Yucky preferred view at BWV, what would you do?

I guess I am just the opposite. If I paid more points for a preferred view and I ended up looking at a tree I would not be exactly thrilled.

Would I lose sleep over it? No. Would I just let it go? No. I would say something very politely so maybe just maybe it didn't happen to someone else.

Now.. I also wouldn't make a huge issue out of it. Life is to short and our time at Disney way to precious.

Think about it this way.. if you paid for a steak and was handed a hamburger.. would you say something? ;)

The truth is that "preferred view" at BVW means the same thing as a "deluxe room" at most hotels, i.e. nothing special. Presumably the really bad views are "standard view" but that doesn't promise anything about the others.

MOST of the rooms are "preferred view"; the number of standard view rooms is limited. You haven't paid "extra points"; rather you did not have (or did not take) the limited opportunity to pay less points.

Originally posted by DVC Jen
Would I just let it go? No. I would say something very politely so maybe just maybe it didn't happen to someone else.

It's my understanding that DVC can't haphazardly reclassify rooms. The room in question is included with the block that are designated as "Preferred View", regardless of what one might actually see out the window.

What sort of rememdy would you expect from the resort in this sort of a situation?

If the view is important to you and worth the $40 and re-packing hassle to change the room to a better view, then do it. Different things make different people happy. I have never inspected the room for chips in the paint or signs of wear and tear, yet I see people do and they take the time to mention it so its important to them. If the room looks in good shape and relatively clean, I'm happy. But, I, like you, look forward to sitting on my balcony with a view that I consider a good view. Some people don't care about the view. Thank goodness the same things are not important to all of us or we'd all be clammoring for the same room. Do what will make your time there most enjoyable and don't feel guilty about it...just be nice about it.

Boy reading this I know why BCV does not have this view option. All rooms are the same points.

I understood standard view to the be parking lot or street so it sounds to me like Disney held up thier end of the deal.

So, with all the "complaints" about the preferred views at BWV...I wonder if owners there would prefer that there be no "view classifications" at all, and that the point charts be re-done to eliminate all those classifications, including the "boardwalk view"?

Honestly, at OKW there are few views I would consider bad (most notably Bldgs 28 & 29), but I'm very happy we don't have a "preferred view/standard view/wooded view/golf view/water view point chart. As long as the room is clean and well kept, I'm happy...I enjoy spending time on the balconies with morning coffee...and occasionally getting a "less than perfect view" isn't something that ruins my vacation.

Personally I think view "classification" was a big mistake on DVC's part.

People keep saying 'complain'

You don't have to complain - you can certainly mention it and express your disappointment. If it were me I would very nicely ask to speak to the hotel manager at his/her convenience. Inform them (again calmly and politely) of the situation - including offering to see the view you speak of. It can't hurt. I don't think there will be a red flag next to your name in the system as a complainer or anything.... ;)

Just be nice, simply express your concerns and see what happens. If they offer a free dinner then it was worth it - it was something - some effort to keep a valued guest happy.

If the response is a polite apology - hey at least someone knows of the situation and if 9 more people make the same complaint then maybe that room becomes a standard view someday...???

If the response from DISNEY is rude or non-apologetic now you have a bigger issue and can pursue that if you see necessary at a higher level.

But the bottom line for my 2 cents is that you should say something if you aren't happy - I think (and hope) that's what Disney would what you to do so they have a chance to make sure you are satisfied.

Enjoy the rest of your trip :)
I'm jealous!

I know how you feel. We had a terrible view on our last trip of the inside of an awning. This was preferred view. We paid the change fee and moved. it was worth it. I know you spent 40 more points but in all reality the standard view is even harder to get. So you prob didn't have much choice.

Talking to the manager will not necessarily get you a free move. (unless you have not slept in the room yet) We had construction noise and the first floor ashtray/smoking area below our 2nd story patio and that didn't merit a free move.

Good Luck in making your decision. If you are not happy, go talk to the front desk.
:D

Someone is going to be in that room, it's just your turn. Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the little things.

So, with all the "complaints" about the preferred views at BWV...I wonder if owners there would prefer that there be no "view classifications" at all, and that the point charts be re-done to eliminate all those classifications, including the "boardwalk view"?

Not me. We are awaiting our closing docs for BWV. We picked that location over BCV specifically because of the standard and BW view categories.

If the response from DISNEY is rude or non-apologetic now you have a bigger issue and can pursue that if you see necessary at a higher level.

What is Disney apologizing for? If I were the BWV manager I'd say "Yes, sir, preferred views face Luna Park, the quiet pool, the garden or the canal. You are facing Luna Park, aren't you?"

But you wouldn't get an apology from me, other than "I'm sorry you aren't happy."

You are still paying the same number of points you'd pay for the woods at WL - where all you see is trees. Or the road at BCVs. It isn't like there is a premium number of points charged for lousy views at the BW, there is just a discount on certain rooms.

As to the reallocate points question - I think the two tier points structure makes sense - but I'd tier it the other direction - make the Boardwalk views more expensive, everything else the same. There are views that few people disagree are much better at the BW. But it isn't a view of Luna Park being vastly superior to the portacullis.

Sounds like the view we once had. At the time you could book preferred but with a requested view. Personally, we prefer the standard view rooms. I would stay with it, chalk it up to experience...and if you're really disappointed, I can fly down tomorrow and stay in the room instead ;)
Have a great time...I'm jealous.
Cora

I think I know exactly what room you are in! A couple of years ago our friends were assigned that room - she said no way - and 2 rooms later she found and acceptable preferred room!

The resort was not full and they were more then willing to accomodate her.

My room was fine - but I didn't have a tree in the way or a balcony way up high! I just had a gecko in mine!

I can't tell you what you SHOULD do, but I can tell you what I would do.

I would stew at first. I would notice the other rooms with better views. I would look out the balcony every once in a while. I would count the extra points used.

I would realize that we didn't want to change rooms. So I wouldn't ask. I would wonder whether I should say anything. I would try to convince my self to forget it. I would finally decide to speak with a manager. Then I would realize the manager has nothing to say about which rooms are considered standard or preferred. I would write myself a note to notify DVC when I get home.

I would put the note on my desk at home and leave it there for a month and then throw it away.

Then I would start to plan my next trip home.

:earsboy:

I know you have probably already made your decision, but my input would be to request another room. You should have been informed of the obstructed view at check in. Last year we spent more time on the balcony/patio at BWV than we did inside the room.

I hope all works out for you. Let us know what your decision was.

This is why owners at THAT resort should get room assignment preferences, this type of room should go to an exchanger or owner at another resort. I've made the point before, but here goes. In general, views in the timeshare world are based on location and not actual view of the room. I know of ocean front units that see nothing but dunes and/or vegetation. DVC's mistake was in the naming of the units. Had they named them deluxe rather than preferred, it would not have set up an unreasonable expectation in those not familiar with the history of the view classifications at BWV.

Whenever we stay at the Boardwalk we try to get a standard view. We too have been disappointed with the preferred view in some of the rooms. This way with the standard view we aren't expecting a great view and we've used less points!!

I think DVC should just rename the views as follows:

standard view should be "front entrance view."

preferred view should be "standard view"

boardwalk view should stay the same.

In an attempt to not make the "standard view" rooms sound substandard, they came up with the current classifications. In reality, there is nothing guaranteed to be "preferred" about preferred view rooms. To the OP, you didn't pay 40 points more... you paid exactly the same number of points as the equivalent room would have cost at either VWL or BCV... I try not to think of the "standard view" rooms at BWV as the baseline but rather as the "discounted" rooms. Owners at BWV have first crack at the "discounted" rooms.

I think the OP should have just requested the tree be cut down (or done it themselves). ;)

Originally posted by Lisa F
I think DVC should just rename the views as follows:

standard view should be "front entrance view."

preferred view should be "standard view"

boardwalk view should stay the same.

In an attempt to not make the "standard view" rooms sound substandard, they came up with the current classifications. In reality, there is nothing guaranteed to be "preferred" about preferred view rooms. To the OP, you didn't pay 40 points more... you paid exactly the same number of points as the equivalent room would have cost at either VWL or BCV... I try not to think of the "standard view" rooms at BWV as the baseline but rather as the "discounted" rooms. Owners at BWV have first crack at the "discounted" rooms.
ITA!

I think the OP should have just requested the tree be cut down ......... ;)
Well, a similar stategy did apparently work over at OKW. IIRC, that guest was also upset at having the view blocked by a tree of some kind and requested a "trim" . The offending vegetations ended up pretty much hacked to the roots! :laughing:

Seems to me that those who don't like trees need to book at OKW - maintenance over there is apparently more accomodating! :p :p :p ;) ;) :laughing:

Originally posted by KennySC
. . . The worst view at Disney is a million times better than the best view at work!! . . .

1) Let's not go overboard, here.
2) A milion-to-one is a huge relationship.
3) Reasonableness should resound in our answers.
4) The calculated percentages I think are only 683,247-to-1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter