16 nights of Summer fun - Live Trip Report

That's a lot of rain. It was bad in Reigate on Thursday but not as bad. Although rather be in the rain at Disney!

Thanks for the continuing report. 3 weeks on Wednesday till we leave. I can make our fast passes for 12th August tomorrow morning, which will be our first one. Sons 14th birthday so will be Hollywood Studios. How have you found FP+. Seen any difference with the standby lines?

Matt wanted the doughnuts but wasn't happy the expiry date was 10th July and 13 in the box.
He gets his latest Uni results at 5am on the 10th (tomorrow)

He is quite superstitious about the number 13 when its anything to do with exams (he once sat one on Friday 13th at 13:00 :rotfl2:)

Was relieved to hear the doughnuts didn't have any effect on Matt's results:worship: Well done Matt :woohoo:
We've got our younger son's AS level results whilst out in August, whilst not 'key' exams it does have a bearing on what subjects he can continue and could put a damper on the holiday if not as hoped :confused3

Love the goofy playing football pic

Hope you get to see the Bee Gees tribute today - they do have a great catalogue of songs to choose from.

We on the western side of the UK have had some of the best weather recently - as a former resident of the south east, I am always pleased on the (rare) occasions when this happens. I must report that even Lancaster was bathed in sunshine when we were there yesterday! Wallings ice cream parlour (farm) was doing a roaring trade - put it on your list of things to do; great value home-made ice cream, huge single-scoop cones, and alpacas in the fields to gaze at :goodvibes

Sweet Tomatoes has great food and is a real bargain, but because I feel the one at Crossroads is like an industrial unit and not conducive to a 'dining experience', we tend to give it a miss. Can't beat the price you paid though ;)

Hope Matt manages to get those Press passes for September. His CV will surely secure them :thumbsup2

Thanks for the updates Wayne!

Wow, what a lot of food that day (not surprised you didn't eat in the evening ;)). I just can't get over how big the portions are in the US - when I went to New York I can't recall them being that big, but tbh I am sure they probably were.

Poor Karen looked drenched - more liquid on her than in her glass! :rotfl2: But, I'd be the same, carry on and get wet - it's not like it's freezing cold while it's raining and we can go back to OKW and wash/tumble our clothes as required! :thumbsup2 In fact, we've always done this at theme parks - you might as well make the most of the shorter queues etc.

Hope you get to see the band tonight!.

Enjoying the updates. Looks like you are having a great time. I really must book a trip to Florida as I have never been yet.

Well done Matt on his exam results:goodvibes

Loving the report as usual Wayne, camping near Cromer right now but heading off to NYC and The Sunshine state in 9 days time :0)

Sharon

Just out of curio, how are you getting on without the DDP? I know you've done it the last few years but also remember you like eating off site too.

That's a lot of rain. It was bad in Reigate on Thursday but not as bad. Although rather be in the rain at Disney!

Thanks for the continuing report. 3 weeks on Wednesday till we leave. I can make our fast passes for 12th August tomorrow morning, which will be our first one. Sons 14th birthday so will be Hollywood Studios. How have you found FP+. Seen any difference with the standby lines?

First time we have been early July so not sure what is the norm but its busy every day in every park, popular rides are all around 1+ hour, Dwarfs mine 75-90 mins each time we look (not worth anything longer than 10 mins)
The South American tour groups increase every year, Argentina chants, Brazil, Mexico + more, never seen so many. No idea why they all stay together, get behind a group in line and it adds 5-10 mins on, some are so big.

Just out of curio, how are you getting on without the DDP? I know you've done it the last few years but also remember you like eating off site too.

Karen & Matt liked having DDP and the character meals, I don't miss them at all. Onsite is just too stressful (and costly) Today we ate at Cracker Barrel, all came out stuffed for $35 + $7 tip. Onsite tips alone were costing around $20.
A couple of nights ago I had a beer at Chilis, $3.79 but they are always BOGOF, work out at $1.90, onsite the same is $7-8 for 1.
I haven't checked menu prices but I am sure tips will be even more now onsite, counter service & snack prices have gone up again. A burger with fries is now over $10, a Mickey bar $4. Tonight Matt got a small iced drink in EPCOT for $3.99, Circle K do any size for 79cents.

Same here, hate queuing for rides. We have been very lucky in the past, although most of that is probably down to lots of planning.

Never been to Cracker Barrell. Will check it out.

Friday started by the pool. Lunch was at the Ale House, Fridays they do Fish & chips for $4.99, smaller portion to the evening menu but enough for lunch. On our way to MK we called in the Poly for a Dole Whip, unfortunately the are renovating and the temp Capt. Cooks doesn't have the Dole Whip machine.
Then into MK, timed perfectly to see the new parade as we entered. We got to ride the new Mine train on FP+, glad we didn't go in the regular line, its great on FP+ and 5 mins but no way is it worth lining up for.
Evening meal in Pecos Bills again, taco salad again :goodvibes
skipper on Jungle cruise was one of the best for a long time.
Pic of us on space pretending to be asleep, got as good reaction from everyone else getting off with us seeing our pic.
Selfie on the tram at the end of the night, I think the man on the back wanted to get in it with us.

Keep forgetting to say, we are all on Three mobile, we can use our phones as we do in the UK, calls, texts & data as if we were at home. Great service. Still not gone beyond our standard £10 monthly charge.

OMG!!!! the space mountain picture is THE BEST EVER!!!!!! :worship: :worship:
where do they take the picture? at the beginning? end? middle?
soooooooo funny!!!! the kids will love that one of yours (they love doing funny ride pics - they also read on ToT)..

as for July and the south americans - the CMs refer to July as Taco month (terribly non-PC, but funny).....i don't know about the other countries, but i know that in Brazil, the trips are in honor of something that happens to them when they turn 15...so those groups are very young - a large group of relatively unsupervised 15 year olds.....they're actually not that badly behaved when you consider it that way...
but yes, they add a lot to a line if you're so unfortunate as to get behind them....
i wonder how they're handling FP+...

regarding the cost of food in the parks....ever since they introduced the dining plan, they've raised prices to match the credits..
i remember when i was there by myself, not on the dining plan, i was sooooooo upset every time i bought a drink or a frozen coke....$4 for something i could get outside the park for 99 cents or less..
but that $4 was to match the pricing equivalent of a snack credit....very annoying...

More great pictures Wayne. Friday lunchtime fish and chips at the Ale House is a favourite and we usually have one meal at Cracker Barrel too - often our last meal at the one on Semoran Boulevard, close to the airport, when we are filling up with fuel (but not at the petrol station next door, which is a real rip-off aimed at tourists filling up en route to the airport!).

Karen & Matt liked having DDP and the character meals, I don't miss them at all. Onsite is just too stressful (and costly).

Hi Wayne:wave2: Loving the TR :) Just want to be there now! I agree with you! Last time we were there, the whole holiday seemed to be taken up with getting to our dining reservations! Then of course one of us wasn't hungry, or wanted to go somewhere else, or didn't want to eat where I'd booked... drove me crazy!!:rolleyes:
This time we are driving to a place called Hutchinson Island for 5 days there; then back to OKW for a week. DH will be 60 (I'm going to be married to a pensioner!!:rotfl2:), and then we are moving to (I think where you are going) Bonnet Creek for the last 5 days. I've only made 2 TS reservations; one for 50's Prime Time on our first eve at Hollywood Studios for the Frozen spectacular; and then Boma for breakfast the following morning. We're going to try and wing it! xx

First time we have been early July so not sure what is the norm but its busy every day in every park, popular rides are all around 1+ hour, Dwarfs mine 75-90 mins each time we look (not worth anything longer than 10 mins) The South American tour groups increase every year, Argentina chants, Brazil, Mexico + more, never seen so many. No idea why they all stay together, get behind a group in line and it adds 5-10 mins on, some are so big. Karen & Matt liked having DDP and the character meals, I don't miss them at all. Onsite is just too stressful (and costly) Today we ate at Cracker Barrel, all came out stuffed for $35 + $7 tip. Onsite tips alone were costing around $20. A couple of nights ago I had a beer at Chilis, $3.79 but they are always BOGOF, work out at $1.90, onsite the same is $7-8 for 1. I haven't checked menu prices but I am sure tips will be even more now onsite, counter service & snack prices have gone up again. A burger with fries is now over $10, a Mickey bar $4. Tonight Matt got a small iced drink in EPCOT for $3.99, Circle K do any size for 79cents.

Crazy money, with all the 2 for $20 dollar deals at chillis and Applebee's and the great meals to be had at Ale House and Mannys I'd really struggle handing over the18 - 20% tip on the escalated prices for onsite dining. Nice to hear you feel the same, I guess it makes it easier for us as we do little Disney anyhow.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday
Sharon

Just catching up now, well done Matt:thumbsup2

It's so good to see a lot of new things in the mix, & that baby elephant figurine is very cute.

Good to see the old faves like Ale House and Twistee treat and funnily enough we have a restaurant.com voucher for OCharleys on arrival night and are planning to try Yard House when we go to W&W.

If you like draught/craft beer do try Seadog Brewing Co a little bit down from you (next to Hooters) and can also highly highly recommend Hilton Parc Soleil opposite you if you can get it for the right price (we're paying £179 for a week in a 1 bed apartment).

looking forward to reading more:)

It's so good to see a lot of new things in the mix, & that baby elephant figurine is very cute.

Good to see the old faves like Ale House and Twistee treat and funnily enough we have a restaurant.com voucher for OCharleys on arrival night and are planning to try Yard House when we go to W&W.

If you like draught/craft beer do try Seadog Brewing Co a little bit down from you (next to Hooters) and can also highly highly recommend Hilton Parc Soleil opposite you if you can get it for the right price (we're paying £179 for a week in a 1 bed apartment).

Out of interest how did you get Parc Soleil for so little. It looks like a lovely resort. Have stayed at Hilton Grand Vacation at SeaWorld and was very nice. I wont stay anywhere except Bonnet Creek now but my best friend is looking to go in September for as cheap as possible. Thanks

Looks like you're having a fab time, whatever the weather!

Pics are great and I really like the sound of the Harambe nights event at DAK!

Never been to Cracker Barrell. Will check it out.

Its somewhere we go in, look at the menu and think "I have no idea what to have" yet we have eaten there 4 or 5 times now and really enjoyed everything we have ordered. This time I got the campfire summer special beef, it came wrapped in tin foil as if done on a campfire with a lovely piece of braising steak (chuck steak) potatoes, carrots (possibly nicest I have ever tasted) onions & corn + corn bread & biscuits for $9.99. 2 people with smaller appetites could share.

OMG!!!! the space mountain picture is THE BEST EVER!!!!!! :worship: :worship:
where do they take the picture? at the beginning? end? middle?
soooooooo funny!!!! the kids will love that one of yours (they love doing funny ride pics - they also read on ToT)..

Its right at the beginning as you turn at the end of the tunnel, on your right hand side.

Hi Ruth, great to hear from you.
Have you been to O'Charley's before? I will certainly be looking to buy another voucher for our next trip.
I know where Seadog BC is, a friend told us about it but never been in.
How did you get that price for the Hilton, would definitely consider at that price.

Saturday (into our final week:sad2:) we set off up to Claremont to Lakeridge Winery, Each Saturday this month they have a free concert along with free wine tasting. the band (Baby Blues & the no attitude band) sounded OK online.
We just had to wait 10 mins for the next tour to start, 15 min video showing their history then a look around, ending with tasting about 6 wines, starting with their driest, finishing with the sweetest. After the tour we went out to the concert area, not many people there but it steadily filled as the afternoon went on. The band were OK, not fantastic, I think they are probably at the end of their career but still OK for a free concert. It was a good atmosphere and nice to relax in the shade listening to music.
On our way back we called for food at Cracker Barrel, great value for $35.
Next into EPCOT to try see the Bee Gees act. called in Spaceship Earth, Capt EO, Figment then started to walk around the world. Got to Norway and the weather turned again, poured it down, we managed to run into Maelstrom to use FP+ by the time we came out the rain had stopped. Thankfully it was only raining for about 30-40 mins this time.
Onto the theatre, the line was already growing so we joined, I have seen a few concerts here with some good acts, I have never seen a crowd like there was for this tribute act, they said it was their 8th year returning. We could see why, they were excellent. Matt has uploaded 4 clips to view, not sure how they sound on here but very good live. http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/sounds-like-summer-stayin-alive/

Sounds great. There really is so much else to do than just theme parks. (not that I dont love a theme park!) People I know just cant get their heads round why we go every year. I have given up trying to tell them. Enjoy your last week, time goes too quickly in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter