Working on Weight Loss During Training

Happy Birthday, Minnie & Kristi! I hope you both have fabulous celebrations! Good luck on the car shopping, Minnie -- not quite the birthday gift you wanted right now, I'd bet. Somehow I'd missed your post about what happened to your car this week. UGH! I hope you find a fabulous bargain! :hug: pixiedust:

Oh, and here's a party for two of our favorite WISHers!!!
:dogdance: :tink: :bday: :cake: party: :rockband: :dancer: :banana:

:bday: Minnie and Kristi! :cool1: :banana: Here's some more virtual cake: :cake: :teeth:

Monica - hang in there. If I went to a resort like that, I'm sure I'd be bad. Hope you had a good time. :)

Cam - looks like you are doing well. Personally, I don't see how you can bake cookies and not eat one. I'd probably eat half the batch before they made it to the dorm. :crazy:

Carrie - I love hot chocolate. I really miss not being able to drink my carnation instant hot chocolate mix. I'll have to try what you had. Milk, cocoa and splenda.

Sunny - I'm so glad you are doing better these days. I never did take the Levaquin my doctor prescribed for me. The cyst I had ended up going away on its own. :thumbsup2 Sending :wizard: for DD. She is so close to being out. Maybe if she can set up some small goals to reach, 6 months won't seem to bad. I have to do that in my training. Otherwise, I'd throw in the towel. :hug: to you in the meantime.

Kristi - :grouphug: for you as well. :wizard: for you and your family.

Minnie - sounds like you have a good plan for your meals. I probably should do that.

Jen - Congrats! on losing a pound. Sounds like you are right on track! :cool1:

NCRedding - ain't that the truth! I've struggled with my weight for I don't know how many years. One of the reasons I signed up to participate in the half is that I knew I would have to discipline myself in my eating in order to go the distance. Having a concrete goal is a little easier for me to eat better than just saying that I need to lose weight and get healthier.

As for me, I feel that I am eating much better than I had been eating before I started training in August. I still need to improve but I think I am heading in the right direction. So far, I've lost 16 pounds. Unfortunately, I still have 60 to go to get to the weight area I need to be in. The problem I seem to be having is getting the nutrition in balance with my exercising. I think I've been having some blood-sugar lows and it has really effected my w/r efforts. Of course the shin splints don't help either. :rolleyes:

I think it really is true that you need to have been exercising on a regular basis before beginning the training for a half or full. I'm beginning to have doubts that I can do this but for now, I'm going to keep trying. It would be soooooo easy for me to quit and just take it easier and try to do the half in '08. The thing is - I don't want to quit. Not now, anyhow. ;)

Okay, everyone, stay strong this weekend! Be sure to check in and let us know how you are doing. :thumbsup2
:cheer2:

Good morning, hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start. I have been floundering this past week, and did not exercise for 4 days straight--yucky!

But, this morning, I got up, went to Curves and came home to weigh and measure. WOOHOO! I am down 14.5 pounds, and over 5 inches, including inches in my arms and thighs (and of course, down in the bust--why do we always lose there first).

I want to thank everyone here for their encouragement, and for being open with their struggles. I don't have time to add another meeting to my schedule, so you are my meeting!! The great news about that is I can come here as often as I like, not just once a week :cheer2:

Here's to a great weekend for all of us--we deserve it!!

Jane

Congratulations, Jane! (sorry I mis-remembered your name ;) ) What an awesome achievement. I am so glad you took measurements. Sometimes the scale just isn't a true indicator of all we have achieved. Good job getting back on track and heading to the gym this morning! :thumbsup2

Well, I packed treat bags for DD and "adopted" DD last night and didn't eat any candy. Also baked a double batch of cookies and didn't taste them. :woohoo: Now, I feel so empowered to face food struggles. The biggest challenge was that DH brought home a slice of my favorite pizza last night (he and DS didn't even get any -- they just brought it home for me because it is impossible to get). I begged him not to be upset with me for not eating it. He even tried to persuade me to just eat the veggies off it, but I knew that was too big a temptation. Even when he reminded me I was going to wog 14 miles today and earn APs, I didn't take him up on the justification that would have provided. Every food encounter is a challenge, but they are getting easier to overcome. I am just keeping my eye on the prize -- that Mickey medal with just the tiniest bit less effort!

Hoping to see other WISHers check in! Sending pixiedust: :tink: that you are all having very successful weekends.

Thank you everyone for the birthday WISHes and the PD for the car shopping!

Kristi – Happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!

Sunny – Oh majors hugs to you. I’m not sure if you know but my DS (7th grade) has ADD also from being a premie with health issues. He struggles with reading especially and maturity issues. School can be so hard for him. Your DD has come so far though you must be so proud. Just keep encouraging her as 6 months feels like forever at that age. Sending hugs and pixie dust to you!

Susie – I never realized that was your name. My IRL name is Suzy short for Suzanne.

Jane – Wow you go girl 14.5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!

Cam – That is some major will power! I am sooooo proud of you for resisting temptation!

Okay I am about to head out to see what is available out there car wise. I have a wonderful employer that has provided me with a vehicle until I can purchase my own. But I need to find something quickly.

I made it through the birthday lunch okay. I didn’t order the homemade taterchip that I wanted and went with the steamed veggies instead. I did eat too many carbs with the wrap but it still felt okay.

I was still so full at by dinner last night that a few ww crackers and peanut butter was supper and a few dark chocolate chips was dessert.

Today I’ve had yogurt early and then an egg/cheese omlett with ww toast so I don’t head for the junk on the car shopping today.

WISHing an OP day for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job, Minnie! I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday lunch! :sunny:
So, how did your car shopping go?

Okay, for all my willpower last night, I blew it today. The small popcorn at the football game wasn't too bad, especially since I shared with DH and DS. However, after I ate a huge garden salad with grilled chicken for dinner (no dressing), I started picking at DS's fries and that was not a good thing. UGH! Well, I earned at least 12 APs this morning with my 14 miler, and I hadn't used any of my weekly points allotment except 5 for the marathon bar this morning, so I am still on plan, but that is the first non-core food I've eaten in 10 days and I could kick myself.
The whole time I was eating fries I was telling DH I shouldn't. Next time I'll tell him ahead of time to move them out of my reach. I had NO willpower tonight. :sad1: :blush:
Tomorrow WILL be better. :thumbsup2

I'm over my food funk, too, at least until I weigh myself in the morning. Had a few good experiences the past couple days. I woke up this morning with a 149.6 on the scale...haven't been in the 140s in 11 years :cool1: I think I must be losing inches. I had to buy new jeans because one pair I got only a couple months ago is already too big! New jeans...size 10 (but they're stretch denim). Haven't seen a size 10 since undergrad! I'm sure Boma for dinner is not going to do much for my weight in the morning, but I did well yesterday and earlier today. Usually takes a couple weeks to get the new weight to stick, but it's encouraging just to see it!

Cam...your willpower is amazing!

How's everyone else doing?

What do y'all think about vanity-sizing? I wore size 9/10 pants in high school when I was 113 to 118 lbs. Hard to believe that I'm working my way to the same size now, 30lbs heavier :confused3 .

WTG Mel!!!!

I lost 2.6 lbs this week. :cool1: I didnt do so great this weekend, but I'm back on track & going to have a loser of a week! (lose weight that is)

Have a great week everyone, stay strong on Halloween!

CAM – Don’t beat yourself up your doing a great job! Those cookies would have done me in for sure. Just drink a bunch of water or decaf tea and it’ll flush that crap right out.

Mel – Totally awesome! It must feel so good to see that scale move on down.

Tiff – 2.6 in a week???? Nice job!!!!!

Did well all up till tonight when I had pizza but I ate mostly just toppings which is OP. I plan to drink tons of decaf tea to flush the carbs.

Car shopping went okay. I’ve narrowed it down to the following. I’d love some feedback if anyone has time. Just as background I live in the country where 4-wheel drive would be nice and being able to pull a horse/4-wheeler trailer would be an asset but not a big deal as we do own a 4-wheel drive truck. I do drive 45minute to work mostly highway each day.

1 – Jeep Compass – new SUV this year little larger than I like but not bad. $500 incentive
2 – Jeep Liberty – SUV that is perfect size but gas mileage isn’t the best. $3000 incentive
3 – Malibu or Cobalt – small cars great gas mileage.

I have to make a decision by Tuesday due to incentives.

Mel -- Congrats on seeing the 140s! WoW -- I was 155 at age 10 and never lower after that. I can't even imagine seeing the 140s. :thumbsup2

Tiff -- AWESOME weight loss in one week!

Minnie -- Sorry I know nothing about cars, but it sounds like you have a few great options. Good luck on the final decision-making.

Remember how I said yesterday was going to be a better day? Well, I took an apple to the cross-country championships and avoided the snack tables completely. I also did not eat any of the decorated pumpkin cookies we took with us and never even was tempted by the apple cider we brought. When we got home, I cooked a chicken broccoli casserole and buttered noodles for DH and DS, made a veggie barley soup for me for this week, made grilled chicken topped with salsa and FF cheese and steamed broccoli for me for dinner and all was good. Later, however, the veggie pizza DH bought me Friday night and which he'd promised to eat was calling my name from the fridge and I caved. I was very disappointed in myself, but kept thinking "I still have lots of weekly points left". NOT a good thought process. I didn't need the pizza and I knew I'd feel bad about eating it, but I did anyway. :blush: After that, it almost became a free-for-all. The days after my long wogs I am so absolutely voracious. :confused3 I started thinking about the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, the oreos, the pumpkin fluff, all sorts of WW desserts in the freezer. :eek: I went to bed instead. :woohoo: Today IS going to be better.

Mel - COngrats!!! I dream of 145, but that's a long way away.

Minnie - I hate thinking about cars. Good luck!

Tiff - Way to go!!!

Cam - Hang in there! Remeber how good a good day feels! It's so hard to be by the fridge on the weeked. :confused3

Speaking of time by the fridge...I did ok Saturday, but I had to have popcorn at the movie Saturday night. I haven't gon in 32 months and won't likely go for another month or 2. SO, I was going to work extra hard SUnday. Well, I did ok, but not graat. I did make pumpkin seeds, though. Once again, it;s a once ayear treat, so I justify it. I don't thinkthey're too bad, but I used a decent amount of margarine in the making. On the bright side, I only packed a small bag of them to eat today at work. My weight is up, but I'm really hpoing it's the salt from teh seeds and the popcorn. DOing better today, though.

Here's the hard part. Friday, I leave for my Lone Star State adventure. It's a solo thing. I do so bad on my own. I will try to eat a real breakfst befor emy Mon - Wed seminar, so that I don't go fro the doughnuts that usually come with these things. Lunch is on our own, which seems odd. I really need to try to do sit down and not fast food or snacks. The company gives us a meal stipend, so I need to try to use it. Anyone with great tips for being good while traveling? DId I metnion that I hate to eat fast fod alone and I've never been solo to a sit down place? Silly, but this will be really hard for me.

On the bright side, it looks like I'll be with TXBelle and family for dinner Saturday. :banana: Plus, she told me where to do my 14-miler Saturday and we are going together SUnday! (That will replace my Wednesday run). :cheer2: Now, to get myself some XT. Hope they have a good workout room there.

Hey all... I am being a snacker the last couple of day... UGHHH. My weight is still down tho so I am happy. I didn't get up and run this morning. I am a little disappointed in myself for that. DD3 is not adjusting well to the time change and keeps getting up way too early. So I put her back to bed, but then I didn't want to run on the treadmill because she would have gotten back up again. If she doesn't get her sleep, she is a BEAR! So I skipped it. DD6's b-day party is tonight and I will be on my feet the whole day/night with that. Actually all week will be crazy for me. I have something every night. Training will be tough this week.

Tomorrow is a Halloween potluck at work. So far the food looks pretty good. I should be OK, as long as I don't over eat.

Carrie - I travel a bunch for work. I usually bring my own breakfasts because I don't like to eat a greasy b-fast before a meeting. I usually pack some bread or english muffins and peanut butter. Also, if I know I can pick up some fruit, I will, otherwise you can try to pack some apples. That's my breakfast. Also, when I am alone I always bring a book with me. That way I can have a sit down meal and read and not feel all weirded out that I am alone. Yah, you will get people looking at you, but just ignore them. I get so little time alone that I like to use that time to read. Lunch meals, you should look to salads or soup instead of the fast food. Even Mc D's has soup!!!

Cam - I always want to eat the house after my LR's. Well, my LR's aren't as long as yours are right now, but I feel the same way!!!

I think I am worthy of posting today. I am back on the core wagon. I only had 1 WW pop and 2 oz. of baked cheetos. That might sound bad - but that is excellent considering what I have been doing lately! :blush: The rest of the day was as follows:
WW Puffed Wheat with skim milk (2 servings worth)
grapes
Huge salad with chicken
yogurt w/ flaxseed oil
apple
Veggie burger w/ f.f. cheese, f.f. mayo & WW bread

I still need another bottle of water, minimum, tonight. I will be up peeing for sure! :lmao:

Do any of you have stomach pains adjusting to core? When I started and each time I am on vacation, then come home & start core again - I get some wicked stomach pains! I don't end up sick or anything, they just finally go away on their own. It's like it takes my body a couple days to adjust to all those fruits & veggies or something. I mean, even when I am off plan, I still eat relatively good. But maybe not the 5 fruits & veggies per day. Or maybe I am just weird! :rotfl: I think I am leaning towards 'weird.' :teeth:

Kristi - I definitely have stomach issues when I start a plan back up. A low carb high protein diet sends me into a lot of issues. It normally settles down within a week or so. A soluable Fiber like Benifiber which is tasteless seems to help this.

Carrie - Eating alone is tough. If you go towards the fastfood option I'd make sure to do salads or I know McD's has grilled chicken on ww buns that is quite good. Stay away from the fried junk if you can and I'm sure you will do fine.

Jen - Snacking is a tough area of my own. I tend to pick instead of eat full meals and it gets me in trouble. Sometimes it helps to put snacks into seperate baggies or serving dishes so that I know when to stop.

Cam - How did you do today? Hoping you made it back on plan :wizard:

As for me well..... it wasn't on an on plan day. It was my birthday lunch at work so I indulged in a few treats. I can feel the difference big time though so I'm back on track right away.

As for the car issue well I've decided against the Liberty as gas mileage is a major issue. Now its been a Jeep Compass and a small great gas car :hourglass is running out.

Cam...hang in there. What was it Judy said about not throwing yourself down the stairs when you miss a step? LR days are tough on the appetite!

Minnie...I detest car shopping. Personally, I'd go with the Jeep, but I drive an Element so I'm already in the mini-SUV class. Don't get too wrapped up in the expiration date of the incentives. If the salesman wants to sell you a car, he'll be able to give you a deal.

Tiff...congrats! That's an incredible loss for one week.

Carrie...I'm with Jen, bring your own breakfast. You would think medical conferences would offer healthy choices, but most of mine is just croissants and danishes for breakfast with a token bowl of apples and bananas. I do weird things for lunch. With sandwiches, I may take off one of the slices of bread and eat it open-faced to lower the carbs and calories a bit. My latest thing is making a point of NOT cleaning my plate or finishing every bite of every meal (don't tell my mom ;) )

Kristi...congrats on hopping back on the wagon!

I've fallen off the wagon and rolled around in the dirt a bit today. DH and I took today off since tomorrow's our anniversary, so we went out to lunch on Siesta Key. Definitely not my normal Monday Lean Cuisine lunch at work! Oh...and there's this small matter of the Halloween candy that I made the mistake of opening yesterday :rolleyes1

The Halloween candy has been difficult to resist. Plus this is my week for meetings, with dinner served (rarely healthy). I am coping, but not as well as I would like. (for example, did well with the sandwich in last night's boxed dinner, then inhaled a chocolate chip cookie) Can't wait to give out all the candy tonight! I exceeded my exercise goal, set a little bit higher one for November--I want to keep gradually increasing it, enough so that I am motivated to reach it, and not overwhelmed by the number.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Good morning, everyone! Thank you so much for the good wishes for getting back on plan.
It's funny how I can feel so smug and content when I am only eating core foods and I haven't touched the Halloween candy or the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, but the reality is that I have been abusing the core plan since Saturday night's french fry fiasco (oh, and my complexion is definitely reminding me I ate fried food for the first time in forever -- :eek: ).
Yesterday I only ate core foods but I ate too much. I really do have to get it back under control. But I was actually hungry. All day, as soon as I was done eating something my stomache was growling again and no amount of water and sugar free gum was working. Just so you can see the sheer volume of food, here is what I ate yesterday:
B: coffee w/skim milk; shredded wheat with skim milk
S: apple
L: garden salad w/olive oil; can of solid white tuna in water; barley veggie soup
S: (none -- no time. This might have been my downfall)
D: veggie barley soup; TWO turkey burgers w/fat free cheese & hoagie spread (peppers in vinegar); kalamata olives (10); mini dill pickles (4)
dessert: pumpkin mixed with SF FF vanilla pudding & pumpkin pie spice; 94% FF popcorn

Can you believe I ate that much?

I can tell you two things, though. It all showed up on the scale this morning :sad1: AND I can't even think about food right now -- I am still full from last night.

I am really going to start thinking about what we are trying to do and I know that if I remind myself of the accountability here, I will be able to eat sensibly. I brought cookies to work today which I promise not to eat (they smell so good, though!) and I haven't the slightest interest in the Halloween candy. And I brought a good lunch and a delicious banana and an apple, so I have no excuse for being bad.

Minnie -- I know today is the big decision day -- Good luck! pixiedust:

Carrie -- When we have traveled and I was trying to be good, I packed apples and bananas in a cooler bag that I put in my suitcase along with ziplock bags of cereal & some plastic spoons. It has always been easy to find skim or low fat milk either from room service or the little shop in the hotel and I just poured the cereal and milk in a cup or glass in the hotel room with the milk. Cereal and fruit for breakfast is a great option. Or, you could order hot water (like for tea) from room service and bring your own oatmeal packets. For lunches -- I LOVE salads and there is usually a grilled chicken add on option. Personally, I wouldn't mind eating by myself at a restaurant -- I did it on my solo trips to WDW last spring. I just took a good book and a small journal with me and enjoyed people watching and catching up on my reading. You'll do great!

Mel -- Let's pick each other up and jump back on the wagon together. You, me, Kristi, Minnie -- we're done "celebrating" or "rewarding" and can get back on track. :grouphug:

Jen -- I hope DD slept better last night. Sending hugs, sweetie! :hug:

Ok gang...tonight is weigh-in and I'm not looking forward to it. I did really well, up until when we went to the hotsprings and it's been downhill ever since. I have been walking and I'm taking a fitness class this afternoon, but I don't think I'll loose, whatever weight I gained, from now til tonight. lol. I'll let you know what the damage is tomorrow. Have a great trick-or-treat and watch out for nibbling. We live in a resort area and don't get any children here, so there's no temptation with snatching a piece of candy.

Good luck and we can do it! :banana:

Hey all. I am so off plan and haven't done any running since my 10K on Saturday. I am just plain exhausted. Here's the scoop... Sunday was DD6's b-day AND trick or treating. Last night was her b-day party at the bowling alley. I got in lots of exercise running after 8 kids. Plus I only ate 1/2 of my piece of cake. I kept getting pulled away and when I finally came back to it, someone had thrown it away.

Today the girls have a Halloween party and then swim class tonight after work... then I am GOING TO BED EARLY! I need to get back on track. Oh and at work today we are having a Halloween potluck. I made a WW salad and there are other Core foods to eat. As long as I don't eat too much. That is my problem lately. I weighed this morning and am the same, so I have to be careful so the scale doesn't go up on me!

Carrie - Cam had a great idea about oatmeal. If you have a coffee pot in the room, you can heat up water that way also!!! Great idea!

Cam - Even tho you ate a lot, the food sounded yummy. Just get back on track today.

Mel - People watching is fun too. I like to do that when I am alone. I wonder if people think I am a crazy for watching them?? Oh well, who cares!!

OK, I have to get something done at work...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter