Your Key to the World card

I was bored so decided to scan all the cards that I've accumulated over the years.

Look at how colorful they are! Wouldn't a RED "What will you celebrate?" or
"Give a Day get a Day" Muppet card be a great addition? ;)

KeystotheWorld.jpg

Oooooooh I like the Muppet Idea!

I noticed one of your cards says Fort Wilderness Resort, so I am wondering how old is that card and was there a time when all the resorts gave out cards which said the name of their resort?

Yes, at one time Disney had 'resort specific' cards. They were much thinner than the cards out today. The Fort Wilderness card was issued in 1990 and we were actually given 2 cards....1) was specifically for 'Transportation' throughout WDW.....back then, you actually had to SHOW your card before they let you onto any bus, boat or monorail....that or your 'ticket'....2) not quite sure why we were given this second card since no info was on it... notice in the picture, everything has XXXXX's on it? Back then these cards didn't have magnetic strips either.....I can guess and say that maybe we used it to get into the EMH nights....back then, resort guests could pay a fee for this perk (approx. $10) and it was well worth it for us and we had the park literally to ourselves....those days are gone now that EMH is free to ALL resort guests!!!

We also have a Dixielandings (now POR) card from 1992 so I believe it was that year or shortly there after that they started using the thicker, credit card like 'generic' cards for all resorts. :sad1:

I can guess and say that maybe we used it to get into the EMH nights....back then, resort guests could pay a fee for this perk (approx. $10) and it was well worth it for us and we had the park literally to ourselves....those days are gone now that EMH is free to ALL resort guests!!!

Ohhh. Those E-Nights were awesome, weren't they? There was a limit of 5000 tickets sold ($12 for the last ones we attended, I believe), and it was magical! Cost-wise, I guess it didn't work out for Disney, but for the consumer it was pixiedust: I remember having to show our card to get on the bus, too (1990)

Hello all i have never been to Disney Before and was wondering If all 4 or 5 of us get a key to the world card when we go for our first time (I Hope we go) on April 17th 2010. All Depends on my income tax if we go in April or not. I am getting so excited i really do hope that we go in April Never been to Disney World before.. Going with my Sister and her 2 kids Girl 10 and boy 5

.... all 4 or 5 of us get a key to the world card when we go for our first time (I Hope we go) on April 17th 2010.

Yes, everyone noted in your room reservation will be given a "Key" card that they will be able to use to access their room and show during EMH at the parks.

Hope all goes as planned! You will have a wonderful time!!! :goodvibes

Yes, at one time Disney had 'resort specific' cards. They were much thinner than the cards out today. The Fort Wilderness card was issued in 1990 and we were actually given 2 cards....1) was specifically for 'Transportation' throughout WDW.....back then, you actually had to SHOW your card before they let you onto any bus, boat or monorail....that or your 'ticket'....2) not quite sure why we were given this second card since no info was on it... notice in the picture, everything has XXXXX's on it? Back then these cards didn't have magnetic strips either.....I can guess and say that maybe we used it to get into the EMH nights....back then, resort guests could pay a fee for this perk (approx. $10) and it was well worth it for us and we had the park literally to ourselves....those days are gone now that EMH is free to ALL resort guests!!!

We also have a Dixielandings (now POR) card from 1992 so I believe it was that year or shortly there after that they started using the thicker, credit card like 'generic' cards for all resorts. :sad1:
Thank you for all that very intresting information.

was wondering If all 4 or 5 of us get a key to the world card when we go for our first time

Yes, everyone age 3 and up listed on your reservation will be issued a KTTW.

However, once, when my daughter was about a year old, the CM at the Beach Club desk printed her a card of her own. It didn't open the room nor did it allow charging, but it was adorable.....she had written my daughter's name on it and wrote "Charge as much as you want!":lmao: It was really cute.

Our first visit was in December 2006 and every card since has been identical. Didn't even know there were other ones.

We just got back from a week at Disney and our card for February 2010 is Where dreams come true....it is the same as the blue one in the first post except ours is gold since we stayed club level.

I would not complain. I'd just like to have the cards regardless of what is on the front. It would mean I was actually in WDW recently :rotfl2:

....it is the same as the blue one in the first post except ours is gold since we stayed club level.

But that's still different from the blue ones! Very cool!!! :cool2:

I would not complain. I'd just like to have the cards regardless of what is on the front. It would mean I was actually in WDW recently :rotfl2:

I agree! Not complaining either, just after 3+ years I wish they'd give out a different one already! :rolleyes:

Its been a few months, any new designs to report yet?

Nope. It's still the same design as it's been for a while. There have been no announced plans to roll out a new design anytime in the forseeable future.

However, rumour does have it that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is testing new technologies that would eventually replace the Key to the World (WDW) and Key to the Magic (DLR) Cards.

Think wristbands :rolleyes1.

Thanks for the update Glenda!

The wristband idea would be an interesting one.....and would likely be more cost-effective then the cards? At least people wouldn't 'lose' their cards anymore if its around their wrist! ;)

Nope. It's still the same design as it's been for a while. There have been no announced plans to roll out a new design anytime in the forseeable future.

However, rumour does have it that Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is testing new technologies that would eventually replace the Key to the World (WDW) and Key to the Magic (DLR) Cards.

Think wristbands :rolleyes1.
Thanks for the update.

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if these cards have changed yet.
It would be nice to (finally) have a different one for next years "Let the memories begin" slogan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter