Work lunches and diabetes

When doing events for huge crowds, the more you juggle, the harder it is and the more you make mistakes (on top of how much pricier it gets b/c you can't buy veg just for the 3-4 who need it, but you have to buy for everyone who might want it). And the more likely they cancel it b/c it becomes too hard.

Thus, keeping in mind price and ease when it comes to suggestions...
I still remember a 6th grade camping trip. They provide snacks to all of the kids, to keep things fair. They had a meeting with the allergy kids parents, to figure out snacks that would work for everyone. After an hour it was decided the allergy kids could bring their own snacks, otherwise the snacks would’ve consisted of breath mints.

I still remember a 6th grade camping trip. They provide snacks to all of the kids, to keep things fair. They had a meeting with the allergy kids parents, to figure out snacks that would work for everyone. After an hour it was decided the allergy kids could bring their own snacks, otherwise the snacks would’ve consisted of breath mints.

This is why I always bring the top 9 allergy stuff to Church potluck and bake sale events - I can do it, I know how to do it (and not at a price that will bankrupt me), I know how to serve it safely (mine always gets separated from other foods or fully enclosed and I always have the ingredients list), and I know how to keep it as "real" a food as possible for the masses, who also eat a lot of it, b/c most don't realize it's allergy free. But it takes a lot of time and work (even if I keep the money in check).

I don't have the 9 allergies...I only have 2...but if I relied on other folks, they don't tend to put my 2 together b/c they are an uncommon combo (everyone thinks gluten + dairy or peanuts + dairy...and never tree nuts + dairy:)...so this way, I cover myself and almost everyone else...and my kids can eat all the other allergen-galore food...win/win for my family.

Maybe instead of a complaint make a simple very specific and clear request, like can you please make a chicken breast and cucumber salad with vinegar for me, maybe a bowl of broccoli and onion dip. Maybe other people will ask after you do it. Sometimes people just don't know what to do and with all the food issues people have it can be impossible to include everyone seems best to just be very direct. My kid had a peanut allergy friend and the mom told me to read the labels, ummm a level of responsibility I am not prepared for so I pressed for a list and when I got one it was easy.

You can also teach by example and bring a few things with a note saying the thing diabetic friendly so people know, it can be tricky for people.
I agree completely! I know how frustrating it can be to show up and feel "unappreciated" or "ignored", but try the request first, before the complaint. You get more flies with honey, than vinegar. (If you hate cliches, just ignore that last one. And yeah, I also get this is in the past, but going forward or for anyone else who faces similar issues).

I was told max 90g for the day. Often I keep breakfast around 20-25. Packed lunches I can keep low as I usually only have protein and fruit/veggies.
Total carbs or net carbs? That seems incredibly low to me for total carbs. My initial target was 285/day. Which is in line with the the ADA recommendations for my caloric needs. 75g per meal with two 30g snacks.

When doing events for huge crowds, the more you juggle, the harder it is and the more you make mistakes (on top of how much pricier it gets b/c you can't buy veg just for the 3-4 who need it, but you have to buy for everyone who might want it). And the more likely they cancel it b/c it becomes too hard.

Thus, keeping in mind price and ease when it comes to suggestions...

i get that but if this is a lunch being provided by the employer to the employees they also have to balance the cost of potential liability vs. buying 2 additional veggies/sugar free salad dressing. if this is a work event and they are not taking care to ensure that all allergy/medical conditions are considered in formulating a menu then they are opening themselves up if someone has a medical episode. offering water if someone cannot drink soda ensures hydration so they are covered on that aspect, not providing at least some type of food that is appropriate for a diabetic is foolhardy.

as for them canceling it-i'm honestly surprised to hear of any employer doing this these days. 20-30 years back employers were doing away with these because of liability OR they charged a token 'fee' ($1 per person) so that the employee was a purchaser of the lunch and waived employer liability.

i get that but if this is a lunch being provided by the employer to the employees they also have to balance the cost of potential liability vs. buying 2 additional veggies/sugar free salad dressing. if this is a work event and they are not taking care to ensure that all allergy/medical conditions are considered in formulating a menu then they are opening themselves up if someone has a medical episode. offering water if someone cannot drink soda ensures hydration so they are covered on that aspect, not providing at least some type of food that is appropriate for a diabetic is foolhardy.

as for them canceling it-i'm honestly surprised to hear of any employer doing this these days. 20-30 years back employers were doing away with these because of liability OR they charged a token 'fee' ($1 per person) so that the employee was a purchaser of the lunch and waived employer liability.

But there is appropriate food for a diabetic - a burger with no bun. So, they have no liability.

It's just not a desired lunch, and OP is trying to find a way to make it more desirable. I get that impulse and support it. But you want to make sure you consider how your requests might affect an event for all. Keeps the asks small and doable (and likely popular)...and if they get done this year, maybe try another one next year. And if they don't happen this year, maybe get on the team planning the event next year, b/c those who do the work tend to be able to guide the results.

As someone who has had to plan large lunches like this, I agree that I'm surprised at a minimum Diet Coke (or similar) isn't provided. So many people LOVE a diet soda so I think it should always be a choice at any function.

After that, it gets sticky with all the food requirements. I think all I can say here is that from a diabetic perspective, there are ways to make some of these "mass" meals diabetic friendly and I'm sure that's what they are thinking. It's much harder for people with food allergies or gluten intolerances to get creative.

But you want to make sure you consider how your requests might affect an event for all.

if my request in this scenario ensured appropriate food options for everyone at the event i would consider it a positive affect. the likelyhood of the op being the only diabetic employee is highly unlikely-perhaps she is just the only one willing to bring this to the employer's attention.

As someone who has had to plan large lunches like this, I agree that I'm surprised at a minimum Diet Coke (or similar) isn't provided. So many people LOVE a diet soda so I think it should always be a choice at any function.

After that, it gets sticky with all the food requirements. I think all I can say here is that from a diabetic perspective, there are ways to make some of these "mass" meals diabetic friendly and I'm sure that's what they are thinking. It's much harder for people with food allergies or gluten intolerances to get creative.
That's what I figure too. But add in some veggies!

That's what I figure too. But add in some veggies!

i wonder if they THINK they are meeting this need by virtue of veggie based 'burger' patties. 10 years of my kids attending a school that was strictly vegetarian taught me that depending on the individual vegetarian product-veggies may be very low on the list of ingredients.

IME of paying for this type of catering, fresh fruits and veggies are fairly rarely provided because caterers charge quite a lot for them; mostly labor in creating pretty platters of peeled/chopped pieces that won't turn brown before being served. If you can accept whole raw fruits and veggies you'll probably have better luck getting them provided.

Iced tea is usually a catering standard because it is cheap to provide a lot of it, and it *is* very popular in some parts of the country, but it's far from universally liked, and offering both "sweet" and "unsweet" will again increase your costs. (People who really care about their Sweet Tea will tell you that adding packets of sugar to glasses of Unsweet Iced Tea is not the same flavor at all; to get actual Sweet Tea, the sugar must be added while the tea is still very hot.) Conversely, bottled iced tea is more expensive to provide than soft drinks; it's only cheap when it's served in pitchers or from large beverage dispensers.

A lot of places will offer cheese (sticks or slices) as an extra suitable for diabetics, because they can cheaply be gotten individually wrapped (so that the vegans and the dairy-allergic can easily avoid them.) They are not ideal, of course, but it's a commonly suggested option.

Last edited:
So is the issue just that they're not offering you diet soda? IDK, to me water seems like a totally reasonable, healthy option and if you really want a diet soda, just bring one.

It's great to try to have a variety, but you can't please everyone with everything. In my opinion this is how nice things get ruined (too many complaints/making it too difficult). This seems to just be something nice the company provides that is voluntary to take part in no? I'm sure they would be fine with you bringing your own preferences.

So if you are diabetic and your work has a summer BBQ which is hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, etc. What do you eat? Just a plain hamburger patty and water? With veggies if they have them?
I love large curd cottage cheese with burgers so I’d put a couple of the individual portions in a lunch bag with fruit flavored seltzer/club soda. Probably add any green veggies they are serving to the plate and call it a meal. For dessert a piece of fruit might be nice.

I have to say as rampant as diabetes has become in today’s society its sad that the party planners aren’t keeping up with the times ☹️

So is the issue just that they're not offering you diet soda? IDK, to me water seems like a totally reasonable, healthy option and if you really want a diet soda, just bring one.

It's great to try to have a variety, but you can't please everyone with everything. In my opinion this is how nice things get ruined (too many complaints/making it too difficult). This seems to just be something nice the company provides that is voluntary to take part in no? I'm sure they would be fine with you bringing your own preferences.
No my complaint is that other dietary restrictions are considered but not diabetics,

And of course I could bring my own drink,
But not really great to give everyone else several drink options and tell the diabetics they can drink water.

Similar idea to me ensuring my vegan relatives have options when I host but when I go to their place it’s pasta, breads and sugar drinks. Well not the same but another little vent.

Last edited:
I just roll with the situation at hand. I am in the habit of always having water with me so I bring it to the company lunch functions.

As for the food. I am in a blue collar industry so the offerings tend to be BBQ, hearty sandwiches etc. The sauces are on the side which is perfect so I can just the protein. I will remove most of the bread from the sandwiches and cut it up with a knife.

Not 100% the best but happy for the meal and to hang out with fellow co-workers which usually doesn't happen. Cheers.

And for the record I’m just a tad annoyed. It’s not a big deal. Just something I was thinking about and talking over lunch with my coworkers.
I put a bug into the ear of a friend on the social committee.

I can make adjustments to other meals, not eat the bun, etc.

...but I do eat fruit
This part of your post caught my attention. And underscores how difficult it can be for the people deciding on the food. Fruit is number one on my Doctor's list of food T2 diabetics should not eat. The only exception being apples. So while your Doctor says you can eat fruit (I assume he knows), my says I can't. And yes I cheat, but boy does it show up when I check my blood sugar,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter