You're going back and doing what Updated 10/3 10K

Let me tell you a little bit about my outdoor running area. I walk out my door and start going around a half mile loop. There is one way into the neighborhood, a half mile loop, and then you go right back out the same way you came in. It's like going to a long track with small hills. It is nice to be able to step out the door and have a safe area to be running, but the prospect of lapping the same area 20 times to make up a 10 mile run sounds boring, pretty much an outdoor treadmill. I have a feeling this is why I prefer my indoor treadmill. At least I can watch TV while going nowhere fast (not to mention climate control).

I could definitely see how that would get boring! Can you drive to a different location to run? I have a nice "lake" to run around for my longer runs. I still have to go around it twice to get 4 miles and more for longer runs, but it's a great spot. I also have a state park with trails to run through when I get tired of the lake.

Hope your treadmill gets fixed fast!

I could definitely see how that would get boring! Can you drive to a different location to run? I have a nice "lake" to run around for my longer runs. I still have to go around it twice to get 4 miles and more for longer runs, but it's a great spot. I also have a state park with trails to run through when I get tired of the lake.

Hope your treadmill gets fixed fast!

If I schedule a long run outside, I could possibly try a different location. That would be a first for me though. I would have to go when my DH was home with the kids though. As I homeschool, I don't have a lot of kid free time during the week so it is the neighborhood circle or nothing.

If I schedule a long run outside, I could possibly try a different location. That would be a first for me though. I would have to go when my DH was home with the kids though. As I homeschool, I don't have a lot of kid free time during the week so it is the neighborhood circle or nothing.

I didn't know you homeschool! I do too. :) My husband was deployed until the end of July so I had to do all of my running on the treadmill until then. Now I'm able to get outside on the weekends for my long run. I still do my two shorter runs during the week on my treadmill.

I didn't know you homeschool! I do too. :) My husband was deployed until the end of July so I had to do all of my running on the treadmill until then. Now I'm able to get outside on the weekends for my long run. I still do my two shorter runs during the week on my treadmill.

How cool! What ages do you have?

My DH got home yesterday and tried the more advanced troubleshooting suggestions to no avail. He made the call to the warranty people. They had him hit this button and that button and all it did was beep at him. Since it would not even go into the calibration mode, they determined it must be a malfunctioning console. Luckily it is under warranty and we have the extended warranty, because a new console would be around $800, and we only paid $597 for the machine (deep clearance). The nice lady said the treadmill's new brain should be here sometime next week.

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter than it was yesterday. I may just have to take a field trip back to the Y to get in my run. My kids will be thrilled as they continue to beg for a trip to the "fun Y".
I hope your treadmill's brain comes soon and your DH has the time to fix it.
I give you both a lot of credit for running on the treadmill. I don't have good runs on my treadmill, but I might try Jenn's idea of the instant netflix on the iphone while running on the treadmill, just need to find the good headphones.

I was planning on going for my run at around 10:15 this morning, but didn't get started till about 10:45. Dh asked me if I could drop a letter in the mailbox on my run. I started runkeeper, but it had a GPS issue so I closed it and opened up the weather channel app. I saw it was 83 but felt like 88. I don't remember if i opened up a map or just hit current location on the weather app. I opened runkeeper and started on my run. I walked briskly to the mailbox. My mailbox is at the end of the street, I had some trouble getting the letter in the outgoing slot. Since I didn't pause runkeeper before I put the letter in, I restarted it and started my run.

As I was running I could not believe how strong the sun was. I decided to switch up my running path to try and find some shade. I ran outside my development to an apartment complex that has a fitness trail. I was hoping the trail would be in the shade. It was shadier than my block but not by much.

When I ran back towards my house I saw a neighbor whose daughter I had heard was going to be one of my girls class. The day before when I told S that M was in her class she said M my best friend. So I wanted to double check with the mom that yep they are in the same class This neighbor lives right next to the mailbox where my run started.

Splits
mi Pace (min/mi) Elevation (ft)

1 13:58 1
2 15:03 0
3 17:52 -3

On my speed chart on runkeeper it looked like I lost the signal a couple of times, so I was mapped my run on mapmyrun.com but I included the whole run from when I walked out my front door till I got back to my house. Accordig to that i did 2.45 miles. Can I just round up and say I did 2.5 miles?
According to runkeeper I did 2.27 miles in 34 mintues.

10, 8, and 6 and all boys. :)

That is pretty cool we are schooling very similar ages. 3 out of my 4 are boys, with the 10yo being my only princess.

Lisa, it sounds like you had a decent run. You need to start going to find the shady areas when you can't get out early enough to avoid the heat.

I didn't run yesterday, I won't be running today, hopefully I will be able to run tomorrow or Sunday. I woke up yesterday with unmistakable UTI symptoms, so instead of errand running and running running, I went to the doctor. I feel a lot better today, but I don't want to push myself too much.

I am off medical suspension. I no longer feel like I've been run over by a bus. :woohoo: I was supposed to do my long run yesterday, but figured since all my kids were going to be gone today, I would skip it and do it today. The morning temps were supposed to be about the same, but today was getting warmer than yesterday. I also realized after I should have been running yesterday that my littlest boy was too sick to spend the night with his grandma, so he was going to have to be home anyways. DH was off, so it was no big deal, but just not what I had been planning.

Since I skipped running yesterday, I spent a good hunk of time trying to figure out a path that wouldn't include going in endless circles. I looked on MapMyRun and RunKeeper for routes others had used, and didn't really find anything of interest. So I started fiddling with the map around my house and ended up mapping something that was 2.5ish miles long. Not bad. I could do the loop 3 times and just finish with 3 laps of my neighborhood.

This sounded and looked great on the computer. Reality was not as great though. I started off running out of my neighborhood thinking "where did this downhill come from?" It was a minor hill. I turn up my first new street and see it goes uphill for as far as I could see. It wasn't super steep, but it was a good sized hill. I made it about half way up before I walked to the top. It did flatten out right about the dead end. I figured I would make up time by running down the hill. Let me tell you, running down a hill is almost as hard as running up it. I had to do a weird stride to keep from falling forward.

I survived that first new street and looped around to the next one. This was me. :eek: Straight downhill much steeper than the first hill. I figured I would worry about coming back up that hill on the way back out of the neighborhood. Halfway down the hill I got my first encounter with a loose dog. It was a big puppy that just wanted to say hi. He was a big dog though so I had to come to a complete stop and make sure I didn't excite him. Luckily his owner was right there and able to call him away from me. So off I went again. As soon as I hit the bottom of the hill I knew I was in big trouble. It only flattened out for maybe 100 yards before it climbed upwards again. I climbed back out of that small valley very slowly. It leveled out at the top again for a very short distance before it start a slight but obvious decline. I knew I was going to have fun getting out of this neighborhood. I finally made it to the end of the street (it also dead ended), and headed back. I met my second loose dog. His owner was no where to be seen. He stopped when I told him to and looked at me weird when I told him to go home. He didn't even come sniff me, but I had to slowly walk out of his line of sight. As I was getting ready to head up the last hill out of this neighborhood the big puppy came bounding back at me. I had to remind him we had already met. The man of the house opened the door to make sure I was okay. I was just glad the other two dogs in the yard across from him were more interested in playing than me. I had to walk out of the neighborhood. Then I went back into my neighborhood (this was part of my loop I was doing).

I happily spent the next hour doing my safe little half mile loop.

I was supposed to run 9, but it got hot and I stopped at 6.75 and then walked a half mile cool down lap with my 4 yo and DH. I cannot wait for my treadmill's new brain to arrive on Wednesday.

I have been a bad updater. It is past our ADR time, but due to not knowing when we are getting there, when Jenn is getting there and even if my girls are going to go or stay with MIL. We have only left the girls overnight once. That is not totally accurate, since the girls have had lots of sleepovers at MIL's but we are usually home not doing anything exciting. But I know that DH and I will be gone for 2 weeks doing training in October so not even sure if MIL would be up to watching the girls again.
I have 4 workout to catch you all up on as well as tell you about my girl.
First run is my long run from last Sunday
4.6 mi 01:11 15:28 pace

I'm not a fan of doing loops. Not sure why but the idea of running around the lake again and again doesn't do it for me. I did 3 laps around plus a little bit running under the parkway along a creek.
Splits

1 14:19 -3
2 14:27 0
3 15:47 5
4 16:23 5
5 16:41 -11

Part of the reason I didn't do a fourth lap was I figured the girl's would want to walk around the lake once. They were flying a kite, riding bikes and playing in the playground with DH while I was running. We did start to go around the lake but Sydney was "too tired" to walk or ride her bike. we did .4 miles. You don't want to know the time. So I did get my 5 miles in :)

Tuesday the girls started Kindergarten. They are in separate classes for the first time. The first day each K class is assigned a color so it is easy to see which students belong in which class. Sydney was blue, Dani was red.
P1130440.jpg

Sydney actually posing
P1130444.jpg

Feet
P1130445.jpg

Getting off the bus at the end of the day
P1130466.jpg

P1130467.jpg

The bus was late bring them home. I'm hoping it get earlier or I'm going to have to pick the up for some of their after school activities.

After the girls got on the bus, it was time for my run. I decided to try out imapmyrun instead of runkeeper.
2.53 mi 00:34 13:30 pace (13:25min/m Avg Pace according to mapmyrun).
I'm not sure about mapmyrun. I like that it has interval prompts. This run I had it tell me every 2 minutes a slew of info. Like pace (average and current), speed (average and current), distance and time. I find mapmyrun's website much harder to navigate then runkeepers. Also I miss seeing my splits. I'm working on keeping my pace even throughout the run. Easy to see if I'm slowing down or going faster in the end miles if I can see my splits.

My next run this week was a treadmill run. I took a page out of Jenn's book. I did my run while watching bones on the netflix's app. I did one of the 40 minute treadmill programs.
b868a8e3.jpg

I did the 4.5mph at 10% grade 2.47 mi 00:40 . During my first part of my run, DH was in the weight room(unfinished part of our basement) while I was on the treadmil (finished part of the basement). Then he came in to use the bike, which meant he turned on the tv so i had to listen over his even though I had headphones in. I was surprised DH was able to watch ROKU -which is the netflix instant streaming device since we have the one dvd at a time plan.
It was hot in my basement, i did most of my run in just my sports bra. I do have a weird issue when I run on the treadmill, I get very itchy. No clue what is up with that.

I threw myself all off my normal running schedule last week by doing my LR on a Monday. In theory I should have been running on Wednesday, but as my treadmill's new brain hadn't arrived yet, I had no where to run. It's hot here again. Wednesday night we were sitting at the dining room table eating our dinner when the wonderful UPS guy showed up with the new computer for the treadmill. The lady on the phone told DH there were 4 screws that had to be removed to change it out. Sounds easy right? Yeah, 12 screws later, DH got to the point he could to the switch. After he sent it through a calibration mode, it worked! So I was all set for my run the next day.

Thursday's run was unexciting, hence the no updating. I did 5 miles on the treadmill in an hour and four minutes giving me a 12:51 pace. I watched the beginning of The Princess Diaries. I love that movie.

Then came the weekend. 9 miles on the schedule again since I failed the distance last weekend. I knew I wasn't going to get my run in on Saturday as DD had her second gymnastics meet of the season in the middle of the afternoon. So Sunday it was.

Well scratch that, it wasn't. Sunday morning is always filled with those errands I just can't seem to get to during the week. In this case I knew we had to do a Costco, PetSmart, Academy Sports run and left enough time to be home for lunch. Well DH failed to mention we needed to stop by FIL's house. That took up a good solid 45 minutes of my perfectly timed schedule. Lunch was at Costco. This meant spicy wings from the meat department and a diet Coke. Not the food one should eat before attempting a 9 mile run. I knew it when I was eating it. My stomach confirmed it on the way home. There was no way I was running anywhere other than my couch. That's just what I did the rest of the day. Of course Sunday night came along and I felt worse for not even attempting my run.

No long run this past weekend, so time to get back on schedule. Today I couldn't wait until my run. My kids were all driving me insane. The idea of turning on the TV (a treat reserved for my running days and after dinner) and putting my bickering boys in front of it while I zoned on the TM was wonderful. I ate what I thought sounded like a good meal of leftover pasta. It wasn't until I was burping up the garlicky sauce two hours later that I second guessed myself. I really need to remember to stick to bland foods before my runs. Even still, I pushed through and finished another 5 miles in 1 hour 5 minutes and some seconds, giving me a 13:01 average. A little slow for me, but I will take it. I started out with 5/1 intervals, but had to switch to 5/2 intervals at the 40 minute mark. I just couldn't keep up with myself. Hopefully my imaginary run on Thursday goes better. I seriously have no clue when I am going to slip that one in.

Now about the toenail. If you have a queasy stomach, no might be the time to stop reading. Do you remember a few weeks ago when my wonderful toenail got a big blister under it? Well I knew then that I was going to lose the toenail. It's a common issue among runners so I'm not all too concerned about it. I've been waiting for the day it happened, but it hasn't come. As a matter of fact the nail felt secure to the nail bed and the white part was still growing, so I had finally decided maybe I wasn't going to actually lose the nail. But the white part was getting a little longer than I like (not to mention long nails can cause the blister issue in the first place), so I sat down and trimmed it up before my run today. Apparently the only thing that was keeping my nail "secure" on the nail bed, was the fact that the white part had grown into the skin of the old blister. :eek: Don't say I didn't warn you. Now my toenail is wiggling around like a loose tooth. I can completely move the toenail up off the bed. Now I just have to wait for it to release from the cuticle. Oh the joys.

Hopefully I will squeak in another run sometime this week. DD's piano lesson is during my running time on Thursday, so I might have to figure out how to do a morning run again. This weekend my DH is making me go camping. :scared1: I'm talking the tent type. I am going to take a look at the lay of the land to see if there is anywhere I can safely run my LR this weekend. I cannot go another weekend without getting a LR in. I need to do at least 7-9 miles in.

Jenn sorry about your toe.
Saturday DH was going stir crazy in the house and I had $5 off any C9 product at target. My girls didn't want to go out again, so I sent DH off to get me running socks and capri pants. The only other thing I told him to avoid cotton. I figured I can't go running in shorts for much longer. DH got me some sock that wound up costing one dollar and a pair of "knee Pants". I think these might be them.
41xuNS44ImL_AA260_.jpg

I just need to make sure i have the waist tied tight other wise the pants feel like they are coming down, but if i get the waist tied right no problem at all.

Sunday was the first test of the new pants. DH and the girls were going to go with me but they were not moving. I realized it was getting late and DH was leaving at noon to go watch the Giants game. I told them all I was leaving and off I went. But first did I mention it was cold? Well about 2 weeks ago I mentioned to DH that I thought both of my right tires were low. I have a tire pressure information in my car, so I checked the tires and saw that the right side was lower than the left. But not enough for to put air in but enough to tell DH about it.
Well it was cold. Do you know what cold air does to tire pressure? Well I start the car and my low tire pressure indicator comes on. Both right tires are 27 or 28 instead of the 33 or 35 they are supposed to be. So before my run I had to stop and put air in the tire (any one know how to take air out of the tire, i think I put a little too much in).
I finally make it to the park. I had set up imapmyrun to speak at 4 minute intervals. I also had it telling me the average pace, the current pace, the current mileage.
I just want to tell every one not to read a book(the Search by Nora Roberts) about a Serial killer who abducts women running on empty trails and then go an run on an empty trail.
Lap #1
Total Distance 1.02 mi. Time Taken: 00:12:54
Pace: 28:58 (min) 12:45 (avg) 05:25 (max)
Speed: 2.07 (mi/hr) (min) 4.7 (mi/hr) (avg) 11.05 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #2
Total Distance 1.02 mi. Time Taken: 00:12:07
Pace: 20:00 (min) 12:24 (avg) 05:09 (max)
Speed: 3 (mi/hr) (min) 4.84 (mi/hr) (avg) 11.63 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #3
Total Distance 1.05 mi. Time Taken: 00:14:03
Pace: 25:49 (min) 14:04 (avg) 08:01 (max)
Speed: 2.32 (mi/hr) (min) 4.26 (mi/hr) (avg) 7.48 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #4
Total Distance 1.01 mi. Time Taken: 00:13:15
Pace: 32:18 (min) 13:57 (avg) 07:15 (max)
Speed: 1.86 (mi/hr) (min) 4.3 (mi/hr) (avg) 8.27 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #5
Total Distance 1.14 mi. Time Taken: 00:16:31
Pace: 23:57 (min) 15:13 (avg) 05:50 (max)
Speed: 2.5 (mi/hr) (min) 3.94 (mi/hr) (avg) 10.26 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #6
Total Distance 0.08 mi. Time Taken: 00:00:28
Pace: 20:36 (min) 16:14 (avg) 14:58 (max)
Speed: 2.91 (mi/hr) (min) 3.69 (mi/hr) (avg) 4 (mi/hr) (max)

Total mileage was 5.42 mi Total time was 01:15 13:55 pace.

Sounds like you had a great run on Sunday. Your training is coming along great. I need someone to come light a fire under my hiney again. I only got one run in this week. I decided against bringing my run gear camping. I knew I would chicken out actually gearing up in the heat and strange surroundings. I will definitely not be reading that book as I already suffer from abduction fears. I really need to find a local running partner.

Wow, we've been bad about doing updates. Let's see, I went camping. I survived. I felt really guilty about not taking my running gear because the campground was nice, flat, large, shaded, and cool for most of the morning. Not to mention there was that running lady and large group of running boys to add on the extra guilt. Oh well, can't take back a run that didn't happen. So that was 2 weekends in a row with no LR. :rolleyes1

This past week I was able to get back on the bandwagon and ran both Tuesday and Thursday. I figure since my running has been so random recently, I should scale back my distances again and rebuild. I did 4 miles on each of those days averaging upper 12/lower 13 MM. Nothing spectacular about those runs, other than they actually got done.

Yesterday I finally got in another long run. I set my goal to be between 5 and 7 miles. I stopped at 6. I finished up watching Pretty Woman and started The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I figure that one will be good for a few runs. I did nearly take myself off the treadmill when I jumped at a scene in the movie that startled me. :scared1: Luckily I was able to recover and stay on.

Tomorrow and Thursday I will go for 4.5, and 7 this weekend. It is supposed to be cool enough this week that I might be able to actually do the 7 outside. Happily running around my lovely circle of course. ;)

I have been an awful updater. Kind of like my lack of long run to make me forget i should be updating here.
Tuesday 9/14 I had a new parent's tea pta meeting at my girls school, so I knew if i was going to run it really should be early in the moring
Start: 06:46:03
End: 07:17:44
Notice that it says 6:46. Well my girls woke me up that morning and I put them on the couch in front of the tv and went off on my run. I did 2.08 miles in 32 mintues 15:13 pace

Not used to running when it is cool. It was 55ish when I started out.
Lap Summary
Lap #1
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:13:03
Pace: 31:05 (min) 13:27 (avg) 07:02 (max)
Speed: 1.93 (mi/hr) (min) 4.46 (mi/hr) (avg) 8.52 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #2
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:15:50
Pace: 45:35 (min) 16:19 (avg) 07:43 (max)
Speed: 1.32 (mi/hr) (min) 3.67 (mi/hr) (avg) 7.77 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap #3
Total Distance 0.06 mi.
Time Taken: 00:00:30
Pace: 17:15 (min) 17:15 (avg) 17:15 (max)
Speed: 3.48 (mi/hr) (min) 3.48 (mi/hr) (avg) 3.48 (mi/hr) (max)

I don't remember Thursday's run. Here is what I posted on Daily mile
2.11 mi 00:27 13:01 pace

Lap #1
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:12:19
Pace: 24:11 (min) 12:57 (avg) 06:23 (max)
Speed: 2.48 (mi/hr) (min) 4.63 (mi/hr) (avg) 9.39 (mi/hr) (max)
Actions: View Data Chart
Lap #2
Total Distance 1.01 mi.
Time Taken: 00:13:20
Pace: 25:50 (min) 13:23 (avg) 06:27 (max)
Speed: 2.32 (mi/hr) (min) 4.48 (mi/hr) (avg) 9.3 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #3
Total Distance 0.08 mi.
Time Taken: 00:00:42
Pace: 19:01 (min) 17:21 (avg) 16:55 (max)
Speed: 3.15 (mi/hr) (min) 3.46 (mi/hr) (avg) 3.55 (mi/hr) (max)
I just checked mapmyrun.com and i did this run in the afternoon. In the morning I had a PTA meeting. This was my week of going up to the girls school 3 times for PTA meetings. Once for new parents, once for PTA and once for class mom.
Sunday the girls started soccer and I wasn't feeling great so I skipped my run.
Monday I decided to run, before I started I had to drop something off at the mailbox and a neighbor saw me running. I will call her R. She is more of a walker than a runner. We started to run together. Took way more walk breaks that I would have liked.
Here is what I posted on Daily mile
2.93 mi 00:52 17:35 pace

As I was doing my warm up walk, I saw a neighbor starting her walk. We went together. We ran the whole first block. Walked to the second. Ran the second. Repeated for a bit. Then I ran one block and met her at the end. We walked the rest of the way.
We both have a problem of wanting to run faster than we should. Next time we go together I'm going to try and get her to run 3 minutes and walk a minute. Of course that means I'm going to have to plan to walk/run with her instead of just a chance meeting. I was about 45 minutes later than I like to run.

I also had an issue with imapmyrun not wanting to record the details of the run.

Tuesday I decided to go for a run since Monday's run was more of a walk/ run than a run/walk. I had a great 20 mintue run before R sent me a text asking me if I was going to run. I has to close the text so imapmyrun keep on recording. I ran back to her house to get her. I was almost at 2 miles in like 23 mintues.
Here is what I wrote on daily mile

Great run for the first part. Then I got a text from Renee asking me if i started my run. So I ran to her house to get her . I was at 1.93 miles at this points. We ran the next block but didn't run as much as we should have or run at all the last part of the run.

Lap #1
Total Distance 1.01 mi.
Time Taken: 00:11:52
Pace: 23:09 (min) 12:21 (avg) 06:50 (max)
Speed: 2.59 (mi/hr) (min) 4.85 (mi/hr) (avg) 8.77 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #2
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:13:51
Pace: 49:52 (min) 14:12 (avg) 06:57 (max)
Speed: 1.2 (mi/hr) (min) 4.22 (mi/hr) (avg) 8.62 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #3
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:15:12
Pace: 28:14 (min) 15:43 (avg) 06:29 (max)
Speed: 2.12 (mi/hr) (min) 3.81 (mi/hr) (avg) 9.25 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #4
Total Distance 0.81 mi.
Time Taken: 00:13:33
Pace: 24:26 (min) 17:31 (avg) 11:36 (max)
Speed: 2.45 (mi/hr) (min) 3.42 (mi/hr) (avg) 5.17 (mi/hr) (max)
Thursday I had plans to run with R again. We were meeting at 10. I had planned to do the same thing that I did on Tuesday but I didn't get moving before it was time to meet R.
3.5 mi 01:02 17:40 pace

Ran/walked with R. I pushed her to run more than she would have, but need to make sure I push myself more.
Workout Stats
Pace: 42:40 (min) 16:38 (avg) 05:50 (max)
Speed: 1.41 (mi/hr) (min) 3.61 (mi/hr) (avg) 10.26 (mi/hr) (max)

Lap Summary
Lap #1
Total Distance 1.02 mi.
Time Taken: 00:14:22
Pace: 42:40 (min) 14:13 (avg) 05:50 (max)
Speed: 1.41 (mi/hr) (min) 4.22 (mi/hr) (avg) 10.26 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #2
Total Distance 1.05 mi.
Time Taken: 00:16:02
Pace: 27:10 (min) 15:36 (avg) 07:32 (max)
Speed: 2.21 (mi/hr) (min) 3.84 (mi/hr) (avg) 7.95 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #3
Total Distance 1.01 mi.
Time Taken: 00:18:41
Pace: 33:48 (min) 18:51 (avg) 07:58 (max)
Speed: 1.77 (mi/hr) (min) 3.18 (mi/hr) (avg) 7.52 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #4
Total Distance 0.38 mi.
Time Taken: 00:07:08
Pace: 29:43 (min) 20:23 (avg) 15:13 (max)
Speed: 2.02 (mi/hr) (min) 2.94 (mi/hr) (avg) 3.94 (mi/hr) (max)

I like running with someone but I need to make sure I push myself more. Saturday i'm doing my first 10K. BIL and SIL(same ones from the beach story) are going to do the half marathon at the same place and time. So far my furthest run has been almosst 5 1/2 miles. Adding a 1/2 mile can't be that bad right?

You will do great at the 6 mile distance! I mean most training programs stop at 10 miles for a 13 mile run, so 5.5 for a 6.2 run should be fine.

Tuesday I had plans to run with my neighbor again. It was supposed to rain, but when it wasn't raining when I put the girls on the bus, I decided we should go soon instead of in an hour. I called R. Told her I was going for a run and I would get her in 20 minutes. I left my water bottle on my front steps think I could use a water stop about 1/2 way through. I headed back to get R (she lives on the cul-da-sac on my block) to see her walking to the mailbox at the end of our block. Perfect timing except we did the next block instead of going back on our block so no water break for me.
Any ideas on how I can push myself to run when I go with Renee? We run then take the walk breaks. Neither one of us wants to be the one to say run again. I need to be able to say okay we walked for one minute now run but i get the mental block that likes to walk.

Lap Summary
Lap #1
Total Distance 1.00 mi.
Time Taken: 00:13:05
Pace: 33:38 (min) 13:09 (avg) 06:01 (max)
Speed: 1.78 (mi/hr) (min) 4.56 (mi/hr) (avg) 9.97 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #2
Total Distance 1.09 mi.
Time Taken: 00:16:00
Pace: 37:55 (min) 15:11 (avg) 06:19 (max)
Speed: 1.58 (mi/hr) (min) 3.95 (mi/hr) (avg) 9.48 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #3
Total Distance 1.01 mi.
Time Taken: 00:17:24
Pace: 50:04 (min) 17:41 (avg) 07:46 (max)
Speed: 1.2 (mi/hr) (min) 3.39 (mi/hr) (avg) 7.72 (mi/hr) (max)
Lap #4
Total Distance 0.65 mi.
Time Taken: 00:11:30
Pace: 25:42 (min) 18:14 (avg) 14:10 (max)
Speed: 2.33 (mi/hr) (min) 3.29 (mi/hr) (avg) 4.23 (mi/hr) (max)

Wednesday i was sick. I took a nap while my girls were in school, and I was pretty close to seeing if R could take the girls to gymnastics but i figured it would just be too confusing and I would still have to get them since one of R's dd's in in an hour and half class and my girls are in the hour class with R's other dd. I was asleep in bed before ten that night.

Thursday I still felt sick but figured I should try and get my run in. I don't remember if it was raining or just supposed to rain, so I decided to do the treadmill. I was running okay on it, but felt crappy so I only did 20 minutes.
1.35 mi 00:20 14:51 pace
I had to pause the treadmill soon after I started to find a hairclip, but I didn't have one. I have to put one in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom downstairs. I wound up french braiding my hair while running.
I was so exhausted. I was glad that BIL and future SIL was coming to do the race with me well they were doing the half while I was doing the 10K.

They live in brooklyn and the race was about 20 minutes away from me. They were planning on coming out Friday evening. MIL was going to watch the girls while the 4 of us went out to eat. MIL was thinking of staying over and going to the race with us to watch. Originally when I suggested this race I wanted MIL to do the 5k but she didn't think she could walk fast enough. She started walking in the spring and has been doing an hour every morning. But she had the same bug that DH and I have. It is the weirdest "flu" We have all had a day that we felt awful followed by a day feeling slightly better.
So instead we went out to eat with the girls. BIL and fSIL was supposed to get to us around 7:12. Train didn't get in till 7:20. We went out to eat. Got home after 9. I had to make sure that DH knew were everything was for the girls soccer training in the morning as well as getting my self ready.
We decided to leave the house at 7am till we reread a race brochure we found online. It said to get to the marina before 7:30. So we decided (well BIL and I decided) to leave at 6:45 am instead. I set my alarm for 6:25. I must have rolled over and check the clock a zillion times during the night. I should backtrack a second and mention that after we got home from dinner my nose got all stuffed up again and my head not feeling good. I took a target brand "advil" cold and sinus right before I went to bed. But I was still not feeling 100%.

I had decided since the race was on the water and it was not supposed to get over 60 I would wear my knee length running pants with the purple running sleeveless shirt. I found an old fleece sweatshirt in my drawer that I had not worn in forever, figured it was perfect in case it was too cold and I wanted to wear it for longer and didn't get to put it back in the car.
At 6:50, I told BIL I was glad we moved our time up 15 minutes so now that we were 5 minutes late it was like we were still 10 minutes early. I think fSIL was finally ready and we left at 7. Of course we got there in plenty of time.
fSIL had done a bunch of half marathons before, but BIL had not. This was only his second time doing a race and I think his first one was a corporate challenge that was like a 8k. fSIL was so nervous about little things, that I felt a little bad for BIL since he was stressing out but couldn't show it due to how fSIL was acting.
We got our race packets and went back to the car to pin the bibs on and take pictures. As soon as fSIL sends them to me, I will try to remember to share them. fSIL had ask me if I wanted to use her nano for her running list but I told her I wanted my iphone with me to use my running program. I decided to use runkeeper instead of imapmyrun. I figured I didn't need the voice prompts. The 5K, 10K and half marathon all lined up together. The race organizers kept on making announcements for the slower runner and walkers to head towards the back and the faster runners in the front. I stuck around with BIL and fSIl till about a minute before the race started and I moved back a bit but not too far back. I had my music playing but I didn't have my earbuds in, then as soon as the race started i started runkeeper. I did have some problems with my music in the beginning of the race, either it was too low or it was paused or both but the sound of everyone hitting the pavement at once was a great sound.
I was surprised at the "teardrop" turn, it was just cones in the road that we had to go around but it was in the middle of a huge puddle that there was no way of avoiding. Also about a half mile past that we had to go over a double set of timing mats. Based on the fact that the official time has our 5K time, i'm guessing that had to be at the 5K spot. Here is my official results.
Place Div/Tot No. Name S St 5k 10k Pace
206 18/23 1114 LISA M. F NY 36:47 1:15:11 12:06
Here is what runkeeper said:6.26 mi 01:15 12:03 pace
Splits

1 10:42 7
2 11:58 4
3 12:24 -13
4 12:19 13
5 12:02 2
6 12:33 -22
7 12:19 3

Now I have to come up with my half marathon training plan as well as a trip plan.

Although I haven't been very consistent on posting about it, I have been consistently running on schedule.

Tuesday's run I did 4.5 miles. I need to build back up to doing 5 mile runs on my training days.

Thursday's run was distracted. My FIL was here and kept coming in and out of the house. Even though he didn't need anything of me, I kept having too look around. It feels weird running with other people in the house. As I haven't been happy with my speed recently, I decided to only run a 5K. I finished with a 12:25 pace, so I felt better about myself.

My MIL volunteered to take my kids overnight on Saturday. I tried to discourage this because the 3 boys had been violently ill with a stomach bug on Thursday night, but she insisted. That meant I wouldn't have to worry about my kids for the LR on Sunday. I had planned on getting up at 630 so I could eat and be out the door by 730. BUT, I wasn't getting up before 7am when my kids aren't here. So I set the alarm for 7.

I decided since I hadn't had very good luck with toast and peanut butter for a breakfast before a run, I needed to try something different. I had oatmeal for the first time in 3 years. I used the plain old fashioned oatmeal that I then flavored. I had no intestinal issues, and I didn't feel like I hit a wall. I may have to try this before another morning LR. If it continues to work out for me, it will be easy enough to carry to Disney. :woohoo:

The high for the day was only supposed to get up to 68 and first thing in the morning it was in the mid 50's. It was quite chilly when I finally walked out the door at 815. I resisted the urge to dress too warmly. I wore my compression shorts with my favorite outdoor running shorts and my blue Adidas top. That top is a little more cotton than most of my tops, but I figured with the coolness, I would be okay. I would later come to regret this decision. As I had no kids home, and I was just going our neighborhood loop, I decided to not carry my cell phone. DH decided he should run at the same time, so he would have found me eventually if something happened. It was nice not to have to wear my extra belt, as my iPod fit in the back pocket on my shorts (which is why they are my favorite pair, I wish the brand hadn't changed designs).

I got out my Jelly Bellys and water, and headed out the door. I gave DH a good head start while fiddling with trying to get a good satellite signal on RunKeeper, I eventually gave up. I took off and hoped I didn't catch DH too quickly.

I should mention now that DH isn't really a runner. He only runs very sporadically, and like most beginning runners, can't go very far between walk breaks. I didn't end up catching him until we neared the 3 mile mark, but that might have more to do with the pattern of my run.

I have decided to run two laps one way (aka 1 mile), then two laps the other way. This made it so much easier to keep up with the 14 laps. I only had one part where I panicked and couldn't remember whether I was on lap one or two of that direction. Then I remembered I had passed up the water bottle going in that direction, so I had to be on the second lap. I was only stopping for water at the 1 mile mark.

I started eating my beans at 3 miles. I was storing them at our mailbox with my water bottle. On that first pass I wanted to get back running as fast as I could, so I shoved all three beans in at once. Bad idea. I had to chew extra long because it was a huge mass in my mouth. In subsequent stops I popped them in one at a time and was able to semi chew then swallow them much faster.

After my hands thawed out, I got hot. The sun was out and beating down on me. Only parts of the block had a breeze. Since I was wearing the shirt with more cotton, it wasn't doing a great job drying off and when those breezes hit, it was chilly, but then the breezeless areas hit and I got hot. I hope I don't get sick because of it.

After my run, I came in and looked at my RunKeeper map. As I had feared when I hadn't gotten a good signal, it was all over the place. So I went to MapMyRun and just got my distance that way. As my block is actually .53 miles around, my 14 laps ended up being 7.42 miles, done in 1 hour 34 minutes for a 12:37 pace. Not too shabby for running outside.

So I have had 2 weeks of consistently running when I am supposed to. Guess who doesn't want to run today?!? :rotfl:

Great job on your race, Lisa! Now I just have to find my first race and actually run it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter