Would you wear 2 grooms hats (or bride's?)

carolina_yankee

DIS Veteran
DP and I are having a Disneymoon following our NJ Civil Union in the fall. We've been together 14 years, so it's a wonderful thing to be able to celebrate as both NJ and WDW broadened their policies at about the same time!

Anyway - I'm trying to feel my way around over how open to be at Disney. We've actually registered at the Disney Honeymoon site. After a few glitches, tech services called to say they're still trying to update their software to accommodate same-gender couples, but she was very friendly.

When I made ressies for Victoria & Albert's, they weren't phased at the least that a couple with two obviously masculine names were celebrating their honeymoon there.

Now, I haven't noted it on our DVC ressies, and I'm pondering over whether we would actually wear the Mouse-ears grooms hats that friends want to give us. I'm partly leery of someone at Disney making false assumptions about the gender of the couple they acknowledge with their cards and baskets and such, and partly leery over freaking people out with two grooms hats.

Oddly, while we're doing the civil stuff in a blue-collar NJ town and in our church (while our denomination is still struggling with full inclusion) Disney is where I'm worried about pushing the envelope. Any comments, encouragement, observations?

Thanks!
Dirk

I hope you go for it! You don't say when you're going...but if I see you there I'll be sure to wish you the best!

We'll be there 9/23 - 10/5 - a nice long trip.

In some ways, this is like another coming out! Geesh, you'd think I'd be done with that by now. :)

Dirk

Don't worry about it! I see same-sex couples with the hats on in the parks all the time. At worst, you'll probably get good responses from the cast members LOL

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
...and my suggestion would be GO FOR IT!!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 but having said that, only you know how much your feelings would be hurt if some knuckle-dragging guest says something rude. Thankfully though, the official policy is now one of INCLUSION -- so I'm thinkin' Disney will be treating you like any other new couple in love. :love: :love:
CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!

We went to WDW shortly after we were legally married here in Massachusetts. We were talking to a CM and mentioned we were on our honeymoon as we were just married. Without batting an eye she said CONGRATULATIONS and she seemed sincerely happy for us. She gave us buttons to wear that let other CMs know we were celebrating something and they all went out of their way to make us feel special.

CONGRATULATIONS and wear the hats. Let the World know how happy you are. And who cares if you freak someone out.

We went to WDW shortly after we were legally married here in Massachusetts. We were talking to a CM and mentioned we were on our honeymoon as we were just married. Without batting an eye she said CONGRATULATIONS and she seemed sincerely happy for us. She gave us buttons to wear that let other CMs know we were celebrating something and they all went out of their way to make us feel special.

CONGRATULATIONS and wear the hats. Let the World know how happy you are. And who cares if you freak someone out.

Yes!! Don't forget to get a pair of the "Just Married" buttons from a CM! They have them at the resorts or at guest relations.

CONGRATULATIONS! :banana:

Ya, I'd probably get the hats, and take a ton of pics!:cool1:

Congrats :thumbsup2
My thinking is if Disney is welcoming of same-sex couples as a rule in their business practice, then go for it. If you to get looks from people, educate them and be an upstanding example for them in the future :-)

Heck yeah! Wear the hats!

I'm looking forward to wearing them during the weekend leading up to our Disney commitment ceremony!

Congratulations on your long term relationship! Best Wishes in your new union. I hope that you go on to have wonderful years together!

Wear the hats! Wear the buttons! Wear the t-shirts! (I saw a couple with "Just Married in Massachusetts" t-shirts recently).

Your union is strong. It's dignified and it deserves to have the public acknowledgement of any such union whether it be called a marriage or a civil union.

Have a wonderful Honeymoon!

I think it is awesome! Seeing you both in grooms hat would definately put a smile in my heart. Like anywhere else I am sure you will have the few idiots but I think it should not put a damper on your day. I agree wear the hats get the pins etc. Congrats to you both! :goodvibes:

DP and I are having a Disneymoon following our NJ Civil Union in the fall. We've been together 14 years, so it's a wonderful thing to be able to celebrate as both NJ and WDW broadened their policies at about the same time!

Anyway - I'm trying to feel my way around over how open to be at Disney. We've actually registered at the Disney Honeymoon site. After a few glitches, tech services called to say they're still trying to update their software to accommodate same-gender couples, but she was very friendly.

When I made ressies for Victoria & Albert's, they weren't phased at the least that a couple with two obviously masculine names were celebrating their honeymoon there.

Now, I haven't noted it on our DVC ressies, and I'm pondering over whether we would actually wear the Mouse-ears grooms hats that friends want to give us. I'm partly leery of someone at Disney making false assumptions about the gender of the couple they acknowledge with their cards and baskets and such, and partly leery over freaking people out with two grooms hats.

Oddly, while we're doing the civil stuff in a blue-collar NJ town and in our church (while our denomination is still struggling with full inclusion) Disney is where I'm worried about pushing the envelope. Any comments, encouragement, observations?

Thanks!
Dirk

I normally don't post here, but saw the title and wanted to post.:goodvibes
First Congratulations, Its a wonderful thing being married (at times ;) )
Second, I would wear the hats. You are at the happiest place on Earth. If people have a problem with that they are showing their immaturity and insecurity. As I have told others , If all I had to worry about was others, my life would be a bed of roses.

Again Congrats!!!!

Check out my icon. Does that answer your question?

And hey, we'll be there at the same time as you! So you'll be guaranteed at least one (make that two) big happy smiles if we see y'all with your matching ears :)

Well, I think I've gotten the encouragement I needed! Man thanks.

Look for two guys from Jersey in two grooms hats around the parks in late September!! Actually, we'll probably just wear them at signature moments (arrival, first day at parks, etc.) - not big on hats, but how could I pass up this opportunity to celebrate!

Dirk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter