You thought it was impossible, but Pop Century is getting worse

True, we could always draw the curtains to hide our eyes from the grotesque lack of imagination and poor design choices, but isn't that why I go to the Wisconsin Dells?

WDW and Eisner constantly hail themselves as patrons of solid architecture - where everything is thought out to the last detail. What good is that philosophy if they build housing projects right next to their whimsical, award-winning architectual designs?

The fact of the matter is that people staying at the Carribean Beach should not have to draw their curtains too.

Nor should I have to install a curtain rod on my windshield.

seashoreCM, I was under the impression that no pictures of Disney facilities could be printed in any guidebooks except for the Official Guide. I thought that was why Rita Aero's book and the Unofficial Guide were so plain. (I'm not familiar with the others)

A lot of people seem to book from ads and many go through travel agents or at least so I've been told. I don't believe that ads really show much about the resorts and travel agents may or may not. Just a thought but I could certainly be way offbase.

Plus I admit that the "look" of a resort is real important to me. It's not necessarily as important to others. I do wonder what the rooms will look like though?

WDWMagic has some pictures posted on their site. After studying these pics you kind of get the idea of what these buildings are all about. They're very plain jane. You can just fill in the blanks, or catch phrases, as you see fit. In fact, the "Wassup" sign is visible in one of them. Here's the link:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/pop_century.htm

I think if the interiors turn out as badly as the exteriors they might give folks nightmares!

I am given hope by the realization that it would probably be fairly easy to rip down all the big ugly "icons" and turn this into something acceptable....maybe in a few years they will.

I don't get it. Movies, I get. Music, I sort of get. Bowling pins, I don't get. (And I'm a bowler!!!)

Maybe management will offer $50 a night for this resort. Then everybody will get over the headache it gives them!

Originally posted by DOPEY44
Maybe management will offer $50 a night for this resort. Then everybody will get over the headache it gives them!

ding..ding...we have a winner....My wife and I were doubting that we would ever stay at the All-Stars (even with the great rates) there is no way we would ever stay at Pop Century...I have a feeling this will become the bargain basement Hotel for Disney.

I guess I am in a minority, but I think Pop Century will do alright. I agree that small children will greatly enjoy the large icons (my nephew would love that 'big wheel'!). I know from experience that the All-Stars can be the hardest hotels to book! On all my trips to WDW, I have never stayed there (and I tried twice to book it), since they were always completely booked or had minimum night stay requirements. So I think that a hotel with a price even less than the All-Stars will be quite popular since not everyone can afford deluxes or even moderates. Price is a huge factor to many, many people. I think Pop Century will definately find it's "nitch".

I was riding a bus in January to AK, and when we drove by Pop Century, everyone on the bus thought it looked cool and wanted to know what it was!!

HugsforEeyore is right, there are people out there who are going to LOVE PC, even though it makes some people shudder. Hang out on the resorts board for long enough and you will see plenty of posts from people who can't wait to book a stay there.

Hugs & critter, you are correct, but on this board we are strongly influenced by the 'good taste police' ;) ...Those who know what good taste is (theirs). Pop will certainly fill a void & be accepted. Disney accountants and planners are not so stupid as to proceed without proper research, after all it is the same group of people who just gave us AKL on the other end of the spectrum. This Resort will find its niche as well.

Personally, I think Pop, aside from being colorful & unique, is really...quite bad. But you know, I think Alien Encounter is quite lame yet I NEVER howl for its overthrow based on the fact that it COULD have been better & SHOULD have been more than a loud cheap scare, no, no, no, because many, many people love this attraction & the fact that it totally doesn't suit me is only relavent to me, even though I KNOW it COULD have been better. Same with Pop...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I have to agree with the general consensus - looking at the pictures Pop Century just doesn't seem to have any socially redeeming features...

But one of the things that always surprises me when I visit WDW is that about 50% of the folks visiting WDW are from outside the US. Is it possible that the Pop Century buildings - clownish caricatures of real resort buildings - actually fit in with a foreign visitors view of what America is? You know - the land of McDonald's, Pink Flamigos, etc?

We were at our favorite resort CBR in late March 2002 (third trip in less than 5 mos.) and we could see the "progress" of this place every time we would catch the bus to MGM. On the first trip of three , I thought the Bowling pin was cute the first time I saw it. But now what a difference. First and foremost I dont think Disney thought it would be seen from CBR BUT guess what it is seen quite clearly. How could they do this to our favorite resort. Building a giant wall will not help because now you got just that to look, at a giant wall. Just wait till it is all LIT up ughhhhhh. Now with these stupid words on the side of the buildings,yo-yo's etc it is just too much. Granted little kids might like it but teenagers and adults I think will despise it. I am one of Disney's loyal fan but even this is just too much. Now the Bonnet creek (sp.) hotel is being built on the other side of CBR. You can clearly see this Land clearing taking place on the Martinique and Trinidad side especially at the bus stops. The wooded feel is long gone as the land is stripped away. This was one of the main reasons we liked CBR, it gave us the feeling of being secluded in a tropical setting away from it all. Just last may we att eh bus stop in the early evening and we would see numerous deer and other wildlife. BUT alas this wonderful sight is no longer visible either. What a disaster taking place all around CBR. soon CBR should be considered a value resort because I have seen enough on my last trip and I do not like it one bit.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :bounce: :bounce:

We were at our favorite resort CBR in late March 2002 (third trip in less than 5 mos.) and we could see the "progress" of this place every time we would catch the bus to MGM. On the first trip of three , I thought the Bowling pin was cute the first time I saw it. But now what a difference. First and foremost I dont think Disney thought it would be seen from CBR BUT guess what it is seen quite clearly. How could they do this to our favorite resort. Building a giant wall will not help because now you got just that to look, at, a giant wall. Just wait till it is all LIT up ughhhhhh. Now with these stupid words on the side of the buildings,yo-yo's etc it is just too much. Granted little kids might like it but teenagers and adults I think will despise it. I am one of Disney's loyal fan but even this is just too much. Now the Bonnet creek (sp.) hotel is being built on the other side of CBR. You can clearly see this Land clearing taking place on the Martinique and Trinidad side especially at the bus stops. The wooded feel is long gone as the land is stripped away. This was one of the main reasons we liked CBR, it gave us the feeling of being secluded in a tropical setting away from it all. Just last may we at the bus stop in the early evening and we would see numerous deer and other wildlife. BUT alas this wonderful sight is no longer visible either. What a disaster taking place all around CBR. soon CBR should be considered a value resort because I have seen enough on my last trip and I do not like it one bit.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :bounce: :bounce:

I want to stay their. I think it will be fun, and as a teen, the whole concept just sounds cool.

For people who usually sleep above 3 axles and surrounded by aluminum PC will be a Disney paradise !

DH wants to stay at PC in January only because of it being a new resort. But... What at first seemed quaint, does appear to be over the top. The words on the buildings make me speechless. ;)
We have stayed at CSR and ASMo, so far. I enjoyed ASMo. Doesn't every house need a four story Buzz Lughtyear? ;) I liked the smaller size resort compared to the spread out CSR. But DH really missed a Pepper Market food court.
With PC I think each hotel can further meet guest's needs and prices. Would I choose PC as a first choice. No way. :p But give me a room cheap enough.... ;) We are only in there to shower and sleep anyway.

I can say it in 4 words....

SOUTH OF THE BORDER

Well, so far this thread has insulted people who live in manufactured housing and Mexicans.
Anyone want to go for the Trifecta?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter