Wk of Feb 4--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Team

Abra Cat Kristi NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
angietuck2 Angie FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
cdn gal eeyore Leana Alberta
Chernabog#1Fan FL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload Dawn GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
deekaypee ND
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice Duane FL
eeyore45 Sandy IL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gsu1988 Ken GA
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
jam217 PA
JCTigger Jill MA
Jen117 Jen WI
jodistar Jodi CT
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
panthergirl Susan NC
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks IL
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

I have to go back and read all the posts I missed, but wanted to say "Congratulations, Minnie!" :thumbsup2 :woohoo: :cool1:

We went to the gym this morning just long enough for me to do a 5K on the TM. I barely made it-- someone came over and got on the machine next to me and was so odiferous that I literally faltered and almost got ill. UGH! Barely finished, but if anything, it prompted me to hustle and move on. :confused3
Did 5 minute warmup at 4.0 -- .33 miles; then 3.1 in 41:30 (13:23 pace). My first mile was my fastest ever -- 12:20!!
Crazy day after that with Andrew's All-State Chorus performance. WOW! Those kids are so talented! I LOVE that I can still pick Andrew's voice out in that entire choir. He is a tenor now and his voice is so beautiful!
Tomorrow is the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics. I remember someone else here is doing it too, but I'm sorry I can't find the earlier post or remember who it was. I will be thinking of you, though! :thumbsup2 I'm really concerned about the fact that this is the coldest it has ever been in the 9 years we've been involved -- the wind chill up here is going to be about 7, I think, and I haven't had the nerve to check the beach forecast. BRRRRR...... :eek: :scared:
Talk to you all tomorrow!

Best run ever today :yay: Just call me Lightning McQueen...10 miles in 2:02:40 for a 12:16 pace :banana: I've had a long-time goal to run 5 miles in under an hour...my five-mile split was 59:35 :dance3: It was cold and rainy today, sprinkling when I first started, then off and on rain throughout. My teeth were actually chattering during the first interval until I got warmed up. But...I was thinking of Stephanie when she did a LR on a really cold, really rainy day...helped me keep going!

I'm also working through the gels. I ordered more Gu chocolate and Vanilla...they're the only ones I really have tolerated so far. I got some Honey Stingers that were totally nasty :crazy2: Definitely don't recommed those!

And I did try the cold water bath today. I actually did okay, as long as I didn't move and disturb the water. Not sure if it helped though...still had sore legs, but then I did hit the warm shower afterward.

Carrie...somehow I missed your TM incident. Hope you're feeling okay!

Judy...how did your first day of Minnie training go?

Cam...I was looking for a new quote for my sig when I found this one and thought of you.
"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine
I think Pre would've been proud of you.

Minnie...congrats on the job offer!

Dave...congrats on your 8 miler! :hug: for you with the DD issues. Mine are like night and day. I'm afraid the wild todd will make us all pull our hair out!

Jim, Chernabog...where abouts in FL are you guys?

Christa...congrats on your run! That's way cold!

Monte...good job on the TM!

Maggie...great time on your LW!

Dena...US is sooo exciting :goodvibes I didn't find out what DD14 was going to be (didn't have drugs during delivery either :scared1: ) DD3...knew she was to be a girl, but didn't believe it (I was sure she was a boy). Oh...and had the epidural ::yes::

Jackie...great run...especially with that crazy TM! I would not survive without the display...you're hardcore!

Jen...welcome back home! Negative temps all week!?!?!? Yikes!

Meghan...how scary! Glad your DD wasn't involved!

Carole...I open two windows, one to read the previous thread, one to write a response.

:welcome: Leana! What type of training are you doing?

Cecilia...how did your run go?

Mike (Optimator)...you do know we'll be wanting to see your toenails at the next WISH meet ;)

Speaking of which, I decided to go back to blue toenails with stars (so I could be like Mike ;) ) I did have a bruised little toe on the left after the half, but thought it would be okay. Noticed today that the nail is half off...looks like I'll be losing my first toenail! So now I believe I have met all of the criteria...I have taken a cold water bath, I can take an entire Gu while running and not yak, and I'm about to lose my first toenail. I am a runner :)

Good training everyone!

Hello,

I would love to be "officially " added to your group. I have been lurking around these boards for a while, and I have found out through finishing my college degree, that teamwork makes a difference.:cool1:

We are doing our last long run before we do the Gasparilla 1/2 in 2 weeks. I think I'm feeling a little burnt out since we did not take a break after doing the Disney 1/2, but I still love the run. My DH on the other hand is going through one of his "why do we do this " phases. Me, I still love the feeling of accomplishment. I laughed at a guy about a year a go that asked me if I was doing the Disney Marathon that weekend ( I was not a "runner" at the time) Now, not only have I finished a 1/2, my goal for the Minnie is to increase my speed !!:woohoo:

The Minnie 15 will be the day after my college graduation :thumbsup2 very exciting. Better late than never.

Good luck to everyone no matter what the goals or motivations for doing what we do !! :wizard:

Angie

I'm also working through the gels. I ordered more Gu chocolate and Vanilla...they're the only ones I really have tolerated so far. I got some Honey Stingers that were totally nasty :crazy2: Definitely don't recommed those!

And I did try the cold water bath today. I actually did okay, as long as I didn't move and disturb the water. Not sure if it helped though...still had sore legs, but then I did hit the warm shower afterward.

Jim, Chernabog...where abouts in FL are you guys?

Good training everyone!

Thanks for the reminder about Gu. I'm down to only a couple left and Gasparilla is coming up. Need to pick up some more before that.

Are you going to be at Gasparilla? I'm running the full and DS16 is running the half.

I'm in the Daytona Beach area.

And congratulation on your ice bath. I did not take one yesterday. It was cold and wet enough for me on my run that the muscles never did build up much heat.

Hello,

I would love to be "officially " added to your group. I have been lurking around these boards for a while, and I have found out through finishing my college degree, that teamwork makes a difference.:cool1:

We are doing our last long run before we do the Gasparilla 1/2 in 2 weeks. I think I'm feeling a little burnt out since we did not take a break after doing the Disney 1/2, but I still love the run. My DH on the other hand is going through one of his "why do we do this " phases. Me, I still love the feeling of accomplishment. I laughed at a guy about a year a go that asked me if I was doing the Disney Marathon that weekend ( I was not a "runner" at the time) Now, not only have I finished a 1/2, my goal for the Minnie is to increase my speed !!:woohoo:

The Minnie 15 will be the day after my college graduation :thumbsup2 very exciting. Better late than never.

Good luck to everyone no matter what the goals or motivations for doing what we do !! :wizard:

Angie

And here is one of many Official welcomes you will get.

My DS16 and I will be at Gasparilla too. Meet?

Running Question - I have never run with a hat on, except when it is cold. After running in the rain on Saturday I'm thinking about starting to run with a hat to keep the sun and rain off my face.

Since I run in hot weather most of the time I'm concerned about heat build up. During the last few races it was so hot I had to dump water on my head.

I've been looking at the tech hats. Some say they help keep you cool because the sun is not hitting you.

Does running with a tech hat/runners hat help?

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I have a question: Does anyone know when they open registration for the Disney 5k and kid's races on marathon weekend? I missed it last year because I didn't know they would fill up so fast.

RunningLilo, I emailed Active.com to find out, and they weren't able to give me a definite answer, so I've been checking here http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/marathon/events/detail?name=Marathon2008MarathonFamilyFunRun5KRegisterDetailPage regularly.

Running Question - I have never run with a hat on, except when it is cold. After running in the rain on Saturday I'm thinking about starting to run with a hat to keep the sun and rain off my face.

scuba diver, I'm pretty new to this, but Jeff Galloway says do not wear a hat unless you're running in cold weather. He says that hats keep heat from being released through the top of your head, which is only a good thing when it's cold out. Hope this helps.

I run in a hat. I found last summer that it definately keeps me cooler. However, I have black hair so pehaps the white hat helps because of my hair color? A hat also helps keep the sweat from dripping in my eyes. Everyone I run with wears a hat as well and every one has their favorite.

Dena - Thanks for sharing about your baby! I knew the sex of each of our babies - amnio doesn't leave any doubts - but I always wanted to be surprised. Congratulations!

Dave & Mel - Thanks for asking about my run.
Yesterday was the first Saturday group run that I had to struggle to get to. I turns out, everyone struggled to get to it - only 3 of us showed up. I ended up running a quick 8 miles with a time of 1:11. Go figure that it would be one of my best runs ever!

:confused: I have some pain on the outside edge of my right foot. Nothing in the foot books describes this. I had it once before when I ran a fast 5k so I am hoping it was just my pace yesterday and it will go away. Has anyone else had this?

Cecilia

Morning all! Rest day for me today. And good thing, b/c DS has woken up with a GI bug! Ugh, already done laundry and given him a bath!

Jim--I always wear a hat. Mainly b/c my hair is so crazy nobody wants to see it. I have a Nike hat that I love--I have just ordered one of the WISH visors, and I"m hoping to use that when the temps start rising this summer

Angie-Welcome!:welcome:

Off to fix breakfast!

Mel

That's great stuff making the 5 mile split in 59:35, 11:55 per mile. Now just how much faster EXACTLY is this split compared to your first file 5 mile effort when we all started talking? Look back and you'll see how far you have come.

Hold that pace for 15K = 1:51:06, for the half = 2:36:15, for the full marathon = 5:12:30. Now that I have given you these goals for the coming year, I expect you to meet them and you can tell me all about it when I see you next January.

Any decision yet about Pharm College?

Craig

Mel

That's great stuff making the 5 mile split in 59:35, 11:55 per mile. Now just how much faster EXACTLY is this split compared to your first file 5 mile effort when we all started talking? Look back and you'll see how far you have come.

Hold that pace for 15K = 1:51:06, for the half = 2:36:15, for the full marathon = 5:12:30. Now that I have given you these goals for the coming year, I expect you to meet them and you can tell me all about it when I see you next January.

Any decision yet about Pharm College?

Craig

My very first 5 miles ever? I had to look it up...September 2, 2005...5.16 miles in 1:20:01 for a 15:30 pace. I was doing W4/R1 at that time and struggling to complete the R1. I'm most relieved this run went so well...my 10 before the last WDW half was a trainwreck...2:17:29.

I'm definitely looking for a sub 2 hour 15K at the Minnie. I'll have to print out a pace band for the half in March. I'm shooting for 2:45, but I'll see what 2:35 looks like. And for the full...I dunno...I'll be happy just to finish, but registered with a 5:30.
And thanks for all of your support and advice :hug:

Haven't heard anything more about the pharmacy school. I imagine they're still trying to get everything in place for their first class. I'll email the dean as soon as I get through my re-cert test this week! I did speak to DD14s class about drug discovery and development last Friday...trying to get some 'practice' in ;)

Morning guys! So I am new to the WISH boards - I just signed up for the Minnie Marathon in May and the Goofy next year. Right now the biggest obstacle to my running is the snow! Anyone have any tips for running safely in the snow? I don't have access to a treadmill, so it is either outside or no running at all.:sad1: I am planning on following Hal Higdon's 15K training plan, so that officially starts at the end of February. Until then I'm running about 3 mi every other day, weather permitting!

I'd like to join! I'm thinking that I may do the half marathon in 2008 that gives me a new goal to work towards beside weight loss! What do I need to do... I started at the gym for the first time in my life yesterday.. and I did a mile on the treadmill and with the trainer (who came free with my membership for 8 weeks hehe) I did the circut so I was at the gym for a little over 90 minutes but I wasnt working out for the whole time since I was learning the machines so I'll say 90 minutes....

Jill

Have you tried running in snowshoes? That's popular here in Summit County, Colorado

Morning guys! So I am new to the WISH boards - I just signed up for the Minnie Marathon in May and the Goofy next year. Right now the biggest obstacle to my running is the snow! Anyone have any tips for running safely in the snow? I don't have access to a treadmill, so it is either outside or no running at all.:sad1: I am planning on following Hal Higdon's 15K training plan, so that officially starts at the end of February. Until then I'm running about 3 mi every other day, weather permitting!

Good morning everyone!

Mel - Great job on your run!

Cecilia - Take care of that foot.

Angie, Jill, and Leana - :welcome:

9 miles this morning at a 12:45 pace. :cool2: ;)

Congrats Minnie!

Mel
- you inspired me this morning! I read what you wrote about doing your first 5 miler under 1 hour earlier this morning. And I thought, I am close, I should try to do that too. And since I had a 5 miler scheduled for today anyway...(w3/r1):
12:00
11:46
11:54
59:42! :woohoo:

And, I didn't even have to elbow anyone! :rotfl: There were walkers that were walking faster than me out there this morning. I am used to being the fast walker on the track! Man, I gotta work on that! ;)

Hi!

Drive by post..I'll be back to read & write later, I just wanted to get in this week's thread...I'm two weeks into building my base, and it feels great!

Maria

MEL - THAT IS AWESOME!!! I did my very first 5 miler in under an hour last week. I can't remember exactly, but it was 59:30ish. And I had a little more to give. Since then I have been a total slacker tho, not totally my fault. Work is pretty much my nemesis. I am not sure how I will find time to train for my 1/2 in May... and I thought training during the Holidays was hard. SO... if I sign up for the Full in January, I maybe can pace with you!!!

Kristi - You are right on too!!! Great 5 miles!!!

Leana - I don't run in the snow. I have a fear of slipping since where I live is slacky on snow scraping. If the conditions are bad, I opt for the indoor track. 11 miles is 132 laps... and enough to make you go batty. But I got 'er done!

Lilo - I didn't register my girls for the kids races until Oct/Nov time. The kids races didn't fill up, but I know the 5K was full pretty quick.

OK, the kids are "supposed" to be napping. This is my first afternoon in about 3 weeks that I am home. I get to do cleaning until the Super Bowl... did I mention I hate my job and all the traveling I have done lately!!!!! Thank God I have a wonderful husband that takes care of the kids when I am forced to leave.

HAPPY SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!!

Since I run in hot weather most of the time I'm concerned about heat build up. During the last few races it was so hot I had to dump water on my head.

I've been looking at the tech hats. Some say they help keep you cool because the sun is not hitting you.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the tech hats will make a difference but I hate running with a hat. I like yourself am used to running in the heat in the great sunshine state but I get MUCH hotter :scared1: when I run with a hat. My husband prefers a hat, but the heat build up does not bother him!!!

Angie

We should meet up at Gasparilla. Have you done it before, I heard it's a really nice run along the water. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter