You Only Turn 40 Once - A Pre-trip Report

Wow! What pixie dust you have! I can't wait to see your pictures.

Indeed. I feel very privileged. I am not sure how many photos I will take as we have a professional photographer in our group, but I am sure there will be some.

Now that is what I call a birthday! How lovely for you! To celebrate on a VIP tour very kind of the generous silent donator! I love my iPad mini cool gadget from Amazon. So many things to look forward to! Seeing all your friends , Hawaii! Tours ! Oh my! Pleasure over load don't forget to rest and enjoy it.

Yes, I am extremely lucky. There will be plenty of rest, too. I am sure I will take many loops around the lazy river and try out all the hot tubs.

Hi Corrina

Oh I'm soooo sorry ive missed so much of your TR but life just seems sooooo busy ATM :worried:

I can't believe how quick your trip as come around :thumbsup2

I am so happy you have had such a fantastic surprise for your birthday & you truly deserve that VIP tour and I'm sure like me everyone else who follows your TR can't wait to read all about it :cool1:

Haha Graham sounds just like Phil, he wouldn't even know what it was when he'd bought it :lmao:

Corinna please just drop me a pm when you have a minute and let me know what date you go as I have a little something I would like to send you for your birthday :hug:

Xxxxx

It has been crazy busy here, too. Suddenly there are 5 days left until I head to the airport and I wonder where the time has gone.

I am so looking forward to the VIP tour and there will most definitely be a trip report when I get back. This may not happen until the new year so. We are moving office while I am away and it will take a while for me to settle in. We have a Christmas ball the weekend after we get back and then there is of course Christmas itself. In the middle of this little lot, I need to edit all my Photopass pictures before I can get started.

I just read in my Costco magazine that at Disneyland on the Haunted Mansion ride, if you ask the CM at the beginning of the ride for a death certificate, they might have one ready for you at the end of the ride!

Thanks, I had read about this before, but also read that recently they are a little reluctant to give them out. You can also get a map at the Jungle Cruise.

Corinna

I was absolutely exhausted yesterday and never got as far as this thread. I did my online check in for Aulani yesterday. My new debit card also arrived yesterday so it is officially panic over.

This morning I had a lovely surprise when I got to my local Starbucks. The red posters were up, the red cups were out and I had the first Toffee Nut Latte of the season. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have my first Christmas coffee in the USA.

I managed to get a neat gadget today, a memory card reader for my iPad Mini. I promised life updates for my character hunt and I figured that I just have to make sure that I always have my iPhone on me to document any character meets. Now I can use any camera and just plug the memory card in the iPad and download the photos that I want. Knowing that, I unearthed my little point and shoot camera to take as well as the DSLR and the underwater camera.

I had another nice surprise today. A lot of the restaurants at Downtown Disney at Disneyland are operated by the Patina Group including our favourite, Naples. Somebody on our November check in thread recommended that any November visitors who have a birthday in November should sign up for the news letter as they get a gift certificate for their birthday. I thought that is worth a try. A couple of minutes later, I had a $30 gift certificate that I can use within the next 60 days. So essentially I will get my dinner for free. Of course, I will still pay the tax and gratuity and I am sure there will be some drinks in the equation somewhere, but this is still nice to have.

Corinna

Corinna - The pixie dust keeps piling on for you. :thumbsup2
Well done on the $30 gift cert.

Oh great re your credit card arriving and checking in online! Feels real now I bet!

Oh that is lovely re free meal and that is a brilliant plan that ipad device. Not long now. Are you bouncing off the walls like tiger?

Corinna - The pixie dust keeps piling on for you. :thumbsup2
Well done on the $30 gift cert.

Yes, I have been rather lucky.

Oh great re your credit card arriving and checking in online! Feels real now I bet!

Oh that is lovely re free meal and that is a brilliant plan that ipad device. Not long now. Are you bouncing off the walls like tiger?

Actually, it still does not feel quite real. I am hoping that it will sink in when we are in the club lounge on Sunday evening. If that does not happen, I know it will feel real once I get my first hug from Stitch.

I am bouncing off the walls alright, but not necessarily from excitement, but more from frustration and stress. Let's just say the last two days have not gone according to plan. Still, this too shall pass.

Corinna

Yes, I have been rather lucky. Actually, it still does not feel quite real. I am hoping that it will sink in when we are in the club lounge on Sunday evening. If that does not happen, I know it will feel real once I get my first hug from Stitch. I am bouncing off the walls alright, but not necessarily from excitement, but more from frustration and stress. Let's just say the last two days have not gone according to plan. Still, this too shall pass. Corinna
I hope you manage to have the next days to come until your wonderful vacation in a state of calm. When you get to Hawaii and see where they filmed that fabulous movie Jurassic Park it will melt away like Olaf in the summertime.. Stitch awaits you with the biggest hug an alien can give..

9th November
15:45
Pick up from work by Airport Cars 2 Go to take me to the Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

16:00
Meet Graham and check into our Club Room at Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

18:00
Pre-dinner drinks and appetisers in the Club Lounge

19:00
Dinner at Sampan's Oriental Restaurant

10th November

6:30
Alarm goes off, get ready and head for breakfast at Club Lounge

7:30
Check out and take shuttle to terminal 3 at Manchester airport

7:45
Check in for flight, clear security, relax in departure lounge

10:45
Departure of flight to Philadelphia

13:50
Arrive in Philadelphia, clear immigration and customs, late lunch/ early dinner at Earl of Sandwich

18:00
Departure of flight to Los Angeles

21:12
Arrive in Los Angeles, collect luggage, Supershuttle to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel

Ca. 23:00
Arrive at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, check in, go to sleep

11th November

Surf's Up Breakfast with Mickey and Friends at PCH Grill at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel

09:00
Check in for A Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour

9:30
A Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour

13:00
Pick up Photopas+ lanyard and photo package from breakfast, explore Disneyland for a while. Must do attractions: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion Holiday, It's A Small World Holiday, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Pirates of the Caribbean

17:00
Meet Graham for dinner

12th November

Critter Breakfast with Chip and Dale, Storytellers Cafe, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

9:00
Extra Magic Hour Disney California Adventure, spend day at California Adventure. Must do attractions: Soarin, Radiator Springs Racers, Toy Story Mania, Luigi's Flying Tires

"Lunch": Sundae at Ghiradelli

17:45
Dinner at Steakhouse 55

After dinner
Pack and have an early night

13th November

5:00
Alarm call, put last odds and ends in luggage, check out

5:35
Pick up by Supershuttle to go to LAX

8:30
Flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu

12:27
Arrive at Honolulu, pick up rental car and drive to Aulani

Ca. 14:00
Arrive at Aulani, check in, either take luggage to room or leave luggage with Bell Services and explore resort

17:50
Sunset

14th November

8:30
Aunty's Breakfast Celebration Buffet at Makahiki

Lazy day around the resort

15th November

06:15
Dolphin Snorkel Adventure, Ko Olina Marina

Spa treatment?

16th November

9:00
Byodo-In Temple

11:45
Movie Sites & Ranch Tour, Kualoa Ranch

Lunch at one of the Shrimp Trucks

Afternoon
Drive around North Shore, Waimea Falls Park and Shave Ice at Matsumoto Shave Ice

17th November

08:00
Mahalo Member Mingle

Dole Plantation

Lazy afternoon around resort/ Snorkel/ Swim

18th November

Honolulu

19th November

10:00
Pearl Harbor

16:00
Member Maka'ika'i: Art & Nature Walking Tour of Aulani

20th November

Day around the resort: Swimming, Snorkeling, Photo Scavenger Hunt, Menehune Adventure Trail

21st November

Day around the resort: Swimming, Snorkeling, Photo Scavenger Hunt, Menehune Adventure Trail

22nd November

Do laundry, pack

Early night

23rd November

8:00
Flight from Honolulu to LAX

15:19
Arrive in Los Angeles, collect luggage, Supershuttle to Howard Johnson Anaheim, Check in and nap

Potential evening at Disneyland

24th November

Breakfast at IHOP

12:00
Meet in Lobby of Grand Californian Hotel for VIP tour of California Adventure and Disneyland

25th November

Day at California Adventure

26th November

9:40
Goofy's Kitchen

12:00
Holidays at Disneyland Tour

27th November

Morning at California Adventure

Afternoon resort hopping to see the decorations in the hotels

17:30
Disneyland Hotel Thanksgiving Dinner

28th November

Day at Disneyland

09:40
Minnie & Friends – Breakfast in the Park, Plaza Inn

29th November

Day sightseeing with friends?

30th November

Park hopping day

Packing

17:30
Chef Counter at Napa Rose, Grand Californian Hotel

1st December

4:35
Supershuttle to LAX

8:35
Flight to Philadelphia

16:37
Arrive in Philadelphia, early dinner at the airport

20:50
Flight to Manchester

2nd December

8:45
Arrive in Manchester, taxi or train home, sleep

I hope you manage to have the next days to come until your wonderful vacation in a state of calm. When you get to Hawaii and see where they filmed that fabulous movie Jurassic Park it will melt away like Olaf in the summertime.. Stitch awaits you with the biggest hug an alien can give..

Yes, it will be all worth it and it will be a truly magical vacation. I am hoping that tomorrow most things will be sorted out and then I can start to relax.

Corinna

I'm sorry about the stress :( hopefully it doesn't last tmuch longer. Your magical vacation begins in a few short days :cool1:

Your itinerary looks awesome!

My first whole day will be the day you fly out. Will you be blogging your adventures? It would be a GREAT way to get excited for my week to come.

Hope that things sort themselves out and that you're now de-stressing for a wonderful trip ahead. Love your plans. :thumbsup2

I just read in my Costco magazine that at Disneyland on the Haunted Mansion ride, if you ask the CM at the beginning of the ride for a death certificate, they might have one ready for you at the end of the ride!

That sounds awesome! I want one!

I had another nice surprise today. A lot of the restaurants at Downtown Disney at Disneyland are operated by the Patina Group including our favourite, Naples. Somebody on our November check in thread recommended that any November visitors who have a birthday in November should sign up for the news letter as they get a gift certificate for their birthday. I thought that is worth a try. A couple of minutes later, I had a $30 gift certificate that I can use within the next 60 days. So essentially I will get my dinner for free. Of course, I will still pay the tax and gratuity and I am sure there will be some drinks in the equation somewhere, but this is still nice to have.

Corinna

This is great! I hope that they are still running it when my birthday comes around. The Patina Group is my favorite chain restaurant as I love their restaurants that are not a Disneyland just as much, maybe even more so!

Can I add one more request to the ride list? We never got on the newly imagined Alice in Wonderland ride with PIO and friends, I would really like to see that one, so if we have time it would be great to hit that ride.

What a fabulous line up! Like that you get a DisneyLand sandwich before and after Hawaii! How nice. And that you get an Earl of Sandwich at Philly airport!

Counting down..

Well, what a difference a day makes. When I was on the train to work today, there was the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. I just knew that a day that starts with a sunrise like this had to be great one.

I'm sorry about the stress :( hopefully it doesn't last tmuch longer. Your magical vacation begins in a few short days :cool1:

Your itinerary looks awesome!

I am now over the worst. I put in 12 hours today, but that means apart from a few loose ends that won't take much time to tie up, I can now relax.

My first whole day will be the day you fly out. Will you be blogging your adventures? It would be a GREAT way to get excited for my week to come.

No. There will be trip report afterwards, but while I am away, I like to make memories rather than write about the trip.

Hope that things sort themselves out and that you're now de-stressing for a wonderful trip ahead. Love your plans. :thumbsup2

Yes, things are falling nicely into place now. Let's just say, over the last two weeks I have definitely earned myself that spa treatment I am lusting after.

That sounds awesome! I want one!

This is great! I hope that they are still running it when my birthday comes around. The Patina Group is my favorite chain restaurant as I love their restaurants that are not a Disneyland just as much, maybe even more so!

Can I add one more request to the ride list? We never got on the newly imagined Alice in Wonderland ride with PIO and friends, I would really like to see that one, so if we have time it would be great to hit that ride.

We have only ever eaten at Naples from the restaurants owned by the Patina group.

Absolutely. I really want to do Alice in Wonderland as well.

What a fabulous line up! Like that you get a DisneyLand sandwich before and after Hawaii! How nice. And that you get an Earl of Sandwich at Philly airport!

Counting down..

I love the concept of a Disneyland Sandwich. As to the Earl of Sandwich, I also have a birthday gift certificate from them that entitles me to a free sandwich.

Great trip schedule :thumbsup2

Thanks.

Corinna

I had every intention to post another update yesterday that I had been salivating over for the past week, but I needed my beauty sleep yesterday so I shall post this in a minute.

I am definitely ready now. I printed out the rest of the confirmations yesterday and have everything I need for this trip. A spare key has been left with our building manager just in case after all the leaks that we had. Graham told me rather gleefully when I spoke to him last night that the next time I see him, he will be on holiday. I did not appreciate this as I still have to work tomorrow and Sunday. I have stocked up with books on my iPad. I also had a manicure and pedicure after work today. So the last things that are outstanding now is the dreaded packing that I will tackle after work tomorrow and the online check in for the flights, which I can do Sunday morning. This does feel good.

Corinna

For those of you who have followed my pre-trip and trip reports for a while k now that my trips usually involve one or more custom gowns and some custom jewellery. This trip is not really this kind of trip. I have no formal events as such to attend this time round and gowns don’t really go with the beach and theme park rides. However, a holiday is not really a holiday for me without getting some special pretty things and shiny things. So once we had made up our minds back in August to stay over Thanksgiving and to have a meal at Napa Rose, I decided this was excuse enough to get a new custom dress. This is not a full-length gown, but a tea length dress. I really loved the Emerald green in the gown I ordered for our December cruise last year and decided to go with Emerald green and gold for this dress. I really love how this has turned out and it is complete different style from any other dress I own. I will also wear this at Christmas this year.

So that is the pretty thing taken care of. When it comes to shiny things, there is really only one person that gets a look in. I have been working with Kythryne for years now and I think since 2008 every significant event in my life was marked with a custom piece of jewellery. So I really could not let my 40th birthday pass without getting a special piece of jewellery from her. This has been the longest drawn out process ever, but it is so worth it. The process actually started at the beginning of June. We had previously discussed if something like this was possible, but this was the point when the concrete planning process started. I have to admit, there were some points when I wondered if this was ever going to work out. I had asked if she could do a necklace with a 4 decades theme and she said that she could and it would be fun to work on. The first suggestion was to go with a linked necklace that would include beads and charms to represent key events in my life. She showed me something similar that she had done for herself. Although I loved this, I also knew that I would never wear something like this. The necklace was a single strand and went all the way down to the waist. I had a look on her Flickr account and found a couple of photos of styles that I thought may work with this.

We decided to put this on the back burner for a while and actually get on with other aspects of the project. She asked me to write down anything that I considered to be significant over the last 4 decades. I did this in stages over a number of weeks. I found this very therapeutic and I also came to some realisations and made some connections when I was writing things down. I literally put my heart and soul into this.

The next stage was probably the most fun. We went through my life story and discussed how various events could be represented in the necklace. We ended up with some obvious things and some not so obvious things. My love for travelling is represented by a globe. A person who had a huge impact on my life and was a writer is represented by a pen nib. My love for taking photos and writing trip reports are represented by a camera charm and a typewriter key. My love for Disney is represented by a castle, etc. I also sent a couple of things to be included. When I was about 14, I had a huge crush on somebody at my church. At one stage, he gave me an enamel pendant of doves of peace. I wore this pendant day and night for a number of years. The problem was that the back of this was untreated copper, which had oxidised and started to irritate my skin. So it ended up in a box never to be worn again. I mentioned this to Kythryne a couple of years ago when we were discussing a piece of jewellery that had a base of a copper coated leaf and she said she could get this cleaned up and put a coating on it that it would be safe for me to wear again. I never took her up on that offer. I think I was just too worried that it would go missing in the post. When I wrote about the corresponding time in my life, I just knew that this pendant had to go in there. The second item I sent was a Dirham coin from Dubai. We were not quite sure what we could add to represent Dubai and I asked if a coin would work. The coins from Dubai look rather pretty and exotic.

With this taken care off, we needed to give some serious thought on how to turn all those treasures into a necklace. Kythryne provided me with 4 different pencil sketches and the one that jumped out at me was a choker that came together with a diamond shape in the middle. So we decided to run with that. The next step was to decide on the focal bead which ended up being a beautiful chandelier crystal. Around the same time, Kythryne made a wire sketch. This turned the more angular design of the pencil sketch into a more rounded design. It also changed from two sections meeting at a diamond shape to 4 sections meeting at a teardrop shape.

After discussing some filler beads that use some beads that were used in previous custom pieces of jewellery, it was time for all the pretties to be turned into a necklace. We did something different this time. Kythryne asked if I would be available for the last 15 to 20 minutes while she created the necklace to chat on Skype or FaceTime. I don't do Skype, but FaceTime comes as one of the pre-installed apps on my iPhone and iPad. I had never used this before, but was willing to give this a whirl. After a couple of technical hiccups with my iPad randomly shutting itself down, we managed to talk to each other. This was a great experience. During this chat, she showed me what she had done and asked if I wanted anything adding. We decided to fill a couple of spots that looked a bit bare and added a little flower to represent Hawaii. I am absolutely delighted with how this turned out and can't wait to hold this in my hands on Monday. (Photos courtesy of www.wyrdingstudios.com)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter