• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Zone 4 and shade?

bananiem

It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.<
We moved into our house in Nov. I'll want to get a landscaper in to design the front of the house but I'd like to give some ideas of what we want. Otherwise I'll end up with landscaping that looks just like everyone else's!
Our house faces north and we're in Zone 4.
I don't mind a few hostas and I like hydrangeas. If I knew how to post pics I would post one to show the area.
What would be other good shrubs or plants?
ann

Hi Ann! :flower3:

First off, congrats to you on moving into your new home! :) What an exciting (and hectic!!) time for you. :)

Ann, is it a new house with a blank garden canvas, or a home with existing beds?

Is your house a traditional design that might suit a symmetrical, more formal landscape, or is a country cottage style home? :)

I'll PM you. You can email me a pic and I'll post it for you.

Kim

It's a new construction so it's a completely blank canvas.
I sent you a picture. Thanks for offering to post it for me!
ann

Here's your house pic, Ann! It's a great looking house! :)

closing.jpg

You mention other landscaping in the neighbourhood. Do other houses have the same type of raised bed that you have? If so, someone must have something that you think looks nice? :)

I have no idea what your personal style or colour preferences are (or what your soil is like), but I would probably be looking for plants to cover up the foundation wall that's still visible.

In the right hand corner of your porch, something a little taller than the rest might be good. Perhaps a Slender Deutzia - 2' - 4' tall, 3' - 4' wide, mounded, casual-looking, flowering shrub. A Barberry may be another idea. You can have a look ~right here~ for info and pics on both of these. If I was sitting on your nice big porch, I'd like to be able to watch the world go by, but still have some coverage and privacy, and at least in the corner area, a larger shrub(s) would help.

Boxwoods are another suggestion. A neat and tidy appearance. Check them out,

here!

For seasonal colour and hardiness (also low maintenance) daylilies, coreopsis, and sedums, interspersed with spring bulbs would like nice. Groundcovers and annuals that trail over the retaining wall would look great! :)

These are only ideas, as I'm certainly (not by any stretch of the imagination..lol) not a garden designer! I'm more of a plopper than a planner. ;) Remember that your garden is a work in progress, constantly evolving. I do hope you have fun with it! :)

I also hope the other Buds will give you some suggestions too! :) I'm hoping our newest Bud (mdvaden) will come back and give you some free (of course!! :)) advice! He is a professional!

If I think of anything else, I'll post it! At the moment I'm very DIStracted (;)) with my usual Christmas panic and the snowstorm that's interfering with my last minute shopping!!! Yikes!! :crazy:

I do like daylilies and I do love the colors of the varieties of barberry. In fact we had about 5 different kinds at our last house! What could give me those colors without the thorns?
Several houses in the neighborhood have retaining walls like ours but I really want our landscaping to look different. Everybody has spirea and barberry and hostas. I want kind-of an old farmhouse look.
Would a lilac variety like Miss Kim work in partial shade?

Bananiem, sounds like you moved in about the same time we did. I can hardly wait to get at some landscaping, and this snowless winter has me thinking of it even more! Our house isn't quite north, but more northwest. I'll have lots of sun for the most part, because we are on a meadow. Any suggestions for me, Kim?

Ann, I was going to suggest a Miss Kim lilac (honest..lol), but was unsure just how much sun it would receive. Where in the pic were you thinking of placing it?

Although they do best in full sun, if they receive at least half a day of sun, it should do okay. It probably won't blossom as profusely, but if you want one, go for it!! :)

You mentioned that you like hydrangeas. They would work well for you with your partial shade, and give you the flowers you want. Here's a link to some hydrangeas you might want to consider, Hardy Hydrangeas for Minnesota.

It's nice to see you here, Diane! :)

Now I'm wondering how far apart you and Ann live from each other? :)

Diane, have you contacted a landscape architect to help you with your grounds? Your lot is quite large, isn't it?

Diane, I've only seen a few log homes, and nothing as spectacular as yours. To me, your house is nature, built from nature, and in MHO, the grounds should be a extension of that. Or is it the other way around? ;) :)

Anything too manicured would detract from the setting and the style, of your home. Plants/trees/flowers that are indigenous to your area would work best. Please remember, that's just my feeling about it. You of course, are free to do whatever pleases you!

The following article explains what I'm trying to get across. You may have already read it since it is from a log homes site. ;) :)

~The Art of Naturescaping~

Here's another link listing wildflowers of Minnesota. You may have many of these already on your lot! Many of them are protected, but here in Ontario many protected flowers are available at the larger nurseries. I'm assuming it is probably the same in Minnesota.

~Wildflowers of Minnesota~

Diane, I have a question for you! Your house sits on a hill or rise, right? Do you have any plans to create a water feature? Perhaps, a small scale version of the waterfalls at Wilderness Lodge? If you do, and have a deck or patio with an eating area that overlooks it, that would be wonderful!! You could even name it....Artist Point! :teeth:

Anyone else with some ideas/suggestions? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter