‘Davy Crockett’ star Fess Parker dies at 85

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
‘Davy Crockett’ star Fess Parker dies at 85

LOS ANGELES - Fess Parker, the actor best known for playing American folk hero Davy Crockett, has died at the age of 85, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The paper said Parker, who became a successful winery owner and real estate developer after retiring from Hollywood in the 1970s, died of complications from old age at his home in California.

My favorite Disney actor of all time. Fess thanks for bringing us such great moments that will live on forever.

I just saw this on the news. Made me very teary eyed. Davey Crockett was one of my favorite shows. The news referred to him as one of the biggest stars of the golden age of television and I have to say "amen" to that.

Davy, Daniel, he was also of course in Old Yeller and the Great Locomotive Chase. And Westward Ho' The Wagons.
Pleased to remember I saw it all in "real time" and not re-runs..and of course I had my Coonskin Cap!
He had a long and full life and will be missed!

I was so saddened by this as well. I watched it all in re-runs, but it was still some of my first Disney exposure as a child. God bless you, Fess! R.I.P.

Fess Parker was such a great actor. We recently watched him in Hell is for Heroes with Steve McQueen. We also are enjoying watching the 6 seasons he did of Daniel Boone. We had the pleasure of visiting his families winery a few years ago also. Fess Parker and Disney just go hand in hand.

Fess was a friend since 1987. He contributed to several of my books and two historical journals that I publish. But more than that, he was a true gentleman, a fine husband, a loving father and a considerate grandfather.

This (and two other Fess Parker threads) have gotten very little response. I'm beginning to think that a large # of Disboard members haven't a clue as to who he was or his Disney connection.
And if I'm correct, that's very sad.

This (and two other Fess Parker threads) have gotten very little response. I'm beginning to think that a large # of Disboard members haven't a clue as to who he was or his Disney connection.
And if I'm correct, that's very sad.

Sad but true.

"Celebrations" magazine is a publishing an article about Davy Crockett in Walt Disney Word soon. The article was written prior to Fess' death.

Our family has been a huge fan of Fess Parker! All six of our sons have been "raised" on his movies. All have gone through their coon-skin cap and wooden rifle phase. Right now our six year old is still dressing up as Davy Crockett. My twelve and six year olds have been watching all the Fess Parker Daniel Boone movies. They have decided that Davy Crockett would whip Daniel Boone.;) We love to go out to Crockett's Tavern in FW to see all the Fess Parker/Davy Crockett memorabilia. Our boys have enjoyed having us take their picture near his portrait in the restaurant. We have also loved him in his other movies like the "Great Locomotive Chase", etc. Just a few weeks ago, I was thinking how sad our family would be the day that we hear that our beloved Fess Parker is gone. Unfortunately, that day has come.:sad2:

Our family has been a huge fan of Fess Parker! All six of our sons have been "raised" on his movies. All have gone through their coon-skin cap and wooden rifle phase. Right now our six year old is still dressing up as Davy Crockett. My twelve and six year olds have been watching all the Fess Parker Daniel Boone movies. They have decided that Davy Crockett would whip Daniel Boone.;) We love to go out to Crockett's Tavern in FW to see all the Fess Parker/Davy Crockett memorabilia. Our boys have enjoyed having us take their picture near his portrait in the restaurant. We have also loved him in his other movies like the "Great Locomotive Chase", etc. Just a few weeks ago, I was thinking how sad our family would be the day that we hear that our beloved Fess Parker is gone. Unfortunately, that day has come.:sad2:

Last year, the Crockett Tavern at WDW updated and reorganized its various Fess Parker/Davy Crockett displays. It's nicely done with proper acknowledgements to both Fess and the Crockett of history.

Last year, the Crockett Tavern at WDW updated and reorganized its various Fess Parker/Davy Crockett displays. It's nicely done with proper acknowledgements to both Fess and the Crockett of history.

Thanks for the information! We will be sure and make it a point to visit there in May.:thumbsup2

I was actually saddened to be roaming MK Frontierland on Friday night, and not finding a single coonskin cap being sold anywhere (though there were a few skunk caps).

Part of me wants to hope that this is because there was a run on Crockett hats due to the news, but the reality is probably that they had stopped stocking them long before.

We'll miss you, Fess.

I was actually saddened to be roaming MK Frontierland on Friday night, and not finding a single coonskin cap being sold anywhere (though there were a few skunk caps).

Part of me wants to hope that this is because there was a run on Crockett hats due to the news, but the reality is probably that they had stopped stocking them long before.

We'll miss you, Fess.

Unfortunately, there was no run on the caps (we are in WDW now). Over the years, the coonskin caps have diminished in quality from the original rabbit w/raccoon tail variety to the current faux whaterver-fur. And the "Old Betsy" rifles with their satisfactory walnut-looking finish have been replaced by awkward blue and red replicas that feature no identification.

Nevertheless: Davy Crockett...still "King of the Wild Frontier."

Fess was just as much a part of the Disney family as Walt and Roy themselves (imo). Truely an entertainment icon who should never be forgotten.
May you rest in peace, Fess Parker.

I can remember when Davy "mania" was at it's higest that they actually came ourt with several Davy Crockett comic books and also baseball card-like Davy Crocket cards with stills from the show pictured on them.

I can remember when Davy "mania" was at it's higest that they actually came ourt with several Davy Crockett comic books and also baseball card-like Davy Crocket cards with stills from the show pictured on them.

Dell issued several comics: Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter; Davy Crockett at the Alamo; Davy Crockett's Keel Boat Race; and Davy Crockett and the River Pirates.

Topps issued two Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier 80-card bubble-gum sets: the orange-back series and the more rare green-back series.

Lots more merchandise, to be sure!

Glad my memory was correct!
Of course I had all the comics and probably most of the cards--but the operative word is HAD. Along with all my other comic books, football/baseball cards. lunch boxes,etc they ALL got tossed out. Most likely in stages by my mother as she attemted to keep the house clean.
But oh what they all would be worth today!!!!

Glad my memory was correct!
Of course I had all the comics and probably most of the cards--but the operative word is HAD. Along with all my other comic books, football/baseball cards. lunch boxes,etc they ALL got tossed out. Most likely in stages by my mother as she attemted to keep the house clean.
But oh what they all would be worth today!!!!

The green-back Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier card set remains one of the most in-demand Crockett collectibles. See eBay, for example.

However, the rarest Davy Crockett collectibles are listed in The Davy Crockett Alamanac & Book of Lists. (Eakin Press, TX). The book was dedicated to Fess Parker and includes a contribution from him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter