1 Crazy Lady's Lawn Displays 2008! Update on Page 13 - BUSTED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timon-n-Pumbaa Fan

<font color=blue>Identifies with Pumbaa's Flatulen
I just want to start by saying that I think it's great that people like to put up memorial/holiday yard displays. There is nothing wrong with it in my book. However, there are some folks out there that just have NO sense about it. By that I mean, they do a really bad job and it looks super tacky. There is a particuarly colorful little old lady that lives in a nearby neighborhood. I pass by her house almost everyday on my way to work. She decorates for just about every major holiday and then some. I have decided to share with you the displays in hopes that they will be a guide for What NOT to do to your lawn!

The first display erected in 2008 is for Martin Luther King, Jr's holiday. I know the holiday was last Monday, but I was only able to get the photos over the weekend. From the road, it's clear that there is something just not quite right about "MLK" standing there. What I mean is, even from the road, you can see that the head has been painted brown and has PINK lips. That has been a source of a lot of giggles for me lately. MLK with bright pink lips.....OMG, not to be politically incorrect, but I think the man would prefer not to be remembered this way. You can see that the homeowner is quite proud of her displays and has put spotlights out, so that they can be "enjoyed" even at night.

1089531.jpg

Ok, now, if that wasn't bad enough from a distance, I went in for the "head shot" and OMG, just look for yourself......
1089532.jpg

Did you see that? It's a FEMALE mannequin head! Not only did she paint a caucasian mannequin brown, she used a female head. Oh, and in case you couldn't tell from the top shot, there are no hands on this MLK either. She did use a safety pin to attach a hat to the sleeve of his jacket though. The wind has blown the pants out of the shoes, there are no legs or feet and of course the purple and black tie have been windblown too.

Ok, so, now you know how not to do an MLK day yard display. Until the next holiday, just remember.....just because you CAN put up a display in honor of a holiday, doesn't mean you SHOULD put up a display.

Update: The new and more respectful thread is found at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1746195.

I loves me some people like that! They mean so well....:rotfl2:

Her use of the caucasian maniquin head in "black face" to represent Martin Luther King was not well thought out (to put it mildly). It looks more like Barack Obama if you ask me.

Outsider Art -- Gotta Luv it. Whoda thunk Dr. King liked his shirts kinda ruffly?;)

OMG I was talking on the phone earlier and happened to be sitting by the puter and clicked on this thread.................I almost lost it laughing hysterically!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just don't even know what to say about that!!!!!! Too funny!! and the spotlights.......:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:scared1: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: How did you ever get close enough for that head shot without being noticed?!! Can't wait for president's day!!

Oh my is really all I can think of. At the very least, why doesn't she go out there often to do some little maintenence of him? I guess a person just has to think about where her heart is. :rotfl:

Good heavens! :scared: I am choosing to focus on the positive aspects of this display. There are some... right?

Well, I am glad that you all are enjoying this. To answer the question, I was kind of scared to walk up into crazy lady's yard, but you know, I had to get that head shot.....it's just gold, ya' know? :rotfl:

I laugh still looking at these pictures. When I rode by her house this morning, only the flag remained up. I am guessing that the Valentine's Day display will be up soon. I will be sure to share it with you in all of it's :eek: glory.

I've a mind to be 'right-offended' ...

As soon as I'm done laughing...

This has the potential to be a classic thread.:thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to future holidays.

This is going to be a classic, just like Jeafl's gift threads! :thumbsup2

any update on the Valentines day display?

any update on the Valentines day display?

Yes, the pieces were starting to appear this morning. There are a couple of tables and some oh so festive archways that were up this morning. The whole thing was not up, but we had a little rain overnight, so I can only assume that she got more done today, since it was sunny. I will be sure to post :love: pics asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter