WOW - I just sold my old gold........

Like I have been saying lately, sentimentality holds no monetary value, precious metals do. With that said, if one believes that they will not be able to live with themselves if they sell their gold, etc. then one will be correct. And I strongly suggest in an event such as that, do not sell it, until you will not regret it. For once it is melted down, the music is over. Now, if you sell your jewelery as such, then there will always be an opportunity to buy it back.

I thought I'd bump up the thread - and as I was reading back - this stuck out!

I have a few pieces I'm debating on -

but with gold at 1800 maybe I can hold on to them a bit longer! (one is dh's class ring - he gave it to me over 35 years ago! sentimental? lol) I saw on one of the morning shows the back of an earring came to $51 :scared1:

I needed the name of the place that was getting the most, and least - so thanks for all the reports - there is a gold fellows not far from here...

How much do you think and old necklace with three gold charms on it would be? Worth selling?

How much do you think and old necklace with three gold charms on it would be? Worth selling?

earlier in the thread someone said they went to the mall, or a jewelry store for an estimate, then they plugged that estimate into gold fellows site - (because you need to know specific weight)

http://www.goldfellow.com/sell-my-gold-charms.aspx

see how that works - this is the site most went to correct?

I sent my gold to USGB yesterday and am waiting for the call. They have had it since 10:09am... I'm having a hard time being patient!

I, too, sent my gold to USGB yesterday and just got the call back. $782.96 I had brought into local jeweler and was offered $428 so I am pretty happy. I chose to have check mailed to me rather than pay the Paypal or wire fees so I can't give 100% satisfaction yet, but the process couldn't have been easier.

By the way, it was a 14k gold charm bracelet, 3 prs hollow 14k earrings and my 10k class ring, along with an old diamond chip ring.

...wanted to bump this up....

I have old jewlery from my Grandmother-it wasn't hers, she inheirited it, and hated it. I have two heavy bracelets, one is called a panther bracelet, it's very old. The other is really cool, it's very intricate, and I've worn them both often. Together they are about 4 oz, so I think that would convert to around 3.64 troy oz (?)

I could always use the money. Especially right now. I'm slightly torn about selling them, and family keeps telling me I should keep them because they are nice. But I don't really have any emotional attachment to them, other than they're nice pieces of jewlery. BUT, gold prices are really high right now.

Suggestions?

If your grandmother inherited the pieces, they might very well be worth more as antique jewelry than for melt-down gold. See if you can find an antique store that handles old jewelry, and talk to them. Investigate a LOT before you sell them to be melted down.

I finally got around to selling my unwanted gold this week. It was truly unusable or unused stuff--three or four broken chains, a handful of earrings without mates, charms from the 80s--like "Sweet Sixteen" and "Class of," and a couple of thin, dented, broken bangles.

I went to a storefront in my local strip mall and they offered me $497 for the gold. When I said I was going to think about it, they offered me $550. I sent the package to Gold Fellows on Monday afternoon and got a call from them yesterday afternoon. They offered me $640 and said I'll get the check in the mail in four days.

So I have a little extra Christmas money in exchange for stuff that I will in no way miss.

I sent some stuff in to USGB on Saturday. I used the USPS because I don't think I'll meet the requirements for the free FedEx. Although maybe I should have tried it and risked the $20 shipping fee since the insurance, confirmation and 2-day Priority ended up coming to $13.55. :confused3 The package is on track to arrive today. I guess I'll get my call tomorrow.

I sent in the following:
A chunky (but light) bracelet that I believe is 10K
A 14K light chain and small heart pendant w/ a diamond chip
A nickle-sized fat heart charm (probably gold plate)
A ring
Another light chain (broken)
A sterling chain
A large pendant (no idea what it is made of)
3 pairs of earrings
1 gold earring stud and back (the pearl came off)
1 diamond post earring

So, I sent in a variety. I brought it all to the mall and most was rejected. The kiosk guy was only interested in the bracelet, one chain and one pair of earrings. He offered me $140 for them. I have no idea what USGB will say but I'll be pleased as punch if they go over $200. Wish me luck!

I sent some stuff in to USGB on Saturday. I used the USPS because I don't think I'll meet the requirements for the free FedEx. Although maybe I should have tried it and risked the $20 shipping fee since the insurance, confirmation and 2-day Priority ended up coming to $13.55. :confused3 The package is on track to arrive today. I guess I'll get my call tomorrow.

I sent in the following:
A ring
A sterling chain
3 pairs of earrings
1 diamond post earring

So, I sent in a variety. I brought it all to the mall and most was rejected. The kiosk guy was only interested in the bracelet, one chain and one pair of earrings. He offered me $140 for them. I have no idea what USGB will say but I'll be pleased as punch if they go over $200. Wish me luck!

Can't wait to hear what you get!! Also, you could've sent it fed ex. It doesn't matter if you only have one piece, fed ex will take it! Good luck:thumbsup2

I sent in the following:
A ring
A sterling chain
3 pairs of earrings
1 diamond post earring

Woo-hoo! Henry from USGB just called. My check will be for $379.29! I'm thrilled. :woohoo::woohoo:

Woo-hoo! Henry from USGB just called. My check will be for $379.29! I'm thrilled. :woohoo::woohoo:

That's great! I got my check today, as promised. AND the envelope included a ten percent referral bonus if I refer someone else to sell their gold.

I'm sure this is somewhere in the thread but can you link me to the "USGB" or tell me what it stands for? This sounds like a GREAT way to earn some money for our trip!!!!

My dh ran sone things to a local pawn for scrap. They said $190. He didn't get the weight. We are doing one more check locally, just because I want to see how close these two are, then we are sending it in. Any preference gold fellows or usgb? I think he got completely low balled there are like 7 rings. 10k, 14k, 2 18k. I may send two different packages in bec, I also have broken chains he didn't take.

Just wanted to post my experience and bump this thread for anyone who is looking for some extra cash. I first came across this thread last year and stumbled across it again this weekend in my subscriptions.

I packaged up my items and dropped them off at FedEx Saturday at 1. They arrived to USGB today at 11am. At 5pm tonight I got a call with my offer - $704!

I sent in 6 rings - nothing too heavy a couple of bands that I removed the stones from, 2 thin bracelets, 3 necklaces with pendants and a set of earrings.

I am so excited they were items I would have never worn again and there was no sentimental value. Disney Dream here we come...going to use that money to purchase our plane tickets and maybe lunch at Cindy's castle for my princess and I during our pre cruise WDW stay!

eta: I had the money in my paypal account less than 20 minutes after speaking with Steve at USGB! There was a fee, I think they ended up depositing $682.

Thanks for posting! I have been thinking about sending some things in, but I want the stones out of them as well. How did you get the stones out? Did you take them to a jeweler to have them removed?

The first one I used a kitchen knife to pull back the prong, then I found a pair of needle nose pliers and used those. It was pretty easy. Good luck!

I am preparing to send a few items in today. I noticed on the USBG website that they have a referral program. If you have used them before and want to give me your referral number I'd be happy to use it and have them send you $25. I get the same amount either way...

I didn't read this whole thread but I have some stuff I need to sell. I have 3 rings. 1 is CZ but the gold is real. 18K I think but then I have my old wedding ring that does have diamonds and an emerald ring. Do you HAVE to take out the stones? I am assuming if you don't you don't get anything for the stones anyway right? Also how does the payment work? If I took it to a local gold place do they give you cash or a money order?I would hate to give them my stuff and get a check that I am not sure will go through. TIA for any info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter