£/$ Rate getting higher again

Wayneg
Do you think its worth paying off our cruise early while the exchange rate is good?
We will be using a 0% CC so its not as if we would lose interest on savings
sue

Wayneg
Do you think its worth paying off our cruise early while the exchange rate is good?
sue

If I knew I would be very rich.:goodvibes
Its a personal choice, most forcasts think we are at about the peak and the next 12 months will see a drop to around $1.90 but no-one really knows. Bad financial data from either side of the Atlantic will send their currency down.
I have cruise booked for August 09 but if I pay will lose interest I am earning so swings and roundabouts.
Just dont end up paying interest on your CC, thats the worst way to go.

Glad your back, Johnny. Must be close to your hols.

Thanks.

No 6 months or so yet, holiday moved from March for various reasons.
Going August instead but happy we are sorted anyway.

Have our $ sorted though - it is a bonus when the rate is this good.

Wayneg
sue
I paid most of ours off today too

w ehave used travelex in the past and picked the currency up at the airport last year manaed to get 2.05/1 from them!! have also got a post offcie credit card which doesnt charge a fee for using abroad its great and gives good exchange rates. look at martins money saving website he gives great advice on getting the most for your pound

Kirstie and family

Taking this one stage further, has anyone booked tickets to Orlando via an American carrier, paying in US$?

We're thinking of booking a trip in October/November and have always booked with Virgin Holidays before. Looking at individual costings though, I reckon I can save at least a couple of hundred quid booking everything seperately.

And now that the $ rate is so good, I'm wondering if I should just book all the flights, car hire, hotel and tickets with American companies and stick it all on a Nationwide credit card.

Just a thought!

Not 100% sure but don't think any US carrier will allow you to book on their sites and pay in $US. You need a US address for the booking. Most if not all of them have a UK section to their site and you have to pay in £UK's.
One way that it is possible is use Orbitz(must be others also) I have a free flight out this August using Virgin Miles needed a flight home, used Orbitz to book a BMI flight at $450 each, direct with BMI it was £450 each.
Hotels I have booked a couple of times with US sites but in general UK sites get better rates if you use sites like Hotelopia, Alpharooms or travelrepublic as there prices include all taxes and fees, US sites are usually just a base price(but not always) Hotelopia has been great this year with codes around upto 15% discount and 10% cashback thru rpoints or Quidco.
For tickets we have AP's for all parks and pay with Nationwide cc. need a few tickets for friend at Easter, bought them all direct from the parks in $US, they have good offers on, not worth using an agent.

Just tell her it is unpredictable - which is true after all.

Most of our $ we got at between 1.90 and 1.98 ish - fact is anything around 1.90 or more is good.
I remember 'the good old days' when it was 1.60!

!.60!

I bought DVC at $1.34 to the pound in 2002. Still thought it was a bargain then!

Thanks.

No 6 months or so yet, holiday moved from March for various reasons.
Going August instead but happy we are sorted anyway.

Have our $ sorted though - it is a bonus when the rate is this good.
Glad your sorted. We may see you as we're going in August too.

My First Trip In 1998 Only Got $1.32
Johnnyshrap2 How Do You Get That Picture Under Your User Name

Wayne, is that the bank rate & if so does that mean if I bought my US tickets & paid with my debit card, I would get that rate.

Yes its the interbank rate. You need to look at your own banks T&C's I mistakenly used my Halifax debit card a couple of years ago for a $3 ice cream, they charged me 2.5% plus a £1.50 fee. Glad I only did it once.
Personally I use Nationwide Credit card for anything abroad, it gives the full interbank rate ($2.01 today) and no fees. I believe their debit card is the same but I only use their credit card.

The commercial mid rate went over the $2 mark again today started rising as soon as interest rates were put on hold yesterday and we were told not to expect an change until May.

I paid off another $2k on my 2009 cruise, so will be just over the £1k mark, good deal, everything for 2008 paid for in $'s!!

The commercial mid rate went over the $2 mark again today started rising as soon as interest rates were put on hold yesterday and we were told not to expect an change until May.

I paid off another $2k on my 2009 cruise, so will be just over the £1k mark, good deal, everything for 2008 paid for in $'s!!

I am still going with my investment and paying off as late as poss. Worked it out with what I am getting in interest the $ has to drop below $1.85 to wish I had paid off now, anything over $1.85 better off staying with investment. Time will tell.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter