Would it be selfish?

VACAMPER

<font color=blue>We make the kids walk and strap b
Would it be selfish to not buy christmas gifts for every tom, dick & harry and use my christmas club to take my kids to the fort over christmas break? (providing a site becomes available)

IMHO, no one should buy Christmas gifts for every Tom, Dick and Harry. My family draws names and has a $20 limit. I say cut back and go to WDW.

Nope! Because that's what we're doing!

We have cut back very much on the Christmas gift giving the last several years. And this year was down to (besides my DH and Kids) In-Laws, my parents, DH's grandmother, my brother and family and my Mom's three sisters.

I wrote a very thought out email to my Aunts and my brother and suggested we not exchange anymore. They all thought it was a great idea. In addition, we had a talk with the kids and said that Disney World was Mom and Dad's present, that only Santa would come to Disney World. Everyone, INCLUDING the 6 year old was on board!

We are really looking forward to this Christmas!

Would it be selfish to not buy christmas gifts for every tom, dick & harry and use my christmas club to take my kids to the fort over christmas break? (providing a site becomes available)

As long as Tom, Dick and Harry know they are not getting a gift like they did last year so they know not to buy you and your kids anything.

It's not selfish, it's smart. We've never gotten into that habit, and I bet others appreciate not having to buy for us. And if you have a group that you like to celebrate with, set up a dirty Santa game where everyone only has to buy one gift with a predetermined money limit. That's a lot of fun.

Besides, Tom, Dick and Harry have been naughty this year.

Oh...that's such a wonderful idea! :santa:

(let's face it..if you're away over the Christmas break..you're not gonna see Tom, Dick or Harry anyway!:laughing:)

Seriously, I'd let people know that you are cutting back this year. I think most everyone is. They may even be relieved so as to not have to buy gifts themselves.

If you go...I expect to see LOTS of pictures here of your trip!:wizard:

Considering that most people I know have done this very thing, I say go for it. We stopped getting all the gifts for the extended family several years ago and made the gifts only for the little kids. The rest of the people got dinner. And, really, it has cut down on the bickering and such with the adults. Usually, they acted worse than the kids with the presents. Just make darn sure you let me know when you are here.;)

No, I don't think it's selfish at all. When I was younger I got caught up in getting something for everyone. It drove me crazy, but I did it. One year my DH put his foot down and mandated that our nieces & nephews would be on the "gift radar" until age 18, then we were done. We don't exchange gifts with any family members anymore because we are all at an age where less is more and we don't "need" anything more than good conversation and a cold beer.

I never had kids, so it's hard for me to reflect on what I would have done. I know people that don't maximize Christmas presents, and their kids seem well adjusted and not deprived. I think it's very easy to over-do the gifts and underdo the reason behind Christmas.

We stopped doing that several years ago. We get presents for relatives through high school. As often as not we get something that the whole family would enjoy, or that their family and ours can do together. We have worked hard to get the grandparents, aunts, and uncles to cut back on what they bought for us and our kids.

Enjoy your trip. :dance3:

Now wait a minute. I don't care about Dick and Harry, but being that my name is Tom I would expect a very extravagant gift for the holidays this year. :rotfl:

On a serious note I do not think that is selfish at all. We hardly do anything for Christmas anymore except for the kids and parents.

Go for it and have a great time.

go for it! i run away as often as i can at christmas. i don't need any gifts and i don't give any. run, run fast and far.....

lmao

Just let everyone know ahead of time. That way they can give you cash. pirate:

Go for it and you don't have to take me. I live close enought and I will come vist, just let us know when you are there.

I'd bet your kids won't think it's selfish!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I say send Tom, Dick and Harry postcards from WDW. :santa:

Considering that most people I know have done this very thing, I say go for it. We stopped getting all the gifts for the extended family several years ago and made the gifts only for the little kids. The rest of the people got dinner. And, really, it has cut down on the bickering and such with the adults. Usually, they acted worse than the kids with the presents. Just make darn sure you let me know when you are here.;)
You will be the first to know im coming, it is a requirement to visit with the majors~

Just to be clear though, feel free to buy gifts for all of us.
Of course!:rotfl:

.....and really, as long as you're taking me along I don't see it being an issue. :santa:
Id take you in a heartbeat.:hug:

Now wait a minute. I don't care about Dick and Harry, but being that my name is Tom I would expect a very extravagant gift for the holidays this year. :rotfl:

Keep checking your mailbox;)
On a serious note I do not think that is selfish at all. We hardly do anything for Christmas anymore except for the kids and parents.

Go for it and have a great time.
My kids are all for it!

go for it! i run away as often as i can at christmas. i don't need any gifts and i don't give any. run, run fast and far.....

lmao
:lmao:

Just let everyone know ahead of time. That way they can give you cash. pirate:
Now your talking!

Go for it and you don't have to take me. I live close enought and I will come vist, just let us know when you are there.
I would love that!

I'd bet your kids won't think it's selfish!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I say send Tom, Dick and Harry postcards from WDW. :santa:
:thumbsup2

Im convinced, now to get a site. i will be calling everyday. We don't spend a ton on extended family but due to my mothers passing when i was a cchild my sisters and i have serveral sets of parents and my girls have 20 something cousins..lol...we have no choice but to draw names. We are thinking of skipping all of that though and enjoying the fort with the girls, talked to family members last night and they said go for it. Of course parents were on bored they dont care about gifts but i like to give.

Like everyone else, our family kept expanding. We went from buying everyone presents, to drawing names. Now, other than buying presents for DW, 2 DD's, my mom, and her dad, we have all agreed just to buy for nieces & nephews up to age 14 with about a $25.00 limit (that was just the age we decided on).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter