12/09/06 Cruise Continued ~ Pirating Bananas DIS Geekorama Part 2 Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 9/11 story . . .

When I originally went on the school board, I was appointed (a previous board member had died in an accident). I was a very reluctant politician, and had I not been appointed at first, I probably would never have run for office.

Anyway, 2001 was the first year that I had to run for my seat on the board. I did my first campaign like I did Disney when we first went - comando style control freak. I had a wonderful campaign committee of friends, and we were meeting every Tuesday morning at my office for a campaign commitee meeting. We were meeting that Tuesday as usual, and while meeting my MIL (who was home with Sophia, our 19 month old) called me on my cell phone to tell me a plane had hit the world trade center. Like others, I told the folks I was with, and we all thought it was a small plane, and an accident.

My friends left, and the rest of the day unfolded to all our horror. MIL kept calling me with updates - tried to get internet updates, and CNN was flooded and you got verrry sloooow updates. I will never forget I was running for office at the time, and that I was in that meeting. The owner of our company was out of town too, and I had to make some business and community decisions for us. That day I called the Red Cross, and told them that we would be taking special collections at our stores for the Red Cross to help victims of the tragedy.

I was also school board president that year, and had to make decisions with our Superintendent on how to handle the kids at school. We let parents who wanted to pick up their kids. We allowed kids to call home and use their cell phones. We allowed kids who were mature enough at the High School to turn on the news as the day unfolded. And we made our counselors and best teachers available for kids who wanted to talk about what was happening.

Our VP of operations was in Las Vegas for a Bakery show, and was actually IN a plane, at the gate when they grounded all the planes. After three days in Vegas, he and the two guys with him rented a car and drove all the way back to Ohio. Three guys in a rented Dodge Neon. On their way home, they stopped at a McDonalds, and he forgot his palm pilot in a McD's in Kansas. They called us because they opened it and found his address, and they mailed it back. It was that kind of time, that NO ONE thought of doing wrong, and keeping something like that.

My most prevelant memory though was the silence in the skies. We had a dog then too, and we live very near our regional airport. There is almost never a time that I am outside that a plane is not taking off, landing, or flying in the short distance. When I would take the dog out, the silence in the skies those nights was eerie. I felt like we had been sent back to an earlier time. When planes did happen to go by infrequently, they were always military, and it was almost a scarey sound, instead of the familiar one that let you know everything was OK.

I do miss something about that time. I know many have said it, but we were truly together as a nation then. We all looked at each other differently, and you got a brotherly feeling from each and every other one of our countymen. We all flew our flags more proudly - and I have flown one at my house consistently since that day. We developed a great respect at that time for those who serve us in our fire departments (Amy's dad is a retired firefighter), police, and others who serve us in our communities. We have become so crazily divided since that time that it is sad to me - and there is not one person, party, or group to blame for that - we are all to blame.

I often hope and pray we can come together like that again without the need for a tragedy like 9/11. Our politicians will have to grow up a lot if that is going to happen. I often worry that we brought another child into the world shortly before the tragedy, a world that has become so changed from the much more innocent time we knew before, and a way of life she may never really know or understand in her lifetime.

John1

pyramid2000 said:
Hmmmmmmmm, nonparticipating spouse....wonder if there will be any available?? :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I think we may have a couple of those! :thumbsup2

Well, we may be able to convince one of the other poor souls on the ship to stop long enough to take one picture...with each of the cameras. :lmao: At least a few of those rebels. :thumbsup2

becka said:
:yay:

I kind of feel sorry for anyone else who books that tour. They just have no idea. It will probably be someone from the dining rooms who just wants some peace and quiet after dealing with us all week. :lmao:
I do too! Can you even imagine that! I wonder how many people will be allowed on this excursion. I hope my MIL can book it. She can't book until the Oct. date.

klineyqueen said:
It is currently 87 degrees on Castaway Cay! It is only in the high 50s here right now!!!!!

It is 66 here. We have had the windows opened for three days now. I know that the heat will return but this is very nice for now. :sunny:

And please let us know when Amy starts calling you John1 at home. Or V to John2! :rotfl: :rotfl:

klineyqueen said:
Yee Haw...I am now booked on the 1:15 Friday Catamaran Island Tour. That will be fun. My whole family is booked...all 4 of us!

YEAH!!! You have been added to the count! How many people do those things hold anyway? We have 44 so far...and counting!

klineyqueen said:
Caroline...I feel some pent up tension building over your spelling. I think you will be the smiley with the frying pan! :happytv: (JK)

OK Caroline - I quit. White Flag. I will ONLY point out the mis-spelling if it is as funny as that Lust/Just post. And, I am trying to avoid you packing a frying pan in your bags!

Let the mis-spelling resume!

John

becka said:

I kind of feel sorry for anyone else who books that tour. They just have no idea. It will probably be someone from the dining rooms who just wants some peace and quiet after dealing with us all week. :lmao:

:happytv: Can you imagine!!! They could walk onboard....see us there...then walk right back off and cancel. It will be just like chat. :rotfl: Maybe we should rename that excursion. :thumbsup2

becka said:
Do you see what happens around here when I fall asleep on the couch? DH gets on here and starts causing trouble. Off to find my frying pan....
paddle.gif

Becka,

Is that a bat, or a rolling pin?

John1

lillygator said:
ok my image looking fine in print preview and then when I printed...on magnet paper no less...it cut a smidge off one whole side.

Ugh! Mother always said....print on cheap paper first!! :teeth:

I think the late monday night FB game is very late! The game is starting when DH is ready to go to bed! I hope the Eagles don't have any of those! If I had a fast connection I would check...since my connection is so darn slow...I won't!

klineyqueen said:
It is currently 87 degrees on Castaway Cay! It is only in the high 50s here right now!!!!!

Yeah, but isn't the fall air nice!

I took the dog for a brisk walk, and it feels good to sweat in this weather!

John1

Jhalkias said:
My most prevelant memory though was the silence in the skies. We had a dog then too, and we live very near our regional airport. There is almost never a time that I am outside that a plane is not taking off, landing, or flying in the short distance. When I would take the dog out, the silence in the skies those nights was eerie. I felt like we had been sent back to an earlier time. When planes did happen to go by infrequently, they were always military, and it was almost a scarey sound, instead of the familiar one that let you know everything was OK.

We don't often have a lot of air traffic here but until it was gone we didn't realize the little bit we had. It was eerily silent and I will never forget about 2 days after the attack laying in bed about 10 at night and hearing a plane. It scared DH and I half to death. It was something that previously would not even have phased us. It was the jets leaving Whiteman AFB about an hour away from here. We just had to wonder where they were going.

I actually had just gotten to work that morning and I was checking the CB on the DIS for a few minutes before I got started. I saw the post about the first plane hitting but I just assumed it must be a little crop duster type plane. I was just about to log off when I saw a post that another plane had hit the other tower and my heart stopped. I had no radio or TV so my only news that day was the DIS CB. The news sites were so bogged down you could not connect but so many were posting live on the CB as they had news. I was able to relay some of that information to my co-workers.

I had not seen any footage of the disaster until I got home. I remember turning on the TV, gasping and sitting down on the couch. I was still sitting there with my purse unable to move from that position until DH got home. I could not stop watching TV and crying. It was just so horrible.

klineyqueen said:
Yee Haw...I am now booked on the 1:15 Friday Catamaran Island Tour. That will be fun. My whole family is booked...all 4 of us!

We need to bring that Pirate Flag on this cruise - Captain Jack, who is in charge of the flag???

John1

becka said:

Can you just see their faces as they show up at the dock . . .?

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

As we all Chant:

TAKE WHAT YOU CAN!

GIVE NOTHING BACK!

John1

lbgraves said:
:happytv: Can you imagine!!! They could walk onboard....see us there...then walk right back off and cancel. It will be just like chat. :rotfl: Maybe we should rename that excursion. :thumbsup2

:rotfl:

Jhalkias said:
Yeah, but isn't the fall air nice!

I took the dog for a brisk walk, and it feels good to sweat in this weather!

John1
I wanted to buy mums today...I am now ready for my fall decorations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter