Yards Without Fences

sorcerormickey

DIS Veteran
OK, I need some help here - I am completely baffled!

Currently, I live in an "old-style" neighborhood, where every yard is fenced in. Easy to plan garden beds next to the fences!;)

Well, in the fall, we will be moving to sunny Florida in a new neighborhood with no fences!:eek: :eek: I am at a loss as to planning my garden!

I do not want complete beds around the whole yard (a la with-fence style), but I would like some privacy from my neighbors, especially along the back of the property. So, I have beds planned all along the house itself, and something along the back property line, but where else? How do you make a bed fit in without it looking like you just 'plopped' it there?

What have your experiences been with no-fence landscaping? Please share!

Originally posted by sorcerormickey
.......How do you make a bed fit in without it looking like you just 'plopped' it there?........
If I knew the answer to that, I could make a living as a landscaper. Can you get ideas from looking at garden magazines? Starting with a clean slate to some is a blessing, to me it would be a nightmare. I wish you gardening smarts in planning your new gardens and I wish you love, health and wealth in your new Florida home.

Moving to Florida???? Lucky you, Sorcerormickey!! :sunny:

Like Tulirose, starting with a clean slate would be a challenge to me also. Not a nightmare..lol...but a challenge for sure!! :)

I'd be tempted to wait a bit, get settled, watch the sun and shadows play upon the yard, before I did too much. I'd check out the neighbourhood too, see how others have handled the "no fence" issue. You might find some good ideas that way, also perhaps, some new friends willing to share some cuttings and seeds! ;) :)

This is really a fabulous opportunity for you to enjoy all kinds of new exotic plants you may not have been able to grow before. Vines, Mock Orange shrubs, all kinds of grasses, palms. Sounds wonderful!! :)

Below is a link to a site for Florida gardeners that might help you get started. :) I think you'll find it to be a very valuable resource.

~Floridata~

Thanks Buds!:sunny: :sunny: And Snow - that website is way helpful! ::yes::

I am just so anxious to get this house built so I can go play in the yard! I can't wait to actually have a PALM TREE!!!!!:teeth:

From Michigan to Florida~ YOU, girl, are going to have some lifestyle changes!!!! Lucky you! ::yes::

Go to Gardenweb.com. You will find the forums on Florida gardening, tropicals and many, many more helpful and interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter