Wk of Feb 11--WISH Walking/Running Club

OK, drive-by post for me... I was out at 7:30am on my LR this morning. It was about 16 degrees here, cold and snowy. About 2 miles into my run I came to a 4 way intersection. I had the green light, and the walk signal was still on too. A car comes to the intersection from the left looking to make a right turn onto my street. He doesn't even stop at the intersection. Does the old rolling through the intersection, he see's there are no cars coming and guns it to make the right turn. I was right in front of him. I hit the car with my hands to push myself back from it. If I was another step further, he would have hit me straight on, and I would have rolled over the hood. It really shook me up and made me anxious for the rest of my run. Every intersection I came to I was jumpy. I was planning for 12 miles, but at 8 I was near the house again and just bagged it at that point. I did 8 miles in 1:22.20 min for a 10:15 mpm pace. My legs felt great. No tiredness or soreness at all, but I wasn't so into the run. I'm tired of the cold and snow. I want my canal trail back so I can get off the street and stop dealing with traffic.

:scared1: Dave!! :scared1:
Wow, I have had some close encounters but not THAT close! I am so glad you are okay! I hope it shook the driver of the car up too. What a scary scary thing to happen. Glad you feel good after your shortened run.

By the way, I did the extra miles for you. I went out for a lazy ten miler but my friends talked me into going 14 instead. I am such a sucker for peer pressure! Not oonly that but we did it in 2:15. So much for lazy. I am feeling a little stiff right now, so I am off to the ice bath. UGH! I have been cold all morning! I really should have been born a black bear. Hibernating sounds heavenly.

Cecilia

Well, after being sick this week, I got back on my home TM for a 37 minute wog. It felt good to be back into it. I did a R3/W2, but the runs were faster than my normal TM pace. I could have gone longer, but with being sick and dehydrated just 3 days ago, I didn't want to push it.

DAVE!!! I am so glad you didn't get hurt. I hate running on the streets. Even my residential streets are scary. People just don't watch anymore. I am 1 mile from an railway trail, so I can run to that and run the trail. But the trail is really flat, so I sometimes need to run on the streets and roads for hill work.

Dreambeliever - WELCOME!! :hippie:

GOOD LUCK to everyone running races this weekend. I can't wait to hear all the reports. Up here in the North Woods, we have very few opportunities in the winter. I can't wait until spring!!!!

I am off to get a shower and then we are off to Disney on Ice. The girls are super excited. They each get 1 over priced souvenir and maybe come over priced popcorn!!! :yay: But seriously, it will be a great time. After all, it's DISNEY!

DAVE: Wow! I'm glad you're OK. Did the driver stop or even indicate that he was sorry in any way? Great job on the 8 miles.

DreamBeliever: Welcome, welcome! You'll love these boards.

Monte: glad you got to stay home. Since we were dealing with the aftermath of the storm that hit here, I hadn't heard that you were supposed to get another one! CO has been inundated with it this year. Great for the ski slopes. I'll be with Craig the weekend of the marathon; looking forward to seeing the website about it.

OK, so, I went to the indoor track (1/8 mile track) so I could stay off the TM. The track team, which was supposed to be done by 10:00 STARTED at 10:00. I ended up in the outside lane, which really wasn't bad and I thought co-existing would work. MOST of the team members honored that--except for one. She decided to sit with her feet in the outside lane. When I finally made a big show of jumping over her feet, the next time around she wasn't sitting there. ;)

The ends of the track are sloped. I found that as long as I went counter-clockwise around the track, but bad leg was higher, which is good and it didn't bother me. When I went clock-wise the bad leg was lower than the good leg and that did hurt it. So, around and around for 45 minutes. Got a bit dizzy there. :laughing:

Overall, not too bad.

To everyone lucky enough to be running a race this weekend: :cheer2: mucho good luck!!

Dave--Glad to hear you are OK! That would have scared the heck out of me. WTG for continuing on..not sure I would have been able to.

Dream Believer - :welcome:

Dave - Glad you didn't get hurt! Yikes! How scary! I'm really impressed that you were able to keep going after that.

Jen - Have fun at Disney on Ice! Glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Dave- that is so scary! I'm so glad to have a TM this winter, as I esp hate to have to mess with getting out of the cars way because of the snowy roads. Plus, all our ditches are full of snow, there's nowhere to go! It's good that nothing happened to you, and as another poster mentioned, maybe the driver will wake up to athletes from now on!

Monte, we didn't get any snow yesterday, only tons of wind that blew all the snow around. (which is almost as bad as actual snow!) It's good your not a popsicle!

I really worked on speed today, and I did 3.32 miles in 46 minutes. That includes warmup & cooldown.

Dave - OUT OF CONTROL! Glad you are OK! I know that shook you up quite a bit! I have kicked and hit a car b/4. Do these people not know to look for us????? Running and biking has made me a better driver.;)

Dream Believer - Love your screen name! And a big WELCOME!:welcome:

DH has put my biking on hold today and NO RUNNING. I am feeling a little better but he feels like I am still too:sick: to be outside in this cold air. :sad2:
At least I got a 12 something miler in yesterday. I don't like this not feeling well and having to stop to recover thing.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Dave--I'm so glad you are okay! Scary--can't believe you kept going!

Christa--Good for your DH for keeping you from over-doing it. :thumbsup2

DreamBeliver--Welcome!!!

Okay, so here's my race report. One word--WINDY!!!!!!!! I finished the 15K (9.3miles) in 1:24:12 (but I think that time is a little long b/c I didn't stop the Garmin when I crossed the finish--I'll check the official results later!) It was an out and back course. We were flying the first 5 miles--mainly due to the 30mph tailwind.:woohoo: But guess what happened when we turned around--30mph headwind!!!:scared1: It was awful. There were places on the course that I could feel my cheeks (the ones on my face;) ) flapping the in wind; like people ina wind tunnel!:eek: And during the last mile I could walk faster than run b/c the wind was so bad! Also, according to my Garmin the course was almost 0.2 miles long. DH finished in 1:36. This was his longest distance in a while. I"m very proud of him. We didn't stay long enough to see if I placed in my age division--wind was just too bad! I sure hope MelR isn't dealing with these same conditions for her 50K--I can't even imagine!

So here are the boring details:
Mile 1: 8:31
Mile 2: 8:41
Mile 3: 8:45
Mile 4: 8:29
Mile 5: 8:27
Mile 6: 9:04 (turnaround time!!)
Mile 7: 9:17
Mile 8: 8:53 (sheltered a little from the wind)
Mile 9: 9:44
Last .3: 4:17

Hey guys this is gonna be a short post I just got back from a military exercise for 2 weeks without running :( which sucked but it is ok i just got back thur night and today i did an 11 mile run not too good of time it was slow and walked part but i finished. i will write more later but i hope all of you have a great weekend.

Dave---Im so glad you are ok, what a scary thing to happen

DreamBeliver---WELCOME

...Andrew
I'm confused. Our list says this is Darcey? :confused3 Thanks for the support it's still feeling good for me.

Dave, Whoa! I am so glad you are quick on your feet.

Dream Believer, Welcome to the best group you will ever belong to. Stop by often so we can get to know you.

Christa, I'm glad DH is taking care of you. Someone needs to keep us well.

Stephanie, glad you and DH made it. Sounds like you were a bit of a Mary Poppins flying about there.

Martha, oh man the Gerbil track. I so dislike doing that. I think TM is even better. Hope you didn't aggravate the hip then.

Jen, wise decision to take it easy after being sick. So how was Disney on Ice?

Cecilia, The giving never stops here. That is so kind of you to do those miles for Dave. I'll have to keep you in mind. ;)

CJ, love those quotes.

Monica, I can't believe you are out with the snowshoes these days. That is a good work out I am told. What happened to the Yak trax or whatever they are called. Wasn't that you who were going to try them? Good for you getting the TM in even if you'd rather have been outside.

Kim welcome back!

I went for an indoor workout with the group I spend Saturdays on our trail here. It was a demo for a facility and group personal training they offer. All I can say right now is I am REALLY out of shape/condition. I WISH I could sign up for this workout. It is a bit of a stretch for me to travel during the heart of rush hour though. I'll have to think this out some. I really need more work.

It's lovely fluffy snowing here. I've got to think this, the other stuff is ugly.

Okay, dear WISH team members, needing some help here. DH wants us to take a trip sans kids in early May. I said, well, why don't we try to find a fun race to do wherever we go. Well, lo and behold, both the Minnie and Flying Pig are held that first weekend in May. Hmmm, I said to myself, how can I convince him to go to one of the two----So, wonderful teammates, help me convince DH that either of these races are the way to go! BTW, he's already found great airfare to Tampa, so we'll see!

Oh, and this might be a stupid question (yeah, yeah, I know the only stupid questions are the ones I don't ask), but guys can run the Minnie 15K, right?????:confused3

Tiger Lily - Actually we both post but will usually put our names down at the bottom. I usually post on the WISH boards and she is more active on the Budget Boards. I guess maybe one of us should get our own screen name.

Dave - Glad to hear your okay. Hopefully that person saw you after the fact and are paying more attention to what they are doing.

Posting from work..will get in a few miles when I get home and fill y'all in...just wanted a DISfix.

Andrew

Oh, and this might be a stupid question (yeah, yeah, I know the only stupid questions are the ones I don't ask), but guys can run the Minnie 15K, right?????:confused3
Not stupid, and yes they can!

Dave - :scared1: I would have kicked the crap out of that guy's car! I am so glad you are ok!

I have xt today. I will hit the Y for some stationary bike / magazine reading later today.

Stephanie: great job on the race today!! :thumbsup2 I'd love to hit that time but at my age, I probably won't. But at least I'm running!

Monte: Craig reminded me that the marathon you referred to is in Leadville...which is about 10,000 feet. :scared1: Yikes! Maybe I can walk it. Are you going to run it?

Gatorphipps: I've been known to hide Craig's shoes when he should rest and not work out. :laughing: You need to rest and get better. Oh, and eat chocolate. It's a wonder drug....

Have I mentioned how crazy the people here get when snow is predicted? They storm the grocery stores and buy (I kid you not) milk and toilet paper!!! :confused3 Go figure. Depending on which station you listen to, snow is predicted for tomorrow, well maybe. But sure enough, there they were, frantically getting their shopping in. I'll take my chances and go tomorrow. Maybe the store will be empty....

Martha - Actually I think the marathon is more like 12-13 thousand feet (in some parts), but I have the website for you guys, it's: www.leadvilletrail100.com

Iam not a runner, so I'll be walking the half and if I'm not mistaken Lance Armstrong is suppose to run the 100. Check it out and check out the pictures from last year, the are gorgeous!

Lily - I'm still using my Yak Traks, but the snow has been so deep I'm into snow shoes. A co-worker gave me used pair, but heck they work for me.

Monte

Thanks for posting the link to the Leadville Marathon. I hit it, and discovered the course takes you over 13,188 feet Mosquito Pass :scared1:. Last summer Martha and I hiked to the top of Peak 8, a mere 12,998 feet, and although we made to the top we basically died. We needed to stop every couple of minutes to try to catch our breath. Doing 26 miles in those conditions, truly beautiful though they are, is well beyond my capabilities. I hope to be able to run easy at 6,000 feet in Boulder by July 7. If I can achieve that I'll declare victory.

When I played soccer at CU, many years ago, I was always amazed and humored by visiting teams wheezing and holding their shorts while playing us. Being young, dumb, and a Colorado native, I didn't appreciate the effect of coming up to 6,000 feet. Now that I'm the guy wheezing and holding my shorts, it isn't the least bit funny.

Dave

Unfortunately that happens to all of us. Drivers don't see us or don't care. It's scary how being inside a 3500 pound cocoon of steel changes a human being into an avenging angel of destruction. Glad you pounded the hood and didn't go over it.

Stephanie

That is fast, particularly in poor conditions. Congratulations to you. I've always believed the help you get with the wind behind you doesn't nearly offset the harm with the wind in your face.

I hope to be able to bike tomorrow. Today just wasn't going to happen.

Craig

Gotta do a drive by toady as I am deep in planning meals for our June trip to WDW. Hope all are well and training is going fine. PD and hugs to all in need. I got outside today because it was a balmy 30 degrees with 5 to 10 mph winds and managed a really fine 10 hilly miles. Actually it turned out to be 10.1 in 1:26:22 for an 8:33 MPM overall pace.

Great training all. Mike "goofyguy" B

Dave, I am so glad you are okay. That must have been pretty frightening.

To all who have races - best wishes for a great event. May your goals be met.

I got in 3 mile walk on the TM today with 20min stretching after. I think I pinched a nerve in my neck last week, because I can't turn my head to the right with out pain. It has been improving, but I am not sure what the heck I did.

Have a great weekend.
Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter