new when what we are using gets too ripped to use, we go to the store with our little portable scale and get the lightest ones we can find with wheels. We've discovered the hard way that when dragging two huge suitcases - one with heavy gear one with clothes, and 4 carry ons (2 with the above, one lap top case for downloaded video and pictures and if internet is available for honey to work) and one personal item, normally a big tote that I carry that holds other misc. stuff like passports, wallets, bathing suit, etc. that wheels and carry ons that will stack on top of those all come in handy. I think we got our current at Homegoods. We go through luggage about every 3 trips. We used to use hard side, which are by far the best for dive gear but it is just too heavy so you can't get as much in it.

As far as taking lessons in West Palm, I kind of agree with your husband. West Palm diving can be easy or pretty rough. Our first open water dives were there and the seas were at least 6 ft. high and the currents ripping. We have had 100 ft. visibility and only 20 ft. visibility there. It's drift diving there so doing a hot jump and then getting back on a boat in 6 ft. seas your first time in the ocean can be a bear. I learned on that trip, you can indeed throw up in your regulator and that I'm one of the best current divers around. We have had trips there with almost no current, which turns a drift dive into a slow reef dive. If diving wrecks, there are more challenges involved, although I'd assume they wouldn't do that on their first dives but dropping to a wreck in a ripping current with no line can be fun.

Those packing cubes imo don't utilize space but organize. We will use them as we have 3 legs on this trip. Each gets its own cube. Keeps things organized. To give more space get one of thise ziploc or other brand plastic bags where yountakenthe air out. These really help especially with bulky stuff like sweats or sweaters. BUT remember these things work too well watch the weight!! You can get tons in but might risk an overweight suitecase. Bring less and do laundry or pack a small one in the large going and pay one one way for souvenier/ shopping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter