Worst part of trip not closed headliners but mean people!

Listen while we are venting can I put mine in here.I have a dear wife in wheel chair.It constantly amazes me how people just walk in front of a moving object it is not easy to stop a wheel chair on a dime.I mean people just literally walk while looking another direction.Please folks show some kindness.I really never want to take anyone out at the knees but seriously it is scary how thoughtless folks can be.

Wow, I'm truly saddened to hear that my experience is not unique. I am not naive: I know folks don't suddenly become nice when they enter the gates at DLR. Yet I still don't understand the venom and bitterness when caught red-handed doing something that is clearly wrong.

I also wante dto respond to SMD:

Just FYI, CMs do not confront line cutters. We waited in a long line for food, only to have a man come in from the side entrance, push his way right in front of us as we moved towards the register and proceed to order. The CM helped him, then apologized to us for the wait when he was gone.

I'm not saying don't say things (politely) like, "Excuse me, the end of the line is back there," but if you're expecting Disney to swoop in and control the behavior, you'll just end up disappointed and frustrate yourself against the brick wall of entitlement that line cutters bring with them.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I don't understand why the OP needed to take a parting shot at the man in order to extend the confrontation. He was informed that he cut in line, he clearly wasn't moving. Had I witnessed that scene as described I probably would have come away with the impression that the person who needed to have the last word with, "yes, please do, I want to hear what you tell them" was almost as rude as the line cutter for not deescalating the situation.

No one wins in a scenario when guests get into a verbal pissing match over the Dole Whip line.

I didn't expect the CM to do anything, but if he had walked over, the 2 women in front of me and the 2 women behind me would have vouched for me. So I wasn't scared.

I also want to be CRYSTAL CLEAR: this was not a pissing match in my eyes. SMD: I'm not sure if you're a man or woman, but to me, the GENDER DYNAMICS here were an issue. Heck, race may also have been an issue as this 6' (or taller?) white man towered over me, a smaller Asian woman. Stereotypes in the mass media promote the view that Asian women are quiet and submissive so he probably thought he could intimidate me and was furious when I didn't blink and back down.

This was ALL ABOUT me standing up for myself and not letting my DD6 think that women have to be meek and submissive when a man tells them they're wrong. I KNEW I was right and I wasn't going to let him push me over.

Listen while we are venting can I put mine in here.I have a dear wife in wheel chair.It constantly amazes me how people just walk in front of a moving object it is not easy to stop a wheel chair on a dime.I mean people just literally walk while looking another direction.Please folks show some kindness.I really never want to take anyone out at the knees but seriously it is scary how thoughtless folks can be.

I feel for her. People do the same thing to strollers and then get upset when they get run over! :confused: I don't feel bad about accidentally hitting you when you purposely cut me off. A stroller for EMH was the worst. And it was usually adults pushing their kids in front of my stroller. People are so rude and it's so sad that they are teaching their kids to act the same way.

I feel for her. People do the same thing to strollers and then get upset when they get run over! :confused: I don't feel bad about accidentally hitting you when you purposely cut me off. A stroller for EMH was the worst. And it was usually adults pushing their kids in front of my stroller. People are so rude and it's so sad that they are teaching their kids to act the same way.

Exactly. Not to take this thread totally off on a tangent, but I'm so used to interacting with thoughtful and considerate people that it's always a culture shock at new venues like DLR. We had an ECV and a stroller on this trip again and DH and I were SUPER careful about watching people in front of us. Not only would people jump in front of us/cut us off/stop suddenly (T got hit on the ankles a few times by other people pushing wheelchairs/strollers because I stopped when walking people cut me off!), but rude guests frequently tried to squeeze in between DH and me. He was following behind me, as it would be selfish and nightmarish if he tried to stay next to me and people consistently cut in front of him EVEN AT THE TICKET GATE after I already gave our 4 tickets to the CM checking photos.

Ok, enough venting from me. We had a FANTASTIC time and I'm going to concentrate on writing my TR to document all the lovely things we got to do.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear all these experiences. These days it seems people are getting worse and worse. And if we decide to do something about it, we can get kicked out. If only more than one of us would say something at the same time, a difference could be made, but too many people keep to themselves and let it happen and let the others deal with their own situation. I always say something to the abusers along with who was affected. If all of us did that, these situations would stop and Disney can't kick us all out for helping someone.
I was threatened in the parking structure once, and security came by and asked me to move my car to another location. They did nothing to the man that threatened me. It seems they try to keep the peace and the lowest level of resistance it to deal with those of us that were bullied.
Personally I have witnessed soooo much abuse of children at the parks, mostly verbally that it sickens me sometimes. But it isn't ever dealt with by anyone that I can see. One I caught on video and wish I could publish it, but not certain of the rules as Disney is strict on that type of thing.
Let's all stick together and help each other, even when we are not personally affected, it is the only way to make a difference that lasts. No more standing by. Not to be confrontational, but only when it affects others "happy" day.

The only bit of advice I can give you is never go to Disneyland Paris. Like cutting over there is like a national sport.

I think there are nice and rude people in every country, I live in Canada and we are supposedly a pretty friendly bunch - but this stuff happens all the time here too - so yes, while I have heard it is a different experience at Disneyland Paris, I don't think it's a good idea to compare one country against another... :)

Wow, I'm truly saddened to hear that my experience is not unique. I am not naive: I know folks don't suddenly become nice when they enter the gates at DLR. Yet I still don't understand the venom and bitterness when caught red-handed doing something that is clearly wrong.

I also wante dto respond to SMD:

I didn't expect the CM to do anything, but if he had walked over, the 2 women in front of me and the 2 women behind me would have vouched for me. So I wasn't scared.

I also want to be CRYSTAL CLEAR: this was not a pissing match in my eyes. SMD: I'm not sure if you're a man or woman, but to me, the GENDER DYNAMICS here were an issue. Heck, race may also have been an issue as this 6' (or taller?) white man towered over me, a smaller Asian woman. Stereotypes in the mass media promote the view that Asian women are quiet and submissive so he probably thought he could intimidate me and was furious when I didn't blink and back down.

This was ALL ABOUT me standing up for myself and not letting my DD6 think that women have to be meek and submissive when a man tells them they're wrong. I KNEW I was right and I wasn't going to let him push me over.
I totally agree with you. I don't see why he thinks you were escalating it. You were nicer than I would be. Very few people cut in front of me as I have the kind of face that looks stern until I smile. I'm a retired librarian.:)

We had an ECV and a stroller on this trip again and DH and I were SUPER careful about watching people in front of us.

That's so nice of you. I had the opposite experience 2 weeks ago. We were in the World of Disney store and a lady pushing her kid who was STANDING UP IN A RENTED WHEELCHAIR almost ran over my 3YO since they were flying through the store. They were literally running around the store pushing the wheelchair and "surfing" in it. I saw them coming but I was too far from my DD (about 7 steps, I think) to run to her. I kept screaming for them to stop and they didn't, until they just about hit her ankles at full speed as I moved in in front of them.

I was in such shock I didn't even say anything, I was just glad that DD was ok. 2 minutes later someone cut in front of me in the line to check out, after insisting that I wasn't in line (I was right behind the 1st person checking out :confused3). It was a really strange day. We called it a day after that. Must be something in the water that day.

Just FYI, CMs do not confront line cutters. We waited in a long line for food, only to have a man come in from the side entrance, push his way right in front of us as we moved towards the register and proceed to order. The CM helped him, then apologized to us for the wait when he was gone.

I'm not saying don't say things (politely) like, "Excuse me, the end of the line is back there," but if you're expecting Disney to swoop in and control the behavior, you'll just end up disappointed and frustrate yourself against the brick wall of entitlement that line cutters bring with them.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I don't understand why the OP needed to take a parting shot at the man in order to extend the confrontation. He was informed that he cut in line, he clearly wasn't moving. Had I witnessed that scene as described I probably would have come away with the impression that the person who needed to have the last word with, "yes, please do, I want to hear what you tell them" was almost as rude as the line cutter for not deescalating the situation.

No one wins in a scenario when guests get into a verbal pissing match over the Dole Whip line.

Until people are treated like the OP treated this idiot who tried to cut in line, then nothing will change, in fact it will get worse. CMs are not paid enough to deal with bullies, it is our collective job as a society to determine what is acceptable and unacceptable and draw the lines when people fail to see them.

I think it was great that she was not passive. Line cutters need to be identified, just like bullies do, they are clearly lazy people and lazy people tend to take the path of least resistance - so if everyone keeps giving them that resistance then maybe they will learn a lesson.

To suggest she tried to engage in a pissing match is entirely uncalled for - talk about blaming the victim mentality? :crazy:

I witnessed an out of control father trying to get his too short daughter onto Scream'n. She was about 1/2" too short and the CM said sorry but offered the family FP's for another ride. The father began to scold the CM and held up the line for everyone else. He insisted she's fine and only 1/2" too short is no big deal. He asked for supervisors, managers and on and on. After about 5 minutes there were at least 6 CM's over there trying to deal with this guys shouting, swearing etc. Height rules are there for a reason and the CM's are correct in following the rules and not allowing anyone to cheat (although some do anyways). Why risk safety and go off on a CM while holding up the line?

I've had similar incidents occur at the park--line cutting, rudeness, confrontation and cutting off our long-held parade viewing spots. And that was 30 years ago.

I don't think people have changed, I just think there are more of them, both nice and not-so-nice. I think we expect nice and are less inclined to notice it, but not-so-nice is definitely something that gets your attention and sticks with you.

I totally agree with you. I don't see why he thinks you were escalating it. You were nicer than I would be. Very few people cut in front of me as I have the kind of face that looks stern until I smile. I'm a retired librarian.:)
Nana--I loved your last remark;)!

This was at Universal Studios, but this is definitely Karma biting somebody in the butt. The line for the Mummy ride wasn't long and we were meandering through the queue. These boys were behind us (and we were walking slow because it was hot outside and it was cold here so we didn't want to rush it). They kept saying, "Hey fatties, move it. Come on fatties." Which made me walk slower. They decided to jump the rails to get around us. The one boy caught his foot, fell, and broke his arm so bad the bone was sticking through it. Now, I feel awful he hurt himself because I wouldn't wish that on anybody but if they had been polite and asked us to move so they could get around us we would have gladly moved. And, that obviously ended his day and probably trip in a most horrific way.

Since this is already venturing off-topic, try the cables at Half Dome in Yosemite. The only time I've been there it wasn't anywhere near its legendary reputation for being crowded. Even still, there were some impatient people who went outside the cables because they thought others were going too slow. Some people panic a little and that slows down things quite a bit.

Ugh, these kind of things I know I can expect to happen and like OP, I would not hesitate to politely say "pardon me, but the line begins back there" and would not back down from doing the right thing. Glad you stuck up for yourself!

I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that Disney allows line cutting and will not be doing anything to stop it. First, I would not expect a CM to confront a guest, because who knows what that could lead to, except possibly a bad situation for the CM and the other guests. But also, what are they going to do, call over their security guards? Has anyone gotten a look at their age and/or physical condition lately? They'd get bowled right over and everyone else in line would be delayed even longer.

I'm not saying don't stand up and say, "Hey, the end of the line is back there." Or to let the CM know when you get to the front of the line, "Hey, I waited in this line for 20 minutes, then 5 minutes ago this family cut in." But really, hadn't you stood up for yourself before you tried to get the last word in. Teach your daughter whatever you want, but from the way you retold the story, I think that you got your point across and kept going to just egg the guy on or some need to say the perfect thing to make him realize he was wrong, and that might not need to be part of the lesson you're trying to teach. And sorry, the fact that there was a gender and size difference doesn't change my opinion on that.

And this gets its own paragraph, because seriously, think about it. When the guy reacted the way he did, you had no idea how far he was going to take it. People are crazy, and you never know when one is challenged if they are going to snap. From your description he was escalating the situation with name calling and who knows what he could have done next. I personally would not want to teach my child to stoke his fire in that situation when it is clear where the 2 sides stand.

Wait there's a "secret" Dole whip line? We've never enjoyed one of these because the line is always so long!! Where is it?

Wait there's a "secret" Dole whip line? We've never enjoyed one of these because the line is always so long!! Where is it?

Inside the waiting area for the Tiki Room. We tried it and the line moved about 1/2 the rate the outside line did. It could have been an off day but it was slow. I think we still saved time over the regular line but it wasn't the huge advantage I expected. The nice bonus was being able to sit for a bit while in line.

I agree with SMD for the most part. It's fine to say something because the guy very well may not of known he was cutting, but once it escalates you're entering unknown territory and it's not worth the risk. I don't see it as showing your daughter that women are submissive. Saying nothing at all would have done that. Showing her there's a limit on how far to push a confrontation with a stranger is important too.

I've only had one instance of line cutting at DL so I must be lucky. A group of teens rushed in front of us to enter the cue of Astro Blasters one evening and accused us of cutting. The wait was less than 5 minutes and this was right where you enter the roped off area. We shrugged it off and got in line behind them. We were the last group in line for a good 30-40 seconds after that so there really wasn't any "cutting" going on which made the whole thing quite absurd. If anything, we both got there at the same time.

Wow, I am sorry there were so many crummy people at that park that day. I have had a few run ins with rude people at DLand too, not much different than most of the PP have stated.

Then there are also the acts of kindness I try to remember when I become flustered .... Like the people who help my DD on/off the tram when I am solo and my hands are full with back pack and stroller or the group of "new friends" we sat with , chatted and shared snacks with while we waited for the Firework show.

:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter