• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Your "favorite" flower/plant

PrincessMommyof2

Earning My Ears<br><font color=teal>My bridal veil
Okay, people of dirty hands. Tell me what your favorite flowers or plants are and why.

Mine is my toad lily. I live in zone 9 and it gets far too hot in the summer. My little toad lillies are in full shade. I've tried to grow them before and failed, until I learned that besides regular daily watering, they needed to be misted here because of the heat. So, they are my babies.

My other favorites are my shade garden (hostas, coral bells, daphne, rhodies and my great grandma's christmas rose), which is ironic to most because a lot of plants that grow in full sun elsewhere would die a painful death in our summer sun. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

The easiest plant that we have is a hibiscus. You just plant it, water it, and from time to time we just trim it and give it some fertilizer.

Hostas, peonies, coreopsis moonbeam, daylilies - notice these are all easy plants to take care of!

I love lilacs but don't have any.

My kick this year is my Chinese/Japanese tree peonies. So gorgeous! So expensive! But you get a lot of bang for your buck. Practically disease-free, don't need staking, most are wonderfully fragrant, and they make my neighbors seriously jealous.
Just so many things to love, though, hard to limit myself to just one. Coral bells, bellflowers, iris, cranesbill geraniums, etc., etc, etc....

I forgot cranesbill - now that's a geranium!

Hydrangea's, Hibiscus, Johnson Blue Geranium, Hosta's, Ferns, Liriope, Brunnera, Clematis, Anenome, Lilacs, Dianthus.

I love them all!!! I can't get enough flowers!

I love lillies of the valley - I 've just planted a few this year in our yard and so far they are surviving and doing well. I had 3 that bloomed this year, and I'm hoping they will spread out and take over the spots where they're planted (surrounded on all 4 sides by concrete).

I also like "southern charm" verbascum, but I have yet to grow it successfully myself.

My "easier" flowers that I love are fragrant roses, calla lilies, lavender, peonies, lilacs, tulips, and daffodils.

Okay, so really just any flowers and lots of them!

mommytotwo said:
The easiest plant that we have is a hibiscus. You just plant it, water it, and from time to time we just trim it and give it some fertilizer.

Hibiscus is my favorite as well. I live in New England, so they only will bloom in the summer. I always buy new Hibiscus' each year becuase I just can't keep them alive through out the year. I am of Hawaiian decent and the Hibiscus just has so many good memories for me :goodvibes

Second runner up is a bleeding heart flower. The heart shape flowers are so adorable. My mom had them in her garden when I was little and now I have my own!

I love daylillies. I can't help adding a few new ones to my collection each year. I also like hostas and astilbe. My favorite lily is the stargazer.

I love roses. Can't get enough of them. Disneyland brings a smile to my face instantly and Princess of Wales just takes my breath away. Then comes my old peonies and lilly of the valley. This really is difficult because I love lillies too.

My personal favorites right now are the albutilons I have in different containers. Also know as Chinese lantern or flowing maples, these shrubs look like they have paper flowers growing on them.

I have red and orange varieties in front and lilac varieties in the back.

I also grow tropicals (yes, in Western Washington). I have a hardy banana coming back to life, several palms, and a small olive tree in my collection.

-Laurie

I love my Canna Lily (tropical orange) and Angel Trumpets and Devil trumpets. Love the smell of them at night! My Hydrangeas are doing pretty good too. Got rid of the Hibiscus....too many white flies to get rid of all the time!

pppiglet said:
I love my Canna Lily (tropical orange) and Angel Trumpets and Devil trumpets. Love the smell of them at night! My Hydrangeas are doing pretty good too. Got rid of the Hibiscus....too many white flies to get rid of all the time!

How could I forget the beautiful Canna lily? I don't have one, but my neighbor used to line his back fenceline with them. It is stunning!

I have planted 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea this year, I never had them before. Anything special I need to do? I needed to get rid of my Hydrangea Annabelle last year, it was starting to die out.

I tend to like the more old fashioned flowers. Hollyhock, foxglove,heliotrope, delphiniums. I also love snapdragons, gerbera daisies and dianthus.

I can't pick "a" favorite. :rotfl: I loved my peonies and lilacs when they were blooming. Now I'm drooling over my Gerbera Daisies, mini roses, Dahlia's and Martha Washington Geraniums. Give me a couple days and it'll be my asiatic lilies too. Ohhh and I can't forget my trailing geraniums and there's another trailing red flower I got this year......hmm I'll have to find my markers and figure out it's name. Anyone know how long turtle eggs take to hatch? Found a nest of turtle eggs in the back corner of the flowers too.

I'm new at gardening. I've only experimented with a few things but so far I'm in LOVE with the new supertunias. I have a tidal wave supertunia that really is growing like a tidal wave. I love anything that flowers abundantly and is cascading, with large blooms. I'm into the showy, flashy ones. I've had good luck with impatiens and portaluca too.

Ooo, Ooo, me too...I love portulacas! I just planted a bunch of really flashy ones called "Yuba Red". OOOO, neon!

mommytotwo said:
Ditto the Hibiscus, I love the dinner plate size, but they are hard to find for our zone (7), peonies and hydrangias, dahlias, anything showy, got to love it!

Ok
lets see I love my ...... Coneflowers 'Ruby Star' :goodvibes
but I also love my Balloon Flowers 'Sentimental Blue' and I love my Coreopsis 'Creme Brulee' oh I even love the name :teeth:

I am soooo new to gardening this year ... never had an interest before AT ALL before this year :confused3 But my last baby graduated high school and is starting college this fall ..... and i think i needed something to nurture :rotfl2:
My garden is my "therapy" ;) thats what I tell them at the garden store when they say "here she comes again" :teeth:

heck, I didn't even know there was a gardening board on the DIS :teeth:
and I've been here for 6 years :lmao: you can bet I'll be back :thumbsup2 to this board

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter