Yak & Yeti - Won't Go Back

ccigliano

DVC Member WLV
I just returned from a week long trip and decided to try out some new restaurants. We dined at the Yak and Yeti when we visited the Animal Kingdom and the food was overpriced with very small portions. We ordered the Tamarind Chicken ($18.99) and the one and only chicken breast looked like it came from a hummingbird - OK I'm exaggerating but you get the picture. We then got an ice-cream scoop full of rice and another scoop of root vegetables. While the dish tasted OK, there really should have been more chicken and rice on the plate. In addition, you don't get any noodles or bread at the table like you would at most Disney table service restaurants at the beginning of your meal. They also do not accept the Disney Dining Experience or now Tables in Wonderland discount card. So while it's nice to try out new places - you can keep this one off your list and head somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. It was one of our favorite meals in September. I had the sweet and sour pork and DH had the duck--we had large portions. Our friends had the shrimp and steak and I believe they had at least five shrimp and a nice size piece of meat. We plan on going back unless it is not on the DP which rumor has it may not be.

Sorry Y&Y isnt for you but we went in June and loved our meal there....we had the steak and shrimp and the ribs and the portions were huge!

I dont know of any Asian place that offers bread and the noodles are always greasy so who wants those? Even PF Changs doesnt offer either of these.

Sorry Y&Y isnt for you but we went in June and loved our meal there....we had the steak and shrimp and the ribs and the portions were huge!

I dont know of any Asian place that offers bread and the noodles are always greasy so who wants those? Even PF Changs doesnt offer either of these.
I don't know of any Asian restaurant the serves bread either, I'm sure Nine Dragons doesn't either.

When I ate there, I found the portions to be quite large, and I wasn't able to finish my entree.

Well, I'm glad you all enjoyed it but maybe with the economy portion size took the hit. And I wasn't implying that they should serve bread:rotfl: but rather those chinese type crunchy noodles that you dip in the sweet and sour sauce or the hot mustard. Most Disney restaurant offer you some type of bread, rolls or breadsticks before you meal. Unfortunately, I felt that my money could have been better spent elsewhere and since we weren't doing the DDP this time - I was actually hungry for dinner;). The food was tasty - just not much there. Thanks for listening.

Well, I'm glad you all enjoyed it but maybe with the economy portion size took the hit. And I wasn't implying that they should serve bread:rotfl: but rather those chinese type crunchy noodles that you dip in the sweet and sour sauce or the hot mustard. Most Disney restaurant offer you some type of bread, rolls or breadsticks before you meal. Unfortunately, I felt that my money could have been better spent elsewhere and since we weren't doing the DDP this time - I was actually hungry for dinner;). The food was tasty - just not much there. Thanks for listening.
I love those little crunchy noodles.

I'm glad that most of the reviews have been encouraging, but I'll be watching closely to see if it makes the DDP. My FIL won't be happy to know they don't take the Dining Experience Card, I bet.

I'm sorry your meal wasn't more satisfying - I wouldn't be happy with tiny portions, either.

We were pleasantly surprised last month. We had lunch there. The won ton soup serving was generous as was the Chinese chicken salad. Both were quite tasty.

DH and I decided we'd go back -- but at a less busy time than right during lunch. There aren't too many restaurants other than the signature restaurants we even bother with anymore, so I hope it isn't declining rapidly!

This is one of our favorites, too. Love the prawn crisps with peanut sauce appetizer and the fried wonton dessert :goodvibes DD (22) and I both really liked the Pho and found the portion sizes more than generous. :thumbsup2

Never tried the Tamarind chicken, so that may be different... but this is one ressie we are really looking forward to next month! :banana:

I just returned from a week long trip and decided to try out some new restaurants. We dined at the Yak and Yeti when we visited the Animal Kingdom and the food was overpriced with very small portions. We ordered the Tamarind Chicken ($18.99) and the one and only chicken breast looked like it came from a hummingbird - OK I'm exaggerating but you get the picture. We then got an ice-cream scoop full of rice and another scoop of root vegetables. While the dish tasted OK, there really should have been more chicken and rice on the plate. In addition, you don't get any noodles or bread at the table like you would at most Disney table service restaurants at the beginning of your meal. They also do not accept the Disney Dining Experience or now Tables in Wonderland discount card. So while it's nice to try out new places - you can keep this one off your list and head somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.
It's off our list, too! Maybe it's that tamarind chicken...blech!

Sorry you didn't like it. I haven't eaten there but I'm truly surprised to hear about your experience with portion size. All the photos I have seen seemed pretty generous to me.

My DBF and I won't be going back there either. We had horrid service from our waiter. It was like we were forgotten about most of the time we were there. Our food was average, nothing great. I've had better Pho noodles here at home. I can't remember what else we had. The only decent thing there was the mango pie and you can get that outside at the CS place.

I agree with the OP and Honugirl. Service was horrid and food nothing to write home about. The counter service part had better food for way less money.

On the bread issue - at Captain Jacks, we were told Disney has stopped serving bread, for "healthy eating" . Expletive deleted! I watch my diet every other day off the year, I don't want to hear my vacation resort dictating what I can and can't have to eat!

I agree with the OP and Honugirl. Service was horrid and food nothing to write home about. The counter service part had better food for way less money.

On the bread issue - at Captain Jacks, we were told Disney has stopped serving bread, for "healthy eating" . Expletive deleted! I watch my diet every other day off the year, I don't want to hear my vacation resort dictating what I can and can't have to eat!
Does anyone know if this is true, I was served bread with many of my meals, and this was just in October.

We had a GREAT meal there. I had the mahi mahi and it was about an inch thick and probably 4 X 6 inches at least, it had a great sweet and sour sauce on it. I also had the wonton dessert that was very good.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a poor experience at Y&Y. DH and I dined at this location for lunch last Friday, Dec. 12, and found the portion sizes to be huge!

DH ordered the broccoli beef and had an overflowing plate of beef with large pieces of broccoli and a very large serving of jasmine rice. I ordered the Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp and the portion was huge! The skirt steak was easily 3/4" thick and about 8" long. This was wrapped around a large pile of jasmine rice (easily a 1 cup serving) along with five LARGE tempura shrimp and a healthy serving of stir-fried veggies that I was too full to even touch! Our appetizers were quite large as well and the dessert was more than enough to share.

While the food was plentiful, it wasn't particularly authentic or even very good. We live in California and have access to excellent Asian food and did not think that Y&Y measured up. This was just little things like the Jasmine rice being served instead of sticky rice, etc.

I will say that I was the most disappointed with the service at this restaurant but it was not bad by any means. I just found them to be hostile towards DDP customers. It sounds as though your chicken dish might be a dud in terms of size when measured against other menu offerings.

Does anyone know if this is true, I was served bread with many of my meals, and this was just in October.

We were served some type of bread at nearly every meal we ate and this was just last week. That server at Capt. Jack's was speaking out his nether regions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter