your opinion. what should i do?

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I apologize if this is posted on the wrong board.

We are in ROFR on a BWV contract that will, hopefully, be passed in about two to three weeks. The contract has, amazingly, 2009 banked points that must be used by the end of this May. Problem is, we can't travel over spring break so we have to rent them out.

My dilemma is, can I put an "alert" email out there letting people know that I will have points to rent in about a month,, and to give me their contact info so I can get in touch with them as soon as they become active to rent? Or is that silly to do?

It will be such a small window to rent them out that I really wanted to get it out there so people could keep it in mind for their last minute travel plans. Has anyone rented out their points within a month of most spring break times?

Thanks.

I am not sure it would really do you any good, especially since it could be a month before you are able to even reserve something for them.

And, just a reminder that the rules for posting points has changed so be sure that you meet that you are on your way to meeting that criteria.

Good luck and I hope that ROFR goes quickly!

If they have 2009 points then you will get 2010 points and its 2011, you seem to be making out any way you look at it. and as for posting rent/trade ruls change, I think its a bad change, how many people havetime to be on this site and make a couple postings every week...they should have grandfathered in memners over a certain period and allow postings irregardless of number of posts.

I have saw a few places that rent points for you. Maybe you could contact them to see if they could help rent them with short notice?

But a month from now (or even later) what is available today probably won't be available then. Otherwise you will have people wanting to rent a reservation from you and you aren't even a member yet.

... (snip)......and as for posting rent/trade ruls change, I think its a bad change, how many people havetime to be on this site and make a couple postings every week...they should have grandfathered in memners over a certain period and allow postings irregardless of number of posts.

There are others who share your view.

But keep in mind that there are many venues out there for renting points. Some are free to use and some are not.

The DIS believes that those who actively contribute to the DIS Community should be the ones to benefit from it.

But a month from now (or even later) what is available today probably won't be available then. Otherwise you will have people wanting to rent a reservation from you and you aren't even a member yet.

Yes, your point is totally valid. I tend to agree with it, though there is that part of me that wants to put the notion out there. Aren't there some people who aren't yet ready to book a trip, but want to know if there will be points at the resort they want? It may seem silly, even to me, but won't it at least put the "feelers" out there for those who may want the points?

Though there is no 100% guarantee that the ROFR will pass, I believe there is about a 90% shot that it will. Let's hope.

Sorry if I sound dumb. :o)

I can understand your reasoning for wanting to do this but if it were me, I'd probably wait. You never know what could happen that might delay closing and that could cause someone who gets their hopes up to end up really disappointed and/or possibly missing out another opportunity. I think it's just better to wait until you have a product before you advertise it as being for sale/rent. But if you decide to go through with it, you may want to check with the moderators first as there may be a rule that you can only list the points if you own them first.

Good luck with it all. Hope it works out great! :)

Yes, your point is totally valid. I tend to agree with it, though there is that part of me that wants to put the notion out there. Aren't there some people who aren't yet ready to book a trip, but want to know if there will be points at the resort they want? It may seem silly, even to me, but won't it at least put the "feelers" out there for those who may want the points?

Though there is no 100% guarantee that the ROFR will pass, I believe there is about a 90% shot that it will. Let's hope.

Sorry if I sound dumb. :o)

The only thing to remember is that it won't matter that your points are BWV points. When you are within the 7 month mark, points are points so for anyone looking to book a last minute stay, they will be at the mercy of availability.

There would be no real reason, given that your points have a time limit on when they can be used, for a potential renter to hold out and wait for your points.

Remember, it's not book by the end of May, it book and use by the end of May. So like Sandi says, it doesn't matter what resort you own. They are all equal at this point and what is available once you close and actually get into the system is more important.

So no need to find a potential buyer out there until you can actually book.

Hi all. I apologize if this is posted on the wrong board.

We are in ROFR on a BWV contract that will, hopefully, be passed in about two to three weeks. The contract has, amazingly, 2009 banked points that must be used by the end of this May. Problem is, we can't travel over spring break so we have to rent them out.

My dilemma is, can I put an "alert" email out there letting people know that I will have points to rent in about a month,, and to give me their contact info so I can get in touch with them as soon as they become active to rent? Or is that silly to do?

It will be such a small window to rent them out that I really wanted to get it out there so people could keep it in mind for their last minute travel plans. Has anyone rented out their points within a month of most spring break times?

Thanks.
Don't do anything until you're closed except some advanced planning. Once you're closed, you know you're within a few days of being listed in the system. Realistically you're still likely 4-6 weeks from being able to use the points with DVC. Best option is to use them but if you can't use them renting or an RCI deposit are good choices. You should also inquire of DVC for a one time exception on banking them. They also MIGHT let you pay for a cruise with them that happens in the next UY and if you can book a cruise that happens in your 2012 UY, I'm pretty sure you'd have the options to use the points for that anyway under the rules that if the options occurs in a UY you can't actually use, you get the option of using the current or next UY to pay for the reservation.

If you do decide to rent, make a reservation as late in your UY as possible so you know there will be availability.

Here's my choices in order of preference for this situation:
  • Use personally at a DVC resort or exchange option even if only long weekends.
  • Ask for a one time banking exception.
  • Book a future cruise or other cash type exchange option using the 2009 banked points (possibly with other points).
  • Deposit with RCI for a unit that's NOT a late deposit (45 days out). Either 160 pts for a 1 BR deposit or 270 for a 2 BR even if you have to use part of the non distressed points. Hopefully the seller has already banked the 2010 points.
  • Rent out the points (make your best reservation ASAP (late in UY for good option to rent out). You can always cancel it later if you want to.

These were 2009 points that were already banked. They could not be banked a second time.

These were 2009 points that were already banked. They could not be banked a second time.
IF they allow the exception, they could. It's not likely they will allow it but I suspect they will allow some of the other options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter