would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ds(14) is a sometimes picky eater and I was worried about him finding something he liked at BOG for lunch. I showed him the menu today and he said nothing sounds good but he still wants the experience of going there as do the rest of the family. I was thinking of having him grab something from some other QS place right before and bringing it with us to BOG but idk if that would be frowned upon? If nothing else I guess he could eat his meal first and then maybe just get a dessert with us at BOG.

If it was my family I would have him do qs first (maybe a pizza) and then order him a drink in there and have the family all eat dessert together (if that is okay with him). That way you don't have to transport food. I understand the situation. Fwiw, we went to BOG for breakfast last year and my son didn't eat any of his food. It was a big waste of money. Cute place, but you are right to not want to pay for food you know he isn't going to eat.

I completely understand about pickiness...

Here's my 2'cents worth..

QS at WDW is not like running through a drive thru everything is on trays, so no bags or containers to carry it in. The chances of it being remotely warm by the time you sit down and get your food is basically zero. So if its cold will he still eat it? With the crowds, I personal would not want my kids food exposed, and with the crowds will it even make it that far without something spilling or getting knocked off the tray.

The kids menu has meatloaf, grilled shrimp or chicken, slow cooked pork with or without sauce, grilled cheese, fries, and carved turkey sandwiches, turkey noodle soup, macaroni & cheese.. on the Adult menu - Braised pork with or without sauce same entrée as on the kids menu just with different wording, Prime chuck roast beef sandwich, Vegetable Quiche, and a variety of Nicoise Salad, either Chicken or Tuna, with or without eggs..

Wording can throw things off... description are quite wordy and more technical that needed. such as Pommes Frites - French fries, Haricot Vert - green beans. So you can break it down for him or have him do it, he might be more receptive to trying something new.

You could all eat at a quick serve, then head to BOG just for dessert, this way the family can all eat together, food will be hot and everyone will enjoy it. Yes it does take up more time that you could be touring, but its really about what works for your family.

For our family and how we handled it. Our DD was a fairly picky eater at this age, but we let her know that she and her pickiness did not trump the family plans. At some point you can't let their pickiness take over, and let them think that everyone will always make concessions for them. What does he do when at friends homes.. does he say I don't like it, and expect the host or hostess to make something that he will like.... Or ..... does he just make the best of it and eat what is offered? This is something that we made sure our DD's understood, that when at someone's else home, birthday party, sleepover, pool party, sporting event... that they needed to be able to find something that they can/want/will eat, and its their responsibility, and using their best manners when doing it. This is a skill that will be much needed in the real world.

At this age it seems at times that you can't fill them up, like they have hollow legs or something. So you can expect in a hour or so he is going to be starving either way.

Have a magical vacationpixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I think you do what works for your family. If others don't mind the wait, he goes and grabs something. As we just booked ourselves, I'm sure you're paying way too much for anyone in the family to be unhappy and let a small issue like this negatively impact your day. This is a case of Disney Rules. In Disney Rules everyone gets to feel special and families get along and support one another. Magical. Your son gets to eat a lunch that he likes and everyone else gets to have the experience that they want too.

BTW... Brining a ziplock bag may be a good idea. Would hate to see his food spill on the way. That would not be so magical.

Some pretty judgmental responses on here, wow.

Your question was can you bring in food from another QS location or is rude/weird. Others have already confirmed that you can in fact do it, but I concur with the concerns about the logistics of carrying a meal from one QS location into BOG and how cold it would get. As for rude/weird, if I'm being honest, I would find it a bit weird and I wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself, but that's me. If it doesn't bother you and it's allowed, then I'm not going to pass judgement on it, it has no affect on me.

With all that said, in your shoes, I think I would opt to have the 14 yo eat a QS first and then have a drink or dessert with the rest of the family at BOG. I think that's a super easy compromise and makes everyone happy.

All the haters on the picky eaters....man!! :eek: I'm glad my parents weren't under any of these impressions!! I have been a picky eater my entire life (I'm 27....and still a picky eater). I've been forced to eat foods and literally gagged them back up....it's not just a preference....it ain't going down if I don't like it! (Trust me, I've tried! Once you become an adult, people are really unimpressed by it.....like all the people on this board) That being said, like your son, I really wanted to experience BOG and lunch was our best option. I agree with what someone said about really looking at the descriptions on the menu. At first glance, I assumed there was nothing I would like, but ended up with the Croque Monsieur as plain as I could get it (ie....just ham and cheese) with fries. It was excellent for this picky eater! I agree that it would be hard to get food from a different restaurant to BOG, just because of logistics. Maybe he could eat some fries and a dessert there and then just pick up a snack later??? That's just maybe something I would do if I didn't want to miss out on the meal. My parents never let my pickiness make decisions on restaurants, but they did always try to make some accommodations for me, once it was obvious that force feeding me green beans was not in their best interests. :rotfl2:

I have a 14yo DS as well, and I know how he eats just as you know how YOUR son eats as his mother. My DS wouldn't like any of the lunch food at BOG either. No, he doesn't eat turkey and ham sandwiches, doesn't like cheese unless it's on pizza, and doesn't eat onion soup…JUDGE away! LOL! Honestly, if you want to bring in food to BOG and have him eat it there with you, it'll be such a non-issue. Of course, you'll have to worry about the logistics of getting it there hot, etc, but that wasn't your question.

My best friend sons basically lived on Bacon and cheese toasted sandwiches but with A cheese hater it's difficult...

Speaking as someone with a VERY PICKY eater.. I hear ya..
I would go to BOG first and he can not eat anything if he doesn't want anything and then grab him something after the fact. He might nibble on some of your food and decide he wants some??

We ate Lunch at BOG once, I can't remember what my picky eater ate but I do recall he ordered something simple like chicken strips and frys??? but to be honest, I can't really remember.

Last edited:
I have been able to get To Go containers at Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays (both of those were last Sept). I have also taken food into BOG for my son. We were not given any odd looks nor was anything said. Do what you need to do in order to enjoy your vacation. As others have said, your son's food may be cool by the time you are sat but if he is OK with that then there shouldn't be a problem. Also, you may consider grabbing something from the resort in the morning that can serve to tide him over through lunch and let him get a snack later or even just ordering him French fries at BOG and getting him a snack later.

Jeez, I just love all of the judgment, parenting "advice", and remarks about how she should dine elsewhere. None of which the OP asked for! Its a simple question...do they or do they not allow outside food! OP to answer your question, as a few others have stated, you can bring in food if you wish. No questions asked. Your son can order a drink and cupcake and be merry. I think its a perfectly fine solution for a picky eater who may not like the menu.

Wow, you guys. I am somewhat shocked at how so many of you have left such unfriendly, unhelpful, and judgmental responses here. It's kind of disappointing! We're typically a real friendly bunch around here.

My ds(14) is a sometimes picky eater and I was worried about him finding something he liked at BOG for lunch. I showed him the menu today and he said nothing sounds good but he still wants the experience of going there as do the rest of the family. I was thinking of having him grab something from some other QS place right before and bringing it with us to BOG but idk if that would be frowned upon? If nothing else I guess he could eat his meal first and then maybe just get a dessert with us at BOG.

I know that BOG's menu can be a tough one if you don't like the hot items or if you're not into sandwiches - my teenagers are not typically picky eaters anywhere, but they had a hard time deciding what to order at BOG. While I'm sure that you won't have an issue bringing something else into the restaurant for your son, you could also take a look at their kids' menu. Often times, restaurants will make a larger portion of something on the kids' menu and charge you a few bucks more for it. I've done this myself at Table Service restaurants, so I'm not quite certain that BOG would do it, but it's always worth it to ask the question because you never know.

I don't recommend skipping the restaurant at all - it's gorgeous and if you're a Beauty and The Beast fan like me, it's not-to-be-missed!

I hope you enjoy your trip, OP! :goodvibes

My sons do this somewhere every time we go. No one cares, so do not worry at all!

We hear how CMs are never supposed to reprimand a guest, even if they are climbing on tables, as long as they are 'having fun'. But a kid wants to bring a hamburger from a different CS location and people have a fit. I just do not understand this at all!

To answer the title of the thread: would this be allowed/rude/weird???

1) I have no idea if it's allowed
2) I think it's rude. I would never take food into a restaurant (Disney or otherwise) unless it was for a baby.
3) I think it's weird. See #2

Wow, you guys. I am somewhat shocked at how so many of you have left such unfriendly, unhelpful, and judgmental responses here. It's kind of disappointing! We're typically a real friendly bunch around here.

you could also take a look at their kids' menu. Often times, restaurants will make a larger portion of something on the kids' menu and charge you a few bucks more for it.

I don't recommend skipping the restaurant at all - it's gorgeous and if you're a Beauty and The Beast fan like me, it's not-to-be-missed!

I hope you enjoy your trip, OP! :goodvibes
Well said! :goodvibes

Or you could all go to a place where everyone in the family likes the menu.
Ha...I know how hard this is. We are family of 5 and often go to WDW with extended family and what you say to do is impossible for us.

Not sure if this advice was given already but OP's son can order off the kid menu but they charge an upcharge to make it an adult entree from what I have heard. i'd go that route. When we ate at BOG we waited 45 minutes to be seated and then another hour to get our food so his CS brought in would be cold and icky.

You can always decide n the spot? Once your son is in the restaurant, he can take a second look to see if he likes anything? If not, then he could probably dash out with a parent to grab something from a QS location close by to bring into BOG while the others settle and wait for food. (that way food would be warmer) Or, he could eat a little off your plates (like fries maybe?) during the meal and get him something after? I guess this would work only if you have an early lunch reservation though. It's always stressful thinking about what our children can eat, whether it is 2 or 20! Enjoy your vacation! :)

The only thing my picky eating DD4 would have tried at BOG was the turkey sandwich so that's what we ordered her...and of course she didn't like it at all (thicker turkey than she likes, different bread, etc) so I was very glad I had brought some of her "usual eats" in my purse. No one blinked an eye when I pulled a single-serve container of cereal out of my purse and she ate that for lunch while we enjoyed our BOG eats. Don't let the folks being "judgie" on here get to you - do what works for your family and enjoy the BOG atmosphere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter