Your favorite restaurant in HH?

StormalongKay

Mouseketeer
Have never stayed here before and am going over Easter. Looking for opinions on where to eat Easter dinner. We will have a car. We're 2 families - 4 adults, 5 children ranging in ages from 4-8.

Any suggestions?

We tried several restaurants at HH based on opinions posted here and our favorite by far was the Old Oyster Factory.

For Easter dinner with children, I would choose the buffet at the Hilton. You'll need to make reservations though.

The Westin also has a WONDERFUL buffet...well worth the price. I'm sure it is extra special at Easter.

We have several "favorties" (really just as long as it's at Hilton Head)-Captain's Seafood, Hofsbrau (German), and It's Greek to Me. There was a show recently on the Fine Living Channel, so that next time we want to try out-Jazz Company and Hudson House.

Thanks everyone! With a week's stay we'll probably try all 3 but the buffets sound like a good choice for Easter. Thanks for the heads-up about the reservations. :teeth:

To go to HH and do mostly buffet's is a real shame. The Westin for Easter Sunday would be a good choice as would the Hilton. But there are simply too many great restaurants to take up your choices with Buffet's. Cafe Europa, Old Oyster Factory, Red Fish, Alexander's, CQ's (though not on my fav list), Old Ft. Pub, Hudson's, Kingfisher's, and Fitzgerald's come to mind. For lighter or more casual fare, Wild Wings, Guiseppi's Pizza, Truffle's cafe, HH brewing company, HH diner would be added to my A list. And there are many others. Many of those have an early bird menu and some are on the DVC discount list. I've combined the early bird and 10% discount several times and never been turned down. There is a book published a few times a year which contains menu's, lists of early birds and the like. You can usually get it in the hotel lobbies and at the welcome center. What it doesn't always tell you is what's on the early bird but I've never been to one I couldn't find something that fit my needs, and I don't eat seafood except for Shrimp. At Old Oyster Factory I've been able to combine the free salad and 10% off at least 3 times. I was able to use the early bird and 10% off at Alexander's and one other place that I'm blanking on at present. It's funny that when I had called them both I was told I couldn't double dip the discounts, but I was able to.

Don't forget that the resort will deliver a dinner to your villa (pre-ordered, we got our menu in the mail about 6 weeks before our Easter trip last year) We decided to cook our own, but the menu looked great!! It wasn't overly expensive either. If you would like me to fax it to you, pm me!

The best dining experience at HH by far is Chef Gordon's "A Private Affair". We also like Captain's Seafood (very casual), and a place called Just Pasta. Have a great trip.

I agree that there are lots of yummy and varied restaurants at HH! However, for Easter dinner with children, you cannot go wrong with the major buffets--the food is quite nice, extremely varied, and the kids won't have to wait to eat. It will be a bit on the expensive side though. Keep in mind that a lot of the other places listed (such as Captain's Seafood) won't even be open on Easter Sunday, but will be well worth the visit during the rest of your stay. There's a great restaurant guide with many of the island menus you can pick up and peruse once you get there. Don't forget to check out the early bird specials as well.

(oops! edited to add that I just noticed that Dean already wrote a lot of the same info. Bon apetit!!!)

Charley's Crab (next to Hudson's) is one of our favorites. We're not real big fans of the fried seafood that dominates Old Oyster, Hudson's, or many of the others. Also if you go for the sunset menu it's a 3 course meal for around 15$. Not bad considering you get appetizer, entree' and desert selections with drink (I believe).... It's also pretty kid friendly (kids menu avail) and if the weather is right and you time it well, you can sit outside and watch the sunset.

Link http://www.muer.com/

D

I have to say we were rather disappointed in the Old Oyster Factory. There was just something about Oyster Factory we didn't like. Seemed mighty expensive to us and just a little more fancy than we like. When I eat steamed oysters (which I love), I want a big bucket full, not just 4-5 on a plate fancied up.We're used to Calabash style seafood and have it at least once every week or so where we live and that's basically the kind of food and environment we like. On the other hand we ate at the Crazy Crab at Harbour Town for lunch one day and thought it was pretty good. In August, I want to try the seafood restaurant that is there next to the marina at Shelter Cove (can't remember name right now). Also, I'd like to try Hudson's.

WolfpackFan said:
I have to say we were rather disappointed in the Old Oyster Factory. Seemed mighty hoity-toity to me. We're used to Calabash style seafood and have it at least once every week or so where we live and that's basically the kind of food and environment we like. On the other hand we ate at the Crazy Crab at Harbour Town for lunch one day and thought it was pretty good. In August, I want to try the seafood restaurant that is there next to the mariner at Shelter Cove. Also, I'd like to try Hudson's. But, I don't know there was just something about Oyster Factory we didn't like. Seemed mighty expensive to us and just a little more fancy than we like. When I eat steamed oysters (which I love), I want a big bucket full, not just 4-5 on a plate fancied up.
Old Oyster Factory is not a hole in the way type place. It's not particularly expensive for HH but is more so than around here especially when you consider it doesn't come with a salad. We've also been to that Crazy Crab but not the other one, didn't care for it on two occasions. It's actually owned by the same people that own Alexander's and Red Fish. But each should go where they like.

The Seafood place by the Bridge at DVC is Kingfisher's.

The one I was thinking about wasn't Kingfisher's, it is the other one on the right hand side as you leave the resort. Is it called Scott's Seafood or something like that? Anyway it looked interesting as we were walking around. I'd also like to try that Mexican restaurant that is part of Shelter Cove. I didn't mean to sound too down on Old Oyster Factory, it just wasn't our kind of place. I guess we're the kind of "new" DVC owners that the CM was talking about in that other thread. I guess I'm just a hole in the wall type of person.

Scott's is the name you were thinking of and San Miguel is the Mexican restaurant in Shelter Cove.

WolfpackFan said:
The one I was thinking about wasn't Kingfisher's, it is the other one on the right hand side as you leave the resort. Is it called Scott's Seafood or something like that? Anyway it looked interesting as we were walking around. I'd also like to try that Mexican restaurant that is part of Shelter Cove. I didn't mean to sound too down on Old Oyster Factory, it just wasn't our kind of place. I guess we're the kind of "new" DVC owners that the CM was talking about in that other thread. I guess I'm just a hole in the wall type of person.
The one is the strip mall is Scott's, I haven't eaten there but have heard good and bad about it. I've heard good things about the MX, San Miguel's I think.

Sorry, didn't see Erin's post until after I had responded.

We really liked Scott's when we were there...but it's been a few years!

I agree...there are many great options besides buffets...I just had to mention the Westin after the Hilton buffet was posted. There are a couple of really good HH restaurant websites. I don't know how far back we can search here since the board switch...but there have been some great threads about this in the past year.

While some people rave about Kingfisher's, we haven't been too crazy about it either time we ate there. Probably won't try it again, since there are so many other options.

Scott's is a better option if you're looking for seafood within walking distance. Harbourmaster is further around the marina (an easy walk if you could walk on water, but you'll probably want to drive over), with a great view.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Marley's -- down by Sea Pines Circle. It's fairly new and we have been happy with our dinners both times we've eaten there.

We usually pick up one of the restaurant magazines (sometimes they have them at the front desk, if not, they're out by Piggly Wiggly) with all the menus. We like to try someplace "new", as well as going back to old favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter