Work computer stinks

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
They ordered me new computer at work “Dell” and Keyboard and mouse pad are awful. Worse design I’ve ever worked with. Mouse pad is ridicuously big for no reason. No number pad.
You have to hit in very cornnof
This giant mousepad to right click or it goes to cell losing range in excel. It’s almost
Like they tried to make it bad.

Sympathies. I can't stand the mousepad on my computer--I use a wireless mouse and change the settings to turn off the mousepad when another mouse is installed.

I've had a Microsoft Surface for about 5 years (2 different ones, because they update regularly without really needing to, IMO), and both have been really great.

I can't imagine a business not including a number keypad, though.

@Cogswel_Cogs: If you can afford it, purchase your own keyboard, one you choose, and your own mouse. Keep them locked in your desk or locker or wherever when you're not there. This is what I'd do, since no way would I be spending hours typing on a lousy Dell keyboard.
:thumbsup2 Totally agree. I forgot (doh!) I also have a keyboard I use when I've attached the laptop to a bigger screen.

I agree that you should buy your own keyboard and mouse. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. The mouse my job gave me sucks so I went and bought one on Amazon that works WAY better.

How mobile are you? Even if you travel a lot, I suggest getting a wireless mouse (if your new computer has bluetooth capability, even better). This is the one I have... https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Por...awiKEab_UsBFykp304F0HPJv6dcaAgIUEALw_wcB&th=1

Trackpads can be a pain, I'm going to have to look for the setting @lovesmurfs mentioned because the trackpad on my keyboard is right under the space bar.

I do have a number pad at least. Maybe get a dedicated keyboard (can get wireless ones too) if you have to work at the same location a lot (I wouldn't want to lug a keyboard everywhere, maybe just a number pad?)

The external keyboard I got for when I'm at my home office is great, but I found it doesn't have PGUP, PGDOWN, END, or HOME keys. :P So make sure anything you get has the keys you want.

We have Dell laptops for work, but we each get a wireless keyboard and mouse combo to pair with it since we normally work from 2 larger screens tethered to the laptop. We use something like the Logitech MK735 keyboard and mouse combo.

I agree that you should buy your own keyboard and mouse. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. The mouse my job gave me sucks so I went and bought one on Amazon that works WAY better.

Yup. Just the the Logitecch wireless KBM combo - I think it's like 20 bucks at Target!

I already order mouse / number pad duo - thinks it’s coming today. I’m just baffled that dell could make one this bad.

I already order mouse / number pad duo - thinks it’s coming today. I’m just baffled that dell could make one this bad.
I'm super picky about keyboards, so keep that in mind when I say that the Dell keyboards are the WORST.

@Cogswel_Cogs: If you can afford it, purchase your own keyboard, one you choose, and your own mouse. Keep them locked in your desk or locker or wherever when you're not there. This is what I'd do, since no way would I be spending hours typing on a lousy Dell keyboard.
Agreed with this. I'm one of those weirdos that like the "natural" keyboard, and I have a mouse that I like. I prefer trackballs to be honest, but they seem to break down more.

Dell is a funny brand. I find them to be perfectly fine for personal use, but I don't like the business models at all.

Agreed with this. I'm one of those weirdos that like the "natural" keyboard, and I have a mouse that I like. I prefer trackballs to be honest, but they seem to break down more.

Dell is a funny brand. I find them to be perfectly fine for personal use, but I don't like the business models at all.
Oh how I wish my company had stuck with Dell. Before I retired they switch to HP because they could save a few bucks. The failure rate in the first few months are unbelievable. All warranty, but still a hassle.
I did buy a new Dell desktop at home last year, but I reused my old keyboard at first. The old keyboard died, and yes the Dell provided keyboard is a bit odd.

Oh how I wish my company had stuck with Dell. Before I retired they switch to HP because they could save a few bucks. The failure rate in the first few months are unbelievable. All warranty, but still a hassle.
I assume that when you say that they were "trying to save a few bucks" you meant that the company decided "we're getting the cheapest computers we can"?

I assume that when you say that they were "trying to save a few bucks" you meant that the company decided "we're getting the cheapest computers we can"?
Lowest price, yes. Adds up when you are buying 6,500 desktops at once. While our corporate folks made the decision, our IT guys were baffled as both used the same components.

I would say that it's more your IT department being stingy with their purchases. A Yugo instead of a Toyota.
They asked me if I had a preference.
I gave them data requirements I needed for the data work I do. THe number pad I should have looked into. There is no way I would have ever guessed that Dell could create such a horrid mouse pad. I am going to see if there is a setting I can change. Its really the biggest issue as unless you in the tiny corner you loose you set range in excel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter