• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Young child questions

Cottoncandylove

Merrily, Merrily, Merrily...
We are going to Uni for Halloween and three of our party will be doing the RIP tour while my older daughter has her 7 yo son. What can they do that night on property for Halloween? If anything? Also, he's small for his age, how is a good way to explain to him why he can't ride certain rides? He's such an independent little man that I don't want this to ruin his trip. I could never afford to take my kids to these places when they were little, so I've no experience here. Now that I can afford to travel, my kids are teens and adults, so i need all the help I can get. 🤣🤣 TIA

Suggest they go to the IOA park as hhn is not held there

Mom and 7 yo can have a great time at the park

HHN is only held on select dates at the studios park

As for the rides he’s not tall enough for yet, maybe split your party up sometimes so he doesn’t have to see the taller family members getting to do something he can’t yet all the time.

And when you do have to explain that he can’t ride something, frame it in a positive way, like: just think about how many more new rides you’ll get to go on next time, compared to Family Member X, who’s doing everything now and won’t have anything new to ride next time.

FYI: my advice could be way off, I‘ve never had to deal with this issue 😜

My daughter’s 8 years old. We have gone every year to HHN before Covid and used a baby sitter for the evening we do the haunted houses. All the adults didn’t want to miss it and stay behind and the HHN lasted until 1 or 2 in the morning in the past. She’s 8 years old so still have to use a baby sitter this year. We still hit the parks one of the days with her. She was able to ride a lot when she was 7 years old. The few she wasn’t allowed due to height didn’t upset her. She started loving Harry Potter at 7 so she really loved going to both parks using the train. Her absolute favorite rides are the Jurassic Park boat ride and Hagrids. She was able to ride both of those at 7 years old.

That's great, thanks! I was talking with him yesterday and found out he knows all about Harry Potter and is getting super excited to be in the Wizarding world. He also is a big Spiderman fan so he'll love that ride!
My daughter took him to a water park in Jax and said he gave them no issues on not being able to ride certain slides because of size, I'm thankfully for that. I remember seeing a place in front of one of the parks for young ones to size up and discuss what they could ride, so I'll be taking advantage of that and my daughter and I will child swap where we have to. Thank goodness for that. You guys are great. Thank you!!

We just got back from Universal. My 7 year old could do most attractions. There were only like 1-2 in each park that she couldn't do. I agree with going to IoA and doing things there while everyone else does the tour. My 7 year old loved all the HP stuff especially Hagrid's. She also loved Spiderman and all the Dr. Seuss stuff.

Just keep in mind that depending on when you're going IOA may not be open as late as US on an HHN night. That happened to us during our trip. IOA was only open until 7 pm while US/HHN was open to at least midnight. We were all adults so those of us that opted out of HHN hung out in City Walk after IOA closed. Since the party goers also had the Express Pass they got through everything pretty quickly and they ended up meeting us at Margaritaville around 10 pm.

I would check out the height requirements beforehand so you know what he can/can’t ride. That way he won’t get super excited about riding something and then find out he’s too short. I haven’t had that issue as my kids are a bit timid about rides. My 7 year old likes to watch ride videos, talk about how amazing and cool a ride is, then proclaim how he is way too scared to try it😂

ETA: As far as explaining why he can’t ride, just explain that they are trying to keep everyone safe and you have to be a certain size to safely ride certain rides.

For Halloween night, maybe check out and see if the mini golf in CityWalk is open? That could be a fun alternative. That, or plan on a pool night. Not sure where you are staying, but most pools are open later in the night (until 9pm-ish), and I know a lot of kids get a kick out of it just because at home you usually don't swim in the dark! Also, with so many first run movies streaming these days, maybe save a "new" movie for that night and watch it in your room with popcorn and candy.

Miniature golf or pool for the party night.

Look through the website's height info, so you know what he cannot ride. Practice standing straight and tall for the rides he's borderline on. He WANTS to hit the height bar (not hard, of course). Rides at Universal do the rider switch inside the lines (unlike Disney and their outside rider switch), so he can stay with the party through most of the ride lines. Therefore it's imperative that he knows of the height reqs so it doesn't make him too sad.

We are taking our 6 year old grandson this year during HHN. We have also taken him when he was 2 and 3. For during the RIP tour, definitely go to the other park. During HHN Lite last year, they had trick or treating in IOA. I hope they bring it back this year. But even without that, there is plenty they can do until the park closes....spend time in Camp Jurassic and the smaller playground in Seussland. Do multiple rides on whichever rides he is tall enough for. Maybe a fun meal.....dinner at 3 Broomsticks or Circus McGurkus. Mini golf and pool time are also good suggestions.

My grandson is also on the tiny size. He just reached 42 inches this past year. We were just honest and told him that some rides he just isn't big enough for yet. We didn't give him any maybe's unless he was super close to the height requirement so he wouldn't be disappointed. Going with what to do during the RIP tour and height requirements, definitely take him on Pterandon Flyers (if he is tall enough). My grandson was thrilled that there was this cool ride just for him and adults couldn't ride without him.

Just keep in mind that depending on when you're going IOA may not be open as late as US on an HHN night. That happened to us during our trip. IOA was only open until 7 pm while US/HHN was open to at least midnight. We were all adults so those of us that opted out of HHN hung out in City Walk after IOA closed. Since the party goers also had the Express Pass they got through everything pretty quickly and they ended up meeting us at Margaritaville around 10 pm.
When there is HHN, Universal closes to the public at 5pm but HHN lasts until 1-2am, depending on the night. IOA will stay open a little later to accommodate people not attending HHN, but will generally close around 7-8pm, again depending on the night. It also makes IOA a bit busier during that timeframe.

There is always pool time (weather permitting).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter