Zootopia expansion coming to Shanghai

https://insidethemagic.net/2016/01/new-zootopia-exhibit-to-open-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Zootopia is so perfect for Animal Kingdom that they did a lot of their advertising there for the film. Here's some of the quotes from the article on Inside the Magic's website.

"Researchers for the animated film took 18 months to observe animals and their behaviors, with part of that time spent at Disney’s Animal Kingdom."

“Research is such an important part of every animated film we make at Disney, and for ‘Zootopia’ our research began at Disney’s Animal Kingdom to meet with some of the best animal experts in the world, “Zootopia” producer Clark Spencer told the Disney Parks Blog.”

“Everything that we learned about animal behaviors, personalities and movement our artists incorporated into the world of ‘Zootopia,’ and to now be able to share those discoveries and influences with the guests at the park is truly a full circle moment.”

And Pandora is perfect for AK too. Just my opinion.

I am done with this argument. From what I know Zootopia is not currently in the cards for any WDW park.

And Pandora is perfect for AK too. Just my opinion.

I am done with this argument. From what I know Zootopia is not currently in the cards for any WDW park.

You have a right to your opinion. I'm just stating the facts and people can judge for themselves whether Zootopia belongs.

You have a right to your opinion. I'm just stating the facts and people can judge for themselves whether Zootopia belongs.
I’m not interested in joining the argument but I don’t recall a whole lot of facts being included in the discussion.

Seems pretty clear

I DID state the facts. I disagree with people who say Zootopia doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom. Zootopia is about animals, so I see no reason why it can't be in the park with that theming. Rteetz and others have said they are too human-like, but you can really say that about a lot animals in Disney Animated Movies.

I think it comes down to if one thinks something featuring real animals (acting either like animals or like people, in a setting they might really be found in or not) fits or not .... or do mythical creatures or extinct creatures that don’t really exist in today’s real world but act like they would in their proper setting and their actual habitat (real or made up) is presented fit

I think it is fine to think bot either or neither work, but that is really the discussion. To me AK is more about presenting actual habitats and letting people explore them (be they real or made up) but I certainly see the other side

I think it comes down to if one thinks something featuring real animals (acting either like animals or like people, in a setting they might really be found in or not) fits or not .... or do mythical creatures or extinct creatures that don’t really exist in today’s real world but act like they would in their proper setting and their actual habitat (real or made up) is presented fit

I think it is fine to think bot either or neither work, but that is really the discussion. To me AK is more about presenting actual habitats and letting people explore them (be they real or made up) but I certainly see the other side

I'm cool with whatever people want to think. But I think most animals in Disney Animated Movies are seen as unanimal like. Whether it be Dumbo flying with his ears or Nana the dog watching after the Darling children like a nanny.

I'm cool with whatever people want to think. But I think most animals in Disney Animated Movies are seen as unanimal like. Whether it be Dumbo flying with his ears or Nana the dog watching after the Darling children like a nanny.

I see those (which while a bit “extra”) still are acting like animals (walk on all 4s don’t really where clothes, don’t talk) as different than say rescuers or even something like Jiminy Cricket

Alright Exhibit F, Beastly Kingdom.

Camp Minnie Mickey opened with the park in 1998 and was eventually closed in 2014. It was said to be a temporary land until they got the funding for Beastly Kingdom. In this land it showed Mickey and his friends fishing and doing multiple other woodsy activities.

However... However even if it was replaced by Beastly Kingdom it would have still had Mickey in its land. One of the 3 attractions was supposed to be a Fantasia themed one, which showed Sorcerer Mickey and multiple scenes from the movie.

So where in Shanghai would an Zootopia area fit? And has there been any indication on when work would start? Or be completed?

So, my personal thoughts on zootopia in AK:
Right now we have 2 continents (africa/Asia), a moon (pandora), and Dinoland that is completly out of left field. Adding a land based primarily on an IP would not fit based on the current layout of AK. Too make a whole land based on an IP, it would fit better at DHS. However, if they took Dinoland out and made it South America. You could leave Dinosaur and add an attraction based on Zootopia. You could theme it to the rainforest scene in the movie. I think that could fit.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
So where in Shanghai would an Zootopia area fit? And has there been any indication on when work would start? Or be completed?
This information is from RandySavage on WDWMagic forums, just to give you an idea on where this could fit in the park.
-Yellow at the gate was designated for a resort hotel.
-Purple were marked expansion pads, and currently are partially occupied with "temp" attractions (Marvel & Star Wars exhibits & Meet Mickey). Then there is the large Fireworks launch area at the top, which wasn't marked as an expansion site on the early documents, but could potentially be used as one (as in HKDL).
-Green areas were marked as expansion pads, are empty, but could only hold smaller scale additions, not a land.
-Red: the remaining plot marked for expansion, big enough to hold a new land: Zootopia, Phase I??
sdl-expansions-jpg.344193

I can't see the image. Does it show for others?

Is the red space to the right of fantasyland? That seems like the most likely spot. I don't think much can fit between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter