Wolfgang Pucks "The Dining Room"--dinner review.

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
"Live, Love, Eat" the menu says and we ate quite well the night we tried Wolfgangs "Upstairs" dining room. You actually enter the restaurant thru the same entrance as used for the cafe. Just inside, there is a second podium, where you are greeted and then taken up the stairs to the dining area.
I was actually expecting a place just a bit more "formal", given the different menu. But the servers all seemed dressed the same as their counterparts downstairs, and among the diners that night, there were mostly "resort casual" folks, and even a few "theme park" casual. So getting too dressed up just isn't necessary for this restaurant, tho you'd probably feel most comfortable in resort casual as opposed to shorts and a t-shirt--. Should add also that there were a few children in the restaurant that evening--not many, but some.
We had a table in the center of the restaurant, with a nice view of the lake and Saratoga Springs. Our server was Hien, and his assistant that night was Dennis. Both did a fine job and we were well taken care of the whole evening. Service was well paced, but not rushed--the way I like it.
For drinks, Mrs U had a glass of Reisling, while I had a Sam Adams. Again, as with virtually all WDW restaurants, the wine list is nice-the beer list paltry. Seems everyone can't wait to tell me they have Michelob Ultra---.
The menu was very nice and interesting to boot. They do offer a "Chefs Tour" consisting of 6 courses for $74.95 per person and added wine pairings at $34. 95 additional. We were tempted-but that night the "tour" entrees were Ahi tuna and rack of lamb. I'm not much on half-raw tuna, and Mrs U dosen't like either one. So maybe next time they'll have something more appealing--
For an appetizer, Mrs. U had bacon wrapped and crab stuffed shrimp, with apricot horseradish colis. For me, the jumbo lump blue crabcake. Hers was by far the best--the crabcake was good too and even had some jumbo lump meat. By WDW standards quite good. But just not up to Md. crabcake standards, which are how all crabcakes are measured.:D
For her entree, Mrs U had grilled Grouper, with tropical chipolte relish, sugar peas stir-fry and citrus nage. Uncleromulus decided on Weinerschnitzel Kartoffelsat .
(Yes. I know what you are thinking. This isn't the Yodel Hut. Why is Unclromulus ordering Wienerschnitzel at a fine restaurant?? )Well--because he likes it, and it's actually the signature dish!!.
This was a nice size thin slice of veal, with a crisp, lemon flavored coating. Alongside was a generous helping of warm Austrian Potato salad. Filling, and very good.
Desserts were also excellent--for Mrs. U, a Key West napoleon with a layering of guava sorbet, coconut ice cream, and baked meringue. A fine combination of flavor (I should know, as I had some!!). I ordered the Ice Cream Palatte.. a crispy painters palette tuile with colorful home made ice cream on top. It was a delightful presentation-the tuile looked exactly like an artist's pallette, while the different colored ice cream was placed around it to look like the actual paint!!
We had coffee to end the meal and we both agreed that this is definitely on our return list in May.

We have had a Puck's open up in our neck of the woods and was tempted to try but not until I read a review from you.

Maybe next time I'll give it a try!

Thanks!

Scratch
pirate:

Enjoyed the review. (as usual)

I am not sure the chef's tour changes at all. It sounds like the same entrees as we had in January 2002.

If you do decide to go back in May, they have a "Chef's Cuisine" which is a six course meal with wine pairing but nothing from the menu. About a week ahead of time, you call and talk to the chef, tell them what you like and don't like. They prepare an exquisite meal. It costs about $30 more than the chef's tour. You get a personalized menu as a keepsake.

When we did the Chef's cuisine, our only request was no suishi or semi raw fish. So, we get there and the first course was suishi. I was ready to say something until I realized it was cooked, cooked suishi! Anyway, it was a fabulous evening.

Ed

Mr. U., it makes perfect sense to me why you would order the Wienerschnitzel...Mr. Puck, is, after all, Austrian! Okay, I am hungry after reading your review. I think I'll have to talk my family into Friday night dinner at the Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter. It is a wonderful German restaurant just down the road from us with more schnitzels than I could possibly pronounce.

Thanks for the review. We have eaten at the Wolfgang downstairs but never upstairs. After reading your review we will have to go upstairs in the future.

Thanks for the review. We have dined at Pucks in Maui and also in Las Vegas, but have yet to try his restaurant in WDW. While in Vegas, we enjoyed the restaurant so much, we ate there twice. On one of the visits, my DH had weiner schnitzel and absolutely loved it. I will definitely go there next August, thanks again.

Sounds like we'll have to try WGP Dining Room again one of these trips. We've only had dinner there once and service was uneven that night. Sounds much better now. We'll have to give it another go!

We have a great Austrian/German spot in our area too. Nothing wrong with a good schnitzel.

betterlatethan never:
Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that option. Sounds like something we'll do in May--.

I love your reviews, and have been looking forward to this one because I have a PS at Puck's upstairs for my first trip to WDW in November. Since I've haven't seen many reviews about the resturant yet, I've been considering switching them to another place at DTD, but after your review I'm more inclined to keep it.

My one lingering doubt is that you specifically noted the few children. I'm traveling with my 2 toddlers. That fact has kept me from making PS at some of the other places you so eloquently reviewed (V&A, BlueZoo). which don't really seem like "children- resturants" (too elegant, too cool). Our PS is relatively early (6pm). After visiting, would you say that Puck's upstairs is suitable for families, or is it more of an "adult place"?

Thanks.

Thanks for the excellent review. As 1833 said, this is one restaurant that doesn't get a lot of reviews here on the DIS, so it was great to hear about your experience there. :D

Another great review which always gives DW and I ideas for our trips.::yes:: :wave2:

1833:
I'd say it's "more" of an adult place--especially since the Cafe downstairs usually has all (or most) of the kids.
The few kids we saw that night were of the pre-teen variety and not toddlers. But that said, children are certainly "welcome'" there and tho I didn't actually look for it, I'm also sure they have a children's menu.
So I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it and by no means if you take the kids will you be causing any sort of a sensation--.

Uncleromulus-

Excellent review(s) ! Thank You!

I will be watching for your review of "Yodel Hut" with much anticipation! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter