Zipping from place to place with rental car

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
It's been 8 years since I've been to the World. IIRC, it is pretty quick to get from park to park, resort, DTD with the rental car, right?! Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes if I wanted to go from MK to DTD for lunch, then back to POR to rest and swim for a bit in the afternoon?

It may be faster to take Disney transportation back to POR and then drive to DTD. The drive from the Contemporary to DTD is about 15 minutes depending on traffic and time of year. At Xmas it takes a lot longer to get anywhere.

It will probably take you 15-20 minutes just to get out of the park at MK and to the TTC. Then another 10-15 minute to get to DTD. I would allow at least 30 minutes travel time to get anywhere in WDW by car.

15-20 minutes is probably a good estimate of the driving time from one location to another, but that does not include the time it takes to get to your car, find a parking space, and then get to wherever you're going. MK to wherever is probably one of the longest because you get to get from MK to the TTC (where the parking lot is) first either via the ferry or monorail.

When you go to MK use the bus, otherwise use your car for everything else.

You will be better off taking the bus back to resort and then jumping into your rental car and heading to DTD. Of course, the boat transportation from POR is pretty nice also.

It's been 8 years since I've been to the World. IIRC, it is pretty quick to get from park to park, resort, DTD with the rental car, right?! Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes if I wanted to go from MK to DTD for lunch, then back to POR to rest and swim for a bit in the afternoon?

There is no such thing as "zipping" around Disney. 1. There are a lot of traffic lights, 2. There is a ton of traffic and 3. if you Zip to fast, you will get zapped by the police. What used to be easy a few years ago has become a total PITA.

Rental car faster than busses almost all the time. Done both. On the rare happenstance you walk up to find a bus waiting for your intended destination you might be able to bus faster, but as a general rule your own car is teh way to go

I'd say 15-25 minutes driving (not counting getting to your car..but you'd have to get the to the bus and wait there too) is reasonable. We've never had any issue at any time of year with a rental car, and wouldn't tour WDW without one! :thumbsup2

It may be faster to take Disney transportation back to POR and then drive to DTD. The drive from the Contemporary to DTD is about 15 minutes depending on traffic and time of year. At Xmas it takes a lot longer to get anywhere.

Don't see how this is possible. Disney Transportation uses the same roads so any delays incurred by driving a rental will also be felt when using Disney buses.

There is no such thing as "zipping" around Disney. 1. There are a lot of traffic lights, 2. There is a ton of traffic and 3. if you Zip to fast, you will get zapped by the police. What used to be easy a few years ago has become a total PITA.

I am assuming zipping is in accordance with the speed limits.
And as many times as I have seen traffic sited as a concern on these threads it was ZERO issue to us on our May trip.
It was way way way faster than the buses (especially DTD) with the exception of MK.
Now we always go for rope drop when crowds are low, leave for a rest when everyone else is pouring in , and always leave before closing time when we go back.
Following this pattern traffic was not an issue in the least.

At Christmas? I would stick to the buses as well as Easter and other maximum crowds times as well. Other times of year ours is a pretty good formula to avoid traffic.

I am assuming zipping is in accordance with the speed limits.
And as many times as I have seen traffic sited as a concern on these threads it was ZERO issue to us on our May trip.
It was way way way faster than the buses (especially DTD) with the exception of MK.
Now we always go for rope drop when crowds are low, leave for a rest when everyone else is pouring in , and always leave before closing time when we go back.
Following this pattern traffic was not an issue in the least.

At Christmas? I would stick to the buses as well as Easter and other maximum crowds times as well. Other times of year ours is a pretty good formula to avoid traffic.

May is a slow time of year. I doubt you would be doing much "zipping" right now. The place is packed, very scary.

Realistically, you're looking at 15 to 25 minutes from MK to your car. Then about 15 minutes to the downtown Disney parking lot. 10 to 20 minutes to park and walk to the restaurant. Afterwards it will be a 5 or 10 minute walk to the car and a 10 minute drive to POR.

I would take the bus to MK in the morning (which will probably be faster than driving) then walk to CR and take the bus to DTD. From there you can take the boat to POR.

Realistically, you're looking at 15 to 25 minutes from MK to your car. Then about 15 minutes to the downtown Disney parking lot. 10 to 20 minutes to park and walk to the restaurant. Afterwards it will be a 5 or 10 minute walk to the car and a 10 minute drive to POR.

I would take the bus to MK in the morning (which will probably be faster than driving) then walk to CR and take the bus to DTD. From there you can take the boat to POR.

Your times are excellent, but, you forgot the time it will take them to find a space at DTD and be seated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter