• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Your Favourite Container Annuals?

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Some of us (like me!) haven't started our containers yet.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from all of you about what annuals you've had success with, the tried and true. :)

The following are some annuals that I've been very happy with in the past, and will buy again this year.

Calibrachoa (Million Bells)
I've used these for the last two years and have been very pleased with them. They can be vigorous, so this year I'm going to put them in a container on their own. No need to deadhead, they are self-cleaning, and grow well in full sun with regular watering and feeding.

Thunbergia (Black-eyed Susan Vine)
A tomato cage turned upside down with the top points pulled together and tied, well anchored in a container, provides an easy means of support for these pretty vines. They do need deadheading, and grow well in full sun. The only problem I've had with them is that the earwigs are very fond of them too!!

Bacopa (Olympic Gold)
I've used these in containers and in a window box. They have a nice spreading/trailing habit, and do well in full sun to shade. Shade is preferable where summers are very hot. Keep it well watered.

Sweet Potato Vine (Blackie)
I planted this last year for it's dark foliage and was very pleased with it's performance. It did well in full sun. I will be looking for it again this year.

Coleus
I have a planter on my deck that gets very little sun, maybe an hour late in the day. The planter is a very dark chocolate brown and I always plant "Wild Lime" coleus in it. The bright yellow and lime green leaves are a wonderful contrast to the dark container. The soil needs to be kept moist.

What container annuals have worked for you? Any recommendations? :)

Kim :)

For hanging pots I love Fuchsia and Begonia's. They have so many kinds of flowers that they plant in hanging pots now, but I aways come back to these two old faithful that flower all summer.

I have some antique urn planters that I try different plants in each year. There again there is one plant I always seem to return to thats The Coleus. Love the different colors of the foliage.

Another of my favorites is Hibiscus in pots on patios and porches.

I may go looking for that sweet potato vine. :)

I don't think they'd do well in full sun, but I think of my container plants my favorite is my double impatiens.

So far :D

You've all listed some of my favs too but my ultimate favorite in my white urn planter is Agapanthus (Blue) surrounded by a purple Tradescancia that blooms little pink flowers. It's a showstopper.

Snowwark - This is a timely post because I was wondering the same myself. I normally don't do too many container plantings. I used to have two window boxes where I just would put impatiens. (Lost the boxes when we re-sided house). And I would always have a geranium or two in a small pot. Last year, SIL gave me a railing box for our deck and I got brave (thanks to you guys) and planted some dianthus and vinca vine.

This year, for my B-day, I received a large container, rectangle, to be placed to the left of our side entrance, the entrance we use the most. I need ideas! I read this post earlier today and hubby and I went out to garden center (we played hooky today, heeheehee). Anyway, this garden center is one that we were just told about at the plant swap we went to on Saturday. We were told that the lady may be a bit pricey but she has things one normally will not find at Franks, etc.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I came across the sweet potato vine you talked about AND Black-eye Susan vines growing on upside-down tomato cages just as you mentioned!!!! I was floored!! I had jotted down the name Calibrachola (million bells) because I adored the picture but could not find any of those.

We left not buying anything (can you believe it!) because it was the first place we have gone to this season and I'm not sure what I want to do.

And siouxi31 - I found images of Agapanthus but cannot locate in book or internet Tradescancia. Very interested in seeing what the two look like from your description.

Hi Tulirose, Maybe I spelled it wrong "Tradescantia". I'm trying to find a link on the web that will show you the one I'm talking about. There are several varieties and it is also known as spiderwort. The one I'm referring to is like a burgundy red, it trails over the edge, and the stems/leaves are thick. Out from the center of the leaves is where the little pink flower comes out.
What did you think of the Agapanthus? As far as I know they come in white and blue but I'm partial to the blue.
Will let you know if I can find a link to a photo.
Susan

You found the two vines Tulirose, very cool! :) I hope you can track down the Million Bells, they really are very pretty, and reliable!! :)

Thank you for the link siouxi31, I wasn't familiar with that plant. :)

Coleus is a favourite of mine too Mamu. I read somewhere that it's enjoyed a real resurgence in popularity in the last few years as more and more people look to foliage to add interest to their gardens/containers. :)

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

siouxi31 - I loved the Agapanthus and I am intrigued by the tradescantia. If you do that planter this season, you have to take a picture and let us see the combination!

Snowwark - I found an advertisement for a farm selling "Million Bells Tera Cotta Petunia" and "Million Bells Blue Petunia". Are these the same as your Calibrachola?

I love deep dark trailing blue lobelia as at least part of many of my container plants.

I almost always have trailing petunias (wave variety). I like the selection of colors that they come in and they are easy to pluck the spent blooms off of. The trailing habit makes it an interesting display as the flowers cascade over the sides of the pot or hanging basket. This year, I purchased some purple and pink wave petunias and potted them up with some Dusty Miller and Purple Alyssum and mixed color Alyssum. In another grouping of containers, I went with more tropical colors. In these I used a combination of Celosia "Jewelbox Mix", Salvia "red", Verbena "mixed colors", Coleus, Dusty Miller, and more purple Alyssum.

I had pitiful containers last year, just did not really do a good job in selecting plants for them. This year, I think that I am going to like the combinations.

HI Tulirose,
Calibrocha and Million Bells are the same thing.

I love those too. I have an old wooden wheelbarrow that I fill with those and coleus--it's beautiful when they are fully grown in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter