£/$ Rate getting higher again

wayneg

Gone up the past week again from about $1.94 upto $1.99, fingers crossed for $2/£1 when we go in 3 weeks.

nice to hear, where is that? mgiht change some up now for our wedding

well least its climbing the right way! we may trasnfer to our suntrust account so may get a good rate doing that but least its going up and not down!

Does this mean i'll take stick from my fiancée for telling her that her work's currency advisor was wrong when he said it would rise and i said it was falling? :( Oh well, i'll get as good as i gave :goodvibes

Does this mean i'll take stick from my fiancée for telling her that her work's currency advisor was wrong when he said it would rise and i said it was falling? :( Oh well, i'll get as good as i gave :goodvibes

Just tell her it is unpredictable - which is true after all.

Most of our $ we got at between 1.90 and 1.98 ish - fact is anything around 1.90 or more is good.
I remember 'the good old days' when it was 1.60!

It can still go either way with neither UK or US economy doing great.

Most of our $ we got at between 1.90 and 1.98 ish - fact is anything around 1.90 or more is good.

Great to see you post again, not seen any posts for a while

I remember travelling with my parents when I was little and getting almost $2 to the £, and then the next trip we took, we hardly got $1.30! :sad2:

When buying souvies at WDW, I always just half the displayed price and then add a little bit for tax. When DH points out that my purchases are not quite that cheap, I always reply "Well, it's easier to calculate this way!" :laughing:

Glad your back, Johnny. Must be close to your hols.

I know some people have mentioned using cards, but if you were to get currency/traveller's cheques, where would you go?

Last year we pre-booked ours with Travelex and got a decent rate, however Manchester Airport have now ousted all their travelex locations, so there's nowhere to collect from. I was considering using crown currency exchange, but I'm just a little worried about how "safe/secure" this might be considering the amount of money I'll be giving to a company I haven't really heard of before. Any suggestions?

I know some people have mentioned using cards, but if you were to get currency/traveller's cheques, where would you go?

Last year we pre-booked ours with Travelex and got a decent rate, however Manchester Airport have now ousted all their travelex locations, so there's nowhere to collect from. I was considering using crown currency exchange, but I'm just a little worried about how "safe/secure" this might be considering the amount of money I'll be giving to a company I haven't really heard of before. Any suggestions?

In my 14 years of going to US I have found best and safest way is a fee free credit card. If you have to exchange then Crown do offer good rates but to get a good rate it probably means tying money with them for a long time, losing interest and not being secure. Personally I don't think its worth using them to save a few Dollars, in fact their rates are not that great just now and can end up with less $'s for your £. Here is comparison with £2,000 with Crown or keep it and use a card

Their best rate is 2.043(March 09) if you give them your money for a full year. Work on exchange rates staying the same as today your £2,000 would only get $4,086 compared to $4,182 keeping your money invested and using fee free CC.
Lots of ifs or buts but generally crown exchange are not as good as they look and not 100% safe.

Only other option is somewhere like Post office, M&S etc, look for the best rate you can.

Hi and welcome back Johnny.... thought you'd done a runner with Obi!!

I can remember when you got $2.50..... back in the seventies!! Things were really cheap then!!!
Think we drove from Ohio to Florida for about £20 :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hope it goes up to $2 again before we fly out in April!!
Keep us posted, Wayne!!

Just wondering if anyone has ever exchanged any sterling at a bank out there?? Looked at our bank's website (Wachovia) and it was giving $1.98 for £!

Tracy x

I can remember when you got $2.50..... back in the seventies!! Things were really cheap then!!!
Think we drove from Ohio to Florida for about £20 :rotfl: :rotfl:
Just wondering if anyone has ever exchanged any sterling at a bank out there?? Looked at our bank's website (Wachovia) and it was giving $1.98 for £!
Tracy x

05/06/1973 $2.5830
Looks like this was the peak. I was 6 year old and didn't go abroad until I was about 18 so no recollection about it at all, happy at $2 but this would be great.

Never changed money over there always use card now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter