Yikes! The $ rate is in freefall

I stand corrected (you sound just like my Dad :) )

i didn't mean to sound picky...
it's just that if it's that the pound is falling, it's reason to be upset...
bad economy or whatever..
if it's just that the dollar is getting stronger, then i don't have to feel bad...
it's not the pound, it's the dollar recovering ground it lost over the last year...

in other words, it makes me feel much better to view it as a strenghtening of the dollar rather than a weakening of the pound..:goodvibes

Code:
i didn't mean to sound picky...

I didnt think you were being picky, I just smiled, because whenever I say to my Dad (and he is 80, so I am no spring chicken) that the dollars rising (i.e. more dollars to the pound for our next trip), he always corrects me and says "no son, the dollar is actually falling".

Code:
i have just been to my local thomsons and for $150 is cost me £102

Isnt that only $1.47 to the pound?, havent seen it that low anywhere else.

It is, Its probably due to it being such a small transaction but its a very bad rate.

We have $2300 on our FairFX card and $650 in cash..the cash was at a rate of $2.4 to £1 (thanks to dh being in the forces and using the exchange in Iraq!!) and the currency on the card was at between $1.7 and $2 to £1.
I was going to change some more but am a bit reluctant...I reckon $3000 is plenty for us for 2 and a bit weeks, but then would rather have too much than not enough....do you reckon we should get more or leave a wedge in the UK account if/when we need it?

We pegged ours at 1.85 a few months back (for delivery next May) with Crown Currency. The financial news had then forecasted a gradual drop to 1.75 by December, but the price fell past this like a stone. These are unusual times.
Steve.

i dont see the point in worrying about something beyond my control, i certainly wont buy before i go in December, speculating on currencies is what causes all the problems in the money markets, i am glad the economy is strengthening in The USA even at 1.6 to the pound i am happy, i will just cut my cloth accordingly when i get there, prices will still be cheap

i dont see the point in worrying about something beyond my control, i certainly wont buy before i go in December, speculating on currencies is what causes all the problems in the money markets, i am glad the economy is strengthening in The USA even at 1.6 to the pound i am happy, i will just cut my cloth accordingly when i get there, prices will still be cheap

agree completly,as we bought our dvc at $1.60 thats the rate we use. if its better than that great for us
I can see it going down further -$1.50,as the $ is seen as a safe haven at moment and the obhama efect, but hopefully in a couple of years should pick up a bit,still good to us. down to $1.10 then would think twice about going then just go
Paulh

I agree too. We go in 2 weeks. Booked SeaWorld last week (our only off-resort day) Got 1.83 on my commission free credit card. I will be charging EVERYTHING to my room key and will still get a better rate than all the cash providers.

GB keeps on threatening that we are heading for a recession but IMHO, we have been in a recession for months! :confused3 Anyone else agree?

A couple of things to say.

Firstly, Wayne, think I mis-typed I could get 1.6574, not 1.7654; which I was seeing at 6.30 this morning- delusions I think! Managed 1.6574 from Travelex when everyone else around dropped quicker - seems Travelex are slow on the up take, or at least seem to be from my observations.

Without wanting to get too far off topic, got a couple of other opinions to make (as I usually do at 11.30 at night!)...

I think the US are ready for Obama as president, and the markets probably see him as a good thing. So, of he wins I think little will change - the $ will strengthen slightly. If McCain wins I think the markets will react badly and the $ will weaken, so anyone going on holiday pray for a Republican win;)

Just to pick up on dc's point - I think people who frequent this board do so to maximise their trip. Whether being by way of better accommodation or better exchange rates, that is one of the reasons they are here for, so they are expressing concerns/views on it.
Whilst people on here are trying the impossible by guessing what the rate will do, they are not speculating on it and neither are some of the firms that are widely quoted on these boards - they are simply using forward exchange contracts.

Surely it is safe to agree that visitors to WDW trying to make the best of their trip is not bringing down the World economy?

Didn't want to get too heavy but just thought I'd post my ramblings.

A couple of things to say.

Firstly, Wayne, think I mis-typed I could get 1.6574, not 1.7654; which I was seeing at 6.30 this morning- delusions I think! Managed 1.6574 from Travelex when everyone else around dropped quicker - seems Travelex are slow on the up take, or at least seem to be from my observations.

Without wanting to get too far off topic, got a couple of other opinions to make (as I usually do at 11.30 at night!)...

I think the US are ready for Obama as president, and the markets probably see him as a good thing. So, of he wins I think little will change - the $ will strengthen slightly. If McCain wins I think the markets will react badly and the $ will weaken, so anyone going on holiday pray for a Republican win;)

Just to pick up on dc's point - I think people who frequent this board do so to maximise their trip. Whether being by way of better accommodation or better exchange rates, that is one of the reasons they are here for, so they are expressing concerns/views on it.
Whilst people on here are trying the impossible by guessing what the rate will do, they are not speculating on it and neither are some of the firms that are widely quoted on these boards - they are simply using forward exchange contracts.

Surely it is safe to agree that visitors to WDW trying to make the best of their trip is not bringing down the World economy?

Didn't want to get too heavy but just thought I'd post my ramblings.

Very nicely put, totally agree!:)

Neil Cavuto, the business editor and anchor of the US Fox news, described the situation thus:

Our economy stinks ..... theirs is even stinkier ;)

By 'theirs' he meant us in Europe along with the rest of the world!

I agree with Boss Hogg that, short of any more surprises, if Obama wins, the dollar is likely to strengthen even if only temporarily.

well put boss hogg, of course i am not suggesting that those of us travelling to Orlando could affect the money markets just suggesting we should not worry, actually a weaker pound will assist our economy as foforeign companies will find it cheaper to invest and we should get more tourists from the US , if they can get over the fear of flying, i have actually worked it out very accurately, If i share my starter with DW and have 1 less beer per day and buy only 2 pairs of trainers , i wil have saved what we have lost in the exchange rates.

Sorry to sound really thick....:confused3

If i want to change some money now - wheres the best place to do it ( I would prefer to do it online or over the phone.

Thanks
Kx

Out of interest, this morning I purchased $1000 cash at the local Co-op Travel (no commission), and my total cost was £644.83. Around £100 more than it would have cost before the summer.

But that's OK. We're going to Disney! :cool1:

I fear exchange rate will follow interest rates, historically this has happened before, we have been rather spoiled at 2$ per pound.

US government will probably do something stupid to help with a bit of luck

Went into the poat office and it was $1.52 :scared1: I wish I had got some on monday.It was $1.62.Think I will havw to buy soon as going in 6 weeks and don't want to get any lower than 1.60 if I can help it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter