You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

You made it home in a day?! I've only ever made it DC to FL in one go twice and it was a LONG day. Good on ya!
Yup, it took just about 12 hours total. (I sat in the back with the dog 😂)

Hope you feel better soon! The last time I was sick, my cough lasted FOREVER! Hope you don't have the same.
So far the cough is definitely the most annoying part - I hope it goes away soon! ☹️

I hope that you're on the mend but in case you're not, remember that sickness can be a lot like injury. If you don't give your body the rest that it needs, it will take even longer to recover.
Yeah, I'm trying to find a balance, but you never really know. I'm definitely not trying to do the training I had planned right now though!

Speed training updates
In which I recalibrate

After almost three weeks of being sick, I finally feel mostly back to normal 🥂 Still a bit of a lingering cough, but it doesn't seem to be having much of an impact on running so whatever.

For obvious reasons, I don't think it makes sense to jump back into my training plan where I left off. I ran only a little higher mileage in all three weeks combined than I was supposed to in the next one week of the plan. And of course I haven't done anything fast in that time either. But I also didn't want to waste the plan I had already made. Some reworking was in order.

I looked ahead to see what kind of time frame I had to work with. The Marine Corps Marathon is October 27. Beginning my M training 16 weeks before that gives me July 8 for a start date. I'm thinking I want three weeks or so of downtime before marathon training, so that means a new training plan should end by June 16.

So if the plan starts on Monday, that gives me 12 weeks to work with, which is a totally reasonable amount of time for a shorter-distance plan. Essentially I'm taking my original 17-week 10K/5K plan and adapting the second half into a 12-week 5K plan. Problem solved.

guarding.jpg
My pupper manifesting his guard dog heritage by checking on any movement outside 😂

I had already made adjustments for missing the Rock 'n' Roll races, so then I just added three more weeks at the beginning to get back to a point where I can do the workouts I had planned. I did tweak some of the workouts in the next couple of weeks to make them a little easier, because I don't want to kill myself. But otherwise it's pretty much the same plan.

The first week back (next week) I am taking things easy and just getting back to a normal schedule and starting to add some strides. Then I'll do some hill work the following week - much as I hate hills, they do make for a good workout, especially when you're trying to build some strength and power back.

1711206038455.png

In week 3 I will do a trial parkrun. I know where the parkrun starts and have run by there many times, but I've never actually done it, so I will be figuring out my strategy. Also it could still be a PR because my official 5K PR is a year old and not my best race anyway, but the point is mostly to practice. Then week 4 is back to what I was supposed to be doing two weeks after Princess.

1711206233105.png

Weeks 5 and 6 are pretty much just keep on keeping on. Progression and more hills, adding a fast finish to the long run in week 6.

1711206541003.png

For weeks 7 and 8 we drop the mileage a bit leading into another parkrun. For "race" week, I thought I'd try some short race-pace repeats instead of a small progression. We'll see how it goes!

1711206701260.png

All kinds of fun with R and T in weeks 9 and 10... 😬😂

1711206897901.png

Wrapping things up with a workout I'm pretty sure I made up and one last parkrun. Race week workout will depend on what I decide works best, or it'll be another experiment 🤷‍♀️

1711207053501.png

Total planned mileage for speed training, part 2: 471.5 miles.

Parkruns could be interesting: rain, heat, mud, and wind are all possible. But if the weather sucks, it'll be good practice for a real race with bad conditions, so I'm not planning on adjusting for that. I've never actually run a parkrun before, but I do follow a bunch of British runners on YouTube somehow, so I feel like I've got the basics 😂

I also have new paces based on my 10K time. Old paces on the left, new paces on the right:

1711214416232.png

Speedy 😳

I still have to add in the strength workouts, but other than that, I feel pretty good about this adaptation.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1711207023934.png
    1711207023934.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
March 18 - 24, 2024
In which I try to get back on track

Monday
off

I did walk at a BRISK pace a little over two miles each way for dinner.

Tuesday
Easy: 4 miles (10:09), avg. HR 155, max 164, 100% Z1-2
upper body strength

Actually felt pretty good for the most part. Still getting used to having hills again 😅 A little bit more coughing afterwards but better than Sunday.

🏋️‍♀️ 3 x 10: bicep curls, tricep extensions, overhead press, dumbbell pullover, chest fly, close row

Wednesday
Easy: 4.32 miles (10:18), avg. HR 155, max 166, 97% Z1-2
lower body strength

I went out in the afternoon when it was pleasantly warm, if quite windy. Felt pretty good again. That little bit of zone 3 was, of course, when I was running up a steep hill

That strength routine is deceptive - I always think it's going to be easier than it actually is.

Thursday
off

Just being cautious

Friday
Easy: 4 miles (10:08), avg. HR 150, max 164, 100% Z1-2
total body strength

Really felt like I had finally turned a corner. Only a teeny bit of extra coughing afterwards. I had to dodge more crowds than I expected going from the Mall past the White House, but otherwise it was pretty nice run too.

My old NB 880s were making my feet hurt, so I decided it was time to switch to the Ghost 14s I got on sale last fall. The 880s had almost 400 miles on them, so not too bad. All good so far with the new ones.

The strength workout was new - I liked it. I don't have a kettlebell, but I used a dumbbell instead and it was fine.

Saturday
Easy: 5 miles (10:22), avg. HR 158, max 169, 91% Z1-2
core

It seems like everyone was having crappy weather on Saturday. The rain here did clear up around lunchtime, but it was still cool and WINDY. Like, I was significantly slower on the way back because I switched from having the wind at my back to in my face.

Other than the wind, I felt fine. My HR read a bit high compared to how I felt, so who knows whether it was off or just a weird day.

The core was another new video, and I liked the routine - it wasn't as hard as most of the longer core videos, but still a good workout. Amanda is definitely not my favorite host, though.

Sunday
Easy: 6.12 miles (10:07)
yoga

I squeezed a run in between a very exciting basketball game and taking my dog for his afternoon walk. It was about 47 and sunny, and I slightly regretted wearing leggings instead of shorts, but it was fine. I feel like the temps feel different in DC than in Orlando and I have to recalibrate my sartorial choices now.

I was running a little harder than I probably should have, but not as hard as my HR reading indicated - you know your measurements are off when they don't go down when you switch from running uphill to running downhill 🙃 So anyway, not sure about HR data for this one but also not too worried about it because I've been running easy for three weeks and working a little too hard on the hills one day isn't going to kill me.

Total
Running: 4h, 23.52 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 51m
Total: 5h 51m

1711329999609.png

Slowly making my way back.

Coming up
As you can see from my plan in the previous post, next week I am still taking it easy while getting back up to normal mileage.

Thoughts?
I'm sorry you lost so much time to illness! The best laid plans...

Since you asked for input: this adaptation makes a lot of sense to me, and follows the guidelines I've read in a couple of running books. You're making the right call to ease back into a training plan, and with a shorter-distance focus I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to hit your goals.

And WOW about those new training paces!!

In week 3 I will do a trial parkrun.
Are you thinking about the parkrun that is in Fletcher's Cove? I always see that one on schedules but haven't done it. Maybe we should have a mini meet-up at one of these, and then the rest of us can wave good-bye to you as you go zooming off?
It hasn't been very humid in DC yet this year.
Ok, now you've jinxed us! :rotfl2:

Are you thinking about the parkrun that is in Fletcher's Cove? I always see that one on schedules but haven't done it. Maybe we should have a mini meet-up at one of these, and then the rest of us can wave good-bye to you as you go zooming off?
Yes! (It was the potential for mud that gave it away, wasn't it 🤣) Meeting up would be super fun! If any of the dates I'm planning on doing it would work for you, let me know!

I am confident, though, that I will not be the fastest person there. This is DC, after all 😝

That year was pretty mild until late June. I'm hoping this year is the same.
Now you've really jinxed us 😂

Yes! (It was the potential for mud that gave it away, wasn't it 🤣) Meeting up would be super fun! If any of the dates I'm planning on doing it would work for you, let me know!
You know any trail race I run has the potential for mud, right? :)

Looks like you're thinking about April 13, May 11, June 8. Possibly the May or June one.

March 25 - 31, 2024
5K training week 1

In which I try to figure things out, and don't

1711926376815.png
This week's schedule

Monday
Easy: 5.09 miles (10:18), avg. HR 158, max 169
upper body strength

Did my strength training in the morning cause it was freezing outside. Good conditions in the afternoon though. I'm really not sure what's going on with my HR these days. My watch could be wrong, or I could be recovering still.

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 5.07 miles (9:53), avg. HR 159, max 174, 73% Z1-2
lower body strength

Right, so I was doing okay this time, effort-wise, and then people were terrible at sharing the sidewalk and generally existing in public. I don't WANT to be a misanthrope, but sometimes...😑

But anyway, I think I did like three strides, which was fun.

Did some strength with just a touch of plyo as I try not to do too much too quickly.

Wednesday
Easy: 4.82 miles (10:17), avg. HR 151, max 176, 95% Z1-2
core

I ran in the morning because even though it was chilly and rainy, it was supposed to be chilly and rainy in the afternoon too, so there wasn't much point in waiting.

It was gross.

Reasons why cold/rain is not a good combination:

- No matter how hard you try to avoid the puddles, your feet will get wet, and then you will be running in wet socks. Yucky.

- Gloves are useless because they will also get wet and then your hands are covered in wet fabric.

- Really just damp clothes are generally unpleasant.

Benefits of running when it is cold/wet:

- Fewer people

Because of the icky weather, when I got to the road crossing that was a little short of my scheduled turnaround, I just went "nope" and headed home. So not quite 5 miles. But I did get in a few strides once I remembered a third of a mile from home that I was supposed to be doing strides 😅

I actually used a 6lb weight on a couple of the core exercises this time. It went pretty well except that then I was VERY shaky on the T stabilizations at the end 🥴😂

Thursday
off

Friday
Easy: 5.23 miles (10:21), avg. HR 158, max 173, 76% Z1-2

Oof. I do not like running at rush hour. It is a mess.

Anyway, HR seems rather high again. And then later I came up with another theory: maybe my HR is just higher in the afternoon? The mornings have been chilly and I've been postponing my runs since I've been back in DC, but normally I'm a morning runner. Maybe?

Saturday
Easy: 8.46 miles (10:15), avg. HR 159, max 172, 81% Z1-2
total body strength/core

...Or not. Now I'm back to residual effects of illness and/or loss of fitness and/or hills. Sigh.

And apparently I needed a reminder that going anywhere near the Mall during cherry blossoms is a Bad Idea 😬

I did not get around to the strength training I was supposed to do on Friday, so I decided to combine it with Saturday's scheduled core workout.

It was hard 😵‍💫

I was not prepared for that 🙈

Sunday
Easy: 5 miles (10:09), avg. HR 151, max 164, 100% Z1-2
yoga

Well, okay, now it's fine again? I don't even know. Probably I should just stop overthinking things.

Anyway, I swapped Saturday and Sunday because I had Easter brunch plans and it would have been harder to fit in 8 miles. It was actually a really nice morning for running, and I felt good. Then had fun hanging out with friends at brunch and came home for dinner. I did yoga after dinner/walking the dog and had to go back and do the standing splits on the left because somehow Adriene skipped those? Lol. But it was good.

Totals
Running: 5h 44m, 33.69 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 56m
Total: 7h 40m

1711933844450.png
Weekly log

Well, my schedule is more or less back to normal, with mileage building back up.

Coming up
1711927966378.png
Next week's schedule

First workout in like a month...is hills 😱 Who thought this was a good idea again?

April 1 - 7, 2024
5K training week 2 of 12

In which I am ready for spring now

1712523320460.png
This week's schedule, in theory

Monday
Easy/strides: 5.29 miles (10:08), ??
upper body strength

I managed to run (a) in the morning and (b) not in a thunderstorm, the latter of which is more than I can say for walking the dog. Felt pretty good. HR seemed mostly normal except for being kind of cadence-locked (?) from like mile 3.5-4.5.

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 6.77 miles (9:37), avg. HR 157, max 176, 89% Z1-2
lower body strength/HIIT

Well, I was feeling extremely unmotivated for this run. I think it was the weather - damp and gray. Once I finally forced myself out the door, though, I was fine. I meant to swap Tuesday and Wednesday's runs, but my sleeve was covering my watch and I didn't look at it much, and I ended up running almost 7 miles 🫠 But I felt pretty good.

The strength was a new routine for me. I mostly liked it, but it was a little frustrating that she waited until the last 10 seconds of the rest interval to introduce the next exercise, because I was using weights and I needed the extra time to figure out what weight I should use.

Wednesday
Easy/strides: 4.52 miles (9:58), avg. HR 156, max 168, 96% Z1-2
core

Another gloomy day. The constant rain paused briefly and I rushed out the door to take advantage of it. Since I had gone farther than I planned on Tuesday, I figured I was okay to have a little shorter run, which was good because shortly after I turned around, the rain started to pick up again.

I did get some strides in, but my legs were numb and they weren't very good. I'm ready for spring now please.

Thursday
off

It was my puppy's gotcha day! We celebrated with lots of treats and snuggles 🥰

gotcha day snuggles.jpg
My dog laying on the couch with his feet against the backrest and his head on my lap

Friday
Hills: 2.32 mile WU/strides + 8 x 1 min hard-ish uphill/jog down (hammer 7) + 2.22 mile CD
Interval GAP: 7:49, 7:42, 7:39, 7:48, 7:56, 7:54, 6:10, 7:59
Total: 6.33 miles, avg. HR 162, max 181?

total body strength

1712523935471.png
Strava workout analysis chart (GAP)

My first workout in more than a month! I have a tendency to do hill repeats flat-out, which isn't always what I want, so especially for this first workout, I put "hard-ish" in there so I wouldn't die. Apparently I ended up around HM GAP, which seems kind of like it's underrepresenting the effort, but whatever. The GAP doesn't take into account that I was ALSO running into a headwind 😵‍💫

I originally had 6 reps in there, but then I figured, if I'm not running all-out, I could do a couple more. And after that I figured I'd try an idea I learned from Runners Connect, which is you do run all-out for a rep or two during the workout, but NOT the last one. The idea is that you have to find something left even after you've given your whole effort. So I did that on rep #7, and it was definitely my fastest by far, but 8 wasn't a total disaster.

I definitely observed some inconsistencies in the GPS data - I just ran up the same hill over and over, so when I ran farther but my watch said the distance was shorter (or vice versa), it was pretty clear it was a little off. I don't think it makes a huge difference overall; just know that the splits are therefore not exact.

Saturday
Easy: 6.07 miles (10:36), avg. HR 151, max 167, 99% Z1-2
core

I had to go out in the morning despite the cold and wind (again), so I did my core workout as a warmup. My core, at least, was quite toasty by the end 😅 And the wind was a bit rough, but the sun was finally out, so it wasn't too bad. I was feeling the fatigue from Friday - especially running uphill - but I survived.

Sunday
Long: 10.11 miles (9:33), avg. HR 159, max 169, 85% Z1-2
yoga

I started out a little fast because I was cold, and then I never really slowed down 😅 I felt pretty decent once I warmed up, though. I did have a moment after I turned around when I was like, "I can't believe I still have 5 miles left." Guess that's what happens when you don't do much for a month...

I had a GU and a UCAN gel, and I filled up my water about 4 miles in.

Then I came home, walked my dog, ate lunch, and took a nap 🥱

Total
Running: 6h 28m, 39.12 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 59m
Total: 8h 27m

1712537868694.png
Weekly training log

I am feeling closer to normal now. Also today was pretty nice, weather-wise, so hopefully spring is just about here to stay.

Coming up
1712537978608.png
Next week's schedule

The first of three scheduled parkruns. On reflection, it might actually be more than 10 miles with getting there and back...

Maybe it's just me and my beef with the weather, but reading your recap all I see are "cold", "rainy", "gloomy"....and "dog "(but I will always see dog!) I'm ready for the weather to warm up....until it gets too warm and I then want it to cool down!

Hoping my pooch makes it to his gotcha day. It's next month, and it would be 17 years since we rescued him. He is on his last legs now (Literally, and less so figuratively) but he hangs in.

Maybe it's just me and my beef with the weather, but reading your recap all I see are "cold", "rainy", "gloomy"....and "dog "(but I will always see dog!) I'm ready for the weather to warm up....until it gets too warm and I then want it to cool down!
Lol...I will happily complain about the heat/humidity in the summer, but I prefer that to cold or rain or the worst of both worlds, cold and rain at the same time.

Hoping my pooch makes it to his gotcha day. It's next month, and it would be 17 years since we rescued him. He is on his last legs now (Literally, and less so figuratively) but he hangs in.
Wow, 17 years! Rooting for him (and you)! 😍

April 8 - 14, 2024
5K training week 3 of 12

In which it is spring! And then kind of...summer?

1713135187650.png
This week's schedule

Monday
Easy: 5.37 miles (9:57), avg. HR 152?
upper body strength

Finally, some decent weather. I felt relaxed even after Sunday's 10 miles.

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 6.22 miles (9:39), avg. HR 157, max 181, 82% Z1-2
core

I feel like this run went fairly well. The reason I spent so much time in zone 3 was that once I started doing strides, my HR really didn't drop much again. I attribute this at least somewhat to most of that portion being uphill.

I swapped my usual core/lb strength days because of my meeting schedule, so I used this short workout as my warmup. I was glad I wasn't trying to register for MW because I had an important meeting at 10:30! That would have been a challenge 😬

Wednesday
Easy/strides: 7.34 miles (9:47), avg. HR 155, max 177, 87% Z1-2
lower body strength/HIIT

I was trying to take it extra easy because the past couple of days were a bit more effort than I was going for, and I did okay...for a couple of miles. Then the sun came out (thanks forecast that told me it was going to be cloudy all morning 😑) and it was warmer than I've run in since I got back to DC. Very much preferable to last week, but still an adjustment.

Possibly because of the higher temps, I had the same issue as Tuesday with my HR just staying high when I started to do my strides. Another part of that was probably continuing to run slightly uphill - it was the same route both days. In this case, though, I got the mixed blessing of getting stuck at a light for at least a minute, which at least gave me a chance to recover. I'm still not feeling particularly tired, so I don't think it's a huge deal. Probably my easy runs will slow down again naturally once I start doing more speedwork again.

The strength was tough! In a good way, though. (Unless you asked me during the 45s of jump squats or squat jacks, in which case I was just dying 🥵).

I also finally had a chance to try the Tracksmith Turnover Short Tights that I got essentially free thanks to the PR Bonus they're doing this spring (because $80 shorts will never be in my budget, even if I win the lottery). They were fine, but if I were actually spending $80 on a pair of shorts, I would want them to be amazing, and they definitely weren't. I followed the size guide on their website and ordered a medium, but I think I should have just gone with a small because they were a little loose. I had to tug the legs down sometimes even with the silicone on the inside. The waistband was also kind of scratchy. None of this would be worth mentioning if they were like $25 shorts, and since I didn't pay for them I'm happy enough with them. The material is nice and they dry really quickly, and although I haven't tried it on a run yet, the back pocket is plenty big enough to fit my phone - all good things. But if this is what $80 shorts are like, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Thursday
off

I remember nothing that happened. Oh wait, I got a free sandwich from Potbelly! That was good. I like Potbelly.

Friday
Easy/strides: 4.24 miles (10:08), avg. HR 160, max 177 (?)
total body strength

It was raining in the morning, so since I could run in the afternoon, that is what I did. (It was still windy, though.) I was trying to keep it pretty easy since Saturday was going to be kind of a lot, but I'm not sure how I did. (HR data is questionable.)

I was not really tapering for this particular parkrun, though, so I did use weights where applicable in the strength workout. Only later did it occur to me that I also don't usually do total body strength the day before a workout or long run, and Saturday was both, so maybe it was not my best idea... It still wasn't that hard, though 🤷‍♀️

Saturday
Parkrun: 4.48 mile WU/strides (10:15) + 5K @ 5KP (7:18) + 4.55 mile (10:43)
Total: 12.14 miles

yoga

My first parkrun! I left my house about an hour beforehand so I could run there, which turned out to be about 4.5 miles. Maybe a little longer warmup than I was hoping for. I tried to run pretty easy and did a few strides as I approached the start.

I got there about 10 minutes before the event was supposed to start, which gave me enough time to pop into the restroom and do a few drills. The volunteers were super nice - one woman was welcoming newbies and giving sort of an overview of the process, which I sort of knew from all of the British YouTube channels I follow but had never actually experienced, so that was good. There were, according to the results page, 66 participants and 13 volunteers there, which was a good crowd for the space but not too many to manage.

parkrun.jpg
Parkrun starting area

At 9 they did a bit of a welcome announcement and tried to get people to volunteer for upcoming runs (one guy eventually signed up). Then we lined up, one of the volunteers did a countdown, and we were off! 🏃‍♀️

The course is an out-and-back along the C&O Canal Towpath. Pretty much a pancake other than one small dip. The trail there is packed dirt/gravel, which isn't the speediest surface out there but is fairly stable. It can get muddy, but today the puddles were easy enough to dodge. No wet socks 🙌

The first few moments of the race were a bit messy, with 66 people trying to fit themselves onto a trail that's maybe three people wide. It sorted itself out fairly quickly, though, and then I was able to move at a good pace.

After being sick for three weeks and only being a couple of weeks back into training, I knew wasn't in the same shape I was for my Princess 10K PR, so I planned to aim for about that 10K pace (7:23) and see how that felt, hoping I might be able to speed up later in the race. The first mile felt fairly good, if getting a bit tougher by the end. That came in at 7:19 - so far so good.

The order was pretty static from where the initial jumble had sorted itself out. A little in front of me, I could see two guys, Gray Shirt and Reluctant Volunteer (though maybe not that reluctant, since I think his shirt said he had volunteered at 100 parkruns! 😮). I wasn't losing any ground to them, but I wasn't gaining any either. However, I didn't foresee myself being able to run much faster, so I didn't try to catch up with them. By the time we turned around at the halfway point, I was starting to hurt.

parkrun 367 turnaround.jpg
Photo from the turnaround point of me slowing to go around a cone with Gray Shirt and Reluctant Volunteer on the way back

Shortly after that, Gray Shirt started to pull away. I managed to catch up to Reluctant Volunteer, but I didn't have the energy left to pass him - I was doing everything I could just to hold onto my pace. Mile 2: 7:16.

With a little more than a mile to go. I felt like I was dying. 5Ks suck 🥵 My breathing was a mess, my legs hurt, and I kept telling myself, "Just one more mile." Then "Just three-quarters of a mile." "Just 0.6 miles." I was hanging onto my pace with my fingernails. (And my fingernails are pretty short.) Reluctant Volunteer, who I imagine was probably tired of hearing my ragged breathing behind him, started to pull ahead, but I couldn't go any faster. Finally, the finish came into sight right around the three-mile mark. Mile 3: 7:21.

I ran as fast as I could for the last 0.1 miles, which was apparently 6:54 pace, and staggered into the little finish "chute". One of the volunteers handed me a little plastic card, and at the end of the chute another volunteer scanned my parkrun barcode and took the card back. I guess that's how they track people's times without chips.

After that I just sort of leaned against a railing for a couple minutes while I remembered how to breathe. My legs still hurt. I went over to the water fountain to fill up my handheld, and then eventually forced myself into a cooldown jog home. (I think there was coffee afterwards, but I wasn't staying this time.)

My cooldown started off quite slow as my legs protested having to work again so soon. But they felt better after a few minutes. Unfortunately 4.5 miles was rather longer than they wanted to go, so by the time I got home they were pretty much trashed. 12 miles with an all-out 5K in the middle is maybe pushing the boundaries of my fitness right now 😬

You get an email from parkrun with your time a few hours after the event, so I had to wait a bit to get my official result. It came in around lunchtime at 22:43. I was 11th overall and 3rd female 👍 (The first two were about 12, though. Make of that what you will.)

I'm reasonably happy with that. It is a PR, officially at least, which wasn't much of a surprise since my last 5K was a year ago and kind of a mess. It's the most evenly split 5K I can remember running, so that's good. Unofficially, Strava says I actually ran a faster 5K DURING the Princess 10K (22:25), so I would have been more excited if I could have beaten that time. But I really didn't taper and I've only done one other workout since I was sick for most of March, so I'd say it's pretty good considering. And room to improve in parkruns #2 and 3!

1713141372355.png
Strava race analysis chart

Long run days are yoga days, so I did that. Today's video, ominously entitled "Strength", was a bit rough on my tired core muscles, but it was pretty short so it wasn't too bad.

Sunday
Easy: 5.47 miles (10:28), avg. HR 152, max 169, 97% Z1-2 (?)
upper body strength

I decided, given how tired I felt after the parkrun/long run on Saturday, that I did not need to run 7 miles on Sunday. 5 (and a half) was fine. I ended up actually feeling pretty good, but knowing that last time I got injured, it was on an easy run after a long run workout, I decided not to push it. It was warm but not unpleasant for an easy run.

I stopped at the farmers market on the way home, as I usually do on Sundays, and they had a new stand with ENORMOUS doughnuts. So of course I got one. It was delicious. I foresee many future post-run indulgences 🤤

farmers market doughnut.jpg
Me taking a bite of the giant doughnut

Actually, it was much easier to fit a 5 mile run into my Sunday morning than a long run. Maybe I should just switch all of my long runs to Saturdays... 🧐

Thinking about that, and because I had just given my core extra work on Saturday, I decided I would just do Monday's upper body strength instead. It's a good routine.

Total
Running: 6h 42m, 40.77 miles
Strength/mobility: 2h 23m
Total: 9h 6m

1713140453715.png
Strava weekly log

It was a big week! Parkrun was a great alternative to a race - would definitely recommend if you have one in your area. I'm looking forward to going back in a few weeks. (Speaking of which - I realized I messed up the dates on my schedule, so upcoming parkruns are actually May 18 and June 15, for @avondale and anyone else who might want to join!)

Coming up
1713140759545.png
Next week's schedule

I'm seriously considering just moving everything back a day so I can keep doing my long run on Saturday and, more importantly, a shorter run on Sunday. So don't be surprised if this changes. And tomorrow I'll be watching the Boston Marathon while I'm working! 🦄

ETA a photo from the parkrun

Last edited:
Congrats on the parkrun! There's one near me but I haven't been brave enough to go yet. Everyone here is so much faster than me.
I would say it's very welcoming to everyone! There were people with dogs, strollers, running, walking... You can also check the results for your local parkrun online if you want to see what the range of finishing times looks like.

I have been mulling what my best option is to deal with the parkrun being just slightly too far away for a normal warmup/cooldown. Mostly because I was very tired for the past couple of days (seems mostly better now though). So far I have come up with a few ideas:

1. Extend some of my long runs a bit and possibly add some speedwork in the middle for practice
  • Pro: Don't have to change my parkrun day strategy, and running is simplest way to get there
  • Con: Will probably still be pretty tired, and might have to make training adjustments
2. Bike partway to parkrun (There is a dock near the end of the Capital Crescent Trail, and then it's only a couple of miles to the parkrun, which is a much better WU/CD distance for a 5K)
  • Pro: Biking is faster and less tiring
  • Con: Having to carry a helmet for two miles each way because there's nowhere to leave it by the dock
3. Take the bus and then do a warmup when I get there
  • Pro: Could do whatever distance/time I want
  • Con: Would actually have to leave earlier, and the bus schedule is not very reliable on the weekend
I don't know. Right now I'm leaning towards #1, but if it's particularly hot I might opt for 2 or 3. Unless somebody has another idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter